ginnywings
September 2, 2017, 5:33pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Much better.

For the first home game this season, we didn't look second best and deservedly won. Thought Osborne had a great full debut at the back and the others in defence were solid too. Woolford looked a little off the pace but you can tell he's a decent player. Reports of Hooper's sh1teness are greatly exaggerated, thought he had a good solid game, but for me the MOM was the goalscorer Rose, who i thought had an excellent game. Puts out a lot of fires and always seems to be where the ball is, which is a good sign in a player.

Vernon made us tick much better up front and he is a very clever footballer. He was missed in his absence. Dembele had some good moments but the end product isn't there from him yet. Matt looked a handful for their tiring defence and looks to be a decent change striker.

All round, much more balanced and with a better game plan. Not sure if Crewe were average or we made them look average, but apart from one scare, they didn't really threaten. We didn't look like a side which will be at the wrong end of the table on the showing today. Promising.
Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
September 2, 2017, 5:34pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

Great all round team performance and a much needed win, hard to pick... but stand out performers for me....Osborne and dare I say it...Hooper.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2017, 5:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Much better - especially Hooper - Woolford, though rusty was a massive improvement on Kelly. Rose & Berrett always looked to have options today and therefore we kept the ball better. Hard to pick out an MOM - probably Osborne for me though Clarke looked more comfortable with him than he has with Collins.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 140
Mariner Ronnie
September 2, 2017, 5:43pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Glad to put that bogey to bed.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 140
gobby
September 2, 2017, 5:51pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +772
Gold Stars: 7
Much improved. Happy.  
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 140
KingstonMariner
September 2, 2017, 5:54pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Good to get the win and what sounds a better performance.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 140
barralad
September 2, 2017, 5:55pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
So much better than the previous home games. Difficult to single players out in a very good all-round team performance. Macca made a great stop late on in that one on one, only bettered by Osbourne's straight after which prevented a certain goal. Both full backs did their defensive duties well and Mills was extremely unlucky with the effort that hit the bar. Osbourne was immense at the back and must surely start next week. It is hard to see Collins and Clarke starting together any time soon. Rose looks a real find and Woolford will get fitter and better. Vernon led the line well and Hooper was a revelation. He put himself about, had plenty of good touches and his movement was much better. Crewe had no idea what to do with Dembele.
If I'm being picky I thought we should have had more shots when in good positions but we did more than enough to win the game.
Two up front simply has to be the start point, at least at home. Not much evidence of hoof-ball today.  

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 140
chaos33
September 2, 2017, 6:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Absolutely agree with Barralad.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 140
LH
September 2, 2017, 6:04pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,503
Gold Stars: 173
Deserved winners today. Lots of good performances about but I'll give MOTM to Rose. A good start to the season for him and looks like he might be important. Hope he can lose the yellow card he keeps getting because we'll miss him. Really good work rate from Vernon and Hooper - the latter being rightly criticised for lacking effort in recent games but he's set himself a high bar to maintain today. We look so much more comfortable and threatening with two up front and I feel we have missed Vernon's work ethic in the time he's been out.

It wasn't completely brilliant. I still think we should have signed a left sided defender. Dixon is very no frills and I think that was apparent a couple of times today. We still lack athleticism and pace at the back but I was impressed with Osbourne today - very old school in his no nonsense approach and a bit quicker than our other centre halves.

I didn't think Crewe were very good at all. There must be aome awful teams about in the league if they went into this unbeaten! Ref wasn't the worst despite having to blow two full time whistles. A clean sheet and eleven men finishing a game was unexpected this morning but it makes me feel a lot better about this season if only for this week!

Finally I hope the injured player is ok. You could tell it was a bad one by the speed at which the medical staff were called for and the oxygen came on.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 140
Mrs Doyle
September 2, 2017, 6:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Yes agree with everything said massive improvement, better finishing and final ball would have seen us clear by a bigger margin.

Looked better with two players up front plenty of chances.

At the back Clark.Mills and particularly Osborne looked very solid.

Rose is looking better every game and took his goal well.

Macca made a couple of crucial saves when called upon.  Dembele was almost unstoppable the ball seems glued to his feet just lacking a finish but it will come.

Sat in the main behind the dug out must say their manager was a real twhat for once the officials seemed unbiased but he was constantly nagging at the fourth official.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 140
oldun
September 2, 2017, 6:21pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Agree with previous comments. Rose is an important player for us. The work he does to stop attacks is immense. Plus today he had more options up front and out wide and played some good passes . Good debut from Woolford, given he has not played much for a couple years. Did a good interview after the match. Clearly has much to offer and is likely to get a few goals when he is up to speed and settles in. I can see him and Dixon making a good partnership on the left. Also and excellent debut by Osbourne almost faultless display and my MOM. Dembele again did well with some trickery and is definately more of a threat out wide. Having Vernon up front was a good outlet and brought the best out of Hooper who was everywhere today. After all the criticism well done JJ you have raised the bar.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 140
oldun
September 2, 2017, 6:25pm

Whiskey Drinker
Hope their player is ok. It looked serious at the time but the officials and medics responded well. Their physio was giving him mouth to mouth until the oxygen arrived.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 140
mariner tommy
September 2, 2017, 6:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,870
Gold Stars: 12
What a difference to last Saturday, thoroughly deserved win against a side unbeaten until today.
We made them look ordinary with our pace and workrate.
The back four played as a unit with Clarke and Osborne missing nothing, and the latter has surely done enough to keep his place next game. Berrett and Woolford didn't make any mistakes of note and Rose and Dembele were at times, almost unplayable.
Up front Vernon and Hooper were onto everything and looked dangerous.
Even the three subs were straight at it when then came on, especially Jaiyesimi and Matt who both look to be full of pace.
My MOM would be Rose I think followed closely by Macca who had one of his best games for a long while.
One other thing of note, I thought that's the best refereeing performance we've seen for a long time.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 140
mimma
September 2, 2017, 6:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
One little thing for me is the way we sat back in the last ten minutes inviting pressure when we didn't need to. We jjust retreated to our own box.

Other than that we played well with two upfront.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 140
barralad
September 2, 2017, 6:29pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from oldun
Hope their player is ok. It looked serious at the time but the officials and medics responded well. Their physio was giving him mouth to mouth until the oxygen arrived.

One of the stewards said after the game that their lad went straight to hospital, regaining full consciousness in the ambulance. It did look very bad. Their physio was on almost before the ref. had stopped blowing his whistle.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 140
LH
September 2, 2017, 6:30pm

Quoted from oldun

Mouth to mouth without chest compressions? He was more likely talking into his ear as you keep your sense of hearing longest when unconcious.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 140
mariner91
September 2, 2017, 6:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,627
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from mimma
One little thing for me is the way we sat back in the last ten minutes inviting pressure when we didn't need to. We jjust retreated to our own box.

Other than that we played well with two upfront.

I think that's a natural thing to happen when you've been on a bad run of form. If you're only up by one goal, you probably don't have the confidence to go looking for a second goal and would rather sit on what you have. If we can get a bit of form and confidence then hopefully that will improve.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 140
barralad
September 2, 2017, 6:32pm
Mariners Trust
Some really interesting comments on here tonight. It would be good to hear from some of those who were very worried in the build up as to whether the performance suggests the team is heading in the right direction.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 140
AndyGTFC
September 2, 2017, 6:34pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Deserved the win as Crewe were poor. First goal is vital at this level and we were well worth the lead and then were well organised defensively with Osbourne being the standout while still threatening on the break.

Hooper and Vernon are much better in a two as well, best to judge them like that than up front on their own with nobody near them, especially when they're not out and out goalscorers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 140
promotion plaice
September 2, 2017, 6:40pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

I can finally take a peek at the league table now  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 140
wigworld
September 2, 2017, 6:42pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
I don't what to say. Sounded like a 4-4-2 formation? Crazy idea - will never work.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 140
Cloudy
September 2, 2017, 6:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Didn't think much to Crewe and if they are likely to challenge we are certainly in with a shout. Porter for them has been scoring for fun but looked very slow and lethargic. The lad Cooper who destroyed us at Gresty Road last season looked a bit lightweight and a tantrum case!

Town were well worth their win IMO and the much maligned Hooper and Clarke both did well. Last week I read about the lack of leaders. When the crowd was quiet you could hear Clarke shouting, organising, cajoling.

Rose was very good but again a stupid stupid yellow card. Stay on your feet man!

Vernon led the line extremely well especially after a few weeks out.

Feeling a bit more positive about trips to Mansfield and then Stanley.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 140
golfer
September 2, 2017, 6:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
Couldn't fault anyone today. Hooper my star man .Osbourne added the missing ingredient at the back Collins is going to have a job to get back in-even our friend Berrett had a good game especially first half. T oday they made Crewe look a very ordinary team  indeed. This is the first time I've complemented them---well done lads and also to Slade for changing  the tactics
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 140
hheh2
September 2, 2017, 6:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Katie Osborne had a good game then, centre back starter?

