Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next England Manager?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 205 Guests

Next England Manager?

This thread currently has 16,427 views. Print
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerGaz
June 28, 2016, 7:16am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +399
Doesn't really matter, the players are priced out of the foreign leagues so we never have that all encompassing experience that the other countries generally have. Having said that neither do we have any English managers with the tactical nouse and passion displayed by some of those on show in the tournament or the Premier League. Far too insular!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 140
Maringer
June 28, 2016, 7:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,509
Gold Stars: 185
The funny thing there is that you say the players are priced out of playing overseas - in other words, they can get paid a lot more as a sub at a mid-table Premier League club than they could at a top Spanish or Italian team!

I don't doubt plenty would benefit greatly from playing overseas, but it's a big step to move abroad and much too easy just to keep coining it in over here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 140
Rodley Mariner
June 28, 2016, 7:27am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Shearer FFS! If he wants it that much then he should go and be a manager for a bit, try to get avoiding relegation on his CV and then reapply.

I don't think it was a lack of passion last night as much as a total lack of mental strength. Looked like they totally froze to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 140
chrisloz
June 28, 2016, 7:33am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +9
It doesn't matter who we have managing the team. Until we start producing players that can retain possession and have a good level of technical ability, we will continue to go around in circles. We are so far behind other countries , look at how some of the 'smaller' countries maintain possession and always want the ball, you have players who will take a 5 yard pass to feet with 2 opposition players on their back and still manage to make a successful pass to a team mate. We gain possession and our first thought is long ball over the top.

We cant produce players like Toni Kroos, Ozil , Payet , Pogba. Why ?

People say the premier league is the best league in the world , apparently , yet if you took the class and guile of the foreign players away , all we would be left with is a very average league with very average players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 140
golfer
June 28, 2016, 7:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,430
Gold Stars: 116
I think we should reward the F.A.,  Woy, and all  the England players for what they have done for this country before we even think about a new manager , What about a cruise to the Mariana Trench and then pull the plug. We could put this into any future managers contract.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 140
bedders78
June 28, 2016, 7:47am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 12
The Iceland team were set up better. They knew our width came from the full backs and pushed up on them to stop them having the space they had in the group games.  This wasn't helped by Sturridge coming deep all the time.  I'm not sure what Wilshere coming on for Dier was meant to achieve, I can only assume Dier had a knock

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 140
barrattstandman
June 28, 2016, 8:28am
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +477
Gold Stars: 17
Bedders, I don't think you realised the thinking behind Wiltshire for Dier. We were 2-1 down Iceland were not going to commit , so why do we need a holding midfielder as Dier was playing. Wiltshire gave us more of a progressive option from midfield, didn't do any good but the correct thinking
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 140
barrattstandman
June 28, 2016, 8:28am
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +477
Gold Stars: 17
Bedders, I don't think you realised the thinking behind Wiltshire for Dier. We were 2-1 down Iceland were not going to commit , so why do we need a holding midfielder as Dier was playing. Wiltshire gave us more of a progressive option from midfield, didn't do any good but the correct thinking
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 140
Bigdog
June 28, 2016, 10:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Look up the England line up v Germany when the England team and subs that came on played so well. All Roy had to do is choose a right back and find a replacement to do Welbeck's job. There was the winning formula. We played with pace and power that Germany couldn't live with. That's all he had to do. But no, he had to accommodate Rooney. His insistence of playing him changed the whole way the team played. It was like a sub-conscious cloud hanging over the whole team. It affected how every player played, whether it was the slowed down pace or having to play in a slightly different position to get Wayne into the team.

I know other players haven't covered themselves in glory, but the blame lies solely with the manager. It's not Rooney's fault for wanting to play as many games for England as he can, but he just hasn't got it anymore and hasn't for a good two or three seasons. I really hoped I was wrong about Hodgson and Rooney but sadly I wasn't. We've got to stop looking at individual players and look at the team as the sum of the parts. Go and look at the England line up that did so well in Germany. We all remember that we played really well and were all excited about it.

I don't buy the tired argument. I think the team lacked belief. Belief in what they were doing and belief in the manager which turned into sheer panic.

We pay world class manager money, yet we don't get world class managers. Time to get a truly world class manager with a bit of charisma that England players seem to respond to, like Venables or Robson..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 140
Maringer
June 28, 2016, 10:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,509
Gold Stars: 185
The biggest worry last night was the way in which the players were standing around like statues when one of their teammates were in possession. Absolutely no options to pass to which made it more difficult for the midfielders. One of the reasons why we gave the ball away in the middle so often, though bloody rubbish quality of passing was certainly another.

Pass and move - it surely can't be that bloody hard to a top tier player?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 140
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next England Manager?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.