This thread currently has 16,495 views. Print
12 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 All Recommend Thread
Cloudy
August 26, 2017, 5:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Wycombe were poor but didn't have to do much for the 3 points.

Just felt we lacked any real drive or ambition for the whole game except for a 10 min spell when we scored.

Hooper scored a stunner but prior to that had been a passenger. Kelly has been subbed twice at half time in a week and went off after an hour or so (?) in the other. Again passenger.

Dembele was eased off the ball all game. The word will have gone round.

Ref was atrocious but don't let that disguise how poor we were.

Collins wants a big fine. Experienced defender? That was the most naive challenge knowing he was on a yellow. A 17 year old would have managed the situation far better.

By and large Clarke, Mills did well enough and the lad from Norwich added a bit of spark as did Caldwell in fits and starts.

Deadline day this week. Hope RS has he wheeling and dealing cap on and Fenty releasing some funds otherwise it's gonna be a hell of a struggle
Private Message
Hagrid
August 26, 2017, 5:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,389
Gold Stars: 534
Worried? Too right. We are quite awful, if dembele isnt on song we have nothing at all. Hooper bit better today and a great strike for us goal, in a way was positive that we showed a bit of fight but as footballers, we are extremely poor. collins you're an idiot, what on earth was he doing?! Ref again awful but im fed up of saying that. We have problems, and if we dont sign minimum 4 before deadline day, i dont see us moving anywhere but downwards. Fans wont put up with this, its dire
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 111
mariner tommy
August 26, 2017, 5:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,870
Gold Stars: 12
We managed to get a toe hold back in the game at 2-2, which was hardly deserved.
But our two most experienced players lost that for us, both our centre halves.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 111
Cloudy
August 26, 2017, 5:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from mariner tommy
We managed to get a toe hold back in the game at 2-2, which was hardly deserved.
But our two most experienced players lost that for us, both our centre halves.

What did Clarke do to get singled out?
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 111
NorthseaMariner
August 26, 2017, 5:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,524
Gold Stars: 11
Who hand balled it for the pen, couldn't tell from the Upper?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 111
Hagrid
August 26, 2017, 5:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,389
Gold Stars: 534
We start every game with 10 basically. I am seeing nothing from Kelly to show he is worthy of a place in the 11.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 111
mariner tommy
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from NorthseaMariner

I think it was Collins but not certain

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 111
Grantley
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Defence generally ok except for Collins stupid sending off. Looked like he didn't give a excrement. Whole midfield was ineffective and if Sam Kelly starts the next game, I think I'll have lost any remaining faith in Slade.

Hooper was a bit better than I anticipated and was alright with the ball at his feet, great strike for his goal.

Subs made a difference as DJ and Cardwell added some pace and skill when they came on. Osborne looked assured, at least he'll get a chance vs Crewe.

Rose and Dembele had poor games but still wanted the ball. When Clements is properly back, I really hope he gets a look in.

Mckeown isn't very good at the minute is he? He's not even trying to save most of the goals we concede. Kilip may well he his chance soon.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 111
Mikoo
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: +466
The annoying thing is the majority of goals against us are  from set pieces/balls into the box. Slade prides himself on organised defences and keeping it tight at the back but that just isn't happening.

Something is obviously not working and I'm praying it gets sorted because 6 goals scored in 4 games isn't too bad, but our defence needs to improve massively, especially in the air.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 111
Mariner Ronnie
August 26, 2017, 5:44pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from NorthseaMariner

I thought it was one of their players from the lower findus, but didn't see much appealing from our players, must have been a foul.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 111
ginnywings

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
Worrying lack of cohesion allied to a jittery defence equals trouble. Two absolute brain farts from Collins. The first costing a goal and the second, which was stupid beyond belief, cost us any chance of getting back into the game. Not that we ever do comebacks. If we go behind in a game, it's almost certainly a draw at best and usually a defeat, which is an ongoing problem.

Dixon done twice for their first and third but we gave them a two goal head start with soft defending. We are just too easy to score against. Their third was a good goal but the cross should have been cut out. We never beat Wycombe, so i don't know why i'm surprised in the least. Another bang average side with paltry fans come to BP and take the three points from us all too easily.

I have no idea what Kelly is supposed to be doing or where he is playing. Is he a winger or midfielder?

Wonder what excuses Slade will use this time, though to be fair, it would be nice to finish a game with 11 men.

For Sale- 1 season ticket, lightly used- £250.00
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 111
mariner tommy
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

What did Clarke do to get singled out?

Neither centre half played as a unit in my opinion.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 111
Grimbiggs
August 26, 2017, 5:45pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Better 2nd half, but you can't keep giving soft goals away (The Beast was unmarked twice), and game was lost in the 1st half when we went 2-0 down. The midfield is pedestrian, and the build up in play is so slow, even when we counter attack. The only time we looked threatening was last 20 mins when we were down to 10 men and had no plan. Hooper put himself about, but was to isolated, and took his only chance with a superb strike. Kelly was anoymous, and Clarke and Collins dire, with a stupid needless reckless challenge, that yet again produced another red card. Rose and Berrett worked hard, but lack anything creative , and whilst Dembelle tried, he eventually ran out of steam. Mills played ok, and it may be worth starting with Jaiyesimi, because at least he tried to make things happen. Osbourne threw himself about and at least won a couple of flick on in the opponets penalty area, and with Collins out through suspension at least we ll get a look at him again, although it makes you wonder why Pearson was allowed to leave. At home we have to play with two strikers if we're ever going to win a game. Either Rose or Berrett need to be sacrificed, and preferably replaced with Clements, and Cardwell needs to be given a chance with Hooper. We seriously need some creativity, and the likes of Osbourne to make a return. For all Wycombes endeavour and cheating, they are nt that good. So whilst its still early days, its pretty obvious that we are going to be struggling at the wrong end of the table, and this squad isn't good enough. Onwards and upwards...UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 111
Maringer
August 26, 2017, 5:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
My Dad said there was a blatant foul before their winner? Did the ref have an influence on any of the other goals?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 111
NorthseaMariner
August 26, 2017, 5:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,524
Quoted from Maringer
My Dad said there was a blatant foul before their winner? Did the ref have an influence on any of the other goals?

Looked a push to me, but expect the keeper to get anything that close to goal.

As for their pen I couldn't even make it out on the replays in the bar.

