Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where do we go from here ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 345 Guests

Where do we go from here ?

This thread currently has 13,877 views. Print
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
dicko995
February 11, 2017, 5:36pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -259
Gold Stars: 21
I was excited from the employment of MB, I thought a new era was upon us, how wrong was I. After several games gone, I am not impressed at all. He has torn the team apart, bought numerous players, put us into debt, sold our leading attacker, playing a new boring 3-5-2 system that the players cant adapt to, talks the talk in the papers,who is he kidding? John Fenty expressed that he has adapted well to the league, and reckons he is the saviour of our beloved club. Ive been to all the home games since he arrived and have not been impressed at all by his tactics. He tries to win us over by his humourous interviews,and we all seem to go along with it. But, were are we at the moment? We now have an abundance of players, no blending, no attack, no wingers, no hope for the future. I'm so sorry for us die hard supporters who invest our money each match day,and especially to the fans who travelled today to witness such a display. Newspapers print what managers say, and us fans are urged on by this,and our beliefs are looking forward to the game, and then 90 minutes (30 minutes today) after, we are pondering what went wrong. OK, its a loss,and we all expect us moaning fans to come on here and call the team. But to play against Crewe who are abysmal is a serious defeat,an embarrassment. So, where do we go from here?, I don't think anything will happen,it will be just a blip, and an off day. but since MB left Solihull, they have improved. I don't care about red crosses on here, I'm allowed my say, my team come first,and I know a lot of you agree with this. Whats your feelings on how things are going with the new manager?, comparing the chance we had with Danny Cowley coming here, I reckon we chose the wrong messiah.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Cloudy
February 11, 2017, 5:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
I agree with your sentiments but Bignot didn't sell Bogle and we were never in with a hope of getting Cowley.

We have one choice now, try and support the team and hope Bignot learns very very quickly
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 86
denni266
February 11, 2017, 5:43pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +703
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from dicko995
I was excited from the employment of MB, I thought a new era was upon us, how wrong was I. After several games gone, I am not impressed at all. He has torn the team apart, bought numerous players, put us into debt, sold our leading attacker, playing a new boring 3-5-2 system that the players cant adapt to, talks the talk in the papers,who is he kidding? John Fenty expressed that he has adapted well to the league, and reckons he is the saviour of our beloved club. Ive been to all the home games since he arrived and have not been impressed at all by his tactics. He tries to win us over by his humourous interviews,and we all seem to go along with it. But, were are we at the moment? We now have an abundance of players, no blending, no attack, no wingers, no hope for the future. I'm so sorry for us die hard supporters who invest our money each match day,and especially to the fans who travelled today to witness such a display. Newspapers print what managers say, and us fans are urged on by this,and our beliefs are looking forward to the game, and then 90 minutes (30 minutes today) after, we are pondering what went wrong. OK, its a loss,and we all expect us moaning fans to come on here and call the team. But to play against Crewe who are abysmal is a serious defeat,an embarrassment. So, where do we go from here?, I don't think anything will happen,it will be just a blip, and an off day. but since MB left Solihull, they have improved. I don't care about red crosses on here, I'm allowed my say, my team come first,and I know a lot of you agree with this. Whats your feelings on how things are going with the new manager?, comparing the chance we had with Danny Cowley coming here, I reckon we chose the wrong messiah.

Well said . but get ready for the rose tints to attack, like they do me for saying basically the same. at least there is a few of us that can see through the fog at what is happining
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 86
dapperz fun pub
February 11, 2017, 5:43pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
You really believe bignot sold Omar ffs ..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 86
TheCodfather1966
February 11, 2017, 5:44pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -633
Quite simply we need to replace him as quickly as possible because this guy will empty Blundell Park quicker than a neutron bomb.  He clearly hasn't got a clue, and bless him he is simply well out of his depth.  Got to go for me.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 86
denni266
February 11, 2017, 5:46pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +703
Gold Stars: 132
not directly, but to get more players in he needed money to spend. so mr fenty gave in to him big style
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 86
Chrisblor
February 11, 2017, 5:47pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,813
Gold Stars: 234
Where do we go from here? Start lining up some wingers for when the transfer window re-opens.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 86
oldun
February 11, 2017, 5:48pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Newport on Tues that's where we go from here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 86
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2017, 5:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from dicko995

All good stuff apart from the bollox at the end re Danny Cowley there was never a chance he was coming here.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 86
GrimRob
February 11, 2017, 5:59pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
What could a new manager achieve now in this season? We've already blown a fortune replacing one squad with another no better than it, funded by the sale of our star striker. We might as well let the season pan out, see what happens with no great pressure for results in the remainder of the season, and take stock in the summer. Whoever comes now is going to get the same lopsided squad and a few more points is not going make the shortfall up either at the top or bottom of the table.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 86
chaos33
February 11, 2017, 6:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
We go back to the drawing board. Obviously, talk of changing managers is absurd so not worth entertaining but today's result is massively disappointing, and that's a huge understatement. Shouldn't be happening and doesn't bode well. I like Bignot but sometimes he worries me, although I'm not really sure why. This result is a bitter blow.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 86
TownSNAFU5
February 11, 2017, 6:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,878
Gold Stars: 42
Fans naturally looking to the future and very concerned.  Not linked,  but Paul Hurst and Shrewsbury have moved clear of the bottom 4 (and off bottom place).  They won 1-0 away at Scunthorpe today.

Maybe he was a better manager than many gave him credit for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 86
chaos33
February 11, 2017, 6:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I couldn't care less. He's gone and I don't miss him. These regular non performances under Bignot worry me.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 86
Cloudy
February 11, 2017, 7:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Fenty needs to tell Bignot to focus on the squad and stop pandering to the ego's of fans.

