MuddyWaters
September 4, 2017, 8:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Sometimes it's hard to understand opinions on here.  Only two wins this season and they happen to be the only two games in which Vernon has played and yet there are calls for him to be dropped straightaway.

Berrett considered to be unredeemably rubbish and yet he has played most of career in L1 so he must have something.  Could it be that Slade is doing a better job than Hurst and Bignot at getting the best from him.

Throughout the years I've followed Town, certain players have attracted criticism however well they play, right back to the days of Bobby Mitchell who seemed to get berated for not being Joe Waters when in fact he was the perfect foil for Joe, breaking up play and setting a base for Waters to drive forward.

Every Town player is a Town player and deserves our support.

Amen. Slade is playing both Vernon and Berrett in their preferred positions. Berrett played most of last season on the left wing FFS.
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 140
moosey_club
September 4, 2017, 8:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Sometimes it's hard to understand opinions on here.  Only two wins this season and they happen to be the only two games in which Vernon has played and yet there are calls for him to be dropped straightaway.

Berrett considered to be unredeemably rubbish and yet he has played most of career in L1 so he must have something.  Could it be that Slade is doing a better job than Hurst and Bignot at getting the best from him.

Throughout the years I've followed Town, certain players have attracted criticism however well they play, right back to the days of Bobby Mitchell who seemed to get berated for not being Joe Waters when in fact he was the perfect foil for Joe, breaking up play and setting a base for Waters to drive forward.

Every Town player is a Town player and deserves our support.

Vernon - We were darn lucky against Chesterfield to only concede 1 goal, we were peppered throughout the game and that was more a defensively won 3 points than an attacking one, albeit he played his part. It wasnt a convincing performance in any way.
Berrett......dont think he is the saviour in any shape or form....benefitted from the formation this weekend, maybe he has been "unlucky" to have never really played in his natural central position with our previous managers but Slade can at least see he definatley isnt a left sided winger but he doesnt have the tools for me despite having a decent game Saturday...his touch is poor, he isnt strong or quick or good in the air and has a limited passing range...Slade might not want those things, he might want a steady Eddie to free up the flair players but i just honestly think we have better players in the squad (maybe not fit yet) who should be above him in the pecking order.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 140
Tommy
September 4, 2017, 9:00am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
I get the point you're trying to make londonmariner, but no-one is unfairly slagging off Vernon or Berrett. Or making personal insults.

Discussing opinions on players performances and team selections is a big part of a football forum like this. So if we can't do that constructively then we'll be left with the ridiculous "lets count to a million" thread in non-football.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 140
jonnyboy82
September 4, 2017, 9:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
It's the fishy rule number one ..

1. If you don't agree on an opinion of a certain player or rate a certain player then that automatically means you have slagged that certain player off and made personal insults at that certain player.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 140
Mariners_15
September 4, 2017, 9:33am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
On a side note why wasn't Clifton on the bench on Saturday. I didn't go to the checkatrade match but the general consensus was that he had a really good game, only to find himself dropped again..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 140
LondonMariner43
September 4, 2017, 9:35am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
I agree it's all about opinions but there's always some players that we seem to develop very fixed views about rather than getting the benefit of the doubt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 140
Cloudy
September 4, 2017, 9:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
IMHO Vernon did well on Saturday but Berrett mixed some good things with some poor things. Probably very similar to every player at League 2 level. Many Lge 2 players can do things that the top players can do, its just that they cannot do it as consistently.

For me, Berrett is more inconsistent than most
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 140
Maringer
September 4, 2017, 9:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,490
Gold Stars: 185
Berrett has actually done a lot better in the past couple of games I've seen (Derby and Crewe). If he can keep up that level of performance then I suppose I could overlook the weaknesses in his game, but I'm not convinced that he can. I think Clements is a pretty good player so he would be more likely to be my pick if fit and available.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 4, 2017, 10:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Cloudy
IMHO Vernon did well on Saturday but Berrett mixed some good things with some poor things. Probably very similar to every player at League 2 level. Many Lge 2 players can do things that the top players can do, its just that they cannot do it as consistently.

For me, Berrett is more inconsistent than most

Inconsistency is very subjective though. I would say that Berrett was inconsistent last season because of the different positions he was asked to play in. This season, he looks more consistent because he's playing in a more natural position. Also hard to form too fixed an opinion on the whole team because, again, the squad has changed so much. Could Hooper be better than Sam Jones? Could Rose be better than Jamey Osborne? etc.
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 140
HertsGTFC
September 4, 2017, 10:28am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Inconsistency is very subjective though. I would say that Berrett was inconsistent last season because of the different positions he was asked to play in. This season, he looks more consistent because he's playing in a more natural position. Also hard to form too fixed an opinion on the whole team because, again, the squad has changed so much. Could Hooper be better than Sam Jones? Could Rose be better than Jamey Osborne? etc.

I also think that playing with Rose could be helping Berrett. At the risk of getting shot at for having an opinion again I think Berrett has a good skill level but his ability to win and retain the ball is something that worries me. Agreed he is not a natural "take defenders on" wide player. When Osborne and Clements are fully fit I would expect Berrett will be under real pressure for his place so it will be interesting to see what impact that might have on his performance levels.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 140
15 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.