Oh well, onwards and hopefully upwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 111
oldun
August 26, 2017, 6:10pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Pretty sure their pen was for handball but there is some debate about whether it was a Town hand or a Wycombe hand. It is the ref's decision that counts. We played as well with 10 men as we had before and looked more threatening. Did not miss Kelly. DJ looked useful when they managed to pass the ball to him. Dembele ran out of steam but he was asked to play everywhere. Needs to be out wide. Mills was my mom.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 111
barralad
August 26, 2017, 6:18pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
The ref signalled hand ball for the first penalty. From the Ponny it looked like their player handled it but having seen it again in the bar it really is too tough to call.
I thought Collins and Clarke originally handled Akinfenwe well which makes them giving him time to turn for the first goal even more inexplicable.
We get back in it and Collins makes a challenge which you wouldn't expect from a rookie defender.
Great strike from Hooper but once they retook the lead we huffed and puffed without any real guile although you are always up against it with 10 men.
Rose put himself about. Mills gave us some much needed pace at full back.
Dembele will need to get used to games like today because teams realise what a threat he is and will make it vey hard for him.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 111
Mrs Doyle
August 26, 2017, 6:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
i would love to see their peno from where I was sat it looked a clear hand ball but by their player

Having said that we failed miserably to contain Akinfewa he won everything in attack and defence.

We looked toothless up front apart from Hoopers goal he lacks aggression and passion Dembele is doubled and tripled up on teams have worked him out as the main danger.

Another double yellow we now have the worst record in every league not fecking good enough Slade,  

NOT FECKING GOOD ENOUGH.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 111
gobby
August 26, 2017, 6:20pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +772
Gold Stars: 7
Their penalty was handball by Collins. You can not have your arm in the air when attempting to jump for the ball. Some say he was pushed but no one argued the case. Yes the Ref had a mare but we just was not up to it. I feel we have the players in there somewhere but RS seems to struggle to get the best out of them. 5 games 5 Reds and RS says there is no discipline problem within the club! When the fine eventually drops on the floor make him pay it. I am really downbeat at the moment and can not see another win in us, but come Saturday we go again.
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 111
TAGG
August 26, 2017, 6:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from oldun
Pretty sure their pen was for handball but there is some debate about whether it was a Town hand or a Wycombe hand. It is the ref's decision that counts. We played as well with 10 men as we had before and looked more threatening. Did not miss Kelly. DJ looked useful when they managed to pass the ball to him. Dembele ran out of steam but he was asked to play everywhere. Needs to be out wide. Mills was my mom.

The pen was handball by Town player (Collins I think)

Felt sorry for Hooper, thought he ran his socks off and did a descent job.
DJ is a milion times better than Kellly
Osborne looked good when he came on.
Mills mom by a long way.

We need to improve soon or the club will be back in non league and GTFC will be a dead club.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 111
mariner83
August 26, 2017, 6:29pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Collins told Tonduer he handled (but was pushed) not aware he'd been booked for it.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 20 - 111
Les Brechin
August 26, 2017, 6:30pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,708
Gold Stars: 174
Their penalty was when Collins got his first yellow wasn't it for the handball?

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 111
ginnywings
August 26, 2017, 6:30pm

Recovering Alcoholic
My brother said handball by Collins and peno before the ref blew. We were sure it was Collins.

They were more dirty and "at it" than we were but we seem to be getting punished more than the opposition. Their time wasting  and game disruption was on an epic scale right from the off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 111
Andy
August 26, 2017, 6:33pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +143
Gold Stars: 1
We've finished 5 games with 10 men, but it didn't help today as we started with 10 - Kelly was ineffective (polite version.)

Berrett did nothing last season and although most were poor today why does he appear to be Slade's first name on the teamsheet?

Slade first time around always favoured 2 strikers - Reddy/Jones - as most posts say we need 2 strikers to at least give us a chance of a home win!

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 111
oldun
August 26, 2017, 6:35pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from ginnywings
My brother said handball by Collins and peno before the ref blew. We were sure it was Collins.

They were more dirty and "at it" than we were but we seem to be getting punished more than the opposition. Their time wasting  and game disruption was on an epic scale right from the off.

Maybe so but which team got 3 points. We made it easy against a very average team  AKINFENWA and Mikail-Smith apart.
I still worry that our Keeper never went or got near the crosses for goals 1 and 3. Of course both crosses should have been prevented nevertheless!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 111
Mighty_Mariner
August 26, 2017, 6:38pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Collins was unaware hed been booked for the handball so somewhat explains the challenge for the second yellow!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 111
Mrs Doyle
August 26, 2017, 6:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Thought Harry Cardwell made a terrific run when he came on only to be dragged down and won more headers than hooper did.

We look a very bedraggled bunch no coordination beaten by a very poor Wycombe side and more crap officials which seem to have it in for us.

We have developed a reputation as probably the most hated team and crowd towards officials not good.

Some vile comments aimed at the Lino from the lower Findus did not help matters.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 111
Mariner Ronnie
August 26, 2017, 6:44pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Another point, I always thought if the throw in was a foul throw in and it went on the pitch, it is to be given the other way, today it wasn't. 😡

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 111
Mrs Doyle
August 26, 2017, 6:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
Collins was unaware hed been booked for the handball so somewhat explains the challenge for the second yellow!

Still not convinced it was Collins that handled it looked like a Wycombe players hand that deflected the ball.

Either way it matters not we are joint bottom,have the worst discipline of any side and look disjointed in every area of the pitch.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 111
Perkins
August 26, 2017, 6:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Sorry, but for me possibly the worst  group of players since relegation season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 111
chaos33
August 26, 2017, 6:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
FFS - we are short of players. Good players in key positions. We will reap what we sow whilst that is the case. Another sending off. Another home defeat. All the excuses in the world won't drag us away from the fact that the squad assembled isn't good enough and the tactics are f@cking sh1t.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 111
ginnywings
August 26, 2017, 6:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from oldun

Maybe so but which team got 3 points. We made it easy against a very average team  AKINFENWA and Mikail-Smith apart.
I still worry that our Keeper never went or got near the crosses for goals 1 and 3. Of course both crosses should have been prevented nevertheless!

No argument from me. Just pointing out how they managed the game and teams like that seem to get away with it. Time and time again, one of their defenders went to get the ball after it had gone out of play and then left it to the keeper to collect, doubling the time to get the ball back in play. Refs never get a grip of that sort of thing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 111
Vance Warner
August 26, 2017, 6:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,793
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Perkins
Sorry, but for me possibly the worst  group of players since relegation season.

One obvious constant who doesn't appear to have learnt anything
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 111
jonnyboy82
August 26, 2017, 7:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Out of our last three managers Paul Hurst has been the least defensive out the lot , I think that says it all.