Supporters are kept happy by points, not having smoke blown up their arses
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 86
sydney
February 11, 2017, 7:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
The big thing that no one seems to be talking about is our loss of momentum, what a bloody tragedy!
Look what BR have achieved with it
Hurst should have been made to make more of an effort to keep the spine of the team
To start the first game of the season with only two or three players on the pitch from May was amateur
Not our fault hurst was poached (and we can see why)
But now this seemingly increasingly buffoon has been allowed to change all the players again and we are more likely to give performances like today (Exeter, Stevenage,Crawley, Blackpool) than looking like we are improving
JT please sit MB down with the board Monday and see if you can ask the right questions and satisfy yourselves that he does indeed know what he is doing and also satisfy yourself that he is the man to take this club forward on the pitch and what and how by the style of play he is going to achieve this?
If you are happy with the answers you get then I guess we have to give him a chance
But apart from the odd glimpse I cannot see any improvement whatsoever so far in our performances overall and that is worrying
Come on Town we are much much better than today's result
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 86
chicaneuk
February 11, 2017, 7:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
People calling for Bignots head this early into his tenure when we have had some great results under his leadership already.. it's unbelievable.

It's a bad day at the office, we just had a load of signings and departures, we are still comfortable in the table. Give him a change and get a grip for felicitations sake.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 86
big al
February 11, 2017, 7:18pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Fans naturally looking to the future and very concerned.  Not linked,  but Paul Hurst and Shrewsbury have moved clear of the bottom 4 (and off bottom place).  They won 1-0 away at Scunthorpe today.

Maybe he was a better manager than many gave him credit for.

He was a very good manager indeed and Bignot can develop into a very effective manager as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 86
big al
February 11, 2017, 7:22pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from chicaneuk
People calling for Bignots head this early into his tenure when we have had some great results under his leadership already.. it's unbelievable.

It's a bad day at the office, we just had a load of signings and departures, we are still comfortable in the table. Give him a change and get a grip for felicitations sake.

Don't come on here making level-headed and sensible posts like this please.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 86
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2017, 7:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chicaneuk

The bad days at the office are turning into bad weeks. We have had 2 "great results" Plymouth A and Carlisle A and some horensous performances in other games H&A.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 86
londonmariner2
February 11, 2017, 7:42pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: -24
Gold Stars: 1
Sometimes a good thrashing does you good
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 86
Bigdog
February 11, 2017, 7:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Where do we go from here?

Well a 5-0 drubbing at Crewe is totally unacceptable.

But, it's only nine days since the closing of the January transfer window. A window in which we signed well over half a new team. It's extremely difficult on a day like today, but we've all got to stay patient.

Couldn't be at the game today and feel for the fans that travelled. There's a bigger longer term picture to consider. I can understand some fans losing faith at the minute but strangely after a defeat like this I'm not worried.. yet. We're pretty much safe already, so no panic there. I'm interested in seeing how the rest of the season pans out before making a judgement on the manager and where the team stands. On my part I will need to see improvements in results, playing style and player development by May. I still think it's too early to form a definitive opinion. It's soon enough to start forming one, but one that is open to change or further confirmation.

We're all Town fans, and a day like this really hurts, but I feel it's time for us to be strong for the relatively new manager and new playing squad. They won't get any better with vitriolic criticism, that's for certain. Do we kick our own men while they are down or do we do the best we can to lift them?

Scream and shout and get all the frustration and anger out tonight guys. On Tuesday there's another game to look forward to and hopefully a decent result at Newport will repair some of the damage.

MB was about my sixth choice when we were recruiting a new manager, but I'm prepared to give him a good go before giving up on him..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 86
lew chaterleys lover
February 11, 2017, 7:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Bigdog
Where do we go from here?

Well a 5-0 drubbing at Crewe is totally unacceptable.

But, it's only nine days since the closing of the January transfer window. A window in which we signed well over half a new team. It's extremely difficult on a day like today, but we've all got to stay patient.

Couldn't be at the game today and feel for the fans that travelled. There's a bigger longer term picture to consider. I can understand some fans losing faith at the minute but strangely after a defeat like this I'm not worried.. yet. We're pretty much safe already, so no panic there. I'm interested in seeing how the rest of the season pans out before making a judgement on the manager and where the team stands. On my part I will need to see improvements in results, playing style and player development by May. I still think it's to early form a definitive opinion. It's soon enough to start forming one, but one that is open to change or further confirmation.

We're all Town fans, and a day like this really hurts, but I feel it's time for us to be strong for the relatively new manager and new playing squad. They won't get any better with vitriolic criticism, that's for certain. Do we kick our own men while they are down or do we do the best we can to lift them?

Scream and shout and get all the frustration and anger out tonight guys. On Tuesday there's another game to look forward to and hopefully a decent result at Newport will repair some of the damage.

MB was about sixth choice when e ere recruiting a new manager, but I'm prepared to give him a good go before giving up on him..

What do you mean 6th choice? Fenty said he was the stand out candidate didn't he?
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 86
Bigdog
February 11, 2017, 7:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Sorry Lew. My sixth choice. Now edited..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 86
jonnyboy82
February 11, 2017, 7:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
He is likeable to a certain extent but his management ability or lack of it is now starting to show.

The transfer window was actually worrying for me with the complete mass signings of central midfielders which to me  means he has put all his eggs in one basket in that awful 352 he keeps up with.

Exposed.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 86
Mariner Ronnie
February 11, 2017, 7:53pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from dicko995

You man up and keep turning up that's what you do next. On a separate note, to the complete buffoon sat in front of me, if you want to berate and pick out one of our better players and give him non stop abuse from start to finish, I suggest you never bother coming again! Saying that I've never seen you at a town game so I doubt I'll see you anyway.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 86
Bigdog
February 11, 2017, 7:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

You man up and keep turning up that's what you do next.
On a separate note, to the complete buffoon sat in front of me, if you want to berate and pick out one of our better players and give him non stop abuse from start to finish, I suggest you never bother coming again! Saying that I've never seen you at a town game so I doubt I'll see you anyway.