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 140
ginnywings
September 2, 2017, 6:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from barralad
Some really interesting comments on here tonight. It would be good to hear from some of those who were very worried in the build up as to whether the performance suggests the team is heading in the right direction.

I was never unduly worried as it was only four games into the season and the team is still developing. We had two full debuts today and one as a sub, so the team is still taking shape. Obviously, it gets a bit twitchy when you lose three straight but Crewe looked no great shakes despite being unbeaten and at the top end of the league. There were many predicting a battering by Derby that didn't happen and again, most were predicting a defeat today, which again didn't happen. It's the way footy fans are though isn't it? Lose three and we are heading for relegation. Win three and we are heading for promotion. I think we have enough decent experienced players to be comfortable and an equally experienced manager. Whether we have enough to threaten the top 7 will remain to be seen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 140
headingly_mariner
September 2, 2017, 7:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Much improved today and quite an enjoyable game. Good performances all over the pitch. Standouts were Hooper and the two centre halves. Thought Rose and Berrett complimented each other nicely. Dembele was a threat every time he got the ball.

On seeing Hooper play in the last two league games I think a few people on here have made twits of themselves. He looks decent, runs the channels well and has some quality.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 140
newarkmariner
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
well that was a nicer, calmer drive back to Newark ,i thought we were superb today ,every player worked hard and the 442 was exactly what was needed, back 4 were superb and I think Collins will struggle to get back in the side ,was worried about the midfield before the game but they did very well especially Rose who was everywhere .up front we looked a real threat , Vernon was superb as was JJ,Dembele had there left back on a plate all afternoon but took some harsh treatment for his trouble(hed best get used to it).Woolford looked a bit rusty at first but you can tell hes a good footballer and got better as the game went on,DJ and Matt did well when they came on causing havoc with their pace,only criticism and its only a small one is that they need to pull the trigger sometimes rather than look for another player.Feeling a lot better about the season ,roll on Mansfield UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 140
Garth

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
We were stronger and more physical than them Vernon being the difference, I did not think Crewe were up to much and looked like a team that started the season well but will fade, on the other hand we looked today like a team that is starting  a winning run
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2017, 7:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I'm quite happy to admit that I wasn't impressed by Hooper till today - might I also suggest that one or two should eat a bit of humble pie regarding James Berrett who was very good today, particularly in the first half. It was clear that Vernon and Hooper created more opportunities for passes by better movement. Also think that Paul Dixon is bedding in nicely and I'm sure Woolford will with more game time.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 140
The Yard Dog
September 2, 2017, 7:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,473
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from barralad

One of the stewards said after the game that their lad went straight to hospital, regaining full consciousness in the ambulance. It did look very bad. Their physio was on almost before the ref. had stopped blowing his whistle.

He did not go straight to hospital, ambulance crew would not leave until he was stabilize, which was about a further 15 minutes.

Hope the lad has a speedy recovery.

Nice to see the Crewe fans join in with the minute applause.

Good performance all around.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 140
Superdan147
September 2, 2017, 8:21pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Well what a difference a 4-4-2 makes! Much more organised, much more threatening and much more cohesion. I really hope this is how we go now at home! Decent performance with room for improvement is how I would describe it but plenty of positives.

Macca 7/10-quiet game for him but when called upon he made a brilliant save when one on one

Mills-6/10 did some really good things, but then made some stupid mistakes also. Can do better but decent enough

Osborne-8/10 outstanding, composed, won everything in the air and has that bit of pace too. If we can keep him fit, we have a brilliant centre half

Clarke-7/10 much better , won everything in the air and organised well

Dixon-6/10 did get better as the game went on but needs to do better and doesn't fill me with confidence. Still looks off the pace IMO

Dembele-7/10-good performance, made things happen and assisted for the goal

Rose-7/10 strong, mobile, adds energy and scored the winner. However he sometimes dallies on the ball and this nearly cost us today! If he can cut this out he can be a big player for us!

Berrett-6/10 didn't do a lot really? Kept us ticking over I guess but no threat going forward, gave the ball away cheaply too allowing them to break. Surely Clements, osborne, jones are better options when available

Wooldford 6/10-looked rusty, but a fairly competent performance and
something to build on

Vernon-7-10 must be a nightmare to play against. Caused havoc. If only he could guarantee 10-15 a season he would be superb.

Hooper-7/10 decent, held up well at times, looks a threat when he has it at his feet. Hopefully he can get double figures

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 140
UFindusMariner
September 2, 2017, 8:35pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +172
On a completely separate note I cannot wait to see Rose and J.Osborne in CM together.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 140
wigworld
September 2, 2017, 8:48pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
What happened with their penalty that wasn't near the start? JT on Hullberside said it was a definite penalty and the refereee was only 5 yards away.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 32 - 140
ginnywings
September 2, 2017, 8:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from wigworld
What happened with their penalty that wasn't near the start? JT on Hullberside said it was a definite penalty and the refereee was only 5 yards away.

Never a pen. Ball was won cleanly and their player made a meal of it. Rightly booked for simulation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2017, 9:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from UFindusMariner
On a completely separate note I cannot wait to see Rose and J.Osborne in CM together.

So we've won a game with a 442 with a sitting CM and you want to play 2 attacking CMs? You must play a lot of FIFA or Champ Manager!

If we're playing 442 with Mitch Rose in CM and Hooper plays like he did today then there won't be a place for Sam Jones let alone Jamey Osborne.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 140
HertsGTFC
September 2, 2017, 9:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Compared to the last few games "better"...........selection, shape, cohesion, work rate, heart, communication, desire, tenacity, intention, passing, ideas, away fans (on 7 mins) and referee.

Still a massive work in progress but as per the above today was much better in every department  I reckon and despite the odd scary moment the lads deserved all 3 points.

Macca -  Good if not commanding, why he does not come for crosses but is brave enough to go down at a strikers feet

Mills - Good game defended really well, if only he could show some more composure going forward

Dixon - Best game for Town so far

Clarke - Looked more assured with a quicker partner and organised well

Osborne - Top class, quick, good communicator and reads the game well enough to get in front of players

Rose - Again best game for Town, man of the match IMHO

Berret - FFS

Dembelle - Great attitude and added some really good touches

Woolford - Million miles away from fitness but gave it a go.

Hooper - Looking better each week and if he gets a run he could catch fire

Vernon - One of his best game for Town

Subs - OK

Ref - Best of the season in the league home or away.

Also good to see some of the Slade signings that the experts on social media said where crap before they kicked a ball or after a coupe of games do better.

Like I say still a work in progress as you would expect. Crewe gave us a lot of space especially when the game opened up in the 2nd half and if the side was further on it's journey we may/should have got another to close the game out. Additionally the focus needs to be about getting the ball on the ground which to be fair they did do better today but at times went long when players close by where available.

So "better" day at the office, well done Town!

UTM!!

P.S. - If someone can tell me what James Berret brings to the side I would really appreciate it as I can't see he adds any value whatsoever based upon today, when everyone's available we have "better".  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 140
Hagrid
September 2, 2017, 9:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,387
Gold Stars: 532
Your being very harsh on Berrett there. Almost picking him out for the sake of it. He had a good game today as they all did
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 140
LH
September 2, 2017, 9:22pm

Incredibly harsh. Can't really think of a bad performer today for Town. I've been trying to keep a log of the worst player to see who gets the blame the most as decided by the just back threads and today is the only one where I can't see a name nominated. In fact if anything it's gone against the trend today!

I am doing one for the MOTM too before I get accused of being negative!
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 140
headingly_mariner
September 2, 2017, 9:25pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Berrett is looking the part this season. He was excellent today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 140
Mariner_09
September 2, 2017, 9:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
We were so much better than I've seen us at any point this season today, we looked compact and very difficult to break down defensively and very quick and energetic going forward.

McKeown - excellent, made one really good one on one save and another where he rushed the player and pushed him away from goal. Caught crosses and set plays well. Didn't have any other saves to make.

Mills - probably our weakest player, he looked very vulnerable to me. He played their man in at one point in the second half and their winger beat him a couple of times. He looked good going forward often and made a couple of good tackles. He would have been our best player for the last couple of games, which shows our improvement today.

Clarke - best game for us by a country mile, very dominant in the air and didn't get beaten on the floor. He organised his defence better as well I thought.

Osborne - my MOM, made a couple of really good last ditch challenges and was completely no nonsense. He's unbelievably strong and much more athletic than our other centre halves. Didn't try to play fancy football but played simple passes and booted it when necessary.

Dixon- again by far his best game. Very good defensively, as I like full backs to be. He made some really good challenges and tracked a couple of good runs and stopped them before they caused problems. Not particularly athletic but can certainly deliver a cross.

Dembele - not his best game, looked very quick and exciting and can beat men easily but his final ball (except the goal) was generally lacking. Certainly a very exciting player and I'm sure he'll develop as he's only ever played about 6 professional games.