Hope I'm not in a wooden box by the time I see two strikers and wingers played as wingers at blundell park again.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 111
chelseacity
August 26, 2017, 7:12pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +364
FFS - we are short of players. Good players in key positions. We will reap what we sow whilst that is the case. Another sending off. Another home defeat. All the excuses in the world won't drag us away from the fact that the squad assembled isn't good enough and the tactics are f@cking sh1t.

What tactics ? long ball to no 9 ? he does not want to mess his hair up, you watch him, he does not head the ball, he would not get into Cleethorpes Town reserve team, he is useless.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 111
golfer
August 26, 2017, 7:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
What do the 2 managers do for their money--urine poor signings-urine poor team selections-urine poor tactics-everything absolutely urine poor-even Bignot wasn't any urine poorer than these 2. A urine poor choice of managers Fenty.-how long have we got these 2 for.The only entertainment was watching the fitness coach confusing our subs at half time. I was that bored i was counting the number of seats in the dug outs--14 for us  but only 13 for the away team-I spent the second half wondering why-I was that drunk off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 111
newarkmariner
August 26, 2017, 7:32pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
1st half utter garbage, second half better, Collins what an imbecile.another long journey home ,haven't really got a lot more to say except that I will hold back on calling for heads to roll until we have played 10 games ,roll on next Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 111
cmackenzie4
August 26, 2017, 7:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Did anyone else notice that Hooper didn't win one header? He just doesn't jump high enough.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 111
MuddyWaters
August 26, 2017, 7:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Did anyone else notice that Hooper didn't win one header? He just doesn't jump high enough.

Edited that.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 111
chelseacity
August 26, 2017, 7:45pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +364
He ducks out of heading the ball in case his hair gets messed up,  i realise he scored but he must be the least interested, least ability so called footballer i ever saw since 1963, he is actually useless, we are playing with 10 men whilst he plays for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 111
friskneymariner
August 26, 2017, 7:46pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from chelseacity

What tactics ? long ball to no 9 ? he does not want to mess his hair up, you watch him, he does not head the ball, he would not get into Cleethorpes Town reserve team, he is useless.

Please could the 3 who red crossed this explain what exactly they disagree with in this statement.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 111
Grantley
August 26, 2017, 7:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Hooper was 1 million times the player I was expecting after reports on here. Was fine with the ball at his feet.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 111
Civvy at last
August 26, 2017, 7:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,204
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Actually Chris he did. He won 1. It was just after he had scored.
We were just slagging him off when he scored. He then won a header and we were looking forward to lashings of humble pie.
Nope, belly still empty and pie back in the freezer.  Don't see it defrosting any time soon

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 111
MuddyWaters
August 26, 2017, 7:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Grantley
Hooper was 1 million times the player I was expecting after reports on here. Was fine with the ball at his feet.

FFS - he doesn't jump, he doesn't make any movement in and around the channels but he can shoot! Does he want the ball on a tee peg and a 10 second window (like he got!) every time he wants to shoot?
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 111
Grantley
August 26, 2017, 7:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

FFS - he doesn't jump, he doesn't make any movement in and around the channels but he can shoot! Does he want the ball on a tee peg and a 10 second window (like he got!) every time he wants to shoot?

Look, don't have a go at people slating Berrett and then do it yourself to another player.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 111
Vance Warner
August 26, 2017, 7:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,793
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from chelseacity
He ducks out of heading the ball in case his hair gets messed up,  i realise he scored but he must be the least interested, least ability so called footballer i ever saw since 1963, he is actually useless, we are playing with 10 men 9 men whilst he plays for us.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 111
MuddyWaters
August 26, 2017, 7:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Grantley

Look, don't have a go at people slating Berrett and then do it yourself to another player.

I'm stating a fact - Berrett wasn't great today either but the basic requirement for a number 9 is to challenge for the ball and make movement either to receive the ball or to make space for others. Hopefully Slade shows Hooper a video of a far less mobile centre forward (Akinfenwa) and tells him that this is what he expects to see in the future. Clearly the guy has some ability but we can't afford two passengers because Kelly is even worse.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 111
Madeleymariner
August 26, 2017, 8:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
Just watched the quick highlights, our defending was shocking, how can we fail to mark the slowest moving object ever seen on a football pitch
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 111
Grantley
August 26, 2017, 8:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I'm stating a fact - Berrett wasn't great today either but the basic requirement for a number 9 is to challenge for the ball and make movement either to receive the ball or to make space for others. Hopefully Slade shows Hooper a video of a far less mobile centre forward (Akinfenwa) and tells him that this is what he expects to see in the future. Clearly the guy has some ability but we can't afford two passengers because Kelly is even worse.

Thing is, Hooper scored a goal. What can you say Berrett has done to deserve place this season?

Trying to compare any striker to Akinfenwa is ridiculous, he's probably the strongest professional footballer ever.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 111
denni266
August 26, 2017, 8:07pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Just watched the quick highlights, our defending was shocking, how can we fail to mark the slowest moving object ever seen on a football pitch

They dont like getting too close to him in case they get stuck in orbit round him
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 111
thevera
August 26, 2017, 8:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +991
Quoted from chelseacity
He ducks out of heading the ball in case his hair gets messed up,  i realise he scored but he must be the least interested, least ability so called footballer i ever saw since 1963, he is actually useless, we are playing with 10 men whilst he plays for us.

And 9 after the the expected sending off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 111
livosnose
August 26, 2017, 8:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,164
Gold Stars: 15
Slades getting a lot of flack but none directed at ' one of our own ' Paul Wilkinson . Hooper and Kelly are his boys make no mistake . Louth twit

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 111
louth_in_the_south
August 26, 2017, 8:19pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,674
Thin ice livvo

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 111
mariner91
August 26, 2017, 8:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,636
Gold Stars: 261
Was thinking that earlier, Kelly is definitely a Wilkp signing and must be one of the worst signings we've made in the last five years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 111
jonnyboy82
August 26, 2017, 8:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Quoted from Grantley

Anyone who defends James berrett needs urgent medical attention.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 111
Perkins
August 26, 2017, 8:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker

Say what you like about Akinfenwa but he's bloody effective and does what we have no one capable of doing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 111
Balthazar Bullitt
August 26, 2017, 8:38pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from Perkins

Say what you like about Akinfenwa but he's bloody effective and does what we have no one capable of doing.

Standing still in the box totally unmarked? I agree.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 111
MuddyWaters
August 26, 2017, 8:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Grantley

Thing is, Hooper scored a goal. What can you say Berrett has done to deserve place this season?

Trying to compare any striker to Akinfenwa is ridiculous, he's probably the strongest least mobile professional footballer ever.