Exactly!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 86
jaygy
February 11, 2017, 8:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
I wasn't at the game today but from here so far questions have to be asked about:

1, Lack of wingers meaning a total lack of plan B 4-4-2 being effective enough to even bother with. I was sick of playing with centre mods out wide when hurst was here and now Marcus is forcing himself to do the same

2, Giving free kicks away in dangerous areas. Donny, Portsmouth, Stevenage and now Crewe(maybe others?) have all been gifted and scored from these dangerous free kicks yet we just keep conceding them

3, Dizza being overlooked yet again, we were 4-0 down after 30 minutes and in serious need of a leader to settle the lads down.......give the guy a chance FFS!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 86
TownSNAFU5
February 11, 2017, 8:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,878
Gold Stars: 42
Huddersfield's freekick in the FA Cup as well.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 86
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 11, 2017, 8:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Defeats happen as do thrashings which we clearly had to day but over reaction in relation to the managers position is IMO completely OTT.

His pedigree at Solihull is good and winning a competitive Conference North and then mid table in the Conference would support the argument that he is not clueless. He is clearly finding his feet and at times falling on his bottom but this continual cry for another manager, much inspired by the likes of talksport and radio 5 call ins, is getting completely ridiculous.

MB is making errors but if he has the ability to be a good manager he will learn from these. Personally I am not sure if he will prove to be an inspired appointment but I do believe any manager needs a reasonable length of time to be judged. I would agree that we have had probably too many changes too quickly although this may prove a positive next season but as fans we are fickle and demand immediate success. Many on here said if fatty Evans was appointed they would not attend etc so obviously we want more from our manager than just results and we could do welll to remember this next Saturday.

We can all comment and make our own observations but MB is here for the forseeable future so constructive criticism of how the team should be selected may be a better and more enjoyable debate as opposed to whether we are going to get rid of him which clearly we are not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 86
ginnywings
February 11, 2017, 8:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Is it down to the lake i fear?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 86
big al
February 11, 2017, 8:22pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from londonmariner2

Do you have her number please?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 86
Cloudy
February 11, 2017, 8:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
We have no choice but to give Bignot time.

Just my view but I cannot recall many, if any, teams, attempting a total rebuilding programme during the January transfer window, least of all one 'comfortably placed in mid table? I am surprised that the normally cautious JF permitted such activity unless he and the board have been totally blinded by the flannel?

What I want to see more than anything is a pattern emerging as to how he wants us to play. I' m baffled. Bignot talked about open attacking football but I haven't seen us play any in any game, even Plymouth away which was the best performance, IMO, under his reign BUT that was very much an inherited team and based on counter attack.

I am worried that the new players brought in aren't even the equals of some of those pushed out BUT I am prepared to give him time to get his team to gel.

The performances at home have been largely shocking all season, I desperately want that to improve.

I hope he gets told to shut the ramblings in the media and get on with getting the team on the pitch playing with some structure and ideally, some sparkle.

A big improvement is needed, I am sure MB knows that, and I still think we need a few more points to be absolutely safe
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 86
Grim74
February 11, 2017, 8:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
It's a bad start for him but he's still got my support as I'm still on a high from Hurst's departure, However he needs to turn this slump in form around quickly and show he can cut it at this level, because come the end of the season safety or not, if there's no improvement then he will sadly have to go.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 86
headingly_mariner
February 11, 2017, 8:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Quoted from Cloudy
We have no choice but to give Bignot time.

Just my view but I cannot recall many, if any, teams, attempting a total rebuilding programme during the January transfer window, least of all one 'comfortably placed in mid table? I am surprised that the normally cautious JF permitted such activity unless he and the board have been totally blinded by the flannel?

What I want to see more than anything is a pattern emerging as to how he wants us to play. I' m baffled. Bignot talked about open attacking football but I haven't seen us play any in any game, even Plymouth away which was the best performance, IMO, under his reign BUT that was very much an inherited team and based on counter attack.

I am worried that the new players brought in aren't even the equals of some of those pushed out BUT I am prepared to give him time to get his team to gel.

The performances at home have been largely shocking all season, I desperately want that to improve.

I hope he gets told to shut the ramblings in the media and get on with getting the team on the pitch playing with some structure and ideally, some sparkle.

A big improvement is needed, I am sure MB knows that, and I still think we need a few more points to be absolutely safe

I think the non chairman has completely had his head turned by the bullshit. No manager has had backing like this since the last bullshitter we had in town, the Scouse Sipper!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 86
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2017, 9:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Defeats happen as do thrashings which we clearly had to day but over reaction in relation to the managers position is IMO completely OTT.

His pedigree at Solihull is good and winning a competitive Conference North and then mid table in the Conference would support the argument that he is not clueless. He is clearly finding his feet and at times falling on his bottom but this continual cry for another manager, much inspired by the likes of talksport and radio 5 call ins, is getting completely ridiculous.

MB is making errors but if he has the ability to be a good manager he will learn from these. Personally I am not sure if he will prove to be an inspired appointment but I do believe any manager needs a reasonable length of time to be judged. I would agree that we have had probably too many changes too quickly although this may prove a positive next season but as fans we are fickle and demand immediate success. Many on here said if fatty Evans was appointed they would not attend etc so obviously we want more from our manager than just results and we could do welll to remember this next Saturday.

We can all comment and make our own observations but MB is here for the forseeable future so constructive criticism of how the team should be selected may be a better and more enjoyable debate as opposed to whether we are going to get rid of him which clearly we are not.

You have put thought into what you have posted above LM but use of the word pedigree is very interesting, apart from just under 3 months in the National League MBs pedigree has been at a much lower level than what he is currently operating at and it's showing.

I don't think in reality many are calling for his head but a few are just asking that he stops "self harming" both on and off the pitch. On paper he looked a decent appointment and I still believe he will be but it feels like he built Solihull over time but is trying to make his mark at GTFC in completely the opposite way. If you go up a level with a new club it would seem sensible to do what had worked for you in the past.

