15 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
September 4, 2017, 10:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,399
Gold Stars: 184
I think the formation with Jones in the team is an issue. I know he was effectively playing as a striker last season when he got his goals, but he doesn't necessarily look a natural in the role, and we know he sees himself as a midfielder.

That being the case, do you play him up top alongside Vernon or Matt? Doesn't seem a good idea to me when we've got out and out strikers on the bench.

I'd say that the best place for him to play would perhaps be in the centre of an attacking 3 in a 4-2-3-1 (alongside Dembele and Woolford, I suppose), but that means we've got a load of strikers sitting on the bench or in the stands. He did well last season, but is it enough to build your whole team around him - especially when Slade bizarrely tried to play him out wide earlier in the season!

One thing is for certain, Jones shouldn't be playing in a wide position when we've got 5 wingers on the books!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 4, 2017, 11:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I also think that playing with Rose could be helping Berrett. At the risk of getting shot at for having an opinion again I think Berrett has a good skill level but his ability to win and retain the ball is something that worries me. Agreed he is not a natural "take defenders on" wide player. When Osborne and Clements are fully fit I would expect Berrett will be under real pressure for his place so it will be interesting to see what impact that might have on his performance levels.

Possibly so - also helps with ball retention when you've got movement in the team. However 'rusty' he might have been, it was clear on Saturday that Woolford wanted the ball more than Kelly seems to. I think Clements is the natural competition for Berrett, don't see Osborne as a sitting midfielder.
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 140
TheGoalKipper
September 4, 2017, 11:13am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Possibly so - also helps with ball retention when you've got movement in the team. However 'rusty' he might have been, it was clear on Saturday that Woolford wanted the ball more than Kelly seems to. I think Clements is the natural competition for Berrett, don't see Osborne as a sitting midfielder.

It is much easier for players to play together when they 'want the ball'. One of my big complaints is the lack of movement by players in the England team (e.g. South africa world cup?) is the reluctance of players to move into space and make themselves available to make sure they can give the passer an easy outlet and keep the movement going quickly than the player in posession losing it because the other players are standing around marked. This has been a problem for our players many times this season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 140
lukeo
September 4, 2017, 11:50am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,294
Gold Stars: 134
I'm going to sit back and let RS decide who to play and how to set them up. I just hope he makes the best choices for the game. UTM
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 140
mariner83
September 4, 2017, 11:57am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Cloudy
Interesting that the Crewe local rag described us as a 'very poor side'.

We certainly aren't world beaters but we were far better than Alex on Sat

The match report I read was very biased towards Crewe I thought, also the highlights on C5 were more favourable to Crewe also.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 124 - 140
TownSNAFU5
September 4, 2017, 4:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,848
Gold Stars: 42
It was the first time that I had seen Berrett play this season.  He was generally ok.

But his speed of thought and actions are too slow.  He gets caught in possession more than other players.  Against better and more dangerous teams than Crewe this would be a serious issue (say Donney at home last season).  

As said by others, his first touch can let him down. Last Sat after one first touch by Berrett the ball ended up about 15 feet away.

I think that we can be more effective in the midfield and as a team with somebody else in his place. A bit harsh maybe but true.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 140
louth_in_the_south
September 4, 2017, 4:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,651
Gold Stars: 94
Funny how people see things differently. In the first half especially berrett was always there in cm picking up loose balls and making simple passes to players in space setting up attacks .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 4, 2017, 4:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Funny how people see things differently. In the first half especially berrett was always there in cm picking up loose balls and making simple passes to players in space setting up attacks .

I thought he was excellent first half and I also remember the first touch referred to - Rose had passed to him with a man at his back and he tried to play a return pass under pressure. Anyone remember that he was him that took the corner quickly to allow Dembele to cross?
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 140
moosey_club
September 4, 2017, 5:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,199
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I thought he was excellent first half and I also remember the first touch referred to - Rose had passed to him with a man at his back and he tried to play a return pass under pressure. Anyone remember that he was him that took the corner quickly to allow Dembele to cross?

Thats because he cant kick a ball into the goal area from that far away so had to go short.... ...and also Slade took credit for that move post match by saying its something they have worked on at training.....

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 140
Mariner93er
September 4, 2017, 6:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,720
Gold Stars: 28
Berrett's not bad, nor is he particularly impressive. He did well in spells on Saturday, but when you're alongside someone like Rose who was literally everywhere then that certainly makes his job easier. In all fairness, he's played very little in his correct position, and his performances have already improved this season. I'd love it if he could kick on and gain supporters appreciation, but I don't see it happening personally. As others have said, I think Clement's all around game is better, and he would probably do a better job in there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 140
15 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.