Changed - Berrett was far from the worst player in a Town shirt today and was arguably MOTM on Tuesday - were you there?
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 111
Perkins
August 26, 2017, 8:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Balthazar Bullitt

Standing still in the box totally unmarked? I agree.

That's all it takes.we don't have anyone with the nous to even get IN the box.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 111
Mrbump53
August 26, 2017, 8:51pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +335
Gave the beast too much room so that he is difficult to stop and anyone trying is likely to be flattened but too many times he was left unmarked in the box. Also think that players on a yellow card need to think before charging in. The Wycombe player could see him coming so knew that if he went down then it would be second yellow.

We pick ourselves up brush off the dirt and go on as we are Town. On to the next game which for me will not be the Checkatrade Trophy game!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 111
AndyGTFC
August 26, 2017, 9:02pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Keep shooting ourselves in the foot time and time again. Nothing game but 2-0 down before half time. Get it back to 2-1 but Collins gets sent off. Come back to level and let Akinfenwa score a soft winner.

Wycombe weren't a good side and still scored three against us, which isn't great. We're not defending well and we're barely creating any chances. Other than that, we're alright   But no, we need to step it up fast or it's gonna be a struggle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 111
HertsGTFC
August 26, 2017, 9:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
So firstly can someone explain why Slade who by trade is a school teacher can be at times so dim? Dembelle should have started out wide and Hooper is not a lone striker FFS......... anyway first rant over.  

Second rant! There are so far undiscovered tribes in South America who knew today that Akimfemwa would need dealing with so why the hell did we not appear to have a plan for him? The only thing Gunning ever did right when he was here was get in his face and stop him from playing before he got knocked out and taken off in the home tie last season. If Gunning can do it I am sure at least one of the ageing former internationals we have at the back can?

Third rant, Danny Collins, keep your mouth shut in the press please as you personally have a fair bit to answer for today.

Fourth rant. Why with a couple of minutes and losing 2 - 3 did we not go 3 at the back and sling Osborne up front.

Final rant, for a bit anyway, are we a long ball side or a passing side? I can't tell and it feels like the players are not sure either.      

And breath....................!  

Actually for the first 25 mins or so I think we actually did o.k. in a number of areas but often it came to nothing as in the final third it was all wrong. Their goal was a soft one and if I recall right their first proper attempt and the 2nd was a moment of idiocy to be honest. Actually during the first half when we got the ball down we tried to do some decent stuff and you can see that we do have a few decent footballers in the squad who if the back 4 did not insist on hitting it long could do something if given the ball. .  

I thought the changes where positive at half time and made us more balanced, we in snap shots did some decent stuff and deserved to come back to 2 - 2. Special mention for Mitch Rose who actually grabbed the game and showed took responsibility not just with the penalty but also in his general play. The mid field and forwards at time actually had some cohesion for once.

If the sending off had not happened we would have got a point at least I think. Really disappointed with the 3rd as Macca needs to be more positive and at least look like he wants to come for the ball and Mills got out muscled, maybe if Collins had been on Zack would not have had to be left with trying to tame the beast.

The team,

Macca - Bang average and did not look interested
Mills - Overall much, much better than last week despite the 3rd goal
Dixon - OK and better than last week.
Collins -  Hmmmm.... I think he has the brain but I am starting to question what he has left in his legs.
Clarke - As above
Berret - Did o.k. but nothing more (which is the issue) to be honest, and if we can get him the ball he could have more of an influence.Don't expect him to start once Clements is fit,    
Rose - Good game and took responsibility he will get better still.
Dembelle - Is a wide player FFS, but did his best.
Tombola - Felt for him as in the 2nd half before the sending off he looked like he was linking up well with the offensive players.
Kelly - ????? How he's playing ahead of Cardwell (with Dembelle out wide) I'll never know  
Hooper - Did better today but needs a partner as he needs it to feet, I actually think him and Vernon up front could work to a degree.
Subs - All did o.k. to be fair.

The Manager? - I hope I'm wrong but it feels like he Is the problem IMHO at the moment as we need to get the ball down, play 2 up front, get a a game plan and start dealing with the discipline issues. What also worries me is that too many of the players seem to want to get rid of the ball as soon as they get it which is the sign of a struggling side.

Today did tell me one thing though that actually we do have a few lads that can play when we pass the ball and the shape is right - over to you Mr Slade I think!

UTM!!

BTW - If we go down this season after a lot of years that will be it for me    .

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 111
Grantley
August 26, 2017, 9:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Changed - Berrett was far from the worst player in a Town shirt today and was arguably MOTM on Tuesday - were you there?

You're right, he wasn't. I was there today, and at Chesterfield, and the Cov game. He isn't good enough.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 111
Madeleymariner
August 26, 2017, 9:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
Remember Slade is ace and the least he will do is set us up so we are well organised and hard to beat. His teams are always full of hard working players. The supporters of our new signings former clubs always say the players that left are rubbish but its just sour grapes because they are jealous they did not get to keep them.    UTM    See I'm still on message, see where we are at Christmas
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 111
HertsGTFC
August 26, 2017, 9:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
So firstly can someone explain why Slade who by trade is a school teacher can be at times so dim? Dembelle should have started out wide and Hooper is not a lone striker FFS......... anyway first rant over.  

Second rant! There are so far undiscovered tribes in South America who knew today that Akimfemwa would need dealing with so why the hell did we not appear to have a plan for him? The only thing Gunning ever did right when he was here was get in his face and stop him from playing before he got knocked out and taken off in the home tie last season. If Gunning can do it I am sure at least one of the ageing former internationals we have at the back can?

Third rant, Danny Collins, keep your mouth shut in the press please as you personally have a fair bit to answer for today.

Fourth rant. Why with a couple of minutes and losing 2 - 3 did we not go 3 at the back and sling Osborne up front.

Final rant, for a bit anyway, are we a long ball side or a passing side? I can't tell and it feels like the players are not sure either.      

And breath....................!  

Actually for the first 25 mins or so I think we actually did o.k. in a number of areas but often it came to nothing as in the final third it was all wrong. Their goal was a soft one and if I recall right their first proper attempt and the 2nd was a moment of idiocy to be honest. Actually during the first half when we got the ball down we tried to do some decent stuff and you can see that we do have a few decent footballers in the squad who if the back 4 did not insist on hitting it long could do something if given the ball. .  

I thought the changes where positive at half time and made us more balanced, we in snap shots did some decent stuff and deserved to come back to 2 - 2. Special mention for Mitch Rose who actually grabbed the game and showed took responsibility not just with the penalty but also in his general play. The mid field and forwards at time actually had some cohesion for once.