He should take note though.............  I am 100% sure it may not come to it but with the new ground on the horizon after 6 years in tin pot JFs patience may bot be as long as it was with the likes of Woods, Newell and some may say even Hurst.    

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 86
lew chaterleys lover
February 11, 2017, 9:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

If you mean the forseeable future is until the end of the season, then fair enough. I wouldn't personally give him longer than that though, unless he can prove he can get the players onside and playing as a team and with better results. He was offered the dream job from his point of view; he has been allowed to discard decent players and get his own in. He will have had enough time by the end of the season and we simply cannot afford to faff about if he isn't up to the job.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 86
Garth
February 11, 2017, 9:41pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Never mind the manager what about the players, experienced players like Macca, Pearson, Gunning, Collins and Davies should never fold in thirty minutes like they did today whatever the instructions or system being played.

I`m afraid if these players don`t step up to the plate we can`t expect the newbies to save the day, to my mind Bolarinwa, Osborne, and Andrew were the only players today to come out with any merit, the rest were strangers to each other and lacked any pace between them.

I`m afraid IMO Dyson is raw and is no where near the player that Vernon is regarding holding up the ball and feeding his strike partner, who`s our best two up front I don`t know but todays two are not physical enough.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 86
moosey_club
February 11, 2017, 9:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from ginnywings

aye,aye,,aye ,,aye aye aye  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 86
Jaws
February 11, 2017, 11:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
We lost one game for God's sake. We got rocked by one early goal and the team lost their head from then and folded.

We wasn't in a crisis at 2.59pm this afternoon and certainly not now.

All teams get hammered and have off days. We're mid table, we won't consistently win or lose that's why were mid table.

Watch us hammer Newport 5 nil.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 86
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2017, 11:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Jaws
We lost one game for God's sake. We got rocked by one early goal and the team lost their head from then and folded.

We wasn't in a crisis at 2.59pm this afternoon and certainly not now.

All teams get hammered and have off days. We're mid table, we won't consistently win or lose that's why were mid table.

Watch us hammer Newport 5 nil.

The bit in bold should read "we keep losing games for Gods sake" .............. "bad day the office" is coming a bit hollow, maybe it's time to recognise MB is struggling a bit.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 86
GYinScuntland
February 11, 2017, 11:16pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from londonmariner2

Too right mate.
Cost me 140 euros though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 86
RichMariner
February 12, 2017, 2:02am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
How long was Bignot given at Solihull to get them into shape? And how long has he been at Town for now?

I completely understand the concerns and reservations that some fans have over Bignot, but I'm with the majority - there's no panic.

I was at the match today and I was fuming at our performance, lack of leadership and lack of ideas.

Yes it's a concern that his tenure started ok and we've been getting worse (when you'd think we'd be getting better now he has more of 'his' players playing 'his' system).

I'm also concerned at the lack of wingers, the ignorance of Disley, etc. But Bignot is his own man, with his own plan, and it won't be achieved today or even tomorrow.

I would like to see a positive performance soon. A nice 2-0 win, done the Bignot way (whatever that is) will settle us down again.

Until then, keep doing what you do best, and support the team.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 41 - 86
Mrs Doyle
February 12, 2017, 7:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
The only constant is our fans we will always support them but that does not mean we can't vent our anger.

Yes it is our decision but you expect better than that horror show even with so many new faces.

Town fans are never shy in showing their feelings.

I only hope Bignot is better than Hurst and does not hold a grudge against the fans.

Hurst left a very bitter man in my opinion lets just hope we don't have any more of that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 86
chaos33
February 12, 2017, 7:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
What is the Bignot way though? I think people are still trying to discern some sort of method in his teams' play. That's what's worrying to me. We keep getting these 'bunch of strangers' performances with no visible tactics. I'm baffled as to what it is he's actually trying to do. Of course, patience is needed but I'm starting to think that he can talk a good game only.......

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 86
kingster72
February 12, 2017, 7:32am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -7
Unbelievable!  We now have a manager with passion and a vision, something PH never had.  The aim this season was to consolidate and we are easily doing that, we are mid-table and it is a position that we would be in had Hurst stayed.  Bignot has addressed weaknesses in the squad and especially centre mid.  To clear out in this window is sensible so the team can be in a strong position for the start of next, any new manger needs time, good god how much did we give PH to get it right, this in the end paid off.  Get a grip people, we have a manager who will oversee success, be patient.  Oh and this inflated squad?  Including the 2 young lads out on loan, we have let go more than have come in!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 86
marinerjase
February 12, 2017, 8:24am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,649
Gold Stars: 147
Agree with Chaos33- perhaps would be easier to think future brighter if evidence visually was there on style etc. From what I've seen/gathered thus far there isn't that evidence. Plenty talk about how good certain players are/can be - and yes, have to give them time - but for now consistency, lack of passing/retaining ball- method/way in which we can easily be hurt - are areas for concern. It'd be folly to not see/address them. You can still support but not blindly..praise when need be and likewise say when things need improving on.

MB has brought in a few of own players, again needs time as this season is all about bedding in. The concern for me is regarding actual quality brought in, losing the likes of Collins (who playing in a back 3 doesn't suit), finding a pattern of play etc etc and consistency. There's a bit of me that see's us struggling; having to rethink and bring a few more in next season. Hope I'm wrong but gut feeling is yet to be convinced we are moving forward/improving. And possibly will be recruiting again by this time next season.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 86
newarkmariner
February 12, 2017, 8:39am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
People coming on here and ranting about MB and calling for his head is plain stupid,give the guy a chance ffs,last week everyone one was saying how they can see what hes trying to build,ok we got a battering today it happens its not the first time it wont be the last,and as for PH yes he got us up eventually,but over the last 5 yrs i seem to remember getting our backsides spanked by far lesser teams than Crewe,maybe some people on here need to give there heads a wobble its our first year back and things could be going worse,we could be Cheltenham
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 86
marinerjase
February 12, 2017, 8:46am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,649
Gold Stars: 147
'Last week everyone was saying they could see what he's trying to build'

