Superdan147
September 3, 2017, 7:55am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Tommy
Well, I'm not one of these who thinks we can only be successful playing 442. But we looked a lot more comfortable in our system today than in any of the other games I've seen this season.

We tried to play more football from the off I thought, even if a lot of our passes early on were underhit or sloppy. And when it did have to go longer or more direct, having two up top meant it wasn't gobbled up by their defence as easily.

The other advantage the two up immediately gave us was that we weren't surrendering a big chunk of the possession share. When we have one up top we allow the opposition to have the ball at the back and patiently build play up. Hooper and Vernon often stopped their keeper being able to even give it to his defence in the first place.

1st half we looked pretty solid but didn't really create anything. Great to get the goal from a Dembele cross as I've thought for all his good approach okay, his end product has been poor in the last few weeks.

2nd half they had a couple of breaks forward but generally we contained them very well again. Clarke had his best game for us and Osbourne was fantastic - so dominant.

Mills defended brilliantly but put us in trouble with a poor ball from the main stand touchline to the middle of the pitch trying to force it with his right foot when his feet just weren't set for that.

Rose was very good but there were two moments that Slade will probably speak to him about. Firstly, his yellow card - absolutely ridiculous decision from him to slide in like that, especially considering our recent red card troubles. Secondly, with 5 minutes to go he dwells on the ball in the middle, turns into pressure, loses the ball and they counter on us. Slade was going bezerk on the touchline. Game management and decision making for both points. But otherwise he was very good.

Berrett was alright but I'd still have Clements in over him when he's fit. Could do with putting a bit more fizz on his passes and being more decisive at times when in decent areas.

Thought Woolford looked a footballer. A little short on match sharpness, but he was looking to feed it into the strikers feet and moved into some decent positions.

Hooper impressed me. Thought he was ok last week considering the service he got but today he was a handful. I don't see all the positive comments on Vernon today I'm afraid. I thought he won next to nothing in the air (something Hooper has been slated for recently), ran the ball out of play on the left when we had a decent break on, and 2nd half couldn't get his shot away despite having a 10 yard head start on their recovering defender. Wasn't awful by any stretch, but can't see him being a starter when everyone is fit and ready.

I thought today's subs actually made us stronger with DJ and Matt coming on. As Slade said afterwards on RH, the strength in depth showed in that we made changes and didn't lose anything, if anything being stronger.

Relieved to get the win as pressure would've started to mount had the winless run one on much longer. But it was well deserved and gave us plenty to build on. Positive day.

Absolutely spot on with this assessment tommy. Excellent points about rose, berrett and vernon in particular. Looks like we watched the same game Anyway 😏
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 140
Davec
September 3, 2017, 8:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 42
Well a much improved performance yesterday than previous weeks, we seemed more organised than what we have done and hopefully this is now a turning point, I wouldn't say an excellent performance but it was a solid and professional one, Osborne in particular at the back excelled and Collins may have a job forcing his way back into the team, I thought Mills defended rather well but technically I thought he quite poor, gave the ball away in the 2nd half in a dangerous position and got dispossed quite a few times. Clarke looked more comfortable next to Osbourne than he did next to Collins and Dixon looked solid enough, Dembele just needs to work on his end product and Rose and Berrett did a job in the middle of the park, Woolford as expected looked miles short of match fitness but aside from giving the ball away after 5 seconds he looked competent, I'm sure as he gets fitter he'll get better and should do well for us, I have to say I thought Vernon had a poor game which is probably down to lack of match fitness and Hooper looked much more improved, maybe he needs to be a bit quicker with releasing the ball, whether that be a shot or pass but he gave their back 4 something to think about, Matt also looked short of match fitness when he came on so he should get better with games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 140
Hagrid
September 3, 2017, 8:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,475
Gold Stars: 536
we've won 2 games this season and Vernons played in both. I said last season he was under appreciated and i think he does a lot of work unnoticed. I think he is a very intelligent footballer and we look a better side with him in the team. But all about opinions isnt it
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 3, 2017, 8:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Davec
Well a much improved performance yesterday than previous weeks, we seemed more organised than what we have done and hopefully this is now a turning point, I wouldn't say an excellent performance but it was a solid and professional one, Osborne in particular at the back excelled and Collins may have a job forcing his way back into the team, I thought Mills defended rather well but technically I thought he quite poor, gave the ball away in the 2nd half in a dangerous position and got dispossed quite a few times. Clarke looked more comfortable next to Osbourne than he did next to Collins and Dixon looked solid enough, Dembele just needs to work on his end product and Rose and Berrett did a job in the middle of the park, Woolford as expected looked miles short of match fitness but aside from giving the ball away after 5 seconds he looked competent, I'm sure as he gets fitter he'll get better and should do well for us, I have to say I thought Vernon had a poor game which is probably down to lack of match fitness and Hooper looked much more improved, maybe he needs to be a bit quicker with releasing the ball, whether that be a shot or pass but he gave their back 4 something to think about, Matt also looked short of match fitness when he came on so he should get better with games.

