Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where do we go from here ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 221 Guests

Where do we go from here ?

This thread currently has 13,872 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
February 12, 2017, 3:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Hurst delivered a play off team for a play off budget year on year, he got us promoted. Hurst is currently turning Shrewsbury round and I'm sure he will continue to climb the league ladder. I don't think anyone is saying sack Bignot. People are just questioning the quality of his decisions and the way the team is performing. He's made massive changes, spent on a big squad and added to the backroom staff. He's yet to show that him or his signings are capable of improving us. It's too early to tell, but I think we've backed the wrong horse. Hope I'm wrong.

I think there is an element of posters on here who when they can't say anything positive about MB they come out with negatives regarding PH, odd behaviour that.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 86
RichMariner
February 12, 2017, 5:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I'm concerned about the lack of identity to the brand of football MB is trying to impart here. We're three months into his tenure and I'm not sure what our style is.

Having said that...

When we appointed Scott & Hurst, I remember going to a game towards the end of the season - think it was Darlington at home - and we were appalling.

We lost 1-0, but the performance was much worse than that.

I remember questioning Scott & Hurst on their tactics, and their identity. I just couldn't see how they'd got teams at Ilkeston and Boston winning by big scores.

But their style came through in the end. We lost 5-0 at Braintree early the following season but, after that - with their players (including Hearn) we became more like the promotion-chasing team we wanted to see.

And once Scott left we saw Hurst's style more clearly.

He's a steady pair of hands. He needed time, but he eventually delivered. No one can take that promotion off his CV now. Taking us up would be a bigger achievement than keeping Shrewsbury up.

So what I'm saying is that we know we've got a manager who has achieved success elsewhere, with basically average players on a shoestring budget.

He will have a method, and a system. It might not be for another a few months - or until next season - when we truly see what the Bignot way actually is.

That's why we shouldn't panic too much too soon, and that we give him the time we gave Scott & Hurst, and latterly just Hurst.

I'd be great to achieve success sooner, obviously, but I'm more interested in long term success, built on stable foundations.

And I think we'll get that with Bignot.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 71 - 86
A Brace Of Tees
February 12, 2017, 7:08pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Grim74
It's a bad start for him but he's still got my support as I'm still on a high from Hurst's departure

Seriously?

I too applauded Bignot's appointment and think it quite ridiculous that some are calling for his head already.

But it really pi$$es me off that we're still getting these snide remarks about our previous manager, a man who was very professional, highly organised, built great team spirit with a system of playing which worked for us on a non-league budget, and eventually got us promoted.

And you're on a high that he's departed? All I can say is good luck mate in your parallel universe!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 86
sam gy
February 12, 2017, 10:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,475
Gold Stars: 55
Im completely behind Bignot, of course. I'm behind anyone that's in charge or playing for GTFC, because, well, I bloody love my club.

But agreed, Hurst is a league above us and doing well. Just goes to show why some fans are just that...and are not involved in any decision making at a professional football club! So many fans gave him unwarranted excrement when he was with us, I bet he doesn't miss being here one bit TBH. Who'd blame him.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 86
Mariner93er
February 12, 2017, 11:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
I actually think hurst doing well at shrewsbury proves nothing that we didn't already know about his ability. That he can get a team to defend well, and nick the odd goal. A perfect manager for a relegation threatened team. What he still needs to prove is that he can get a favourite within a league to perform to their ability, and regularly dispatch teams. As we saw, it is much harder to play his style when you're the favourite, hence why we never got close to winning the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 86
HertsGTFC
February 13, 2017, 12:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
93 you're talking cobblers, have you actually seen  Shrewsbury play?

How many "odd goals" did Podge nick last season? As PH got us up I am not convinced he really has anything to prove.

PH played in a way that would utilise the skills and competency of the non league players he had at the club, most where not capable of "champagne football". Marcus may have been better served doing that until the end of this season.

PH is potentially going to do something few managers have done taken sides up and saved a doomed one from relegation - deal with it and move on FFS.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 86
HertsGTFC
February 13, 2017, 12:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
Also........how many "bookies favourites" in August win their leagues?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 86
Mrs Doyle
February 13, 2017, 5:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Had my rant the slate is clean we bounce back.

That is where we go from here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 86
rancido
February 13, 2017, 6:57am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,569
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Jaws
Was there yesterday but just watched the highlights.

3-5-2 does not work.. end of story. We don't have the pace or stamina in our wide men.

But Pearson.... FFS he was looked to be at fault for every goal... watch the highlights. Marking no-one or letting a man run up and past him. Yet after EVERY goal he is waving his arms or shrugging his shoulders suggesting someone else is to blame. I don't think I saw him win the ball. And before you say how was he at fault for the free-kick... well he looked to be in the wall and the wall didn't even jump.

I like Pearson but could be out of his depth now and his recent good form was a flash in the pan.

Pearson has improved consistently season on season since he became a professional footballer with us.

I like Pearson , don't think he is out of his depth and his performance against Crewe went against the form he has shown recently.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 86
stevethefish
February 13, 2017, 7:12am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +773
Gold Stars: 66
Paul Hurst did well. Learned his trade, got better each year and finally got promoted. It was the right time to leave for everyone.

Bignot is from the same "stock".... it's very rare with change that it goes right at the beginning. Irrespective of what happens he should be given until Xmas 20

Let him do it his own way

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where do we go from here ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.