Pretty much guarantee everyone wasn't. Anyway..as said ..have to give it time, hpefully it works out - but those fearful shouldn't be shouted down/abused/mocked for expressing their said fears. In my humble opinion.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 86
newarkmariner
February 12, 2017, 8:58am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
i agree marinerjase,people have the right to voice there opinions,i too am concerned about the inconsistency,but some people on this site just seem to go from one extreme to another,last week very positive this week the world has come to an end,anyway onwards and upwards
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 86
Bigboy
February 12, 2017, 9:12am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +158
Where we go from here is ditch 352.  It's system that requires very good players.  At the back it requires one centre half and either side players of real pace who can cover the full back positions - not three big slow centre halves like we have.  The wing backs also need to be really fast and able to cover the full length of the pitch for 90 minutes - ours can't. In short we haven't got the players to play this system - and because of that we are vunerable to a team like Crewe who exploit us down the flanks. Cooper with his short socks (did he even wear shinpads) was allowed to take the urine yesterday - one good "robust" Bob Cumming style tackle early on would have quietened him down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 86
chaos33
February 12, 2017, 9:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
I do wish people wouldn't insist on overstating and overdramatising. The world isn't coming to an end. Bignot shouldn't be sacked. I don't think anyone outside of the usual small handful of cranks is advocating that. We are in mid table and we have some good players. Personally, I'm concerned at the frequency of non performances and no discernible pattern or tactics and how often we seem to have failed to turn up, and I'm getting a bit weary of listening to MBs platitudes and football bull****. We will carry on and we will be patient and supportive and voice our views on the forum if that's ok. Actions speak louder than words. I don't care if the manager says nothing to the press before Tuesday's game. Let's hear less and see more. That's my view.

Meantime, enjoy a bit of football humour to soothe the frustration

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QmLh2883KX4

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 86
Cloudy
February 12, 2017, 9:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Lots suggesting yesterday's hammering was a one off. It was as far as the score was concerned but not the performance. We have had total and utter no shows at Crawley, Stevenage and now Crewe. These are hardly games against the divisional heavyweights. We beat Accrington at home but were dominated territorially for long periods, even the win at Hartlepool was dire, backs to the wall.

I do have serious concerns about the manager ( I was one of the few who were supportive of Hurst, even if it was only because it was clear what he was trying to do by way of 'us' shape) because I cannot see what he is trying to do. No patterns of play, the major surgery he has done mid season, and this blowing smoke up our arses really grates on me.
I really really hope MB is a huge success but I fear, like some fans, the board have fallen for a smooth talker of little substance. Even those who can see a method and a structure must also agree that there is very much a bull in a china shop style to his management?
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 86
itsnotcoditshaddock
February 12, 2017, 10:11am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
4 at the back required and play wingers, either a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3/4-5-1. If it has to be Vose, Bolarinwa, Yussuf on the wing then so be it. Get the players playing a formation they're familiar with. If Chambers could be recalled I'd do that too.

Gunning was a loose cannon yesterday, horrendous challenge at the end, should have been off. Clements was better second half but was totally lost in the first. I don't see how he's better than what we had already. Only player with any credit yesterday was Osborne, but even then he was pushed off the ball too much with a ref that wasn't interested in his complaints.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 86
headingly_mariner
February 12, 2017, 10:22am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
I do wish people wouldn't insist on overstating and overdramatising. The world isn't coming to an end. Bignot shouldn't be sacked. I don't think anyone outside of the usual small handful of cranks is advocating that. We are in mid table and we have some good players. Personally, I'm concerned at the frequency of non performances and no discernible pattern or tactics and how often we seem to have failed to turn up, and I'm getting a bit weary of listening to MBs platitudes and football bull****. We will carry on and we will be patient and supportive and voice our views on the forum if that's ok. Actions speak louder than words. I don't care if the manager says nothing to the press before Tuesday's game. Let's hear less and see more. That's my view.

Meantime, enjoy a bit of football humour to soothe the frustration

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QmLh2883KX4

That's exactly it, he has to have time, but we have to see method and progress. It was very bad yesterday and these days happen as a freak performance, the reaction Tuesday and Saturday will be telling. I really hope he can make a success of it but i haven't seen anything so far to suggest he will.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 86
February 12, 2017, 10:37am
Guest User
Quoted from dicko995

What a male private, football matches have 3 outcomes, win, lose or draw. The odds for 5-0 were 100-1 so this result was unlikely. I remember back in 2010 after a miserable run of defeats and bore draws we battered Exeter, against all odds. I for one am pleased we have a manager who has a pair of testicles and confident in what he's doing, give the bloke some time, he is a young manager and this is his 1st job managing in the League. He has done well in his short career and I"m positive about his future with Town.
Reply: 54 - 86
Jaws
February 12, 2017, 10:44am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Was there yesterday but just watched the highlights.

3-5-2 does not work.. end of story. We don't have the pace or stamina in our wide men.

But Pearson.... FFS he was looked to be at fault for every goal... watch the highlights. Marking no-one or letting a man run up and past him. Yet after EVERY goal he is waving his arms or shrugging his shoulders suggesting someone else is to blame. I don't think I saw him win the ball. And before you say how was he at fault for the free-kick... well he looked to be in the wall and the wall didn't even jump.

I like Pearson but could be out of his depth now and his recent good form was a flash in the pan.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 86
HertsGTFC
February 12, 2017, 12:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from kingster72
Unbelievable!  We now have a manager with passion and a vision, something PH never had.  The aim this season was to consolidate and we are easily doing that, we are mid-table and it is a position that we would be in had Hurst stayed.  Bignot has addressed weaknesses in the squad and especially centre mid.  To clear out in this window is sensible so the team can be in a strong position for the start of next, any new manger needs time, good god how much did we give PH to get it right, this in the end paid off.  Get a grip people, we have a manager who will oversee success, be patient.  Oh and this inflated squad?  Including the 2 young lads out on loan, we have let go more than have come in!

