Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: GrimRob, May 29, 2016, 5:51pm
Some posts appeared on the Fishy yesterday criticising the business activities of a major sponsor of the club, even though they are perfectly legal. These have now been removed at the request of the club. Fans are asked not to attack sponsors of the club who contributed to the club's promotion and who it is hoped will continue to support the club. Your co-operation going forward is appreciated as the club try and secure sponsorship for next season.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 29, 2016, 6:00pm; Reply: 1
Unfuckinbelievable some people just want us to crash. :B
Posted by: blackandwhitelaces, May 29, 2016, 6:39pm; Reply: 2
I don't see the big deal myself WHERE ALL TOWN ARENT WE  8) 8)
Posted by: MarinerGaz, May 29, 2016, 6:39pm; Reply: 3
Should've played at Tranmere...you want to look into the business activities of the main finder of another black and white team!
Posted by: Chrisblor, May 29, 2016, 6:40pm; Reply: 4
Which sponsor? Is this related to Andrew Newman? Since when has he been an 'official sponsor' of gtfc? Might be legal what he does, but it's morally bankrupt and worthy of criticism regardless of the club's pathetic attempt to gag its supporters.
Posted by: grimps, May 29, 2016, 6:43pm; Reply: 5
Supply and demand !
That's the whole nature of business , the guy is doing nothing different to what Tescos do yet is being criticised  by jealous little nobody's
Posted by: LH, May 29, 2016, 6:50pm; Reply: 6
Just as I was about to go on a tirade about how inferior Young's fish fingers are.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 29, 2016, 6:46pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Chrisblor
Which sponsor? Is this related to Andrew Newman? Since when has he been an 'official sponsor' of gtfc? Might be legal what he does, but it's morally bankrupt and worthy of criticism regardless of the club's pathetic attempt to gag its supporters.

+1
Posted by: Ipswin, May 29, 2016, 6:53pm; Reply: 8
Point is will he be putting his hand in his pocket again next season? 'Sponsors' tend to be more than just single occasion contributors

If not we have lost nowt by pointing out his business methods If he is going to chip in a few bob again then well done son !

I don't care if its Nazi gold so long as it helps swell Town's coffers.
Posted by: Chrisblor, May 29, 2016, 6:52pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from grimps
Supply and demand !
That's the whole nature of business , the guy is doing nothing different to what Tescos do yet is being criticised  by jealous little nobody's

No, it has nothing to do with jealously. He is exploiting ticket sales by using techniques to bulk buy tickets for popular events as soon as they go on sale with the specific intent of depriving legitimate customers from being able to purchase tickets at face value. His entire business is based on preventing your average person from accessing a ticket market, so he can flog the tickets he never intended on using at a huge mark-up. While it may be legal, it's an incredibly scummy business model and highly depressing to see the club attempting to censor criticism of him because he's chucked them a couple of quid.

Imagine if we had enough fans to fill Wembley, and you'd missed out on getting a ticket at face value because some ticket tout twit had bought them all as soon as they went on sale - i'm sure you'd be totally fine and be decrying any criticism as 'jealousy' in that situation yeah?
Posted by: ska face, May 29, 2016, 7:03pm; Reply: 10
Absolutely laughable, but not surprising given The Fishy's history of bending over for The Club.

Whoever wanted those posts removed can suck a male private - are fans not allowed to voice their opinion anymore? "Fans are asked not to attack sponsors", I'll "attack" whoever I please, thanks, and that includes Fenty, Andrew Newman, John Newman, Gary Numan, Ticketmaster, the Football League - you can't silence people who have objections to certain things.

Let's remember that there were thousands of people who contributed to the club's promotion - myself included - and we're not sheltered from attacks, least of all by attacks from people like John Fenty, do we need to put his motivational speech up again?

Who's next for the gagging order, the Daily Record?
Posted by: mimma, May 29, 2016, 7:05pm; Reply: 11
Newcastle got into a row with their fans when they were sponsored by Wonga. The fans & media were critical because of the nature in which Wonga did its business even though it was legal.

