12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Gaffer58
August 27, 2017, 2:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
All I can assume from Slade's 1 man up front formation is the hat he does not trust the defence/midfield so is trying to keep things tight. Well we have tried it for long enough now so it's time to change and go for a more attacking formation. If we have more threat and possession in the opponents half, penalty area probably our defence would be less under pressure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 111
friskneymariner
August 27, 2017, 3:30pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

He sure is we failed miserably against him he's a man mountain but the ultimate target man.

His wining goal was so easy a (FREE HEADER) our defence seemily totally fecked without Collins but NOBODY even challenged him for that header so disappointing.

As he waddled back to the half way line with a beaming smile you could not help but think yeah you did us again big fella.

The awful reality is Blundell Park as become a easy win for teams and as been for quite a while.

Before that cross should not been allowed to put in.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 111
friskneymariner
August 27, 2017, 4:10pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
It was Hooper who allowed the cross to be put across for third goal.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 111
quebec38
August 27, 2017, 4:24pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,575
Gold Stars: 48
Dixon- jury is still out for me.
Rose- gives the ball away a fair bit but does have one string to his bow at least in that he can win the ball. Which leads me to...
Berrett- doesn't bring enough to the team for me. I couldn't tell you one thing he excels at.
Kelly- dragged off at ht. Says it all.

Positives
T Bol- showed some good touches. Shame Collins' stupidity cost him his place on the pitch.
DJ- must start v Crewe.
Hooper- heard bad things from the Derby game but thought he was OK yesterday. Needs a partner.

Where do we go from here?
Part of me would like to see a 3 at the back with Collins, Clarke and Osborne but I guess that's not realistic so for me next week we need to play 4-4-2.
We do have weapons at the business end of the pitch and we need to start using them. That won't happen whilst the ball wont stick up front with Hooper on his own. I also think we need some experience up there so step forward Vernon. He's not gonna knock in 20 a season but he could be a good foil for JJ who can do that (hopefully).
DJ and Dembele on the wings, Rose in the centre and then the conundrum of who to partner him. Triers but I'm not a fan of Berrett or Summerfield. Probably reckless but does Jones have the discipline to play in a 2 in the middle with Rose? Out of other ideas atm so I would be willing to try it. Which leave us with McKeown - Mills, Clarke, Osborne, Dixon - Dembele, Rose, Jones, DJ - Hooper, Vernon.
Very attacking and what do I know but we had our best spell yesterday when we went for it, full backs overlapping and playing with some urgency.
My two pennies worth.
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 111
lukeo
August 27, 2017, 4:24pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
Anyone read maccas book not all black and white? I've just read it whilst on holiday and even in that, without being rude Macca stated a few home truths about JF.. The fact he got a clean sweep of trophies one year then JF had the cheek to try offer him half the wages he was on, loads of other small things that make me realise where the problem still lies all these years. This is coming from someone who's kind of always respected JF and thought highly of him as a gtfc fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 111
MuddyWaters
August 27, 2017, 4:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from lukeo
Anyone read maccas book not all black and white? I've just read it whilst on holiday and even in that, without being rude Macca stated a few home truths about JF.. The fact he got a clean sweep of trophies one year then JF had the cheek to try offer him half the wages he was on, loads of other small things that make me realise where the problem still lies all these years. This is coming from someone who's kind of always respected JF and thought highly of him as a gtfc fan.

Reading Macca's book is highly recommended. It's not terribly well written but gives quite an insight into how the club is run.
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 111
KingstonMariner
August 27, 2017, 4:59pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from quebec38
Dixon- jury is still out for me.
Rose- gives the ball away a fair bit but does have one string to his bow at least in that he can win the ball. Which leads me to...
Berrett- doesn't bring enough to the team for me. I couldn't tell you one thing he excels at.
Kelly- dragged off at ht. Says it all.

Positives
T Bol- showed some good touches. Shame Collins' stupidity cost him his place on the pitch.
DJ- must start v Crewe.
Hooper- heard bad things from the Derby game but thought he was OK yesterday. Needs a partner.

Where do we go from here?
Part of me would like to see a 3 at the back with Collins, Clarke and Osborne but I guess that's not realistic so for me next week we need to play 4-4-2.
We do have weapons at the business end of the pitch and we need to start using them. That won't happen whilst the ball wont stick up front with Hooper on his own. I also think we need some experience up there so step forward Vernon. He's not gonna knock in 20 a season but he could be a good foil for JJ who can do that (hopefully).
DJ and Dembele on the wings, Rose in the centre and then the conundrum of who to partner him. Triers but I'm not a fan of Berrett or Summerfield. Probably reckless but does Jones have the discipline to play in a 2 in the middle with Rose? Out of other ideas atm so I would be willing to try it. Which leave us with McKeown - Mills, Clarke, Osborne, Dixon - Dembele, Rose, Jones, DJ - Hooper, Vernon.
Very attacking and what do I know but we had our best spell yesterday when we went for it, full backs overlapping and playing with some urgency.
My two pennies worth.

Welcome Quebec.

Nice balanced post.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 111
TownSNAFU5
August 27, 2017, 5:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Running the club is about seeing the bigger picture, not justing trying to run the business with the lowest cost option.  

The Danny Butterfield transfer comes to mind. He went on to play at Palace at a high level for a number of years.   He left for a derisory difference in his wages,between what he asked for and what the Club offered.   The club could have met the small increase.  They did not do so and a good player was lost to us.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 111
KingstonMariner
August 27, 2017, 5:01pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from lukeo

If that story is true, and I have no reason to think it's not (and I've never heard of a refutation), it puts paid to that idea that managers have been given a free hand if he's meddling in players wages. But that was a decade ago so, who knows, maybe he's learned.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 111
MuddyWaters
August 27, 2017, 5:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Running the club is about seeing the bigger picture, not justing trying to run the business with the lowest cost option.

The Danny Butterfield transfer comes to mind. He went on to play at Palace at a high level for a number of years.   He left for a derisory difference in his wages,between what he asked for and what the Club offered.   The club could have met the small increase.  They did not do so and a good player was lost to us.  

As in the difference between running a business that requires keeping your customers happy as opposed to how cheap you can buy your raw materials (fish)?
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 111
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.