Re the bit in bold I have highlighted what exactly have you seen on the pitch so far that makes you think success will come?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 86
cmackenzie4
February 12, 2017, 12:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Jaws

3-5-2 does not work.. end of story. We don't have the pace or stamina in our wide men.

But Pearson.... FFS he was looked to be at fault for every goal... watch the highlights. Marking no-one or letting a man run up and past him. Yet after EVERY goal he is waving his arms or shrugging his shoulders suggesting someone else is to blame. I don't think I saw him win the ball. And before you say how was he at fault for the free-kick... well he looked to be in the wall and the wall didn't even jump.

I like Pearson but could be out of his depth now and his recent good form was a flash in the pan.

I wouldn't say Pearson is out of his depth Jaws, Pearson is a good player and easily league 2 standard .

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 86
TheRealJohnLewis
February 12, 2017, 12:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Cloudy
Lots suggesting yesterday's hammering was a one off. It was as far as the score was concerned but not the performance. We have had total and utter no shows at Crawley, Stevenage and now Crewe. These are hardly games against the divisional heavyweights. We beat Accrington at home but were dominated territorially for long periods, even the win at Hartlepool was dire, backs to the wall.

I do have serious concerns about the manager ( I was one of the few who were supportive of Hurst, even if it was only because it was clear what he was trying to do by way of 'us' shape) because I cannot see what he is trying to do. No patterns of play, the major surgery he has done mid season, and this blowing smoke up our arses really grates on me.
I really really hope MB is a huge success but I fear, like some fans, the board have fallen for a smooth talker of little substance. Even those who can see a method and a structure must also agree that there is very much a bull in a china shop style to his management?

Just out of interest was you aware of Hurst's shape within a few months of him arriving?
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 86
Cloudy
February 12, 2017, 12:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

Just out of interest was you aware of Hurst's shape within a few months of him arriving?

Frankly, yes. PH very rarely deviated from his standard plan, not the most exciting I'd grant you, but you knew what you were getting imo
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 86
Gaffer58
February 12, 2017, 1:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
During the last 5 seasons although we won considerable more games than we lost and also finished in the top 5, how many games did we dominate and play he opposition of the park, I would say we were good at getting results, especially away from home but many times we were not the best team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 86
Garth
February 12, 2017, 1:21pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from cmackenzie4

I wouldn't say Pearson is out of his depth Jaws, Pearson is a good player and easily league 2 standard .

Oh dear! how about our keeper, could have done much better with the first, third and fifth goals, TBH no one came out of it smelling of roses, nothing up front anymore now that Omars gone so the defence has to be a lot better than that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 86
pontoonlew
February 12, 2017, 1:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,022
Gold Stars: 174
Some of the reaction on here is borderline embarrassing.

We've just been promoted, we've had a good season and whilst being inconsistent, Bignot has done alright. He's had TWO games post window with players he wants at the club, he's also earned 2 less points than Hurst in the same amount of games.

Yet people are acting like the world is ending. We are doing better than many of us thought we would and a dam sight better than the team who won our league last year. Stop panicking, we've a luxury between now and the end of the season IMO. We're in no danger of going down and a small sniff of the play offs, we can watch without too much to worry about, soak it up and appreciate it. Getting on Bignots back is ridiculous.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 86
headingly_mariner
February 12, 2017, 2:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew
Some of the reaction on here is borderline embarrassing.

We've just been promoted, we've had a good season and whilst being inconsistent, Bignot has done alright. He's had TWO games post window with players he wants at the club, he's also earned 2 less points than Hurst in the same amount of games.

Yet people are acting like the world is ending. We are doing better than many of us thought we would and a dam sight better than the team who won our league last year. Stop panicking, we've a luxury between now and the end of the season IMO. We're in no danger of going down and a small sniff of the play offs, we can watch without too much to worry about, soak it up and appreciate it. Getting on Bignots back is ridiculous.

How times have changed, whinged like intercourse throughout Hurst's reign, now getting on the managers back is ridiculous.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 86
pontoonlew
February 12, 2017, 2:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,022
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from headingly_mariner

How times have changed, whinged like intercourse throughout Hurst's reign, now getting on the managers back is ridiculous.

Hurst massively underachieved and alienated fans for the vast majority of his stay. Bignot has been here 2 minutes tied with some of the shite Hurst signed. I'm all for opinions and voicing things when they're not right, but he's barely walked in the door and he's hardly massively underachieving.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 86
Theimperialcoroner
February 12, 2017, 2:49pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,208
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from ginnywings

Damn, that was gonna be my line...

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 86
headingly_mariner
February 12, 2017, 3:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

Hurst massively underachieved and alienated fans for the vast majority of his stay. Bignot has been here 2 minutes tied with some of the shite Hurst signed. I'm all for opinions and voicing things when they're not right, but he's barely walked in the door and he's hardly massively underachieving.

Hurst delivered a play off team for a play off budget year on year, he got us promoted. Hurst is currently turning Shrewsbury round and I'm sure he will continue to climb the league ladder. I don't think anyone is saying sack Bignot. People are just questioning the quality of his decisions and the way the team is performing. He's made massive changes, spent on a big squad and added to the backroom staff. He's yet to show that him or his signings are capable of improving us. It's too early to tell, but I think we've backed the wrong horse. Hope I'm wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 86
HertsGTFC
February 12, 2017, 3:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

Frankly, yes. PH very rarely deviated from his standard plan, not the most exciting I'd grant you, but you knew what you were getting imo

Though some would say Hurst played boring football maybe just maybe the quality of players that we could attract to the club meant he had no option to play in a certain way, remember non league players are non league players for a reason.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 86
Mariner Ronnie
February 12, 2017, 3:09pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Quoted from Garth

Oh dear! how about our keeper, could have done much better with the first, third and fifth goals, TBH no one came out of it smelling of roses, nothing up front anymore now that Omars gone so the defence has to be a lot better than that.