If the sending off had not happened we would have got a point at least I think. Really disappointed with the 3rd as Macca needs to be more positive and at least look like he wants to come for the ball and Mills got out muscled, maybe if Collins had been on Zack would not have had to be left with trying to tame the beast.

The team,

Macca - Bang average and did not look interested
Mills - Overall much, much better than last week despite the 3rd goal
Dixon - OK and better than last week.
Collins -  Hmmmm.... I think he has the brain but I am starting to question what he has left in his legs.
Clarke - As above
Berret - Did o.k. but nothing more (which is the issue) to be honest, and if we can get him the ball he could have more of an influence.Don't expect him to start once Clements is fit,    
Rose - Good game and took responsibility he will get better still.
Dembelle - Is a wide player FFS, but did his best.
Tombola - Felt for him as in the 2nd half before the sending off he looked like he was linking up well with the offensive players.
Kelly - ????? How he's playing ahead of Cardwell (with Dembelle out wide) I'll never know  
Hooper - Did better today but needs a partner as he needs it to feet, I actually think him and Vernon up front could work to a degree.
Subs - All did o.k. to be fair.

The Manager? - I hope I'm wrong but it feels like he Is the problem IMHO at the moment as we need to get the ball down, play 2 up front, get a a game plan and start dealing with the discipline issues. What also worries me is that too many of the players seem to want to get rid of the ball as soon as they get it which is the sign of a struggling side.

Today did tell me one thing though that actually we do have a few lads that can play when we pass the ball and the shape is right - over to you Mr Slade I think!

UTM!!

BTW - If we go down this season after a lot of years that will be it for me    .

Oh yeah, the ref..............Just like everyone we have had in this league season to date, blatantly inconsistent knew the rules but did not know how to apply them and lacked fitness.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 111
Grantley
August 26, 2017, 9:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Also, I'll say it again but getting rid of Bignot was a mistake. He was building a project that would've cost money and Fenty panicked. Now we've a cheap squad with no real strengths but staff that we for some reason couldn't get under Bignot?

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 111
livosnose
August 26, 2017, 9:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,164
Gold Stars: 15
Slades getting a lot of flack but none directed at ' one of our own ' Paul Wilkinson . Hooper and Kelly are his boys make no mistake . Louth twit

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 111
jamesgtfc
August 26, 2017, 9:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,956
Gold Stars: 190
Akinfenwa can't even walk properly but he was the best player on the pitch today. His warm up was just hitting the ball in the air and controlling it but we gave him too much space for the first and the second should have been stopped.

Much better performance from Hooper but he needs to learn how to get up and win a header. Kelly was anonymous and Dembele was marked out of the game.

Another red card so there is obviously a discipline problem. Berrett shoved a player first half and Rose took a player out from behind for his yellow card. Both could easily have been a red.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 111
Mariner93er
August 26, 2017, 9:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Slades the manager, and is ultimately the man who makes the final decision on signings, and the tactics. So he should be the one who receives the flak.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 111
Maringer
August 26, 2017, 10:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Grantley
Also, I'll say it again but getting rid of Bignot was a mistake. He was building a project that would've cost money and Fenty panicked. Now we've a cheap squad with no real strengths but staff that we for some reason couldn't get under Bignot?

Flipping heck, I personally wouldn't have sacked Bignot at that point last season, but the idea he was somehow 'building a project' is revisionist history at its finest. He signed loads of players, played them in all sorts of strange and unusual formations but clearly didn't have any sort of a plan what should be happening on the field.

Slade's current attempts at tactics/a formation clearly aren't working but let's not delude ourselves that they somehow negate what Bignot wasn't doing. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 111
stevethefish
August 26, 2017, 10:26pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +773
Gold Stars: 66
So.....

Ridiculous disciplinary record after 5 games ....

Genuinely Unlucky with injuries so far ......the worst for years I would suggest.

BUT.......Exactly same position as last year...

Won first league game, lost next three league games with a hardfought loss to Derby in the cup sandwiched in the middle.

Trends are worrying, but still extremely early.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 111
HertsGTFC
August 26, 2017, 10:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Grantley

What does "building a project mean"?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 111
Mighty_Mariner
August 26, 2017, 10:29pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Still not convinced it was Collins that handled it looked like a Wycombe players hand that deflected the ball.

Either way it matters not we are joint bottom,have the worst discipline of any side and look disjointed in every area of the pitch.  

Collins admitted after the game he had handled it but said he was pushed in the back by a Wycombe player which the officials missed.... among with a lot of overt things I might add!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 111
arryarryarry
August 26, 2017, 10:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Clear hand ball by Collins, no idea why his hand was so high up.

Apart from 10/15 minutes in the second half we were poor as were Wycombe.

One up front again and no effort at goal till the penalty.

Too many poor players and I include Hooper despite his cracking goal.
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 111
Grantley
August 26, 2017, 11:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

What does "building a project mean"?

Developing a youth system that produces for the future, improving the training ground, allowing younger players to develop and buying good non-league players to sell for profit. Football clubs aren't just about what happens on the pitch these days.

And before anyone says, I know that he naive tactically and in the media. They were big weaknesses. And if the rumours are to be believed, wasn't the best person to take training.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 111
HertsGTFC
August 26, 2017, 11:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Grantley

Developing a youth system that produces for the future, improving the training ground, allowing younger players to develop and buying good non-league players to sell for profit. Football clubs aren't just about what happens on the pitch these days.

And before anyone says, I know that he naive tactically and in the media. They were big weaknesses. And if the rumours are to be believed, wasn't the best person to take training.

Utter clap trap...........and a post that I hope is tongue in cheek.

The Youth system was in place before and during Hurst's time, not sure he improved the training ground, the only youngster he picked was Henderson then he threw him under a bus on the radio after an inept managerial performance at Stevenage, how many non league players have been sold for profit? None in fact the good ones are all injured as he threw them straight in from part time training to full time which makes them vulnerable to injuries.

Add to this he signed his mates from Kiddy and Mansfield, appointed a head of recruitment who instead of being out on match days spotting talent sets the cones out for the warm up, Had no credible reserve keeper for the last 5 months of the season, moaned abut the pitch at Cheapside but declined the offer of numerous training pitches about the town. Made himself and at time the club look idiotic in the media etc.. etc.. etc...

Yeah it's not all "just about what happens on the pitch these days" but it should be!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 111
Grantley
August 26, 2017, 11:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Utter clap trap...........and a post that I hope is tongue in cheek.

