Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next England Manager?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 394 Guests

Next England Manager?

This thread currently has 16,418 views. Print
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Tommy
June 29, 2016, 4:26pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
To be fair DHM, that's already the plan. The FA started rolling out the England DNA 2 years ago so they're 2 years into what is probably a 10 year plan before we see benefits at senior level.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 140
Maringer
June 29, 2016, 4:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
Whoever takes charge, it would be nice if the players could be taught to understand that the phrase, 'possession football', does not mean just kicking the ball across the back line when in the vicinity of the centre circle. I reckon about 90% of our possession in this tournament was within 10 yards of the centre circle.

Wenger would be daft to take the job because we just don't have the clever midfield ball players that his preferred style of play relies on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 140
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 29, 2016, 4:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from diehardmariner

Valid merits in those points.  I've never understood the acclaim given to an England manager based on their coaching credentials.  The time spent with them is so insignificant the coaching influence must be minimal.  

I honestly think if England are to move forward they do need to find an identity (yes I know they've tried this before but it was never given enough time).  Their own identity at that, not one they've copied from French/Spanish/Dutch/German/Whatever is fashionable models, an identity that suits the English style of play.   We need to find this identity and stick with it.  Whoever is appointed into the post of England manager needs to work to it, not try and input their own style of play on the team.   It's a really, really simple concept.  You get players from Schoolboy level through to the full side playing to a set style, they develop at each stage and hopefully they end up as a bloody good side.  We just can't master it, probably because we change philosophy with the wind.  

We can't master it because we can't define an "English" style anymore. We will struggle to determine an English style while ever the PL is full of has-been and mediocre foreigners and English players are only making up the numbers.

I don't think though that the style matters that much. We are collectively indisciplined rather than technically deficient. It's a question of attitude more than organisation. The English players pay lip-service to the idea of sticking to a system. Hodgson had a reasonable system to deal with the Iceland long throw but two players simply failed to do it for no other reason than lack of concentration. The Russian equaliser at the end of the game was exactly the same cause. The team had obviously practised defending far post crosses but Russia could have driven a number 9 Moscow bus through there without the defenders even noticing. It's not ability, it's attitude. I bet they get "bored" with defensive drills. They switch off in training and it's a joke. Then they switch off in a game and it's a disaster.

I'll throw in one name, not because I think he would get the job but because he has the right sort of experience and the sort of tough personality we should be looking for - Patrick Viera.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 140
carrot top
June 29, 2016, 4:57pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
Hoddle should be given the job.

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 140
kevikov
June 29, 2016, 6:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from carrot top

I just don't think he would get the respect he deserves from the players after so long out of management.

He won't get it now but I think Harry redknapp would have been a decent quarter final bet in any tournament.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 140
Squinter
June 29, 2016, 6:48pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +587
Gold Stars: 9
Only TV pundit I can listen to is Danny Murphy, talks a lot of sense.  Was a good player in his day and always gave 100% if not blessed with the talent of others.  Not sure if he wants to venture into management though
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 140
grimsby pete
June 29, 2016, 6:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from carrot top

If Hoddle got the job at his first press conference,

A reporter will ask Hoddle,  " Do you have the same beliefs about disabled people as before ? "

Hoddle will reply ??????????????????

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 140
fishkeeper
June 29, 2016, 7:33pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +136
hoddle with howe and Neville assisting
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 140
HackneyHaddock
June 29, 2016, 10:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
No problem with Hoddle or his past weird views.  We're not picking an Archbishop of Canterbury for crying out loud.

None of this changes the underlying faults within our football culture, namely that we don't produce technically gifted players who are good enough to get into the top sides in Europe, nor players that have either the emotional or footballing intelligence to approach tournament football.

Basically, our players aren't as good as those on the continent and because 99% of them are thick as two short planks, they're too stupid to move abroad to broaden their skills.  

All of this is encouraged by the FA and the Premier League, who perpetuate the fiction that our league is the "greatest in the world" and somehow part of the solution.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 140
RonMariner
June 29, 2016, 11:53pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,658
Gold Stars: 226

So perhaps the FA should not necessarily go for someone who is a successful club manager. Maybe someone who is not a manager at all. That's what Germany did with Klinsmann and before him with Beckenbauer. Perhaps we should recognise that international football is about bringing a team to peak performance at the right time for 8/9 games at the most. Everything else is irrelevant really.

I agree. It's a different assignment from being a club manager. But the likes of Hodson, Greenwood, Hoddle, Maclaren had virtually no major club trophies to their name, so they didn't really succeed at the highest level in that aspect of the game either.

Maybe the sad truth is that we just don't produce enough world class players to compete at the business end of these tournaments.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 140
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next England Manager?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.