I don't think McKeown could of done a lot about any of those goals to be honest ESPECIALLY the third goal. Don't know where you think he could have done better with that.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 86
Mariner93er
February 12, 2017, 3:20pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Definitely could have stayed on the nearight post for the first.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 86
HertsGTFC
February 12, 2017, 3:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Hurst delivered a play off team for a play off budget year on year, he got us promoted. Hurst is currently turning Shrewsbury round and I'm sure he will continue to climb the league ladder. I don't think anyone is saying sack Bignot. People are just questioning the quality of his decisions and the way the team is performing. He's made massive changes, spent on a big squad and added to the backroom staff. He's yet to show that him or his signings are capable of improving us. It's too early to tell, but I think we've backed the wrong horse. Hope I'm wrong.

I think there is an element of posters on here who when they can't say anything positive about MB they come out with negatives regarding PH, odd behaviour that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 86
RichMariner
February 12, 2017, 5:10pm
Brandy Drinker
I'm concerned about the lack of identity to the brand of football MB is trying to impart here. We're three months into his tenure and I'm not sure what our style is.

Having said that...

When we appointed Scott & Hurst, I remember going to a game towards the end of the season - think it was Darlington at home - and we were appalling.

We lost 1-0, but the performance was much worse than that.

I remember questioning Scott & Hurst on their tactics, and their identity. I just couldn't see how they'd got teams at Ilkeston and Boston winning by big scores.

But their style came through in the end. We lost 5-0 at Braintree early the following season but, after that - with their players (including Hearn) we became more like the promotion-chasing team we wanted to see.

And once Scott left we saw Hurst's style more clearly.

He's a steady pair of hands. He needed time, but he eventually delivered. No one can take that promotion off his CV now. Taking us up would be a bigger achievement than keeping Shrewsbury up.

So what I'm saying is that we know we've got a manager who has achieved success elsewhere, with basically average players on a shoestring budget.

He will have a method, and a system. It might not be for another a few months - or until next season - when we truly see what the Bignot way actually is.

That's why we shouldn't panic too much too soon, and that we give him the time we gave Scott & Hurst, and latterly just Hurst.

I'd be great to achieve success sooner, obviously, but I'm more interested in long term success, built on stable foundations.

And I think we'll get that with Bignot.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 71 - 86
A Brace Of Tees
February 12, 2017, 7:08pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Grim74
It's a bad start for him but he's still got my support as I'm still on a high from Hurst's departure

Seriously?

I too applauded Bignot's appointment and think it quite ridiculous that some are calling for his head already.

But it really pi$$es me off that we're still getting these snide remarks about our previous manager, a man who was very professional, highly organised, built great team spirit with a system of playing which worked for us on a non-league budget, and eventually got us promoted.

And you're on a high that he's departed? All I can say is good luck mate in your parallel universe!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 86
sam gy
February 12, 2017, 10:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Im completely behind Bignot, of course. I'm behind anyone that's in charge or playing for GTFC, because, well, I bloody love my club.

But agreed, Hurst is a league above us and doing well. Just goes to show why some fans are just that...and are not involved in any decision making at a professional football club! So many fans gave him unwarranted excrement when he was with us, I bet he doesn't miss being here one bit TBH. Who'd blame him.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 86
Mariner93er
February 12, 2017, 11:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
I actually think hurst doing well at shrewsbury proves nothing that we didn't already know about his ability. That he can get a team to defend well, and nick the odd goal. A perfect manager for a relegation threatened team. What he still needs to prove is that he can get a favourite within a league to perform to their ability, and regularly dispatch teams. As we saw, it is much harder to play his style when you're the favourite, hence why we never got close to winning the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 86
HertsGTFC
February 13, 2017, 12:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
93 you're talking cobblers, have you actually seen  Shrewsbury play?

How many "odd goals" did Podge nick last season? As PH got us up I am not convinced he really has anything to prove.

PH played in a way that would utilise the skills and competency of the non league players he had at the club, most where not capable of "champagne football". Marcus may have been better served doing that until the end of this season.

PH is potentially going to do something few managers have done taken sides up and saved a doomed one from relegation - deal with it and move on FFS.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 86
HertsGTFC
February 13, 2017, 12:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
Also........how many "bookies favourites" in August win their leagues?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 86
Mrs Doyle
February 13, 2017, 5:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Had my rant the slate is clean we bounce back.

That is where we go from here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 86
rancido
February 13, 2017, 6:57am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Jaws

Pearson has improved consistently season on season since he became a professional footballer with us.

I like Pearson , don't think he is out of his depth and his performance against Crewe went against the form he has shown recently.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 86
stevethefish
February 13, 2017, 7:12am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +773
Gold Stars: 66
Paul Hurst did well. Learned his trade, got better each year and finally got promoted. It was the right time to leave for everyone.

Bignot is from the same "stock".... it's very rare with change that it goes right at the beginning. Irrespective of what happens he should be given until Xmas 20

Let him do it his own way

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 86
Mariner93er
February 13, 2017, 8:00am
Cocktail Drinker
Herts, I liked PH and was gutted when he went. I'm not having a go at him. But in response, you don't have to watch shrewsbury to state what I did. Feel free to look at their results. 7 have involved neither side scoring more than once. And I dont remember anyone once requesting champagne football. Plenty of teams managed consistent results without doing so, look at Cheltenham who had a very non league squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 86
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 13, 2017, 9:39am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
When we had the euphoria of the Dynamic Duo coming from Boston we had the same sort of start didn't we? When we had Buckley coming from non-league, we had the same sort of start. It happens. Jumping up and down and calling for the manager's head after a few months isn't going to change things for the better.

Teams do get hammered, even Town. Although we played badly, on another day at least 2 of the Crewe goals would probably not have gone in and we have all identified the defensive weakness down the left. Until the second goal we were looking good and moving the ball well. So we move on.