Rose - again the best game he's had for us. A good shout for MOM. Unbelievably energetic and fit, he won an awful lot of tackles and he's worked out he's an athlete not a football and played accordingly, so he didn't play fancy passes but played simple and a couple over the top as their centre halves were very very slow and Hooper easily did them for pure pace a couple of times.

Berrett - standard Berrett game for me. Which is not a bad thing. He was very tidy, kept in shape very, won a lot of headers for a lot of midfielder and was always available to take the ball from wingers, centre halves or the strikers.

Woolford - understandably rusty, showed some neat touches and ran at his full back on a couple of occasions, he has undoubted quality and I'm certain a run of games will only help him.

Hooper - another contender for MOM, ran their centre halves raggid and just before we scored he had one of them on the floor with no idea what to do. Strikes me as very much a confidence player and that wonder goal gave him a lot of that.

Vernon - showed that we badly missed. By far the cleverist striker we have, he makes space for others and holds the ball up well. A good comeback game In my opinion.

The subs did what they had to do, except that awful attempted ball over the top by DJ at the death.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 140
barralad
September 2, 2017, 9:28pm
Mariners Trust
Cliche time:- Football is a team game and Berrett gave a good account of himself in a very good team performance. Personally I don't want much more.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 140
ginnywings
September 2, 2017, 9:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I really don't get all this Berrett hatred. The midfield played well today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 140
Grantley
September 2, 2017, 9:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Osborne, Rose and Hooper excellent. Clarke, Mills, Vernon and Dembele good. Didn't think Berrett was brilliant today but he's getting involved this season, which is a massive improvement on last year. Not sure Dixon was all that good today either but he's been steady.

Dembele is mesmerising to watch but he needs a better end product (I know he got the assist today!)

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 140
TownSNAFU5
September 2, 2017, 9:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,877
Gold Stars: 42
First game of the season for me, for various reasons.  I have read all the reports on earlier games.

JJ Hooper must have been played by his twin brother as he was very good. He got better by the minute in the second half, holding the ball up well and playing others in.

442,great. Vernon has always been effective when I have seen him.  His intelligence, aerial ability and power and influence are underated.

Really enjoyed the game, performance and result.

We need to shoot more when in the penalty area.  And when defending the lead in the last 10 mins, leave at least 1 man up.  We did not and the ball just comes straight back.

We thought that there was an Asian wedding part getting ready in the corner of the Osmond before HT.   It was the energetic girl dancers in decorative dresses about to come on.  

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2017, 9:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I know I'm a James Berrett fan but FFS, Hurst and Bignot played him as a left winger and, yes, he was excrement as a left winger. Put the bloke in his position and he plays to his ability - remember, he played over 200 games in League 1 as a central midfielder. He loses the ball in possession sometimes but he very rarely misplaces a pass.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 140
HertsGTFC
September 2, 2017, 9:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Sorry gents re Berret I just don't see it, I get that he keeps things tidy, agree with that but I just don't see that he adds other than that, I know he can play.

Hagrid - Why would I pick out a player "for the sake of it" ? .

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2017, 10:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Sorry gents re Berret I just don't see it, I get that he keeps things tidy, agree with that but I just don't see that he adds other than that, I know he can play.

Hagrid - Why would I pick out a player "for the sake of it" ? .

Sorry - if you don't get that the midfield duo Rose AND Berrett were instrumental in a pretty decent team performance today, then you really don't understand football. 'I know he can play' - what does that mean? More important, Slade rates him and plays him in his natural position.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 140
Stranger in the Park
September 2, 2017, 10:14pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -189
I want to give some credit to Crewe . They played a very good game of one touch football -as expected - for twenty minutes whilst Town played hoof ball for this period and had lots of supporters around us shaking their heads. When the penny dropped that they themselves could actually play the game as intended a completely different match occurred. I don't know what triggered this turn about but they have now set themselves a standard to maintain and proved a large chunk of moaners and doom merchants wrong.Those of us who did turn out (there were less than 4k town spectators) were treated to a very good competitive game and hopefully we have turned the corner. Yes there were a few rough edges as would be expected of a newly put together team but the improvement was there for all to see.

Note- Very impressed at the rapid attention to the Crewe man down with credit to the ref for seeing the urgency, unlike some others that have been here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 140
HertsGTFC
September 2, 2017, 10:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Sorry - if you don't get that the midfield duo Rose AND Berrett were instrumental in a pretty decent team performance today, then you really don't understand football. 'I know he can play' - what does that mean? More important, Slade rates him and plays him in his natural position.

Because I have seen him play H&A on numerous occasions and play well like he did at Cambridge last year where he ran the game and scored the winner.

To say that "I don't understand football" Just because I don't share your opinion regarding a particular players contribution to the side is very patronizing to be honest. Then again last weekend it was Ginny that copped it from you because he didn't agree with you on something so why would I expect any better.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 140
HertsGTFC
September 2, 2017, 10:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I want to give some credit to Crewe . They played a very good game of one touch football -as expected - for twenty minutes whilst Town played hoof ball for this period and had lots of supporters around us shaking their heads. When the penny dropped that they themselves could actually play the game as intended a completely different match occurred. I don't know what triggered this turn about but they have now set themselves a standard to maintain and proved a large chunk of moaners and doom merchants wrong.Those of us who did turn out (there were less than 4k town spectators) were treated to a very good competitive game and hopefully we have turned the corner. Yes there were a few rough edges as would be expected of a newly put together team but the improvement was there for all to see.

Note- Very impressed at the rapid attention to the Crewe man down with credit to the ref for seeing the urgency, unlike some others that have been here.

Yes very prompt action. I may have heard this wrong as I did not see it but listening to JT and RS on the wireless apparently Rose put the ball out to use his inhaler and the ref got Crewe to play it in back to us.

I thought the ref and both linesmen had good games today.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2017, 10:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Because I have seen him play H&A on numerous occasions and play well like he did at Cambridge last year where he ran the game and scored the winner.

To say that "I don't understand football" Just because I don't share your opinion regarding a particular players contribution to the side is very patronizing to be honest. Then again last weekend it was Ginny that copped it from you because he didn't agree with you on something so why would I expect any better.

Why is it patronising? You put FFS alongside James Berrett in your review of the game and expect the anti Berrett brigade to slap you on the back. The bloke played well today, as did the whole team - get off the bandwagon and give the man some credit. I'm pleased to say that I was wrong about Hooper - he did good today but he wasn't the only one!
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 140
Tommy
September 2, 2017, 10:30pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Well, I'm not one of these who thinks we can only be successful playing 442. But we looked a lot more comfortable in our system today than in any of the other games I've seen this season.

We tried to play more football from the off I thought, even if a lot of our passes early on were underhit or sloppy. And when it did have to go longer or more direct, having two up top meant it wasn't gobbled up by their defence as easily.

The other advantage the two up immediately gave us was that we weren't surrendering a big chunk of the possession share. When we have one up top we allow the opposition to have the ball at the back and patiently build play up. Hooper and Vernon often stopped their keeper being able to even give it to his defence in the first place.

1st half we looked pretty solid but didn't really create anything. Great to get the goal from a Dembele cross as I've thought for all his good approach okay, his end product has been poor in the last few weeks.

2nd half they had a couple of breaks forward but generally we contained them very well again. Clarke had his best game for us and Osbourne was fantastic - so dominant.

Mills defended brilliantly but put us in trouble with a poor ball from the main stand touchline to the middle of the pitch trying to force it with his right foot when his feet just weren't set for that.

Rose was very good but there were two moments that Slade will probably speak to him about. Firstly, his yellow card - absolutely ridiculous decision from him to slide in like that, especially considering our recent red card troubles. Secondly, with 5 minutes to go he dwells on the ball in the middle, turns into pressure, loses the ball and they counter on us. Slade was going bezerk on the touchline. Game management and decision making for both points. But otherwise he was very good.

Berrett was alright but I'd still have Clements in over him when he's fit. Could do with putting a bit more fizz on his passes and being more decisive at times when in decent areas.

Thought Woolford looked a footballer. A little short on match sharpness, but he was looking to feed it into the strikers feet and moved into some decent positions.

Hooper impressed me. Thought he was ok last week considering the service he got but today he was a handful. I don't see all the positive comments on Vernon today I'm afraid. I thought he won next to nothing in the air (something Hooper has been slated for recently), ran the ball out of play on the left when we had a decent break on, and 2nd half couldn't get his shot away despite having a 10 yard head start on their recovering defender. Wasn't awful by any stretch, but can't see him being a starter when everyone is fit and ready.

I thought today's subs actually made us stronger with DJ and Matt coming on. As Slade said afterwards on RH, the strength in depth showed in that we made changes and didn't lose anything, if anything being stronger.

Relieved to get the win as pressure would've started to mount had the winless run one on much longer. But it was well deserved and gave us plenty to build on. Positive day.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 140
Badger57
September 2, 2017, 10:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,896
Gold Stars: 30
HERTSGTFC quote; "Macca -  Good if not commanding, why he does not come for crosses but is brave enough to go down at a strikers feet?"

