Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next England Manager?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 257 Guests

Next England Manager?

This thread currently has 16,413 views. Print
15 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
RonMariner
June 29, 2016, 11:56pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,542
Gold Stars: 224
That said, Iceland are hardly overflowing with world class players either. But it's normally one of the better teams that beat us (i.e. the likes of Germany, Italy and Argentina).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 140
Meza
June 30, 2016, 6:21am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
So what defines a player as "World Class" then.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 140
Grim74
June 30, 2016, 6:56am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
No problem with Hoddle or his past weird views.  We're not picking an Archbishop of Canterbury for crying out loud.

None of this changes the underlying faults within our football culture, namely that we don't produce technically gifted players who are good enough to get into the top sides in Europe, nor players that have either the emotional or footballing intelligence to approach tournament football.

Basically, our players aren't as good as those on the continent and because 99% of them are thick as two short planks, they're too stupid to move abroad to broaden their skills.  

All of this is encouraged by the FA and the Premier League, who perpetuate the fiction that our league is the "greatest in the world" and somehow part of the solution.  

you might not have a problem with his weirdness but you can't have a situation where these players are laughing and taking the urine behind his back, they players say at the time when they are getting picked by him what a great manager, but then a few years down the line when they bring out their autobiographys you find out what a fruitcake he was, Seamen, Beckham etc even Gary Neville mentioned before a game Hoddle would do his usual pre-match routine of moving around the players, shaking their hands and touching them just over the heart, he'd ask his staff to walk around the pitch anti clockwise to create a positive energy, no wonder he didn't select Gazza for 1998 World Cup he would of been pissing himself laughing to much.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 140
Brisbane Mariner
June 30, 2016, 7:41am

UTM!
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +163
Hoddle with Pearce and Lineker assistants??

Its hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them!
Brisbane - beautiful one day and perfect the next! UTM!!!

Religion: An Idiotic holding of firm belief in an unknown entity. The more challenging it gets, the firmer the hold. Atheists are often condemned as enemies, infidels or morons. Strange rituals are performed at the weekend. My Religion is GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 113 - 140
Stadium
June 30, 2016, 8:52am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,929
Gold Stars: 19
Hoddle out of the game for 10 yrs with a questionable past.
Pearce serial underperformer.
Lineker no experience whatsoever.

Sign them up

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 140
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 30, 2016, 10:38am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from RonMariner

I agree. It's a different assignment from being a club manager. But the likes of Hodson, Greenwood, Hoddle, Maclaren had virtually no major club trophies to their name, so they didn't really succeed at the highest level in that aspect of the game either.

Maybe the sad truth is that we just don't produce enough world class players to compete at the business end of these tournaments.

We do produce good players, technically. I mean, look at someone like Wilshire or Sterling - technically they are decent players. We don't produce players who are dedicated enough or hard enough though. They switch off in games, they don't apply what their training was about, they don't concentrate, they don't do what the manager tells them, there isn't a decent captain amongst them either.

Proof in this morning's paper - a report on Sterling showing off his new mansion in snapchump or whatever it is. That is what they are interested in. I bet they were bored rigid in France.

What England needs is a manager who will only select players who really want to be there and are prepared to do as they are trained to do and to sacrifice individual glory for the sake of the team. They shouldn't need loads of skills drills, they need organisation and concentration exercises like Clive Woodward gave the rugby lads. The manager needs to know about people and tactics more than he needs to know about coaching. Get the best defensive coach just to come and train the back 5. Tony Adams or even John Terry would do. Sign Sheringham or Shearer up to train the strikers on where and when to run. The manager manages.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 140
somersetmariner
June 30, 2016, 11:04am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Meza

Joe Hart

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 140
RonMariner
June 30, 2016, 11:10am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Meza

Someone who can make something happen, breakdown 'park the bus' opposition, can turn a game single handed. I'd say Gareth Bale is world class.

Last genuine English player of true world class I can think of is Gazza. With him in the side we reached two semi finals and were arguably the best team in both!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 140
RonMariner
June 30, 2016, 11:13am

Special Brew Drinker
Thinking about it, the closet thing to international tournament situations in club football is the champions league (and possibly Europa league too).

Maybe we should look at performers with a great track record in those competitions, or, even more obvious, appoint someone who has managed a World Cup or European Championship winning side?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 140
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 30, 2016, 11:33am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from RonMariner

Someone who can make something happen, breakdown 'park the bus' opposition, can turn a game single handed. I'd say Gareth Bale is world class.

Last genuine English player of true world class I can think of is Gazza. With him in the side we reached two semi finals and were arguably the best team in both!

Skill wise I would agree. Bale is a class above his team mates and most other outfield players in the tournament. But he owes money to Joe Hart at least for making him look like a game changer. Arguable the same applies to Ronaldo and Messi but these game changers don't always finish on the winning side. I'd have sacrificed Gazza's brilliant goals straightaway for boring cup wins in Italy and England.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 140
15 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next England Manager?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.