It's a question of morality.  
Posted by: 137 (Guest), May 29, 2016, 7:17pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from GrimRob
Some posts appeared on the Fishy yesterday criticising the business activities of a major sponsor of the club, even though they are perfectly legal. These have now been removed at the request of the club. Fans are asked not to attack sponsors of the club who contributed to the club's promotion and who it is hoped will continue to support the club. Your co-operation going forward is appreciated as the club try and secure sponsorship for next season.

Firstly Rob, the fact that something is 'perfectly legal' does not mean it must be immune to criticism.
There are numerous migrant workers from the EU in this country (though not as many as there are Brits working abroad in the EU) who are here perfectly legally - but they have scarcely escaped criticism from the right-wing press/morons in UKIP/Leave campaign.

Here is an article about Andrew Newman:
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scotlands-biggest-ticket-tout-millionaires-8067928

here is a quote from that article:

He added: “Top police officers have suggested that touts are a facet of organised crime and I believe we should regard them as such.

“The law is being broken hundreds of times every day but we need more specific legislation and stiffer penalties for those who are harvesting tickets and making a fortune at the expense of genuine fans.

Thus if this thread refers to the said scumbag (that's my opinion, ok?) your claim that his activities are perfectly legal is itself at least questionable.
Posted by: Ipswin, May 29, 2016, 7:18pm; Reply: 13
Can we afford to be choosy? Apart from Youngs (who in fairness might not wish to be associated with any less than squeaky clean fellow sponsors so we have to be careful) I don't see any big name high street companies fighting to be associated with GFTC
Personally I have grave doubts about allowing the Mullens into the club but I suppose their cash is as good as anyones.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 29, 2016, 7:28pm; Reply: 14
Here we go again is my immediate response. Say what you like about GTFC as long as it's not critical of anyone with any financial stake in the club.
Posted by: gtfc98, May 29, 2016, 7:34pm; Reply: 15
We don't want that con man's money. Legal or otherwise. What he's doing is morally wrong, that's my opinion and it's perfectly reasonable.
Posted by: Ipswin, May 29, 2016, 7:43pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from gtfc98
We don't want that con man's money. Legal or otherwise. What he's doing is morally wrong, that's my opinion and it's perfectly reasonable.

Whose money are you referring to?

Posted by: Davec, May 29, 2016, 7:40pm; Reply: 17
What doubts have you got about the Mullen family Ipswin ?

Just asking out of interest
Posted by: MrFisherman, May 29, 2016, 7:42pm; Reply: 18
It's pretty pathetic by the club what they have done to the Fishy any chance of reminding the Club when they signed a very dodgy shirt sponsorship deal with a locally known conman ;)
Posted by: gtfc98, May 29, 2016, 7:43pm; Reply: 19
Referring to the ticket tout Ipswin.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 29, 2016, 7:51pm; Reply: 20
Just a reminder to you Rob, the front of this site says 'The Independent Grimsby Town site'.

Perhaps you ought to change that to 'The Independent till you say something remotely critical Grimsby Town site'.
Posted by: Ipswin, May 29, 2016, 7:53pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Davec
What doubts have you got about the Mullen family Ipswin ?

Just asking out of interest

I just happen to think the arrival of overnight local celebs in the form of lottery winners (whoever they might be) in the board rooms of football clubs especially when their monetary contribution is relatively small is not a good thing
Successful football clubs are no longer owned / run / financed by the local builder, butcher, baker or fishmonger.oh hang on, perhaps the odd one still owes its existence to a box of haddock fillets
Posted by: ska face, May 29, 2016, 7:52pm; Reply: 22
Just as an aside, this YET AGAIN shows that those at the top of the GTFC tree just haven't got a flipping clue.

That thread yesterday was a nothing issue, in the grand scheme of things - it had already died a death and would've been consigned to the archive with the other tens of thousands of threads by this time this tomorrow.

By forcing Rob to delete it, and issuing a statement telling the fans what they can & can't say, they've done nothing but kick up a shitstorm that will have repercussions further down the line.