The Youth system was in place before and during Hurst's time, not sure he improved the training ground, the only youngster he picked was Henderson then he threw him under a bus on the radio after an inept managerial performance at Stevenage, how many non league players have been sold for profit? None in fact the good ones are all injured as he threw them straight in from part time training to full time which makes them vulnerable to injuries.

Add to this he signed his mates from Kiddy and Mansfield, appointed a head of recruitment who instead of being out on match days spotting talent sets the cones out for the warm up, Had no credible reserve keeper for the last 5 months of the season, moaned abut the pitch at Cheapside but declined the offer of numerous training pitches about the town. Made himself and at time the club look idiotic in the media etc.. etc.. etc...

Yeah it's not all "just about what happens on the pitch these days" but it should be!  

Why would it be?

The same youth system that has sold about 2 players for money in about 10 years? Don't see why he'd get to improve the training ground, that costs money. I have to agree about Henderson... but what about those youngsters I assume he'd been promised that he could sign? He was adamant Venney, Wright and Clifton would be kept on so someone pulled the plug on that deal. And I think you're being quite picky about the 'injured good non-league players'- Osborne's injury came after nearly a month of pre-season, 3 months after Bignot left. And who was it that discovered Bogle in the first place?

Change a couple of words in your last paragraph and we can apply that to Paul Hurst's reign as well.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 111
HertsGTFC
August 26, 2017, 11:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Grantley

Why would it be?

The same youth system that has sold about 2 players for money in about 10 years? Don't see why he'd get to improve the training ground, that costs money. I have to agree about Henderson... but what about those youngsters I assume he'd been promised that he could sign? He was adamant Venney, Wright and Clifton would be kept on so someone pulled the plug on that deal. And I think you're being quite picky about the 'injured good non-league players'- Osborne's injury came after nearly a month of pre-season, 3 months after Bignot left. And who was it that discovered Bogle in the first place?

Change a couple of words in your last paragraph and we can apply that to Paul Hurst's reign as well.

Interesting point about Bogle considering before Bignot signed him he had been at Celtic, Brum and West Brom as a youngster. Could be argued that Hurst "discovered him" as he took him from the 2nd tier of non league into the football league.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 111
Mrs Doyle
August 27, 2017, 8:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Perkins

He sure is we failed miserably against him he's a man mountain but the ultimate target man.

His wining goal was so easy a (FREE HEADER) our defence seemily totally fecked without Collins but NOBODY even challenged him for that header so disappointing.

As he waddled back to the half way line with a beaming smile you could not help but think yeah you did us again big fella.

The awful reality is Blundell Park as become a easy win for teams and as been for quite a while.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 111
Cloudy
August 27, 2017, 9:08am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Grantley

I still believe getting rid of Bignot was correct. Whether having Slade lined up to replace him was right is another matter
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 111
Cloudy
August 27, 2017, 9:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Grantley

Why would it be?

He was adamant that all those had SIGNED new deals. No plug was pulled in that respect, he was very economical with the truth
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 111
Mrs Doyle
August 27, 2017, 9:14am
Whiskey Drinker
On Hooper, he scored a lovely goal but he needs to show a lot more commitment and urgency even INTEREST ffs imho.

He has all the attributes to be a target man but his lack of movement, commitment and holding the ball under pressure frustrates the hell out of me.

In stark contrast Cardwell or was it Cliffton? looked keen,hungry,quicker and sharp when he eventually came on I know who would get my vote.

I honestly think we do not have a striker to hold the front line on there own in the way Bogle did perhaps Slade and especially Wilkinson should realise this and play TWO up front.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 111
rancido
August 27, 2017, 9:33am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Remember Slade is ace and the least he will do is set us up so we are well organised and hard to beat. His teams are always full of hard working players. The supporters of our new signings former clubs always say the players that left are rubbish but its just sour grapes because they are jealous they did not get to keep them.    UTM    See I'm still on message, see where we are at Christmas

Be careful what you wish for!.
When Slade came back there were a lot of posters on here who were absolutely over the moon that he had returned. Well I've seen nothing to change my mind that it was a poor choice and MB should have been retained to complete his 2 year plan. Lets face it if he had been kept we couldn't be in a worse position than we are now. Yesterdays starting line-up featured 6 Slade signings so there is very little validity in trying to say he inherited a poor squad. Even the injured players who weren't available eg Osborne ?, weren't his signings.
Including last season , Slade has been in charge of 9 competitive games and we have had a player sent off in 6 of those - this must be some kind of record. On another thread there are calls for JF to dig in his pocket to make funds available for more players but judging by Slade's signings it will just be throwing good money after bad. Probably more fading stars ( like Clarke , which was also an opportunity to bring one of his favourites in ! ) or other clubs rejects. Even Accrington , on their one would assume limited budget, can assemble a squad that can perform.  The problem is Slade and unfortunately it would take a very bold move by JF to replace him so soon after bringing him in. I seem to recall AB mk2 was replaced early in he season after a mediocre start to he season but ( unwarranted in my opinion ) but I don't think JF has the b*lls to do the same with Slade.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 111
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
August 27, 2017, 10:05am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from rancido

When Slade came back there were a lot of posters on here who were absolutely over the moon that he had returned. Well I've seen nothing to change my mind that it was a poor choice and MB should have been retained to complete his 2 year plan. Lets face it if he had been kept we couldn't be in a worse position than we are now. Yesterdays starting line-up featured 6 Slade signings so there is very little validity in trying to say he inherited a poor squad. Even the injured players who weren't available eg Osborne ?, weren't his signings.
Including last season , Slade has been in charge of 9 competitive games and we have had a player sent off in 6 of those - this must be some kind of record. On another thread there are calls for JF to dig in his pocket to make funds available for more players but judging by Slade's signings it will just be throwing good money after bad. Probably more fading stars ( like Clarke , which was also an opportunity to bring one of his favourites in ! ) or other clubs rejects. Even Accrington , on their one would assume limited budget, can assemble a squad that can perform.  The problem is Slade and unfortunately it would take a very bold move by JF to replace him so soon after bringing him in. I seem to recall AB mk2 was replaced early in he season after a mediocre start to he season but ( unwarranted in my opinion ) but I don't think JF has the b*lls to do the same with Slade.

AB mk3 had a really bad start to the season and got sacked after 6 games, but the thing that was stupid with that, is he was given about 5p to spend in the transfer window, then we brought in loads of signings under newell to try and fix it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 111
KingstonMariner
August 27, 2017, 10:13am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

AB mk3 had a really bad start to the season and got sacked after 6 games, but the thing that was stupid with that, is he was given about 5p to spend in the transfer window, then we brought in loads of signings under newell to try and fix it.