Not sure about the crosses thing but I can fully identify with it as an old lower Sunday league keeper! I never went for crosses unless I was pretty certain I was going to get it but I didnt like it much. Diving at the feet of an on rushing striker was a completely different thing though, I bloody loved it despite many a kick in the head!!! Just the "crazy to be a goalkeeper" mentality I guess.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 140
HertsGTFC
September 2, 2017, 10:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Why is it patronising? You put FFS alongside James Berrett in your review of the game and expect the anti Berrett brigade to slap you on the back. The bloke played well today, as did the whole team - get off the bandwagon and give the man some credit. I'm pleased to say that I was wrong about Hooper - he did good today but he wasn't the only one!

I think it's patronizing because everyone is entailed to an opinion and just because it does not align with someone else's opined it does not mean that you "don't understand football".

To say I was expecting "the anti Berrett brigade to pat me on the back" is a really cheap shot that you cannot substantiate, It may even indicate that you know nothing about social media which thrives on posters having differing opinions.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 140
HertsGTFC
September 2, 2017, 10:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Badger57
HERTSGTFC quote; "Macca -  Good if not commanding, why he does not come for crosses but is brave enough to go down at a strikers feet?"

Not sure about the crosses thing but I can fully identify with it as an old lower Sunday league keeper! I never went for crosses unless I was pretty certain I was going to get it but I didnt like it much. Diving at the feet of an on rushing striker was a completely different thing though, I bloody loved it despite many a kick in the head!!! Just the "crazy to be a goalkeeper" mentality I guess.

Cheers for that, I thought that bit of keeping from Macca was excellent today as their striker did not expect him to be so assertive plus he made a really good second effort to send their player wide..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2017, 10:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think it's patronizing because everyone is entailed to an opinion and just because it does not align with someone else's opined it does not mean that you "don't understand football".

To say I was expecting "the anti Berrett brigade to pat me on the back" is a really cheap shot that you cannot substantiate, It may even indicate that you know nothing about social media which thrives on posters having differing opinions.

And you accuse me of being patronising? Suffice to say I use social media at work and am more than aware of its' sometimes divisive outcome. As far as Berrett is concerned, I see enough ability to get behind him rather than put a petty 'FFS' next to his name.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 140
HertsGTFC
September 2, 2017, 10:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

And you accuse me of being patronising? Suffice to say I use social media at work and am more than aware of its' sometimes divisive outcome. As far as Berrett is concerned, I see enough ability to get behind him rather than put a petty 'FFS' next to his name.

Shall we call this a draw?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 140
Grimbiggs
September 2, 2017, 10:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Overall a fair better performance at home,industrious, gutsy, determined and battling, rather than showing any great creative endeavour. Osbourne and Rose were the standouts for me, and i think given time Dixon and Woolford can create a decent left-sided partnership. Woolford will be fitter and sharper over the coming weeks, and it's hard to see Kelly getting much of a look in now. Dembele tried a few tricks, but his first touch let him down a couple of times today, an average game for him by his standards. Hooper worked well with Vernon, proving that we need two upfront. And whilst Berrett turns back and slows the play down to much, that was his best home performance. Crewe didn't look much, and apart from a couple of scares in the last ten minutes, and a decent save from Mckeown, they didn't cause us to many problems, and it's hard to see them being any better than a mid table side. So to conclude, more positives than the previous home games, everybody battled hard and put a shift in, and whilst theres still alot of hard work to be done, we for once actually looked like a team. Hopefully the performances and consistency we need, will take us up to the next level.....Onwards and upward UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 140
grimsby pete
September 2, 2017, 10:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,793
Gold Stars: 222
Football is all about opinions,

Nobody can say they are right and you are wrong,

We are not managers so we should respect Slade is more experienced than us fans,

So if he thinks a players deserves his place in the team,

We should think do we know better than him ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 140
louth_in_the_south
September 2, 2017, 11:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,672
Gold Stars: 94
First game of the season and wasn't expecting too much tbh after the hammering the teams been getting over the last couple of weeks .
Well done lads if you're reading this . Difficult to single out any players for praise as I thought everyone gave 100% . Should've won it more comfortably as Crewe didn't offer anything really but happy with the 3 points .
Standout players were osbourne who won everything, hooper who chased everything and nearly got a goal and dembele who looks a real find . So many clever touches on the ball  to beat his man was brilliant to watch and always got himself back to do his defensive duties .
Don't know what all the panics been about !!

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 140
Superdan147
September 3, 2017, 7:55am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Quoted from Tommy
Well, I'm not one of these who thinks we can only be successful playing 442. But we looked a lot more comfortable in our system today than in any of the other games I've seen this season.

We tried to play more football from the off I thought, even if a lot of our passes early on were underhit or sloppy. And when it did have to go longer or more direct, having two up top meant it wasn't gobbled up by their defence as easily.

The other advantage the two up immediately gave us was that we weren't surrendering a big chunk of the possession share. When we have one up top we allow the opposition to have the ball at the back and patiently build play up. Hooper and Vernon often stopped their keeper being able to even give it to his defence in the first place.

1st half we looked pretty solid but didn't really create anything. Great to get the goal from a Dembele cross as I've thought for all his good approach okay, his end product has been poor in the last few weeks.

2nd half they had a couple of breaks forward but generally we contained them very well again. Clarke had his best game for us and Osbourne was fantastic - so dominant.

Mills defended brilliantly but put us in trouble with a poor ball from the main stand touchline to the middle of the pitch trying to force it with his right foot when his feet just weren't set for that.

Rose was very good but there were two moments that Slade will probably speak to him about. Firstly, his yellow card - absolutely ridiculous decision from him to slide in like that, especially considering our recent red card troubles. Secondly, with 5 minutes to go he dwells on the ball in the middle, turns into pressure, loses the ball and they counter on us. Slade was going bezerk on the touchline. Game management and decision making for both points. But otherwise he was very good.

Berrett was alright but I'd still have Clements in over him when he's fit. Could do with putting a bit more fizz on his passes and being more decisive at times when in decent areas.

Thought Woolford looked a footballer. A little short on match sharpness, but he was looking to feed it into the strikers feet and moved into some decent positions.

Hooper impressed me. Thought he was ok last week considering the service he got but today he was a handful. I don't see all the positive comments on Vernon today I'm afraid. I thought he won next to nothing in the air (something Hooper has been slated for recently), ran the ball out of play on the left when we had a decent break on, and 2nd half couldn't get his shot away despite having a 10 yard head start on their recovering defender. Wasn't awful by any stretch, but can't see him being a starter when everyone is fit and ready.

I thought today's subs actually made us stronger with DJ and Matt coming on. As Slade said afterwards on RH, the strength in depth showed in that we made changes and didn't lose anything, if anything being stronger.

Relieved to get the win as pressure would've started to mount had the winless run one on much longer. But it was well deserved and gave us plenty to build on. Positive day.

Absolutely spot on with this assessment tommy. Excellent points about rose, berrett and vernon in particular. Looks like we watched the same game Anyway 😏
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 140
Davec
September 3, 2017, 8:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Well a much improved performance yesterday than previous weeks, we seemed more organised than what we have done and hopefully this is now a turning point, I wouldn't say an excellent performance but it was a solid and professional one, Osborne in particular at the back excelled and Collins may have a job forcing his way back into the team, I thought Mills defended rather well but technically I thought he quite poor, gave the ball away in the 2nd half in a dangerous position and got dispossed quite a few times. Clarke looked more comfortable next to Osbourne than he did next to Collins and Dixon looked solid enough, Dembele just needs to work on his end product and Rose and Berrett did a job in the middle of the park, Woolford as expected looked miles short of match fitness but aside from giving the ball away after 5 seconds he looked competent, I'm sure as he gets fitter he'll get better and should do well for us, I have to say I thought Vernon had a poor game which is probably down to lack of match fitness and Hooper looked much more improved, maybe he needs to be a bit quicker with releasing the ball, whether that be a shot or pass but he gave their back 4 something to think about, Matt also looked short of match fitness when he came on so he should get better with games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 140
Hagrid
September 3, 2017, 8:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,387
Gold Stars: 532
we've won 2 games this season and Vernons played in both. I said last season he was under appreciated and i think he does a lot of work unnoticed. I think he is a very intelligent footballer and we look a better side with him in the team. But all about opinions isnt it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 3, 2017, 8:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Davec
Well a much improved performance yesterday than previous weeks, we seemed more organised than what we have done and hopefully this is now a turning point, I wouldn't say an excellent performance but it was a solid and professional one, Osborne in particular at the back excelled and Collins may have a job forcing his way back into the team, I thought Mills defended rather well but technically I thought he quite poor, gave the ball away in the 2nd half in a dangerous position and got dispossed quite a few times. Clarke looked more comfortable next to Osbourne than he did next to Collins and Dixon looked solid enough, Dembele just needs to work on his end product and Rose and Berrett did a job in the middle of the park, Woolford as expected looked miles short of match fitness but aside from giving the ball away after 5 seconds he looked competent, I'm sure as he gets fitter he'll get better and should do well for us, I have to say I thought Vernon had a poor game which is probably down to lack of match fitness and Hooper looked much more improved, maybe he needs to be a bit quicker with releasing the ball, whether that be a shot or pass but he gave their back 4 something to think about, Matt also looked short of match fitness when he came on so he should get better with games.

