Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next England Manager?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 188 Guests

Next England Manager?

This thread currently has 16,422 views. Print
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Sigone
June 29, 2016, 12:25pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
Wenger the next to be heavily backed :-http://www.sportinglife.com/fo.....arsene-wenger-backed

Tomorrow it will be a different guy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 140
oldun
June 29, 2016, 12:40pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Rob Scott would sort a few out and he is available!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 140
I Hate Chris Hollins
June 29, 2016, 12:56pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +29
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Grim74
Harry should of got the nod ahead of Hodgson, but his time has passed now, I really hope Hoddle doesn't get it he's done nothing to deserve it, and besides he's obviously nuts who can forget the Eileen Drury fiasco and his comments on the disabled, I've also read quotes from ex internationals who played under him saying good football brain but his management skills where urine  poor.

Harry Redknapp is not a future England manager.
Harry Redknapp is not a person.
Harry Redknapp is a noise; audible only to his dopey daughter-in-law, third-rate commercial football media outlets and C0ckney sparrows.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 140
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 29, 2016, 1:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

Harry Redknapp is not a future England manager.
Harry Redknapp is not a person.
Harry Redknapp is a noise; audible only to his dopey daughter-in-law, third-rate commercial football media outlets and C0ckney sparrows.

It's just possible Redknapp might have done a decent job if he had got it at the right time. I doubt it but not for silly reasons like these. Harry is a day to day bloke. The intermittent nature of international management would just not fit him at all. He needs to be with his players as much as possible.

Wenger could do it but he'd be a fool to try. He is not a magician. What he's achieved at Arsenal has been built over time. He gradually dismantled the George Graham team and built his own. But that was different. That team was good, England isn't. Would he have time to do something like that with England? No. Because idiots would start criticising him and getting personal within 6 months if he didn't get fantastic results.

I was in favour of Hodgson because he's an experienced international manager but it didn't work out. Maybe the route to take this time is to forget all of the long term coaching and academy problems, under 21s or whatever and appoint a manager for the national team alone. Appoint someone whose job is purely to get results when it matters by whatever means. Let the team play like Iceland or Brazil it doesn't matter as long as tournament results follow.

So perhaps the FA should not necessarily go for someone who is a successful club manager. Maybe someone who is not a manager at all. That's what Germany did with Klinsmann and before him with Beckenbauer. Perhaps we should recognise that international football is about bringing a team to peak performance at the right time for 8/9 games at the most. Everything else is irrelevant really.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 140
Abdul19
June 29, 2016, 1:24pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,562
Gold Stars: 216

So perhaps the FA should not necessarily go for someone who is a successful club manager.

Tried that with McClaren

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 140
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 29, 2016, 1:32pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Abdul19

Tried that with McClaren

Now go play with your moped round Oliver's Mount.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 140
buckstown
June 29, 2016, 1:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,180
Gold Stars: 79
I think it was Southgate who led the review of junior football a few years ago and did a good job (reduced team, pitch and goal size, playing the ball out instead of hoofball etc). However, I don't get the impression he's going to inspire national fervour or spark rousing comebacks.
He would fit with this young team though
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 140
Balthazar Bullitt
June 29, 2016, 2:06pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
Rednapp's could probably do a job in Russia.
Then again
i***** libellous content removed ***** envelopes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 140
June 29, 2016, 2:06pm
Guest User
perhaps if we looked outside of the pampered league, some very good players in the championship who would give 100% to play for their country, and perhaps a  manager who dosent give a  damn about some of the present crop, never mind   who they are and what they earn , balderdash them and drops them.... we need people who are born in England, live in England and will die for England! .......  just a thought.now back to the darkened room
Reply: 98 - 140
diehardmariner
June 29, 2016, 2:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,612
Gold Stars: 538

So perhaps the FA should not necessarily go for someone who is a successful club manager. Maybe someone who is not a manager at all. That's what Germany did with Klinsmann and before him with Beckenbauer. Perhaps we should recognise that international football is about bringing a team to peak performance at the right time for 8/9 games at the most. Everything else is irrelevant really.

Valid merits in those points.  I've never understood the acclaim given to an England manager based on their coaching credentials.  The time spent with them is so insignificant the coaching influence must be minimal.  

I honestly think if England are to move forward they do need to find an identity (yes I know they've tried this before but it was never given enough time).  Their own identity at that, not one they've copied from French/Spanish/Dutch/German/Whatever is fashionable models, an identity that suits the English style of play.   We need to find this identity and stick with it.  Whoever is appointed into the post of England manager needs to work to it, not try and input their own style of play on the team.   It's a really, really simple concept.  You get players from Schoolboy level through to the full side playing to a set style, they develop at each stage and hopefully they end up as a bloody good side.  We just can't master it, probably because we change philosophy with the wind.  

Private Message
Reply: 99 - 140
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next England Manager?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.