15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner_09
September 3, 2017, 8:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Are Liverpool going to leave Coutinho out now he's not going to Barcelona just because they played really well without him for one game against Arsenal? Of course they aren't. Personally, I'd play Jones ahead of Hooper next Saturday as I think Vernon's the sort of player who'd hold the ball up well away from home and then bring on DJ and JJ to exploit tired legs at the end of the game next week.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 3, 2017, 9:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ginnywings

As much as i like Vernon and as well as Hooper played yesterday, one of them would have to give way, so i wouldn't go as far as Abdul and replace both. If pushed for an answer, i would say Vernon's place would be under threat.

Slade has a big decision there, but that's what he's paid for.

I couldn't drop the player whose presence creates the room for others. It's Hooper or Jones with either Vernon or Matt for me.
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 140
mariner91
September 3, 2017, 9:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,625
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I couldn't drop the player whose presence creates the room for others. It's Hooper or Jones with either Vernon or Matt for me.

I agree, either Vernon or Matt have to play to occupy defenders and allow the room for Jones and Hooper. Jones is best when he's got a bit of room to drive into, he's not so good in close control situations so he needs to be played in a pair.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 140
Mariner_09
September 3, 2017, 9:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Vernon will play next Saturday and Matt against Accrington In my opinion, Hooper and Jones might be rotated as well. See Kayden Jackson was very instrumental In Accrington's 2nd goal yesterday, maybe we didn't play to his strengths because he's started excellently for Accrington.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 140
jonnyboy82
September 3, 2017, 10:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
James berrett bossing the midfield ? Jesus let's calm down a bit here.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 140
Marinerz93
September 3, 2017, 11:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
I think Town were the stronger side and having an extra striker up top meant the ball didn't come straight back at us. No red card, a clean sheet and a more cohesive Town side than in previous games, all we need is a bit of consistency and well soon start to climb up the table.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 140
Mrs Doyle
September 4, 2017, 5:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
I just think playing any TWO up front is the better option albeit Vernon,Jones or Hooper.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 140
Mrs Doyle
September 4, 2017, 5:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from RonMariner
My first game of the season and I was very pleasantly surprised. I feared the worst given some of the comments on here, but the team gave it a real go and I thoroughly enjoyed the match.

Hooper lead the line really well, and put himself about all game. Looks a decent player to me. I thought Rose and  Osbourne were excellent, and Dembele is obviously a great talent in the making.  Dixon and Clarke looked solid at the back, and Macca pulled off a couple of crucial stops when Crewe looked odds on to score. I don't think there was a bad performance from any of the players.

Crewe were a well organised team, who moved the ball well and played a quick passing game. They were no pushovers, and beating them is a creditable achievement given that we are still yet to have a settled side given all of the recent signings, suspensions and injuries.

Adding Jones and Osbourne to yesterdays team will give us a pretty decent squad and I have absolutely no fears that we will get relegated. Whether we will challenge for a promotion spot is hard to say at this point. We really need to see how these players gel over the coming weeks. But based on yesterdays performance I think the signs are looking positive.

Vernon took more pressure off Hooper playing TWO up front halved the work load and gives their defence TWO problems. Hooper had the better game but he as had more match time than Vernon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 140
jimgtfc
September 4, 2017, 7:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 44
No big decision to be made in my eyes, same team start, Jones on the bench. He's not exactly started the season on fire has he? And Hooper and Vernon worked really well together on Saturday.

Any inclusion of Jones surely means a change from the 442 that everyone has been crying out for and worked so well against Crewe.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 140
LondonMariner43
September 4, 2017, 8:17am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
Sometimes it's hard to understand opinions on here.  Only two wins this season and they happen to be the only two games in which Vernon has played and yet there are calls for him to be dropped straightaway.

Berrett considered to be unredeemably rubbish and yet he has played most of career in L1 so he must have something.  Could it be that Slade is doing a better job than Hurst and Bignot at getting the best from him.

Throughout the years I've followed Town, certain players have attracted criticism however well they play, right back to the days of Bobby Mitchell who seemed to get berated for not being Joe Waters when in fact he was the perfect foil for Joe, breaking up play and setting a base for Waters to drive forward.

Every Town player is a Town player and deserves our support.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 140
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.