The reason Hooper had a better game is that Scott Vernon occupied their defence to make room for Hooper to play off him. Front men shouldn't be judged on how many headers they win or even the number of goals they score as long as they make chances for their team-mates.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 140
Davec
September 3, 2017, 8:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
I do like Vernon and I agree he is under appreciated by fans, he's a players player rather than a fans player but yesterday I thought he was poor, first half he was alright but 2nd half I just don't think he did as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 3, 2017, 8:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid
we've won 2 games this season and Vernons played in both. I said last season he was under appreciated and i think he does a lot of work unnoticed. I think he is a very intelligent footballer and we look a better side with him in the team. But all about opinions isnt it

It is about opinions but, without the likes of Vernon, players like Dembele don't have the space to weave their magic. And you are spot on, it's noticeable how our best two performances (& wins) have been the games Vernon played.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 140
Cloudy
September 3, 2017, 8:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Vernon's intelligence/experience as a footballer showed through to me.

He doesn't win towering headers but he sure makes sure the defenders don't either, which normally results in the ball staying at the top end of the pitch rather than it being back towards our back 4.
The way he occupies defenders gives so much opportunity to others. I suspect Jamille Matt will do the same, he looked a real beast.

Surprised Tommy felt Vernon was poor, he got a standing ovation from those around us
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 140
rancido
September 3, 2017, 8:59am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from barralad

Well,  nobody has been more critical of the results so far, so for what it's worth I thought we looked more of a unit. Rose had a great game and also Osborne ( ? ) at the back. There was a lot more from Hooper and I think last weeks goal has done him a power of good. Although Berrett had a reasonable game I think Rose deserves a better player alongside him to make a more dynamic mid-field . Dixon did ok but reminded me of Andrew last season , when he took a while to really settle into the game. Certainly , on yesterdays performance, we are heading in the right direction and at the end of September we could be in a more healthy position in the league.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 140
Tommy
September 3, 2017, 9:14am
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Cloudy
Vernon's intelligence/experience as a footballer showed through to me.

He doesn't win towering headers but he sure makes sure the defenders don't either, which normally results in the ball staying at the top end of the pitch rather than it being back towards our back 4.
The way he occupies defenders gives so much opportunity to others. I suspect Jamille Matt will do the same, he looked a real beast.

Surprised Tommy felt Vernon was poor, he got a standing ovation from those around us

I wouldn't go as far as to say he was "poor". Thought, much like Berrett yesterday, he did ok but could've done better with quite a few things. Just an average 6/10.

If we are to stick with 2 up front it'll be healthy competition having Vernon (who I do appreciate what he CAN give us) and Matt (looks a handful but too early to judge him technically) vying for that target man role.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 140
HertsGTFC
September 3, 2017, 9:34am

Barley Wine Drinker
I think Vernon put in a good shift yesterday especially after a few games out at this early stage of the season. I like his work ethic across the pitch. He's a good hold up man as opposed to a target man bringing down long balls so the more we get the ball to his feet the better.

I guess the question no arises that after a better performance yesterday in the final third will Jones be straight back in next week or will RS go for a bit of continuity for a game or two more?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 140
DNMariner
September 3, 2017, 9:40am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +100
Personally, Vernon impressed me yesterday. He's 'unspectacular' but he's incredibly clever with how he works and uses his body to unsettle the defence - this noticeably freed up more space for Hooper and I feel it's coincidence that (in my opinion) JJ had his best game for us yesterday. Vernon isn't the type of forward who's going to drop into midfield, pick the ball up, and run at the defence but his presence is just as valuable for applying pressure. It also prevents clearances from coming straight back at us as he challenges in the air, and this gives us an outlet and more time to reset on the transition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 140
lee65
September 3, 2017, 9:41am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Gold Stars: 10
I think we should start with the same 11, a bit of continuity and also a positive message to those who got the victory
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 140
Mrs Doyle
September 3, 2017, 9:42am
Whiskey Drinker
Vernon always puts a real shift in even though he looked short of match fitness (obviously) he still gave his all. This gave Hooper a lot more freedom and he flourished. We kept their defence very busy and with Dembele,Rose.Woolford and D.J. all causing problems.

Crewe flattered to deceive but apart from a couple of lapses our defence looked solid. Osborne looked very good indeed and is very strong and quick.

Hope this is the start of good spell now certainly restored some faith in the stands.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 140
Grantley
September 3, 2017, 9:44am
Fine Wine Drinker
As I said last night, I thought Mills was good. Cut out several passes, made a fantastic tackle in the second half and put in some lovely crosses. Obviously made a shocking pass that put them in but I don't remember many chances from them coming down our right hand side!

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 140
Grantley
September 3, 2017, 9:48am
Fine Wine Drinker
Also, I'm having a real dilemma putting Sam Jones back in the team! Can't really swap him for Hooper or Rose after their performance, swapping him for Vernon means we have to change how we play and swapping him for Berrett means we lose a bit of shape. The only other option would be putting him on the wing but he isn't very good out there.

He's shown petulance when he's played this season, presumably because he doesn't want to play out wide, but I do think that he's one of our best players and the only natural goal scorer in the squad.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 3, 2017, 9:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Grantley
Also, I'm having a real dilemma putting Sam Jones back in the team! Can't really swap him for Hooper or Rose after their performance, swapping him for Vernon means we have to change how we play and swapping him for Berrett means we lose a bit of shape. The only other option would be putting him on the wing but he isn't very good out there.

He's shown petulance when he's played this season, presumably because he doesn't want to play out wide, but I do think that he's one of our best players and the only natural goal scorer in the squad.

All of that - and after getting himself a three game ban, surely it's up to him to earn his place back in the team?
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 140
louth_in_the_south
September 3, 2017, 10:01am

Exile
Berrett had a good game for me , especially 1st half when he bossed the midfield

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 140
Maringer
September 3, 2017, 10:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,490
Gold Stars: 185
Funny how opinions differ.

I thought we were much improved with two up top but don't think we were as good as many seem to. We were certainly the better team in the first half and generally controlled the game. Vernon's efforts allowed Hooper to show some more ability on the ball and we had more of a threat up front than at other times I've seen this season.

However, they quickly took over midfield in the second half and we struggled to get the ball clear at times - no coincidence that we committed almost twice as many fouls as them which meant we needed to do too much defending. I thought Rose was pretty poor for much of the last twenty minutes or so and was well off the pace, often punting the ball forward aimlessly. If he was struggling to breathe then that could explain it, but they broke past our midfield too easily several times and it was only some good defending which saved us.

The big plus was that we defended very well against a team with quite a few big players who were awkward to deal with aerially at set pieces. Their best chance came from a bit of luck as a hacked clearance fell straight to Porter with Mills caught out of position. Thankfully, McKeown and Osborne were on hand to make excellent blocks.

My biggest frustration was that we made too many bad decisions which were just unnecessary. Most of their attacking chances came from us losing possession for no reason as several of our players were caught dwelling on the ball for no reason. Going forward, we managed to butcher some really good counter-attacking opportunities through poor passes or decisions and we really should have made their keeper make some saves given these opportunities.

Despite these criticisms, it was much more encouraging but we need to cut out a lot of the needless errors as we are likely to be caught out by the better teams if we do the same against them.

All in all, nobody had a bad game which has to be good and Clarke certainly performed better alongside Osborne so that's probably put Collins on the bench for now.

Cautiously optimistic but hoping for a big improvement yet as there is certainly enough ability in the team for us to get a lot better.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 140
HertsGTFC
September 3, 2017, 10:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Grantley

To build on a good result and improved performance we need to stay "as is" for a bit I think otherwise all these players who have not played that much together won't gel. I guess the only thing that may impact things is if Slade wants to play one up top away, personally I would stick with e side/shape from yesterday next week, and yes before the Old Codger chips in that does include Berrett.  

I also agree that despite the odd error Mills looked like he was really focused on his defensive duties I would have loved it though if that attempt in the 2nd half had sneaked in.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 140
oldun
September 3, 2017, 10:34am

Whiskey Drinker
On a different aspect from yesterday. The attendance was around 1000 lower than the corresponding fixture at the same time last year and with a similar number of visitors.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 3, 2017, 10:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Berrett had a good game for me , especially 1st half when he bossed the midfield

His best 45 minutes at Blundell Park - less in the game 2nd half when Crewe came at us.
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 140
moosey_club
September 3, 2017, 11:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Just woke up !!

