HertsGTFC
May 30, 2016, 1:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from grimps

You think we get stock from Tesco at the price it was originally produced ? If Tesco bought up all the stock of anything they could then proceed to sell them at any price they wished.
A football/concert ticket is just another commodity , and this lad is smart enough to realise that and make a fortune from it.
Fair play to him

To answer "You think we get stock from Tesco at the price it was originally produced ?" no I don't and I am not daft enough not to think that on some lines (usually non grocery) they make very large mark ups which are then eaten into by costs to some degree. Though I don't anymore I have spent most of my career in retail so I know how it works.    

When you buy a "commodity" from Tesco it has not already been advertised to the General Public at a fixed price before Tesco bought it to sell to you, there in lies the issue.

Also usually if a Super Market buys up  all of a commodity in a market place it will sell it at a reasonable price to drive footfall into the stores rather than inflating the price and risk being left with it sat on the shelves or becoming waste if it has a date code attached to it.  

I have absolutely no problem with people making money and removing "glass ceilings" in society but I do have a problem with free speech being removed by people who really should know better.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 95
BeijingMariner
May 30, 2016, 2:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from grimps

So what society do we have now ?
People buying up housing stock ?
companies buying up Steel works and breaking them up and selling off the profitable parts of the business?

Just about every other commodity is bought in bulk and sold off at profit , the only problem this guy has is he's one of us , he wasn't born into the 1% yet he might do one day if he keeps coming up with good business ideas.
Are we all supposed to stay in our place ? There are enough glass ceilings in this country without being held back by your own.

It sounds for all the world like you think this is a class issue, but that is tosh. This is a character issue. This man has a shady character, he is a chancer, doesn't care who he rips off or disappoints (more to the point) by taking the tickets out of the reach of the ordinary punter even more than they were at the original price. Not only is this not a class issue, this man clearly has no class.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 72 - 95
KingstonMariner
May 30, 2016, 6:02pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from GrimRob
It's not easy keeping all parties happy. In my time at the Fishy I have had, at various times, demands from managers, players, players wives, directors, police officers, various club employees, solicitors, photographers and numerous fans of different persuasions. Those are the ones I can remember. All these people have rung me up out of the blue, usually at unexpected times, with their demands. At the moment I am on holiday and had to deal with one of these unexpected requests in far from ideal circumstances. You don't always make the right calls in these situations.

Rob, sorry if I was a bit harsh with you (obviously didn't think 2 or 3 times before I pressed send. I appreciate you are in a difficult position. Much respect to you for your final sentence.

Have a great holiday.

(be nice to hear the facts about the request you got from the club though   )

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 95
Mrs Doyle
May 30, 2016, 6:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Rather you than me Rob must be like now wtf has happened,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 95
Jaws
May 30, 2016, 6:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from grimps

You think we get stock from Tesco at the price it was originally produced ? If Tesco bought up all the stock of anything they could then proceed to sell them at any price they wished.
A football/concert ticket is just another commodity , and this lad is smart enough to realise that and make a fortune from it.
Fair play to him

If I went to Tesco, bought everything then sold it to you for 10x the price you'd be annoyed.....

Some of the people defending him have moaned about playoff final prices at £44, imagine if we were capable of filling Wembley and he was flogging them at £100 a pop. Whilst he does sell tickets, he'll often not sell them and as a result a genuine fan doesn't go when there are empty seats. Happens a bit at premiership clubs actually.
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 95
mimma
May 30, 2016, 7:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
First of all I would like to apologise to Grim Rob & the Fishy for suggesting that I would assault Mr. Newman if I were to sit next to him at Blundell Park. I was speaking out of annoyance after been held to ransom by Newman & Ticketmaster over a Christmas present for my son, to go to watch Muse. I actually wouldn't take such action in any case,, been old, over weight, & too short to attempt it.
I will not however, apologise for calling him a parasite, simply because that is exactly what he is. I paid £209 for two £45 tickets. This means that they are making more money/ticket than the bands, & the venue put together. They have cleaned up tickets for Adel & Radiohead, then reselling them for THOUSANDS of pounds each using clever software to buy up tickets before fans get a chance.
This government must take some of the blame with their "market forces" approach when dealing with this problem. They talk the talk, but do nothing to protect the consumer.
There is a petition on the .GOV website calling for action. I currently stands at 42,000 signatures. If it gets 100,000 it will trigger a debate in Parliament.
Could I therefore ask that if you , like me, have strong views on this whole subject, please, please sign the petition.
Once again, I am sorry for the problems that my original post have caused you Rob. I should have thought about what I was posting.

UTM

MIMMA
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 95
RichMariner
May 30, 2016, 10:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,160
Gold Stars: 211
This whole episode is just very, very odd.

What did GTFC expect to happen by asking the comments to be removed?

The conversation's also happening over on Twitter. Are they going to try and sensor that too? Good luck to them.