Forest conceded 5 on Saturday as well but watching their game they were unfortunate that 4 of the goals were out of this world strikes that happen in a blue moon. 2-1 would have been fair ..... but that's football. The record shows a 5 goal thrashing.

MB will know as well as any poster that good sides are built from the back and I expect to see some changes there in personnel and organisation to prevent collapses like we saw. I suspect over-confidence played a part in the first half performance too.

I don't know how good this manager is. I can see what he is trying to do and I can see how the players he has signed fit into his plan. Maybe he's trying too hard to run before he can walk.

At the moment, to me it looks a bit like the early days of Russell Slade, when it works it's good but when it doesn't it's truly awful. Slade was bright enough to adapt and change (in fact so did PH and Shouty if we remember) .We have to give MB time to see if he can do the same.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 86
HertsGTFC
February 13, 2017, 9:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
When we had the euphoria of the Dynamic Duo coming from Boston we had the same sort of start didn't we? When we had Buckley coming from non-league, we had the same sort of start. It happens. Jumping up and down and calling for the manager's head after a few months isn't going to change things for the better.

Teams do get hammered, even Town. Although we played badly, on another day at least 2 of the Crewe goals would probably not have gone in and we have all identified the defensive weakness down the left. Until the second goal we were looking good and moving the ball well. So we move on.

Forest conceded 5 on Saturday as well but watching their game they were unfortunate that 4 of the goals were out of this world strikes that happen in a blue moon. 2-1 would have been fair ..... but that's football. The record shows a 5 goal thrashing.

MB will know as well as any poster that good sides are built from the back and I expect to see some changes there in personnel and organisation to prevent collapses like we saw. I suspect over-confidence played a part in the first half performance too.

I don't know how good this manager is. I can see what he is trying to do and I can see how the players he has signed fit into his plan. Maybe he's trying too hard to run before he can walk.

At the moment, to me it looks a bit like the early days of Russell Slade, when it works it's good but when it doesn't it's truly awful. Slade was bright enough to adapt and change (in fact so did PH and Shouty if we remember) .We have to give MB time to see if he can do the same.

If you can se what he is trying to do and how the players fit in can you tell me please? Apart from getting players in the 4th tier of football t try and play out from the back I am a bit lost at the moment.

I like Marcus and would like him to be a success as if he is successful we will be successful he clearly cares and unlike some who could have come a long after PH left I think he is happy to be here for the long run and does not see this job as part of a step on a big career ladder,

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 86
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 13, 2017, 10:15am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

If you can se what he is trying to do and how the players fit in can you tell me please? Apart from getting players in the 4th tier of football t try and play out from the back I am a bit lost at the moment.

I like Marcus and would like him to be a success as if he is successful we will be successful he clearly cares and unlike some who could have come a long after PH left I think he is happy to be here for the long run and does not see this job as part of a step on a big career ladder,

I think you are right, that is what he is trying to do but for it to work the players have to be in tune with it and of course good enough. Slade found this out when he was undone by teams playing straight 4-4-2 that let his wing backs come forward and then used the space behind them. Sestanovitch (or whatever) was great coming forward but left  a huge gap behind him. Slade changed to a defensive plan with Reddy as the strike force on the break and we were fantastic away from home.

I'm not saying MB should do this but he does need to rethink, he needs to spend time working on other formations and he needs to be ruthless about players who can only do half of their job. He also needs to look at his strikers. If it is going to be a pairing then they have to work together. From what I've seen of the Crewe game they didn't.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 86
rancido
February 13, 2017, 3:23pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96

I remember at the time that the appointment of a non-league manager ( although he had managed Walsall in the league ) coupled with the signing of non-league players  , Andy Tilson, John Cockerill and Keith Alexander, seemed to imply to a lot of fans that the club were preparing for non-league football. I went to Cambridge that first season and we wee beaten 4-1 ( if I remember correctly ) but it didn't prevent us from becoming the successful side we eventually became.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 86
RichMariner
February 13, 2017, 3:50pm
Brandy Drinker
The problem, I feel, is that we often see new managers come in and have an immediate effect (I'm thinking Clements at Swansea right now) - but this is usually the exception, rather than the rule.

Some managers have the ability to just walk in and turn things around, almost overnight, because they're tactically astute. Others do it on personality and sheer influence alone.

But most can't do it - at least not short term. I think most can do it long term, but many of them simply aren't given the chance because of a collective short fuse in football generally - from fans to chairmen.

Our situation was different. We hadn't just sacked a manager, so whoever came in didn't have to make an immediate impact.

The players didn't need a rocket up their collective backside. Bignot's takeover was always going to be subtle, and it was always going to take time.

We just need to be patient. It's not an easy thing to do in football, but I really do believe we'll be rewarded.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 85 - 86
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 13, 2017, 3:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from rancido

I remember at the time that the appointment of a non-league manager ( although he had managed Walsall in the league ) coupled with the signing of non-league players  , Andy Tilson, John Cockerill and Keith Alexander, seemed to imply to a lot of fans that the club were preparing for non-league football. I went to Cambridge that first season and we wee beaten 4-1 ( if I remember correctly ) but it didn't prevent us from becoming the successful side we eventually became.

Absolutely right. That's what I mean.

The signing of John Cockerill especially was a real shock. John had never played pro football and his brother Glenn went off to do great things well away from BP on the advice of his dad, Ron. John went in the RAF I think and then played part time for Skegness. Signing him in his mid to late 20s for Town was a risk but a masterstroke really though his success was not exactly anticipated by the fans, even knowing who his dad was.

Andy Tilson brought us over half a million when he transferred a couple of years later and we all know about Big Keith. But the first season under Buckley was not a success. We were well down the table and it was still quite a while before the Buckley style was settled and he got a full team of players able to do what he wanted.

Personally I'd accept a slow start and a big finish, maybe not this season now but you never know.

Private Message
Reply: 86 - 86
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where do we go from here ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.