Had a long day on the beer yesterday pre and post match.....pre match chatter was pretty depressing all round, picking the bones out of the England match and lamenting Slades tactics and performances to date....

team news arrived....ooohhhh two strikers...4-4-2 ? At home ?? ...a change we have all clamoured for....the mood was lightened instantly....

As for the game....completely dominant IMO, Crewe hardly saw the Pontoon end first half...noticeable the play was much further up the pitch, the back line was 20-30 yds further forward as a unit which helped condense the play, gave the midfield more options to play to feet which they did, gave Crewe less space to play with and our midfield were also on hand for the second balls and drop offs from the front two.

All in all very comfortable day, a couple of squeaky bum moments at the end which McKeown did superbly with but not to take all three points would have been a travesty.

Highlights for me..Crewe fans singing "we only get sh1t refs"...thought that was our song !!  Rose rock solid in the middle.

Post match chatter was polar opposite to pre match, all very happy and positive.....hopefully Slade will consider this as a much more effective game plan and move away from the lone striker more often.

UTM

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 140
jimgtfc
September 3, 2017, 11:09am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 44
Much improved performance yesterday that will hopefully instill some much needed confidence. We looked a lot more solid at the back with Clarke and Osborne absolutely outstanding. No disrespect to Danny Collins but this has to be the central defensive partnership going forward, they looked like they had played together for years. Mills looked his usual self, very good going forward and is starting to develop a really good understanding with Dembele. Dixon is defensively sound, but he frustrates the life out of me with some really sloppy passes, also contrary to what others have said his crossing is poor, so many times yesterday he couldn't clear the first man. But having said all that his main responsibility is to defend and there's no issues on that front.

For me though the main reason for us looking better defensively is Mitch Rose. I can't state enough how much I rate this guy. He does so much work in that area in front of the back four, intercepting passes, tracking runners, winning tackles and blocking shots, but not only that the lad can play a bit too. Late on in the second half he knocked a couple of lovely balls over the top for Hooper to chase. He really does knit this team together and he's only in his early twenties so Dembele might not be the only playing asset this club has. Rose's partner in crime James Berrett had the best game I've seen him have if I'm honest. He also gets through an incredible amount of work, most of which is unseen, and he looked composed on the ball as well. A couple of sloppy moments late on that I'm sure the Berrett haters will be all too aware of but we can forgive that.

Out wide Dembele gave us his usual unpredictable excitement, and very credible work rate. He is just a consistent end product away from being a complete winger. Woolford on the other side looked understandably short on match fitness but you could see there was enough there to warrant his signature, he looks like an old Alan Buckley style winger in that he's more interested in playing tricky little one two' rather that skinning his full back for pace.

Up top Scot Vernon made the difference big time, he allowed Hooper to play facing the goal rather than with his back to it, he did all the donkey work for him, battling defenders, holding the ball up and laying simple passes off. He doesn't win much in the air but he doesn't really need to as his all round game gives enough. Hooper looked much more comfortable playing with a partner, running in behind and working the channels really well. He's a threat, and with a bit more match sharpness and confidence he'll only improve.

Overall a better performance and we looked so much more comfortable and dangerous playing a 442. Tough game next week but I think we could hurt them on the counter attack.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 140
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 3, 2017, 1:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Interesting how we all watch the same match but can see things completely differently.

On the positives nobody had a poor game and some early season fears i.e. Re Hooper, and to a lesser extent Dixon, may have been dispelled. Like Herts I am not a Berrett fan but agree with others his first half was his best at BP whilst he has been with us, however, thought he faded second half and still not sure he is a defensive midfield player as tackling is certainly not his strength. Also very late in the game thought he was guilty of a naughty studs down the shin tackle which he was lucky the ref did not consider more serious. Also agree with Maringer, that Crewe were allowed to get beyond our midfield two a bit too easily on more than one occasion. However, disagree with Maringer re Rose who I thought played some excellent long balls and only hoofed it once in my recollection near the end which happens.

Vernon is also a guy who can to a lesser extent divide opinion. Accept, he is an intelligent player, with good movement, good close control and great commitment, however, he rarely wins a header, his distribution in the first half was poor and his lack of pace in the second half resulted in two great opportunities to score not even ending with a shot at goal. That said he played an important role yesterday but was a 6/10 at best. If Matt/Asante can be a younger quicker version and Hooper plays like yesterday we may be very useful going forward as all wide options on show yesterday plus Tombola give us pretty exciting options with Woolford looking a decent footballer, the others all having great pace but need improvement re their final ball.

At the back liked Osbourne, however, against the grain maybe after yesterday I would like to see him play with Collins rather than Clarke as this will give us much better balance re right/left foot which should help our shape.

However, will accept that these eleven deserve another go next Saturday.

Also strange when we win at home how often we say we were playing a poor team. I believe we should know from last season that sides in this division can be very unpredictable and inconsistent but also how important getting that first goal really is. Go one down at home and sides sit back, are hard to break down and can be dangerous on the break especially given the lack of pace in our back four.

With the players we still have unavailable we have reason to be optimistic that we will come good and IMHO we may have to wait a while for this to happen but feel we will have a very good second half of the season which will see us push up the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 140
fiveallive
September 3, 2017, 4:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
The best performance of the season that's what i expect from a Slade team they pressed great, fought for the lose balls for once, was always in Crewe's faces all game, Osbourne was the best player on the pitch by far, Hooper ran the channels well looked a lot more energized.

Mills got up the pitch well whipped in some good balls, Clarke should have scored from a great berrett corner, Dixon had a good game best game by far, Rose got stuck in reminded me of Paul Bolland yesterday.

Berrett did okay his best game for the club he does a lot that goes unnoticed unlike Rose who's gets stuck in Clements can get goals from midfield, berrett"s does get missed what he provides at times.

Woolford showed more in 60 mins then Kelly has shown in 5 games, Woolford was going to be rusty no pre season but in a month's time will be a good asset to us once he's match fit, Vernon did well holding the ball up brings others into play nice, Hooper was excellent ran the channels for once could be threat up front now with Vernon, Matt and Hooper to choose from.

I think Sam Jones would struggle to break into the team at the moment, DJ is a good impact player late on with his pace, also Bolarinwa can do that role aswell.

I do think late on we can get bypassed in midfield Crewe on a couple of occasions just ran from midfield untouched and Chris Porter should of buried his chance aswell.

All around very happy with the hard work and commitment shown by the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 140
friskneymariner
September 3, 2017, 4:13pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
The dfrerance about todays game  is  that for long periods we took the game to them instead  of sitting back,until Davies was brought on.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 140
rancido
September 3, 2017, 4:35pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I think Vernon put in a good shift yesterday especially after a few games out at this early stage of the season. I like his work ethic across the pitch. He's a good hold up man as opposed to a target man bringing down long balls so the more we get the ball to his feet the better.

I guess the question no arises that after a better performance yesterday in the final third will Jones be straight back in next week or will RS go for a bit of continuity for a game or two more?

I'd like to see Jones used in the position that he was used to prior to coming here, ie attacking mid-fielder.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 140
HertsGTFC
September 3, 2017, 4:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

[/b]

I'd like to see Jones used in the position that he was used to prior to coming here, ie attacking mid-fielder.

Same TBH, would you go 4-4-2 with Rose as the holding player?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 140
Cloudy
September 3, 2017, 5:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Same TBH, would you go 4-4-2 with Rose as the holding player?

I'm all for attacking football but think that would be suicide with Sirriki, Woolford and Jones in a midfield 4.

Two tough games coming up at Mansfield then Stanley. Stay in the game and break with pace, power and purpose
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 140
HertsGTFC
September 3, 2017, 5:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I think it would be good to stay the same next week. I am sure Jones will force his way in at some point but "unchanged" has to be the way for me.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 3, 2017, 5:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

I'm all for attacking football but think that would be suicide with Sirriki, Woolford and Jones in a midfield 4.

Two tough games coming up at Mansfield then Stanley. Stay in the game and break with pace, power and purpose

If we go 4-4-2, then Jones has to be in the 2 not the 4 which would be very unfair on Hooper.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 140
Tommy
September 3, 2017, 6:07pm
Season Ticket Holder
Agree I don't think we could play Jones in central midfield two in a 442.

When people have said before about him playing as an attacking midfielder, I think it would've been in the line of 3 in Gateshead's 4231 they always seem to favour.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 140
ginnywings
September 3, 2017, 7:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Jones is too good to leave out IMO. You don't leave one of your best players on the sidelines, especially one who has his goal threat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 140
HertsGTFC
September 3, 2017, 7:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
How would you set up/ selection Ginny with Jones back in?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 140
Abdul19
September 3, 2017, 7:51pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
I'd bring in Jones and Matt for Hooper and Vernon. I know Hooper did well yesterday but Jones is a goalscorer. I think the 'don't change a winning team' cliché is just that. Also, Vernon is a clever player and did alright yesterday, but I think that Matt will take his 'target man' place.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 140
Cloudy
September 3, 2017, 7:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Interesting that the Crewe local rag described us as a 'very poor side'.

