Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where do we go from here ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 288 Guests

Where do we go from here ?

This thread currently has 13,875 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Mariner93er
February 13, 2017, 8:00am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Herts, I liked PH and was gutted when he went. I'm not having a go at him. But in response, you don't have to watch shrewsbury to state what I did. Feel free to look at their results. 7 have involved neither side scoring more than once. And I dont remember anyone once requesting champagne football. Plenty of teams managed consistent results without doing so, look at Cheltenham who had a very non league squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 86
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 13, 2017, 9:39am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
When we had the euphoria of the Dynamic Duo coming from Boston we had the same sort of start didn't we? When we had Buckley coming from non-league, we had the same sort of start. It happens. Jumping up and down and calling for the manager's head after a few months isn't going to change things for the better.

Teams do get hammered, even Town. Although we played badly, on another day at least 2 of the Crewe goals would probably not have gone in and we have all identified the defensive weakness down the left. Until the second goal we were looking good and moving the ball well. So we move on.

Forest conceded 5 on Saturday as well but watching their game they were unfortunate that 4 of the goals were out of this world strikes that happen in a blue moon. 2-1 would have been fair ..... but that's football. The record shows a 5 goal thrashing.

MB will know as well as any poster that good sides are built from the back and I expect to see some changes there in personnel and organisation to prevent collapses like we saw. I suspect over-confidence played a part in the first half performance too.

I don't know how good this manager is. I can see what he is trying to do and I can see how the players he has signed fit into his plan. Maybe he's trying too hard to run before he can walk.

At the moment, to me it looks a bit like the early days of Russell Slade, when it works it's good but when it doesn't it's truly awful. Slade was bright enough to adapt and change (in fact so did PH and Shouty if we remember) .We have to give MB time to see if he can do the same.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 86
HertsGTFC
February 13, 2017, 9:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
When we had the euphoria of the Dynamic Duo coming from Boston we had the same sort of start didn't we? When we had Buckley coming from non-league, we had the same sort of start. It happens. Jumping up and down and calling for the manager's head after a few months isn't going to change things for the better.

Teams do get hammered, even Town. Although we played badly, on another day at least 2 of the Crewe goals would probably not have gone in and we have all identified the defensive weakness down the left. Until the second goal we were looking good and moving the ball well. So we move on.

Forest conceded 5 on Saturday as well but watching their game they were unfortunate that 4 of the goals were out of this world strikes that happen in a blue moon. 2-1 would have been fair ..... but that's football. The record shows a 5 goal thrashing.

MB will know as well as any poster that good sides are built from the back and I expect to see some changes there in personnel and organisation to prevent collapses like we saw. I suspect over-confidence played a part in the first half performance too.

I don't know how good this manager is. I can see what he is trying to do and I can see how the players he has signed fit into his plan. Maybe he's trying too hard to run before he can walk.

At the moment, to me it looks a bit like the early days of Russell Slade, when it works it's good but when it doesn't it's truly awful. Slade was bright enough to adapt and change (in fact so did PH and Shouty if we remember) .We have to give MB time to see if he can do the same.

If you can se what he is trying to do and how the players fit in can you tell me please? Apart from getting players in the 4th tier of football t try and play out from the back I am a bit lost at the moment.

I like Marcus and would like him to be a success as if he is successful we will be successful he clearly cares and unlike some who could have come a long after PH left I think he is happy to be here for the long run and does not see this job as part of a step on a big career ladder,

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 86
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 13, 2017, 10:15am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

If you can se what he is trying to do and how the players fit in can you tell me please? Apart from getting players in the 4th tier of football t try and play out from the back I am a bit lost at the moment.

I like Marcus and would like him to be a success as if he is successful we will be successful he clearly cares and unlike some who could have come a long after PH left I think he is happy to be here for the long run and does not see this job as part of a step on a big career ladder,

I think you are right, that is what he is trying to do but for it to work the players have to be in tune with it and of course good enough. Slade found this out when he was undone by teams playing straight 4-4-2 that let his wing backs come forward and then used the space behind them. Sestanovitch (or whatever) was great coming forward but left  a huge gap behind him. Slade changed to a defensive plan with Reddy as the strike force on the break and we were fantastic away from home.

I'm not saying MB should do this but he does need to rethink, he needs to spend time working on other formations and he needs to be ruthless about players who can only do half of their job. He also needs to look at his strikers. If it is going to be a pairing then they have to work together. From what I've seen of the Crewe game they didn't.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 86
rancido
February 13, 2017, 3:23pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96

I remember at the time that the appointment of a non-league manager ( although he had managed Walsall in the league ) coupled with the signing of non-league players  , Andy Tilson, John Cockerill and Keith Alexander, seemed to imply to a lot of fans that the club were preparing for non-league football. I went to Cambridge that first season and we wee beaten 4-1 ( if I remember correctly ) but it didn't prevent us from becoming the successful side we eventually became.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 86
RichMariner
February 13, 2017, 3:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
The problem, I feel, is that we often see new managers come in and have an immediate effect (I'm thinking Clements at Swansea right now) - but this is usually the exception, rather than the rule.

Some managers have the ability to just walk in and turn things around, almost overnight, because they're tactically astute. Others do it on personality and sheer influence alone.

But most can't do it - at least not short term. I think most can do it long term, but many of them simply aren't given the chance because of a collective short fuse in football generally - from fans to chairmen.

Our situation was different. We hadn't just sacked a manager, so whoever came in didn't have to make an immediate impact.

The players didn't need a rocket up their collective backside. Bignot's takeover was always going to be subtle, and it was always going to take time.

We just need to be patient. It's not an easy thing to do in football, but I really do believe we'll be rewarded.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 85 - 86
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 13, 2017, 3:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from rancido

I remember at the time that the appointment of a non-league manager ( although he had managed Walsall in the league ) coupled with the signing of non-league players  , Andy Tilson, John Cockerill and Keith Alexander, seemed to imply to a lot of fans that the club were preparing for non-league football. I went to Cambridge that first season and we wee beaten 4-1 ( if I remember correctly ) but it didn't prevent us from becoming the successful side we eventually became.

Absolutely right. That's what I mean.

The signing of John Cockerill especially was a real shock. John had never played pro football and his brother Glenn went off to do great things well away from BP on the advice of his dad, Ron. John went in the RAF I think and then played part time for Skegness. Signing him in his mid to late 20s for Town was a risk but a masterstroke really though his success was not exactly anticipated by the fans, even knowing who his dad was.

Andy Tilson brought us over half a million when he transferred a couple of years later and we all know about Big Keith. But the first season under Buckley was not a success. We were well down the table and it was still quite a while before the Buckley style was settled and he got a full team of players able to do what he wanted.

Personally I'd accept a slow start and a big finish, maybe not this season now but you never know.

Private Message
Reply: 86 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where do we go from here ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.