He might not have had much to spend on transfer fees (if any) didn't he bring in a load of players who were later ditched/paid off? Or was that the season before under Grezza?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 111
rancido
August 27, 2017, 10:15am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96

AB mk3 had been out the game for a while and maybe the whole situation had moved on. Slade has no such excuse and with all his contacts he should be able to find better players than the ones he has so far.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 111
Swansea_Mariner
August 27, 2017, 10:17am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
I think it was just Richard Hope that was paid up by Newell from AB3, Heywood saw out the season in the bench. Then when Woods got the job he cleared out about half a dozen of Newells players in the first week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 111
headingly_mariner
August 27, 2017, 11:35am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
That was a hugely disappointing game.  I thought we were poor in both boxes and that's what cost us. Our centre halves looked weak and accident prone. It surely has to be questioned how the club couldn't offer Pearson a contract until they had shifted Boyce. It's a pathetic reason to lose a player like Shaun.

I have to say I thought Hooper was decent. He's weak in the air but he makes decent runs and has ability with the ball at his feet. Great finish on his only chance to shoot.

I thought we worked hard but looked lacking in quality. I'm sure Slade will tinker with the formation as he's not the sort who won't change things.

It's extremely early days bit we need to show improvement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 111
lew chaterleys lover
August 27, 2017, 12:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from rancido

We have been over this many times about Bignot. The players had lost faith in him, the "board" had lost faith in him as had a lot of fans. In my opinion it was the correct decision to dismiss him.

I was thrilled with the Slade appointment as I assumed with his contacts in the game and seen how some of his previous teams played lovely football that it was a good appointment.

What has been a disappointment is the inability for him to land his first choice targets. I can only assume that is down to the budget not being good enough, which again surprises me as I didn't think he would take the job without some certainty he would get the budget needed to be in the top 7.

Slade is experienced enough to know that we must quickly improve; he will need to get a couple of really good loanees in and start getting the team to gel.

The main problem, regardless of the manager, is that  we are being held back by John Fenty who will not accept working with others to secure the extra investment we need.
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 111
HertsGTFC
August 27, 2017, 2:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Bignot was right for GTFC and I think it's telling that as far as I am aware he is not currently working in the full time game or even at a reasonably high level in the semi pro world, I might be wrong about that though he may have found a job.

I think that if Slade had not been available then Bignot might have got a stay of execution but the fact that he had lost the players a long while before his exit, failed to reduce the wage bill, left us with no back up keeper for 4 months and continually made massive gaffs and "allegedly" told lies in the media it was inevitable he'd get the bullet probably sooner than later.  

Slade is proving to be a very lazy appointment by JF though he has a decent reputation in the game he has never got a pro side promoted and could be argued that his career had gone backwards very quickly since his PO defeat Orient. I am sure there where better options out there.

I was really concerned with Slade's RH interview last night as he sounded very deflated and a little lost, even at this early stage both in that interview and on the pitch yesterday it felt like his message may not be getting through to the players which is really worrying.

Ironically I hope he pulls this round as he clearly is an honest bloke and based upon his record as a "non chairman" I would not trust JF to appoint any credible replacement.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 111
Gaffer58
August 27, 2017, 2:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
All I can assume from Slade's 1 man up front formation is the hat he does not trust the defence/midfield so is trying to keep things tight. Well we have tried it for long enough now so it's time to change and go for a more attacking formation. If we have more threat and possession in the opponents half, penalty area probably our defence would be less under pressure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 111
friskneymariner
August 27, 2017, 3:30pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

He sure is we failed miserably against him he's a man mountain but the ultimate target man.

His wining goal was so easy a (FREE HEADER) our defence seemily totally fecked without Collins but NOBODY even challenged him for that header so disappointing.

As he waddled back to the half way line with a beaming smile you could not help but think yeah you did us again big fella.

The awful reality is Blundell Park as become a easy win for teams and as been for quite a while.

Before that cross should not been allowed to put in.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 111
friskneymariner
August 27, 2017, 4:10pm

Champagne Drinker
It was Hooper who allowed the cross to be put across for third goal.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 111
quebec38
August 27, 2017, 4:24pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,575
Gold Stars: 48
Dixon- jury is still out for me.
Rose- gives the ball away a fair bit but does have one string to his bow at least in that he can win the ball. Which leads me to...
Berrett- doesn't bring enough to the team for me. I couldn't tell you one thing he excels at.
Kelly- dragged off at ht. Says it all.

Positives
T Bol- showed some good touches. Shame Collins' stupidity cost him his place on the pitch.
DJ- must start v Crewe.
Hooper- heard bad things from the Derby game but thought he was OK yesterday. Needs a partner.

Where do we go from here?
Part of me would like to see a 3 at the back with Collins, Clarke and Osborne but I guess that's not realistic so for me next week we need to play 4-4-2.
We do have weapons at the business end of the pitch and we need to start using them. That won't happen whilst the ball wont stick up front with Hooper on his own. I also think we need some experience up there so step forward Vernon. He's not gonna knock in 20 a season but he could be a good foil for JJ who can do that (hopefully).
DJ and Dembele on the wings, Rose in the centre and then the conundrum of who to partner him. Triers but I'm not a fan of Berrett or Summerfield. Probably reckless but does Jones have the discipline to play in a 2 in the middle with Rose? Out of other ideas atm so I would be willing to try it. Which leave us with McKeown - Mills, Clarke, Osborne, Dixon - Dembele, Rose, Jones, DJ - Hooper, Vernon.
Very attacking and what do I know but we had our best spell yesterday when we went for it, full backs overlapping and playing with some urgency.
My two pennies worth.
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 111
lukeo
August 27, 2017, 4:24pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Anyone read maccas book not all black and white? I've just read it whilst on holiday and even in that, without being rude Macca stated a few home truths about JF.. The fact he got a clean sweep of trophies one year then JF had the cheek to try offer him half the wages he was on, loads of other small things that make me realise where the problem still lies all these years. This is coming from someone who's kind of always respected JF and thought highly of him as a gtfc fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 111
MuddyWaters
August 27, 2017, 4:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from lukeo
Anyone read maccas book not all black and white? I've just read it whilst on holiday and even in that, without being rude Macca stated a few home truths about JF.. The fact he got a clean sweep of trophies one year then JF had the cheek to try offer him half the wages he was on, loads of other small things that make me realise where the problem still lies all these years. This is coming from someone who's kind of always respected JF and thought highly of him as a gtfc fan.

