Just Back

This thread currently has 16,411 views. Print
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
wormy
August 27, 2017, 5:22pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +62
Yeah does have some interesting insight into the club. I noted Macca was keen to let us know exactly how little he got paid in his last season but not so keen to let us know how much he got paid at his peak. I wonder why?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 111
HertsGTFC
August 27, 2017, 5:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,637
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from quebec38
Dixon- jury is still out for me.
Rose- gives the ball away a fair bit but does have one string to his bow at least in that he can win the ball. Which leads me to...
Berrett- doesn't bring enough to the team for me. I couldn't tell you one thing he excels at.
Kelly- dragged off at ht. Says it all.

Positives
T Bol- showed some good touches. Shame Collins' stupidity cost him his place on the pitch.
DJ- must start v Crewe.
Hooper- heard bad things from the Derby game but thought he was OK yesterday. Needs a partner.

Where do we go from here?
Part of me would like to see a 3 at the back with Collins, Clarke and Osborne but I guess that's not realistic so for me next week we need to play 4-4-2.
We do have weapons at the business end of the pitch and we need to start using them. That won't happen whilst the ball wont stick up front with Hooper on his own. I also think we need some experience up there so step forward Vernon. He's not gonna knock in 20 a season but he could be a good foil for JJ who can do that (hopefully).
DJ and Dembele on the wings, Rose in the centre and then the conundrum of who to partner him. Triers but I'm not a fan of Berrett or Summerfield. Probably reckless but does Jones have the discipline to play in a 2 in the middle with Rose? Out of other ideas atm so I would be willing to try it. Which leave us with McKeown - Mills, Clarke, Osborne, Dixon - Dembele, Rose, Jones, DJ - Hooper, Vernon.
Very attacking and what do I know but we had our best spell yesterday when we went for it, full backs overlapping and playing with some urgency.
My two pennies worth.

Good post, that suggested side looks decent enough to me, I think Collins and Jones are still suspended for Crewe as I understand the Checkatrade does not count for bans apparently but I could be wrong.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 111
Bradford Mariner
August 27, 2017, 5:34pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +91
Gold Stars: 2
There was nowhere near enough speed of play with the ball and nowhere near enough pressure when not in possession.

Slade has signed too many players who simply aren't up to standard and now we're stuck with them for 2 years ffs.

This team has got 'relegation fodder' written all over it.

And we got rid of Bignot for this ........

Well done, Mr Fenty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 111
arryarryarry
August 27, 2017, 5:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,944
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Bradford Mariner
There was nowhere near enough speed of play with the ball and nowhere near enough pressure when not in possession.

Slade has signed too many players who simply aren't up to standard and now we're stuck with them for 2 years ffs.

This team has got 'relegation fodder' written all over it.

And we got rid of Bignot for this ........

Well done, Mr Fenty.

Don't worry about it, according to , Freemoash88 it's all about the 2 year plan.
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 111
toontown
August 27, 2017, 6:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Checkatrade does count for bans as far as I am aware
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 111
toontown
August 27, 2017, 6:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Also, good post Quebec. I would not normally advocate trying jones in a midfield two but with Rose being so defensive and happy to sit it might just work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 111
lew chaterleys lover
August 27, 2017, 6:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from MuddyWaters

As in the difference between running a business that requires keeping your customers happy as opposed to how cheap you can buy your raw materials (fish)?

It is hard to believe that a club with a good history,decent fan base, and who are a proper league club have had to rely on one man for so long.

This day and age, with football more important than ever, there must be investors out there with the vision, funding and nous to take us on surely?

What is his end game? Is it to get the new stadium (?!) and then recoup his money somehow? When does he think he will relinquish control?

Presumably he doesn't want to spend the rest of his life as a non chairman, with us bobbing about in league 2? Its about time we had the beginnings of a new golden age, but even if we get the new stadium we would need major changes, or rather a complete clear out from top to bottom with funding to match. A new stadium will only do so much; if the current regime is still in place if it ever gets built, you can imagine it will quickly lose its lustre.

I know its tiresome to keep complaining, but it is difficult to see what his plan is, other than hope he gets lucky and a decent manager, like Slade, can somehow perform a miracle.  
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 111
MuddyWaters
August 27, 2017, 7:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230

I know its tiresome to keep complaining, but it is difficult to see what his plan is, other than hope he gets lucky and a decent manager, like Slade, can somehow perform a miracle.  

It would be nice to know if there is a plan. I suspect that the fanbase are supposed to be grateful that the club was kept afloat and out of administration but somewhere along the line we've been overtaken (in some cases massively) by clubs that have gone bust and been re-invented (Leicester, Bournemouth and Rotherham being three that spring to mind.)
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 111
ex-merseymariner
August 27, 2017, 7:54pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,397
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from toontown
Checkatrade does count for bans as far as I am aware

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2017/august/collins-and-jones-available-for-checkatrade/

fraid it doesnt

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 111
toontown
August 27, 2017, 8:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Oops - corrected.

Ta exM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 111
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.