The reason Hooper had a better game is that Scott Vernon occupied their defence to make room for Hooper to play off him. Front men shouldn't be judged on how many headers they win or even the number of goals they score as long as they make chances for their team-mates.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 140
Davec
September 3, 2017, 8:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 42
I do like Vernon and I agree he is under appreciated by fans, he's a players player rather than a fans player but yesterday I thought he was poor, first half he was alright but 2nd half I just don't think he did as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 3, 2017, 8:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Hagrid
we've won 2 games this season and Vernons played in both. I said last season he was under appreciated and i think he does a lot of work unnoticed. I think he is a very intelligent footballer and we look a better side with him in the team. But all about opinions isnt it

It is about opinions but, without the likes of Vernon, players like Dembele don't have the space to weave their magic. And you are spot on, it's noticeable how our best two performances (& wins) have been the games Vernon played.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 140
Cloudy
September 3, 2017, 8:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Vernon's intelligence/experience as a footballer showed through to me.

He doesn't win towering headers but he sure makes sure the defenders don't either, which normally results in the ball staying at the top end of the pitch rather than it being back towards our back 4.
The way he occupies defenders gives so much opportunity to others. I suspect Jamille Matt will do the same, he looked a real beast.

Surprised Tommy felt Vernon was poor, he got a standing ovation from those around us
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 140
rancido
September 3, 2017, 8:59am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,609
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from barralad
Some really interesting comments on here tonight. It would be good to hear from some of those who were very worried in the build up as to whether the performance suggests the team is heading in the right direction.

Well,  nobody has been more critical of the results so far, so for what it's worth I thought we looked more of a unit. Rose had a great game and also Osborne ( ? ) at the back. There was a lot more from Hooper and I think last weeks goal has done him a power of good. Although Berrett had a reasonable game I think Rose deserves a better player alongside him to make a more dynamic mid-field . Dixon did ok but reminded me of Andrew last season , when he took a while to really settle into the game. Certainly , on yesterdays performance, we are heading in the right direction and at the end of September we could be in a more healthy position in the league.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 140
Tommy
September 3, 2017, 9:14am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Cloudy
Vernon's intelligence/experience as a footballer showed through to me.

He doesn't win towering headers but he sure makes sure the defenders don't either, which normally results in the ball staying at the top end of the pitch rather than it being back towards our back 4.
The way he occupies defenders gives so much opportunity to others. I suspect Jamille Matt will do the same, he looked a real beast.

Surprised Tommy felt Vernon was poor, he got a standing ovation from those around us

I wouldn't go as far as to say he was "poor". Thought, much like Berrett yesterday, he did ok but could've done better with quite a few things. Just an average 6/10.

If we are to stick with 2 up front it'll be healthy competition having Vernon (who I do appreciate what he CAN give us) and Matt (looks a handful but too early to judge him technically) vying for that target man role.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 140
HertsGTFC
September 3, 2017, 9:34am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
I think Vernon put in a good shift yesterday especially after a few games out at this early stage of the season. I like his work ethic across the pitch. He's a good hold up man as opposed to a target man bringing down long balls so the more we get the ball to his feet the better.

I guess the question no arises that after a better performance yesterday in the final third will Jones be straight back in next week or will RS go for a bit of continuity for a game or two more?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 140
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.