Reading Macca's book is highly recommended. It's not terribly well written but gives quite an insight into how the club is run.
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 111
KingstonMariner
August 27, 2017, 4:59pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from quebec38
Rose- gives the ball away a fair bit but does have one string to his bow at least in that he can win the ball. Which leads me to...
Berrett- doesn't bring enough to the team for me. I couldn't tell you one thing he excels at.

Positives
T Bol- showed some good touches. Shame Collins' stupidity cost him his place on the pitch.
DJ- must start v Crewe.
Hooper- heard bad things from the Derby game but thought he was OK yesterday. Needs a partner.

Part of me would like to see a 3 at the back with Collins, Clarke and Osborne but I guess that's not realistic so for me next week we need to play 4-4-2.
We do have weapons at the business end of the pitch and we need to start using them. That won't happen whilst the ball wont stick up front with Hooper on his own. I also think we need some experience up there so step forward Vernon. He's not gonna knock in 20 a season but he could be a good foil for JJ who can do that (hopefully).
DJ and Dembele on the wings, Rose in the centre and then the conundrum of who to partner him. Triers but I'm not a fan of Berrett or Summerfield. Probably reckless but does Jones have the discipline to play in a 2 in the middle with Rose? Out of other ideas atm so I would be willing to try it. Which leave us with McKeown - Mills, Clarke, Osborne, Dixon - Dembele, Rose, Jones, DJ - Hooper, Vernon.
Very attacking and what do I know but we had our best spell yesterday when we went for it, full backs overlapping and playing with some urgency.
My two pennies worth.

Welcome Quebec.

Nice balanced post.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 111
TownSNAFU5
August 27, 2017, 5:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Running the club is about seeing the bigger picture, not justing trying to run the business with the lowest cost option.  

The Danny Butterfield transfer comes to mind. He went on to play at Palace at a high level for a number of years.   He left for a derisory difference in his wages,between what he asked for and what the Club offered.   The club could have met the small increase.  They did not do so and a good player was lost to us.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 111
KingstonMariner
August 27, 2017, 5:01pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from lukeo

If that story is true, and I have no reason to think it's not (and I've never heard of a refutation), it puts paid to that idea that managers have been given a free hand if he's meddling in players wages. But that was a decade ago so, who knows, maybe he's learned.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 111
MuddyWaters
August 27, 2017, 5:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Running the club is about seeing the bigger picture, not justing trying to run the business with the lowest cost option.

The Danny Butterfield transfer comes to mind. He went on to play at Palace at a high level for a number of years.   He left for a derisory difference in his wages,between what he asked for and what the Club offered.   The club could have met the small increase.  They did not do so and a good player was lost to us.  

As in the difference between running a business that requires keeping your customers happy as opposed to how cheap you can buy your raw materials (fish)?
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 111
wormy
August 27, 2017, 5:22pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +62
Yeah does have some interesting insight into the club. I noted Macca was keen to let us know exactly how little he got paid in his last season but not so keen to let us know how much he got paid at his peak. I wonder why?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 111
HertsGTFC
August 27, 2017, 5:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from quebec38

Positives
DJ- must start v Crewe.

My two pennies worth.

Good post, that suggested side looks decent enough to me, I think Collins and Jones are still suspended for Crewe as I understand the Checkatrade does not count for bans apparently but I could be wrong.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 111
Bradford Mariner
August 27, 2017, 5:34pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +88
Gold Stars: 2
There was nowhere near enough speed of play with the ball and nowhere near enough pressure when not in possession.

Slade has signed too many players who simply aren't up to standard and now we're stuck with them for 2 years ffs.

This team has got 'relegation fodder' written all over it.

And we got rid of Bignot for this ........

Well done, Mr Fenty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 111
arryarryarry
August 27, 2017, 5:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Quoted from Bradford Mariner
There was nowhere near enough speed of play with the ball and nowhere near enough pressure when not in possession.

Slade has signed too many players who simply aren't up to standard and now we're stuck with them for 2 years ffs.

This team has got 'relegation fodder' written all over it.

And we got rid of Bignot for this ........

Well done, Mr Fenty.

Don't worry about it, according to , Freemoash88 it's all about the 2 year plan.
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 111
toontown
August 27, 2017, 6:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,276
Gold Stars: 70
Checkatrade does count for bans as far as I am aware
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 111
toontown
August 27, 2017, 6:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Also, good post Quebec. I would not normally advocate trying jones in a midfield two but with Rose being so defensive and happy to sit it might just work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 111
lew chaterleys lover
August 27, 2017, 6:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from MuddyWaters

As in the difference between running a business that requires keeping your customers happy as opposed to how cheap you can buy your raw materials (fish)?

It is hard to believe that a club with a good history,decent fan base, and who are a proper league club have had to rely on one man for so long.

This day and age, with football more important than ever, there must be investors out there with the vision, funding and nous to take us on surely?

What is his end game? Is it to get the new stadium (?!) and then recoup his money somehow? When does he think he will relinquish control?

Presumably he doesn't want to spend the rest of his life as a non chairman, with us bobbing about in league 2? Its about time we had the beginnings of a new golden age, but even if we get the new stadium we would need major changes, or rather a complete clear out from top to bottom with funding to match. A new stadium will only do so much; if the current regime is still in place if it ever gets built, you can imagine it will quickly lose its lustre.

I know its tiresome to keep complaining, but it is difficult to see what his plan is, other than hope he gets lucky and a decent manager, like Slade, can somehow perform a miracle.  
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 111
MuddyWaters
August 27, 2017, 7:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker

I know its tiresome to keep complaining, but it is difficult to see what his plan is, other than hope he gets lucky and a decent manager, like Slade, can somehow perform a miracle.  

It would be nice to know if there is a plan. I suspect that the fanbase are supposed to be grateful that the club was kept afloat and out of administration but somewhere along the line we've been overtaken (in some cases massively) by clubs that have gone bust and been re-invented (Leicester, Bournemouth and Rotherham being three that spring to mind.)
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 111
ex-merseymariner
August 27, 2017, 7:54pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Quoted from toontown
Checkatrade does count for bans as far as I am aware

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2017/august/collins-and-jones-available-for-checkatrade/

fraid it doesnt

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 111
toontown
August 27, 2017, 8:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Oops - corrected.

Ta exM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 111
KingstonMariner
August 27, 2017, 8:29pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

So it's not even any flipping good for that then!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 111
KingstonMariner
August 27, 2017, 8:32pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from wormy
Yeah does have some interesting insight into the club. I noted Macca was keen to let us know exactly how little he got paid in his last season but not so keen to let us know how much he got paid at his peak. I wonder why?

So John, are you suggesting it's OK if salaries average out over time?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 111
12 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.