But still, THANK YOU MR FENTY! I LOVE YOU! WHAT ABOUT THE ORANGE!!!!
Posted by: marinerjase, May 29, 2016, 7:54pm; Reply: 23
Just change name of this to 'The Fenty' ..jobs a good'un.
Posted by: Davec, May 29, 2016, 8:01pm; Reply: 24
I think the word "independent" should be removed from The Fishy just like another poster mentioned
Posted by: realist, May 29, 2016, 8:23pm; Reply: 25
I thought some posts on the original topic were a bit harsh but after reading the suggested articles i totally agree with them. Do we really want to be sponsored by somebody like this and then censored by the  club?
Posted by: mimma, May 29, 2016, 8:28pm; Reply: 26
As far as I can tell, he has only paid to be on the team photo. He's not a club sponsor as such.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 29, 2016, 8:44pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Just a reminder to you Rob, the front of this site says 'The Independent Grimsby Town site'.

Perhaps you ought to change that to 'The Independent till you say something remotely critical Grimsby Town site'.

Just to remind you, there's almost never been a day when there hasn't been a prominent thread which is highly critical of some aspect of GTFC on the site for months! I don't know what the club's plans are for this individual but we were asked to help out. He sounds like a pretty clever guy to me, never met him, but we could do a lot worse than a young self-made entrepreneur.
Posted by: FFS, May 29, 2016, 8:46pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from GrimRob

FFS
Posted by: moosey_club, May 29, 2016, 8:47pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Chrisblor

No, it has nothing to do with jealously. He is exploiting ticket sales by using techniques to bulk buy tickets for popular events as soon as they go on sale with the specific intent of depriving legitimate customers from being able to purchase tickets at face value. His entire business is based on preventing your average person from accessing a ticket market, so he can flog the tickets he never intended on using at a huge mark-up. While it may be legal, it's an incredibly scummy business model and highly depressing to see the club attempting to censor criticism of him because he's chucked them a couple of quid.

Imagine if we had enough fans to fill Wembley, and you'd missed out on getting a ticket at face value because some ticket tout twit had bought them all as soon as they went on sale - i'm sure you'd be totally fine and be decrying any criticism as 'jealousy' in that situation yeah?

Today i bought a rare Van Gough....i have no interest in the worthiness of the art of the picture but bought it as an investment .......
Posted by: LH, May 29, 2016, 9:30pm; Reply: 30
I wonder if people would be as easy with his company's activities if they were to buy up all 3000 tickets for Doncaster away next season to sell off for double the price.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 29, 2016, 9:35pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from GrimRob

Just to remind you, there's almost never been a day when there hasn't been a prominent thread which is highly critical of some aspect of GTFC on the site for months! I don't know what the club's plans are for this individual but we were asked to help out. He sounds like a pretty clever guy to me, never met him, but we could do a lot worse than a young self-made entrepreneur.

So you're happy to be what? 90% independent? 95% independent? Independent when the club lets you?
Posted by: austinmitchell, May 29, 2016, 9:35pm; Reply: 32
Embarrassing, embarrassing, embarrassing. I'm sorry but what this man is doing is immoral, I don't care if he's being described as an 'entrepreneur'. The people on this forum would be quick to criticise touts in any other form, but because he's donated a few quid to Town he's forgiven. Sad.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), May 29, 2016, 9:41pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Ipswin
Point is will he be putting his hand in his pocket again next season? 'Sponsors' tend to be more than just single occasion contributors

If not we have lost nowt by pointing out his business methods If he is going to chip in a few bob again then well done son !

I don't care if its Nazi gold so long as it helps swell Town's coffers.

Yeah, on reflection I'd probably draw the line at Nazi gold.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), May 29, 2016, 9:49pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from ska face
I'll "attack" whoever I please, thanks, and that includes Fenty, Andrew Newman, John Newman, Gary Numan, Ticketmaster, the Football League - you can't silence people who have objections to certain things

For intercourse's sake, it's always Gary flipping Numan on this site. What is the fishy's problem with him? Granted, Cars was the end of a run of hits and he couldn't write an album, but there are some great singles. Clearly, some need to rediscover I Die: You Die and Metal. Also Music For Chameleons which features the bass solo Alan Partridge takes the urine out of.

