Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next England Manager?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 197 Guests

Next England Manager?

This thread currently has 16,426 views. Print
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Wrawby_Mariner
June 28, 2016, 9:41pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
I'd like Hoddle too. With two assistants. Someone attack minded like Shearer (I said like) and someone defensive minded someone like Gary Neville or Tony Adams .. Again like.

I think it's important younger coaches need that stage on which to build that experience.  It's all well and got them getting a club managers job, but many young coaches get overlooked for foreign ones these days.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 80 - 140
June 28, 2016, 10:17pm
Guest User
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

I hope not I really hope not

Agreed
We'd heard on Match of the Day how well he's being doing with the U21's - but back in 2015 for the U21 EURO they were as bad as the main squad have been this year. In fact they were even worse as they came rock bottom of the group in the group stages. He also got Middlesbrough relegated back in '08/09 somewhere around that time
I'm hoping that the FA don't give another 'yes' man another chance
Reply: 81 - 140
Rodley Mariner
June 28, 2016, 10:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
This is flipping depressing isn't it? Shearer has shown no desire to work his way up - his qualification for being an attack coach is that he was a forward. People are taking the urine about PH - he's way more qualified than that fornicator. Hoddle has been out of management for god knows how long, Southgate is Hodgson but 25 years younger and someone like Howe or Pochettino would have to be mental to consider it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 140
June 28, 2016, 11:27pm
Guest User
Coleman is just lucky that he had a world class player at his disposal. Prior to Wales his record was dire.
Reply: 83 - 140
ginnywings
June 29, 2016, 7:08am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,127
Gold Stars: 548
We could have management by committee. All those TV pundits who tell us where everyone else is going wrong should get together and sort it. Martin Keown should be in charge because he is such an interesting insightful footballing expert that we couldn't go wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 140
mariner2000
June 29, 2016, 7:10am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +164
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from TAGG
See Hoddles odds have shortened.

Would be good with these young players I think.

Judging my his commentary he would simply pick Tottenham players and no others.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 85 - 140
oldun
June 29, 2016, 7:40am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from ginnywings
The FA will look at what Coleman has done with Wales and appoint Southgate because he's sort of a bit like him.

If we cannot do better than Gareth Southgate I despair. He is part of the FA establishment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 140
Maringer
June 29, 2016, 8:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,509
Gold Stars: 185
What's behind all this nonsense about Hoddle getting the job? He's not worked in management for a decade and his managerial successes amount to one League Cup and one Play-off victory.

Plenty of pundits dismissing the likes of Allardyce for never having won anything major, but his managerial CV is a heck of a lot more impressive than that of Hoddle. Not that I'd particularly want him in charge over anyone else!

One thing is for certain, an Allardyce team would have a good idea about what they ought to be doing every time they go out onto the pitch. Whether or not they would be good enough to achieve it is another matter.

I notice that 'Arry is still spouting off, trying to poison the well as usual. The best manager England never had - in his own mind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 140
Grim74
June 29, 2016, 9:18am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Harry should of got the nod ahead of Hodgson, but his time has passed now, I really hope Hoddle doesn't get it he's done nothing to deserve it, and besides he's obviously nuts who can forget the Eileen Drury fiasco and his comments on the disabled, I've also read quotes from ex internationals who played under him saying good football brain but his management skills where urine  poor.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 140
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 29, 2016, 9:34am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I don't think it matters who is appointed England manager. The FA can break the bank and go for Attila The Hun with Ghengis Khan as his assistant but it won't do any good.

Look at the players. They are technically pretty good. They are fit. Some are very pacy. By and large in football terms they are as thick as two short planks and they lack discipline.

A manager can put the discipline in but players have to be prepared to accept it. When England managers have tried to set up a club style defensive system like Capello, the players refused to buy into it. Capello's mistake was in not getting rid of those big name players in the early days and training his own squad but even so I doubt he could find many willing recruits. The English players do not want to work hard enough with their brains.

Look at the squad in France. Some decent players there. Look at their eyes. Like frightened rabbits in the headlights when it comes to shouldering responsibility and doing what they were told and what they agreed to do. Play without fear? They are flat track bullies and when a team stands up to them and gives them no room like Iceland, they cry and cry and shrink back into their little shells.

No manager can do anything with wimps like that. They are the generation that has been over-praised and never made to accept responsibility for their actions. There's always been a scapegoat and some one to bail them out. Look at their faces after the game. The realisation that they and nobody else had made a complete @rse of the tournament. Worst still, they were actually going to get the blame for it.

So who's the next manager? It's a poisoned chalice. Could be anyone. Wenger would be a fool to do it. If the FA wants to win anything then forget about long term coaching schemes and appoint someone to win games and give him the full backing to upset the prima donnas.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 140
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next England Manager?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.