We certainly aren't world beaters but we were far better than Alex on Sat
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 140
ginnywings
September 3, 2017, 8:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from HertsGTFC
How would you set up/ selection Ginny with Jones back in?

As much as i like Vernon and as well as Hooper played yesterday, one of them would have to give way, so i wouldn't go as far as Abdul and replace both. If pushed for an answer, i would say Vernon's place would be under threat.

Slade has a big decision there, but that's what he's paid for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 140
ginnywings
September 3, 2017, 8:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Cloudy

Hmm, wouldn't say we were very poor. It's not like we didn't deserve to win the game and even their manager said they didn't deserve anything.

I thought we looked pretty decent myself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 140
RonMariner
September 3, 2017, 8:38pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,662
My first game of the season and I was very pleasantly surprised. I feared the worst given some of the comments on here, but the team gave it a real go and I thoroughly enjoyed the match.

Hooper lead the line really well, and put himself about all game. Looks a decent player to me. I thought Rose and  Osbourne were excellent, and Dembele is obviously a great talent in the making.  Dixon and Clarke looked solid at the back, and Macca pulled off a couple of crucial stops when Crewe looked odds on to score. I don't think there was a bad performance from any of the players.

Crewe were a well organised team, who moved the ball well and played a quick passing game. They were no pushovers, and beating them is a creditable achievement given that we are still yet to have a settled side given all of the recent signings, suspensions and injuries.

Adding Jones and Osbourne to yesterdays team will give us a pretty decent squad and I have absolutely no fears that we will get relegated. Whether we will challenge for a promotion spot is hard to say at this point. We really need to see how these players gel over the coming weeks. But based on yesterdays performance I think the signs are looking positive.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 140
chaos33
September 3, 2017, 8:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Quoted from Abdul19
I'd bring in Jones and Matt for Hooper and Vernon. I know Hooper did well yesterday but Jones is a goalscorer. I think the 'don't change a winning team' cliché is just that. Also, Vernon is a clever player and did alright yesterday, but I think that Matt will take his 'target man' place.

I agree. Horses for courses is the way to go. Mansfield away is a different proposition to Crewe at home. I too would bring Jones back in as he is a proven goal threat. For me, he'd be just off a front one in the away game, or one of a front two.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 140
Mariner_09
September 3, 2017, 8:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Are Liverpool going to leave Coutinho out now he's not going to Barcelona just because they played really well without him for one game against Arsenal? Of course they aren't. Personally, I'd play Jones ahead of Hooper next Saturday as I think Vernon's the sort of player who'd hold the ball up well away from home and then bring on DJ and JJ to exploit tired legs at the end of the game next week.

Private Message
Reply: 100 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 3, 2017, 9:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

As much as i like Vernon and as well as Hooper played yesterday, one of them would have to give way, so i wouldn't go as far as Abdul and replace both. If pushed for an answer, i would say Vernon's place would be under threat.

Slade has a big decision there, but that's what he's paid for.

I couldn't drop the player whose presence creates the room for others. It's Hooper or Jones with either Vernon or Matt for me.
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 140
mariner91
September 3, 2017, 9:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,627
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I couldn't drop the player whose presence creates the room for others. It's Hooper or Jones with either Vernon or Matt for me.

I agree, either Vernon or Matt have to play to occupy defenders and allow the room for Jones and Hooper. Jones is best when he's got a bit of room to drive into, he's not so good in close control situations so he needs to be played in a pair.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 140
Mariner_09
September 3, 2017, 9:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Vernon will play next Saturday and Matt against Accrington In my opinion, Hooper and Jones might be rotated as well. See Kayden Jackson was very instrumental In Accrington's 2nd goal yesterday, maybe we didn't play to his strengths because he's started excellently for Accrington.

Private Message
Reply: 103 - 140
jonnyboy82
September 3, 2017, 10:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
James berrett bossing the midfield ? Jesus let's calm down a bit here.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 140
Marinerz93
September 3, 2017, 11:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
I think Town were the stronger side and having an extra striker up top meant the ball didn't come straight back at us. No red card, a clean sheet and a more cohesive Town side than in previous games, all we need is a bit of consistency and well soon start to climb up the table.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 140
Mrs Doyle
September 4, 2017, 5:00am
Whiskey Drinker
I just think playing any TWO up front is the better option albeit Vernon,Jones or Hooper.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 140
Mrs Doyle
September 4, 2017, 5:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner
My first game of the season and I was very pleasantly surprised. I feared the worst given some of the comments on here, but the team gave it a real go and I thoroughly enjoyed the match.

Hooper lead the line really well, and put himself about all game. Looks a decent player to me. I thought Rose and  Osbourne were excellent, and Dembele is obviously a great talent in the making.  Dixon and Clarke looked solid at the back, and Macca pulled off a couple of crucial stops when Crewe looked odds on to score. I don't think there was a bad performance from any of the players.

Crewe were a well organised team, who moved the ball well and played a quick passing game. They were no pushovers, and beating them is a creditable achievement given that we are still yet to have a settled side given all of the recent signings, suspensions and injuries.

Adding Jones and Osbourne to yesterdays team will give us a pretty decent squad and I have absolutely no fears that we will get relegated. Whether we will challenge for a promotion spot is hard to say at this point. We really need to see how these players gel over the coming weeks. But based on yesterdays performance I think the signs are looking positive.

Vernon took more pressure off Hooper playing TWO up front halved the work load and gives their defence TWO problems. Hooper had the better game but he as had more match time than Vernon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 140
jimgtfc
September 4, 2017, 7:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 44
No big decision to be made in my eyes, same team start, Jones on the bench. He's not exactly started the season on fire has he? And Hooper and Vernon worked really well together on Saturday.

Any inclusion of Jones surely means a change from the 442 that everyone has been crying out for and worked so well against Crewe.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 140
LondonMariner43
September 4, 2017, 8:17am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
Sometimes it's hard to understand opinions on here.  Only two wins this season and they happen to be the only two games in which Vernon has played and yet there are calls for him to be dropped straightaway.

Berrett considered to be unredeemably rubbish and yet he has played most of career in L1 so he must have something.  Could it be that Slade is doing a better job than Hurst and Bignot at getting the best from him.

Throughout the years I've followed Town, certain players have attracted criticism however well they play, right back to the days of Bobby Mitchell who seemed to get berated for not being Joe Waters when in fact he was the perfect foil for Joe, breaking up play and setting a base for Waters to drive forward.

Every Town player is a Town player and deserves our support.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 4, 2017, 8:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Sometimes it's hard to understand opinions on here.  Only two wins this season and they happen to be the only two games in which Vernon has played and yet there are calls for him to be dropped straightaway.

Berrett considered to be unredeemably rubbish and yet he has played most of career in L1 so he must have something.  Could it be that Slade is doing a better job than Hurst and Bignot at getting the best from him.

Throughout the years I've followed Town, certain players have attracted criticism however well they play, right back to the days of Bobby Mitchell who seemed to get berated for not being Joe Waters when in fact he was the perfect foil for Joe, breaking up play and setting a base for Waters to drive forward.

Amen. Slade is playing both Vernon and Berrett in their preferred positions. Berrett played most of last season on the left wing FFS.
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 140
moosey_club
September 4, 2017, 8:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Vernon - We were darn lucky against Chesterfield to only concede 1 goal, we were peppered throughout the game and that was more a defensively won 3 points than an attacking one, albeit he played his part. It wasnt a convincing performance in any way.
Berrett......dont think he is the saviour in any shape or form....benefitted from the formation this weekend, maybe he has been "unlucky" to have never really played in his natural central position with our previous managers but Slade can at least see he definatley isnt a left sided winger but he doesnt have the tools for me despite having a decent game Saturday...his touch is poor, he isnt strong or quick or good in the air and has a limited passing range...Slade might not want those things, he might want a steady Eddie to free up the flair players but i just honestly think we have better players in the squad (maybe not fit yet) who should be above him in the pecking order.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 140
Tommy
September 4, 2017, 9:00am
Season Ticket Holder
I get the point you're trying to make londonmariner, but no-one is unfairly slagging off Vernon or Berrett. Or making personal insults.

Discussing opinions on players performances and team selections is a big part of a football forum like this. So if we can't do that constructively then we'll be left with the ridiculous "lets count to a million" thread in non-football.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 140
jonnyboy82
September 4, 2017, 9:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
It's the fishy rule number one ..

1. If you don't agree on an opinion of a certain player or rate a certain player then that automatically means you have slagged that certain player off and made personal insults at that certain player.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 140
Mariners_15
September 4, 2017, 9:33am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
On a side note why wasn't Clifton on the bench on Saturday. I didn't go to the checkatrade match but the general consensus was that he had a really good game, only to find himself dropped again..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 140
LondonMariner43
September 4, 2017, 9:35am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
I agree it's all about opinions but there's always some players that we seem to develop very fixed views about rather than getting the benefit of the doubt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 140
Cloudy
September 4, 2017, 9:39am
Whiskey Drinker
IMHO Vernon did well on Saturday but Berrett mixed some good things with some poor things. Probably very similar to every player at League 2 level. Many Lge 2 players can do things that the top players can do, its just that they cannot do it as consistently.