Code
I hate WWE and those signs were really getting on my Bell end

Posted by: heppy88, May 29, 2016, 9:50pm; Reply: 35
The fact that the club is receiving monies from an individual that is fleecing the average Joe, who just wants to watch his favourite band or favourite sporting event for the face value, instead of having to pay highly inflated prices to line the pocket of an individual and the resale companies, is bad enough! But then for the club to snuff out discussion, debate and opinion on a supposedly independent forum, for whatever self serving reason is utterly disgraceful. Yes I accept football clubs have to be run like a business, but who said ethics and morality cannot be part of that business model? The Fishy is being censored and the powers that be have allowed it. Pathetic!!
Posted by: moosey_club, May 29, 2016, 9:52pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from LH
I wonder if people would be as easy with his company's activities if they were to buy up all 3000 tickets for Doncaster away next season to sell off for double the price.

personally...i would p1ss myself at the thought of him losing money......i have a rule when it comes to tickets...i pay  how much it should be on the face value.....THE PEOPLE.create and sustain touts....stop buying and they WILL die. Simples.
Posted by: heppy88, May 29, 2016, 10:10pm; Reply: 37
I cannot believe what is happening. The club that represents our community and Town are defending an incredibly unethical practice. A club, that has a supposed pillar of the community (Councillor) at its helm, who should be setting himself as an upstanding member of the community, is acting for purely financial concerns (regardless of the effect the unethical practice has on others) and is then actively pressuring censorship. What next? Contributors suddenly start disappearing from the Fishy because their point of view does not adhere to the clubs? GrimRob are you aware of the precedent that has been set here?
Posted by: Jaws, May 29, 2016, 10:23pm; Reply: 38
Unfortunately people at the club don't know what it's like to miss out on tickets or bend over backwards trying to get them.

Use your nazi gold to fund our stadium or sling yer hook. I might have only donated a small amount to Operation Promotion but I'm sure the net contribution of posters who disagree is more than this guys?

He isn't a sponsor. He bought a squad place to inflate his ego. How often was he at BP last season I bet he didn't buy 2 burgers from Mariners Kitchen in the same game or an inflatable fish a match day program.

I bet he hasn't even drunk on one of those chlamydia stickers in the Pontoon urinals.
Posted by: Caesar, May 29, 2016, 10:40pm; Reply: 39
This seems one of those classic cases of how to make a mountain out of a tossing molehill.  

Guy gives money to Operation Promotion, guy has some questionable ways of making money, fans discuss questionable method of making some money, posts taken down.  Really?

I really admire Rob and everyone who runs the fishy, it can often be something of a thankless task.  I also think most critcism on here is very open and not censored at all.

But this is majorly unecessary and so sodding counter productive.  I wasn't sure where I was on the debate between iis it morally reprehensible or clever (to be honest I think 90% of how entrepreneurs make money is somewhat reprehnsible, I mean the people behind see tickets adding bookiing fees to each ticket they sell is a way of screwing over people) this kind of reaction to it though seems to make it easier to decide which side of the fence I should come down on.  
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, May 29, 2016, 10:59pm; Reply: 40
Did no one know what he did last year?
Posted by: chaos33, May 29, 2016, 11:06pm; Reply: 41
Absolutely preposterous that the club should attempt to tell people what to think and say, and even more so that a so called 'independent' Town site should attempt to censor or edit the views of its own contributors. I hope the fans give this the figurative two fingers and continue to think and say what they want, within legal parameters.
Posted by: BeijingMariner, May 29, 2016, 11:15pm; Reply: 42
It's glaringly obvious that a football team should not be supporting the practices of a ticket tout.
Anything to the contrary would be funny of it weren't so odious.
This is a major error by Town after taking so much of the fans money in good faith.
Ticket touts are chancers and opportunists, the last people we want supporting our team in any shape.
He can keep his lousy 2500 and they should take his face off the site.
I wonder what the players think?
Posted by: 75 (Guest), May 29, 2016, 11:29pm; Reply: 43
Personally, I'm a huge Radiohead fan, never been able to see them and it's one of my remaining targets in life. I've missed out on countless f5's as clearly I didn't have the clever coding and the algorithms etc, certainly couldn't do the £700 for the Roundhouse though I did pay £80 for Richard Ashcroft tickets at the Roundhouse (£35 tickets)  the day after we won at Wembley via Getmein. So indirectly, I suppose I have * 'sponsored' the club. excrement happens, clever people do better than me, dunno what I think of it.