In my view, by asking the Fishy to remove comments made by fans regarding the morality and practice of Mr Newman, it's in effect supporting the practice of ticket touts.

And I'm not comfortable with that in the slightest.

There are people at the club who clearly think they can control what we say. They can't. All they're doing, by issuing this gagging order, is stirring the conversation into a bigger deal than it originally was.

Nice one. Way to go.

Two weeks on from winning promotion back to the Football League and we've had our major shareholder make some unrepresentative remarks about League 3, and now this.

If they're trying to destroy the positive vibes from Wembley, then they're doing a damn good job.

I absolutely love my football club but sometimes I want to walk into the offices there and shake the silliness out of them. They make such elementary mistakes and it frustrates the hell out of me.

Can one of them just invest a bit of money into someone who can advise them on matters such as this. A good PR professional could've told them to just leave this one as the discussion was dying a death anyway.

If we had a motto underneath our badge it'd probably say 'Speak Now, Think Later'.

No wonder we got relegated to non-league. This lack of thought and anticipation of the future is what got us into the almighty mess we've been experiencing for the last 14 years.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 77 - 95
Jaws
May 30, 2016, 10:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from mimma
First of all I would like to apologise to Grim Rob & the Fishy for suggesting that I would assault Mr. Newman if I were to sit next to him at Blundell Park. I was speaking out of annoyance after been held to ransom by Newman & Ticketmaster over a Christmas present for my son, to go to watch Muse. I actually wouldn't take such action in any case,, been old, over weight, & too short to attempt it.
I will not however, apologise for calling him a parasite, simply because that is exactly what he is. I paid £209 for two £45 tickets. This means that they are making more money/ticket than the bands, & the venue put together. They have cleaned up tickets for Adel & Radiohead, then reselling them for THOUSANDS of pounds each using clever software to buy up tickets before fans get a chance.
This government must take some of the blame with their "market forces" approach when dealing with this problem. They talk the talk, but do nothing to protect the consumer.
There is a petition on the .GOV website calling for action. I currently stands at 42,000 signatures. If it gets 100,000 it will trigger a debate in Parliament.
Could I therefore ask that if you , like me, have strong views on this whole subject, please, please sign the petition.
Once again, I am sorry for the problems that my original post have caused you Rob. I should have thought about what I was posting.

UTM

MIMMA

To be fair, you'd have to get him to BP first!!
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 95
KingstonMariner
May 30, 2016, 11:36pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from RichMariner
This whole episode is just very, very odd.

What did GTFC expect to happen by asking the comments to be removed?

The conversation's also happening over on Twitter. Are they going to try and sensor that too? Good luck to them.

In my view, by asking the Fishy to remove comments made by fans regarding the morality and practice of Mr Newman, it's in effect supporting the practice of ticket touts.

And I'm not comfortable with that in the slightest.

There are people at the club who clearly think they can control what we say. They can't. All they're doing, by issuing this gagging order, is stirring the conversation into a bigger deal than it originally was.

Nice one. Way to go.

Two weeks on from winning promotion back to the Football League and we've had our major shareholder make some unrepresentative remarks about League 3, and now this.

If they're trying to destroy the positive vibes from Wembley, then they're doing a damn good job.

I absolutely love my football club but sometimes I want to walk into the offices there and shake the silliness out of them. They make such elementary mistakes and it frustrates the hell out of me.

Can one of them just invest a bit of money into someone who can advise them on matters such as this. A good PR professional could've told them to just leave this one as the discussion was dying a death anyway.

If we had a motto underneath our badge it'd probably say 'Speak Now, Think Later'.

No wonder we got relegated to non-league. This lack of thought and anticipation of the future is what got us into the almighty mess we've been experiencing for the last 14 years.

Whoever it was decided to make this request at the club has just shot themselves in the foot. An issue that would have fizzled out has just been given legs and has caused a bit more of a rift between sections of the supporter base and 'the club'.

If this club represents its supporters in any way, then it makes sense for those supporters to debate what values they think are important. If it doesn't represent us in some way then I wonder what we're all doing.

Personally, I'm sick of hearing about tickets being sold out within minutes of them being available on the official website, only for them to appear at inflated prices on some third-party website very shortly afterwards. Personally I wouldn't buy them. These middlemen are not providing a service to either the public or the seller - it's not like Tescos sourcing products from across the globe and breaking bulk to re-sell to customers. In the age of the internet, these middlemen serve no function. Do we want money made this way?

If, for example, there are discussions going on in the background about a middleman investing more in the club, and someone is worried about him getting spooked by comments on here and taking his bat home then maybe he isn't the sponsor for us. If he's got nowt to be ashamed of then it shouldn't be a concern. Maybe there isn't a good match in 'brand values'.

I'd love to know what the Trust reps on the board think about this.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 95
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sponsors of the club

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.