For me, Berrett is more inconsistent than most
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 140
Maringer
September 4, 2017, 9:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Berrett has actually done a lot better in the past couple of games I've seen (Derby and Crewe). If he can keep up that level of performance then I suppose I could overlook the weaknesses in his game, but I'm not convinced that he can. I think Clements is a pretty good player so he would be more likely to be my pick if fit and available.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 4, 2017, 10:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy
IMHO Vernon did well on Saturday but Berrett mixed some good things with some poor things. Probably very similar to every player at League 2 level. Many Lge 2 players can do things that the top players can do, its just that they cannot do it as consistently.

For me, Berrett is more inconsistent than most

Inconsistency is very subjective though. I would say that Berrett was inconsistent last season because of the different positions he was asked to play in. This season, he looks more consistent because he's playing in a more natural position. Also hard to form too fixed an opinion on the whole team because, again, the squad has changed so much. Could Hooper be better than Sam Jones? Could Rose be better than Jamey Osborne? etc.
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 140
HertsGTFC
September 4, 2017, 10:28am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Inconsistency is very subjective though. I would say that Berrett was inconsistent last season because of the different positions he was asked to play in. This season, he looks more consistent because he's playing in a more natural position. Also hard to form too fixed an opinion on the whole team because, again, the squad has changed so much. Could Hooper be better than Sam Jones? Could Rose be better than Jamey Osborne? etc.

I also think that playing with Rose could be helping Berrett. At the risk of getting shot at for having an opinion again I think Berrett has a good skill level but his ability to win and retain the ball is something that worries me. Agreed he is not a natural "take defenders on" wide player. When Osborne and Clements are fully fit I would expect Berrett will be under real pressure for his place so it will be interesting to see what impact that might have on his performance levels.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 140
Maringer
September 4, 2017, 10:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
I think the formation with Jones in the team is an issue. I know he was effectively playing as a striker last season when he got his goals, but he doesn't necessarily look a natural in the role, and we know he sees himself as a midfielder.

That being the case, do you play him up top alongside Vernon or Matt? Doesn't seem a good idea to me when we've got out and out strikers on the bench.

I'd say that the best place for him to play would perhaps be in the centre of an attacking 3 in a 4-2-3-1 (alongside Dembele and Woolford, I suppose), but that means we've got a load of strikers sitting on the bench or in the stands. He did well last season, but is it enough to build your whole team around him - especially when Slade bizarrely tried to play him out wide earlier in the season!

One thing is for certain, Jones shouldn't be playing in a wide position when we've got 5 wingers on the books!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 4, 2017, 11:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I also think that playing with Rose could be helping Berrett. At the risk of getting shot at for having an opinion again I think Berrett has a good skill level but his ability to win and retain the ball is something that worries me. Agreed he is not a natural "take defenders on" wide player. When Osborne and Clements are fully fit I would expect Berrett will be under real pressure for his place so it will be interesting to see what impact that might have on his performance levels.

Possibly so - also helps with ball retention when you've got movement in the team. However 'rusty' he might have been, it was clear on Saturday that Woolford wanted the ball more than Kelly seems to. I think Clements is the natural competition for Berrett, don't see Osborne as a sitting midfielder.
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 140
TheGoalKipper
September 4, 2017, 11:13am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Possibly so - also helps with ball retention when you've got movement in the team. However 'rusty' he might have been, it was clear on Saturday that Woolford wanted the ball more than Kelly seems to. I think Clements is the natural competition for Berrett, don't see Osborne as a sitting midfielder.

It is much easier for players to play together when they 'want the ball'. One of my big complaints is the lack of movement by players in the England team (e.g. South africa world cup?) is the reluctance of players to move into space and make themselves available to make sure they can give the passer an easy outlet and keep the movement going quickly than the player in posession losing it because the other players are standing around marked. This has been a problem for our players many times this season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 140
lukeo
September 4, 2017, 11:50am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
I'm going to sit back and let RS decide who to play and how to set them up. I just hope he makes the best choices for the game. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 140
mariner83
September 4, 2017, 11:57am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Quoted from Cloudy

The match report I read was very biased towards Crewe I thought, also the highlights on C5 were more favourable to Crewe also.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 124 - 140
TownSNAFU5
September 4, 2017, 4:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,877
It was the first time that I had seen Berrett play this season.  He was generally ok.

But his speed of thought and actions are too slow.  He gets caught in possession more than other players.  Against better and more dangerous teams than Crewe this would be a serious issue (say Donney at home last season).  

As said by others, his first touch can let him down. Last Sat after one first touch by Berrett the ball ended up about 15 feet away.

I think that we can be more effective in the midfield and as a team with somebody else in his place. A bit harsh maybe but true.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 140
louth_in_the_south
September 4, 2017, 4:32pm

Exile
Funny how people see things differently. In the first half especially berrett was always there in cm picking up loose balls and making simple passes to players in space setting up attacks .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 4, 2017, 4:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Funny how people see things differently. In the first half especially berrett was always there in cm picking up loose balls and making simple passes to players in space setting up attacks .

I thought he was excellent first half and I also remember the first touch referred to - Rose had passed to him with a man at his back and he tried to play a return pass under pressure. Anyone remember that he was him that took the corner quickly to allow Dembele to cross?
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 140
moosey_club
September 4, 2017, 5:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I thought he was excellent first half and I also remember the first touch referred to - Rose had passed to him with a man at his back and he tried to play a return pass under pressure. Anyone remember that he was him that took the corner quickly to allow Dembele to cross?

Thats because he cant kick a ball into the goal area from that far away so had to go short.... ...and also Slade took credit for that move post match by saying its something they have worked on at training.....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 140
Mariner93er
September 4, 2017, 6:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Berrett's not bad, nor is he particularly impressive. He did well in spells on Saturday, but when you're alongside someone like Rose who was literally everywhere then that certainly makes his job easier. In all fairness, he's played very little in his correct position, and his performances have already improved this season. I'd love it if he could kick on and gain supporters appreciation, but I don't see it happening personally. As others have said, I think Clement's all around game is better, and he would probably do a better job in there.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 140
moosey_club
September 4, 2017, 7:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mariner93er
Berrett's not bad, nor is he particularly impressive. He did well in spells on Saturday, but when you're alongside someone like Rose who was literally everywhere then that certainly makes his job easier. In all fairness, he's played very little in his correct position, and his performances have already improved this season. I'd love it if he could kick on and gain supporters appreciation, but I don't see it happening personally. As others have said, I think Clement's all around game is better, and he would probably do a better job in there.

i dont think Clements is the solution either really in all honesty, arguably much better on the ball and greater vision but may not have the positional discipline and work ethic.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 140
Cloudy
September 4, 2017, 8:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

i dont think Clements is the solution either really in all honesty, arguably much better on the ball and greater vision but may not have the positional discipline and work ethic.

Agree. Clements seems to have got a lot better by not playing in the eyes of many
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 4, 2017, 8:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

Certainly seemed that Mansfield weren't too sad to see him go, even though he scored against them.
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 140
Mariner93er
September 4, 2017, 8:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
I think Clements performed well when he came in last season, and I thought the defensive side of his game was impressive.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 140
Maringer
September 4, 2017, 9:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Clements worked his nuts off last season and really got stuck in - it was commented on at the time because we were expecting a ball player who didn't put as much effort in. How this has somehow morphed into the idea that he had some sort of a questionable work ethic is just ridiculous!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 140
GyMariner
September 4, 2017, 10:09pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +686
If there was a ball winning centre midfielder that was technically gifted, I'm telling you now, he certainly wouldn't be in this league. Berrett/Clements compliment Rose well IMO.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 4, 2017, 10:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GyMariner
If we had a ball winning centre midfielder that was technically gifted, I'm telling you now, he certainly wouldn't be in this league. Berrett/Clements compliment Rose well IMO.

Absolutely. If Henderson is as good as we've got in England, you sure ain't gonna find one in League 2!
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 140
Mariner_09
September 4, 2017, 10:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GyMariner
If there was a ball winning centre midfielder that was technically gifted, I'm telling you now, he certainly wouldn't be in this league. Berrett/Clements compliment Rose well IMO.

N'Golo Kante? I think that proves your point.

Private Message
Reply: 137 - 140
golfer
September 5, 2017, 12:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Absolutely. If Henderson is as good as we've got in England, you sure ain't gonna find one in League 2!

Thought Henderson looked very" Dickie"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 140
The_Laughing_Mariner
September 5, 2017, 6:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
Joe Waters

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 140
grimsby pete
September 5, 2017, 6:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,793
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Not only a England player but Captain as well

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 140
15 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.