It is as unsavoury as Wonga but clearly legal. I've had issues with this site for a long time now, the puppet of 'the board', the issues with Jake Olley's SWWF, the Radio Humberside debacle, the Compass FM shite, the symbiotic relationship with the Leicester based Telewag. I was invited back after buggering off for some time by Rob (to be fair to him) but I've never been comfortable with the 'independent' nature of the site since it was shut down by John Fenty and re-appeared gagged in my opinion. It doesn't sit comfortable with me and I haven't ever posted like I used to. It isn't naivety, I agreed a while ago to 'think' before I post and I've tried to stick with that but this is a moderated site, and it is not moderated by the site owner, well maybe he thinks so............

* BPV only insinuates he may have sponsored the club indirectly if the WWE chap has acquired my cash via being generally cleverer than me and my f5.
Posted by: bradzmilne, May 29, 2016, 11:35pm; Reply: 44
For face value tickets... Check out twickets - thank me later. UTM
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 29, 2016, 11:57pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from GrimRob

I miss the Grim Outlook.
Posted by: Jaws, May 30, 2016, 12:23am; Reply: 46
Quoted from GrimRob
major sponsor of the club

Not a major sponsor - club would have mentioned it on his player bio.

Quoted from GrimRob
Fans are asked not to attack sponsors of the club who contributed to the club's promotion and who it is hoped will continue to support the club.

Many on here contributed to the clubs promotion yet we were attacked countless times over the season by Mr Fenty and Mr Hurst with the latter even having a dig after winning promotion. I contributed to this club many years before Hurst and would continue to do so after. Fenty a bit different, but our collective effort of turning up in our thousands shouldn't be ignored.

Quoted from GrimRob
Your co-operation going forward is appreciated as the club try and secure sponsorship for next season.

If a sponsor is put off by that thread, then I have to question what are they hiding that they are afraid of us knowing - and should we really be taking their cash? If they're whiter than white then they wouldn't give 2 hoots.

Posted by: davmariner, May 30, 2016, 12:57am; Reply: 47
Very disappointed in GTFC. Let's not have a pop at Rob, fair play to him for explaining why the original thread was taken down. For what it's worth, I would ask the club, in response, to distance itself from this individual. Sometimes the club has to put principle first, regardless of how much money is on the table. If the club wish to encourage sponsorship by these means then I for one will be keeping my money in my pocket other than for tickets.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 30, 2016, 1:07am; Reply: 48
Quoted from Caesar
This seems one of those classic cases of how to make a mountain out of a tossing molehill.  

Guy gives money to Operation Promotion, guy has some questionable ways of making money, fans discuss questionable method of making some money, posts taken down.  Really?

I really admire Rob and everyone who runs the fishy, it can often be something of a thankless task.  I also think most critcism on here is very open and not censored at all.

But this is majorly unecessary and so sodding counter productive.  I wasn't sure where I was on the debate between iis it morally reprehensible or clever (to be honest I think 90% of how entrepreneurs make money is somewhat reprehnsible, I mean the people behind see tickets adding bookiing fees to each ticket they sell is a way of screwing over people) this kind of reaction to it though seems to make it easier to decide which side of the fence I should come down on.  

Sums it up perfectly for me.

