Cloudy
August 27, 2017, 9:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Grantley

Why would it be?

The same youth system that has sold about 2 players for money in about 10 years? Don't see why he'd get to improve the training ground, that costs money. I have to agree about Henderson... but what about those youngsters I assume he'd been promised that he could sign? He was adamant Venney, Wright and Clifton would be kept on so someone pulled the plug on that deal. And I think you're being quite picky about the 'injured good non-league players'- Osborne's injury came after nearly a month of pre-season, 3 months after Bignot left. And who was it that discovered Bogle in the first place?

Change a couple of words in your last paragraph and we can apply that to Paul Hurst's reign as well.

He was adamant that all those had SIGNED new deals. No plug was pulled in that respect, he was very economical with the truth
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 111
Mrs Doyle
August 27, 2017, 9:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
On Hooper, he scored a lovely goal but he needs to show a lot more commitment and urgency even INTEREST ffs imho.

He has all the attributes to be a target man but his lack of movement, commitment and holding the ball under pressure frustrates the hell out of me.

In stark contrast Cardwell or was it Cliffton? looked keen,hungry,quicker and sharp when he eventually came on I know who would get my vote.

I honestly think we do not have a striker to hold the front line on there own in the way Bogle did perhaps Slade and especially Wilkinson should realise this and play TWO up front.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 111
rancido
August 27, 2017, 9:33am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Remember Slade is ace and the least he will do is set us up so we are well organised and hard to beat. His teams are always full of hard working players. The supporters of our new signings former clubs always say the players that left are rubbish but its just sour grapes because they are jealous they did not get to keep them.    UTM    See I'm still on message, see where we are at Christmas

Be careful what you wish for!.
When Slade came back there were a lot of posters on here who were absolutely over the moon that he had returned. Well I've seen nothing to change my mind that it was a poor choice and MB should have been retained to complete his 2 year plan. Lets face it if he had been kept we couldn't be in a worse position than we are now. Yesterdays starting line-up featured 6 Slade signings so there is very little validity in trying to say he inherited a poor squad. Even the injured players who weren't available eg Osborne ?, weren't his signings.
Including last season , Slade has been in charge of 9 competitive games and we have had a player sent off in 6 of those - this must be some kind of record. On another thread there are calls for JF to dig in his pocket to make funds available for more players but judging by Slade's signings it will just be throwing good money after bad. Probably more fading stars ( like Clarke , which was also an opportunity to bring one of his favourites in ! ) or other clubs rejects. Even Accrington , on their one would assume limited budget, can assemble a squad that can perform.  The problem is Slade and unfortunately it would take a very bold move by JF to replace him so soon after bringing him in. I seem to recall AB mk2 was replaced early in he season after a mediocre start to he season but ( unwarranted in my opinion ) but I don't think JF has the b*lls to do the same with Slade.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 111
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
August 27, 2017, 10:05am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from rancido

When Slade came back there were a lot of posters on here who were absolutely over the moon that he had returned. Well I've seen nothing to change my mind that it was a poor choice and MB should have been retained to complete his 2 year plan. Lets face it if he had been kept we couldn't be in a worse position than we are now. Yesterdays starting line-up featured 6 Slade signings so there is very little validity in trying to say he inherited a poor squad. Even the injured players who weren't available eg Osborne ?, weren't his signings.
Including last season , Slade has been in charge of 9 competitive games and we have had a player sent off in 6 of those - this must be some kind of record. On another thread there are calls for JF to dig in his pocket to make funds available for more players but judging by Slade's signings it will just be throwing good money after bad. Probably more fading stars ( like Clarke , which was also an opportunity to bring one of his favourites in ! ) or other clubs rejects. Even Accrington , on their one would assume limited budget, can assemble a squad that can perform.  The problem is Slade and unfortunately it would take a very bold move by JF to replace him so soon after bringing him in. I seem to recall AB mk2 was replaced early in he season after a mediocre start to he season but ( unwarranted in my opinion ) but I don't think JF has the b*lls to do the same with Slade.

AB mk3 had a really bad start to the season and got sacked after 6 games, but the thing that was stupid with that, is he was given about 5p to spend in the transfer window, then we brought in loads of signings under newell to try and fix it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 111
KingstonMariner
August 27, 2017, 10:13am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

AB mk3 had a really bad start to the season and got sacked after 6 games, but the thing that was stupid with that, is he was given about 5p to spend in the transfer window, then we brought in loads of signings under newell to try and fix it.

He might not have had much to spend on transfer fees (if any) didn't he bring in a load of players who were later ditched/paid off? Or was that the season before under Grezza?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 111
rancido
August 27, 2017, 10:15am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91

AB mk3 had been out the game for a while and maybe the whole situation had moved on. Slade has no such excuse and with all his contacts he should be able to find better players than the ones he has so far.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 111
Swansea_Mariner
August 27, 2017, 10:17am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
I think it was just Richard Hope that was paid up by Newell from AB3, Heywood saw out the season in the bench. Then when Woods got the job he cleared out about half a dozen of Newells players in the first week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 111
headingly_mariner
August 27, 2017, 11:35am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
That was a hugely disappointing game.  I thought we were poor in both boxes and that's what cost us. Our centre halves looked weak and accident prone. It surely has to be questioned how the club couldn't offer Pearson a contract until they had shifted Boyce. It's a pathetic reason to lose a player like Shaun.

I have to say I thought Hooper was decent. He's weak in the air but he makes decent runs and has ability with the ball at his feet. Great finish on his only chance to shoot.

I thought we worked hard but looked lacking in quality. I'm sure Slade will tinker with the formation as he's not the sort who won't change things.

It's extremely early days bit we need to show improvement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 111
lew chaterleys lover
August 27, 2017, 12:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,546
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from rancido

We have been over this many times about Bignot. The players had lost faith in him, the "board" had lost faith in him as had a lot of fans. In my opinion it was the correct decision to dismiss him.

I was thrilled with the Slade appointment as I assumed with his contacts in the game and seen how some of his previous teams played lovely football that it was a good appointment.

What has been a disappointment is the inability for him to land his first choice targets. I can only assume that is down to the budget not being good enough, which again surprises me as I didn't think he would take the job without some certainty he would get the budget needed to be in the top 7.

Slade is experienced enough to know that we must quickly improve; he will need to get a couple of really good loanees in and start getting the team to gel.

The main problem, regardless of the manager, is that  we are being held back by John Fenty who will not accept working with others to secure the extra investment we need.
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 111
HertsGTFC
August 27, 2017, 2:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,635
Gold Stars: 217
Bignot was right for GTFC and I think it's telling that as far as I am aware he is not currently working in the full time game or even at a reasonably high level in the semi pro world, I might be wrong about that though he may have found a job.

I think that if Slade had not been available then Bignot might have got a stay of execution but the fact that he had lost the players a long while before his exit, failed to reduce the wage bill, left us with no back up keeper for 4 months and continually made massive gaffs and "allegedly" told lies in the media it was inevitable he'd get the bullet probably sooner than later.  

Slade is proving to be a very lazy appointment by JF though he has a decent reputation in the game he has never got a pro side promoted and could be argued that his career had gone backwards very quickly since his PO defeat Orient. I am sure there where better options out there.

I was really concerned with Slade's RH interview last night as he sounded very deflated and a little lost, even at this early stage both in that interview and on the pitch yesterday it felt like his message may not be getting through to the players which is really worrying.

Ironically I hope he pulls this round as he clearly is an honest bloke and based upon his record as a "non chairman" I would not trust JF to appoint any credible replacement.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 111
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.