(90% is over-exaggerated but I get your drift).
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 30, 2016, 1:11am; Reply: 49
Quoted from GrimRob

Rob, when you say the club, was it someone writing in an official capacity on behalf of the club, e.g. Ian Fleming or was it someone else? A director for example?
Posted by: Davec, May 30, 2016, 7:05am; Reply: 50
As mentioned before the club should sever all ties with Andrew Newman, even if we do lose out financially it's a point of principle, I think he's only donated to Operation Promotion and nothing else so it's unlike we'll be losing out on valuable financial support, however I concede the fact I may be incorrect on how much financial assistance he does provide.

The fact that the club is seemingly supporting his ways and means of making money doesn't emanate a good impression, remember we turned down the chance to sign Ched Evans to protect our reputation, we didn't even need to pay his wages! But yet here is the club seemingly condoning a ticket tout, surely that doesn't help our reputation?

How Andrew Newman makes his money isn't illegal but it is morally wrong and this sort of action should be frowned upon by the club, considering the club itself doesn't allow tickets to be sold for more than face value, something what Andrew does to make money, albeit not with GTFC tickets but that's not the point

I've said in the past that GTFC run The Fishy, and incidents like these is only adding more coal to the fire, nothing in the previous thread was unacceptable in my opinion, so the club stop us from saying things, but it's quite okay for John Fenty and Hurst to have digs at us is it? The word hypocrite comes to mind.

With all due respect Rob I think you should be more brave and not constantly bow down to the clubs demands, if not remove the word "independent" from the home page because it doesn't seem independent at the minute.

I know there's certain posters out there who's up the clubs bottom and think they can do no wrong who will red cross this but go ahead and red cross it, red crosses mean nothing to me
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 30, 2016, 8:06am; Reply: 51
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Rob, when you say the club, was it someone writing in an official capacity on behalf of the club, e.g. Ian Fleming or was it someone else? A director for example?

Good point - at least if someone wants to take away The Fishy's independence, they should be named - I'm guessing it was Kim Jong Un.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, May 30, 2016, 8:14am; Reply: 52
Quoted from Davec

I've said in the past that GTFC run The Fishy, and incidents like these is only adding more coal to the fire, nothing in the previous thread was unacceptable in my opinion

Not even when someone said they would physically assault Newman if they met him? Got loads of green ticks. Some people's morals are oddly selective.
Posted by: Davec, May 30, 2016, 8:30am; Reply: 53
Meanwood Mariner

I don't recall seeing that post saying they would assault him, I must have missed that, whoever said it should be a ashamed of themselves
Posted by: TAGG, May 30, 2016, 8:46am; Reply: 54
Quoted from GrimRob
Some posts appeared on the Fishy yesterday criticising the business activities of a major sponsor of the club, even though they are perfectly legal. These have now been removed at the request of the club. Fans are asked not to attack sponsors of the club who w to the club's promotion and who it is hoped will continue to support the club. Your co-operation going forward is appreciated as the club try and secure sponsorship for next season.

"These have now been removed at the request of the club"

What a load of balderdash should have told them to intercourse OFF.

I know nothing about this bloke and am not that arsed about him ether way. What I am arsed about is people's freedom of speech and the people who think they can trample all over it.
Posted by: TAGG, May 30, 2016, 8:56am; Reply: 55
Quoted from 97

For intercourse's sake, it's always Gary flipping Numan on this site. What is the fishy's problem with him? Granted, Cars was the end of a run of hits and he couldn't write an album, but there are some great singles. Clearly, some need to rediscover I Die: You Die and Metal. Also Music For Chameleons which features the bass solo Alan Partridge takes the urine out of.

Code
I hate WWE and those signs were really getting on my Bell end

😂 Brilliant mate 😂 😂
Posted by: Ipswin, May 30, 2016, 9:04am; Reply: 56
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I miss the Grim Outlook.

This - its disappearance is a disaster and in a promotion season too. Come on guys, if you are monitoring this shitesite please restart GO asap.

Posted by: Grimsby2012, May 30, 2016, 9:46am; Reply: 57
I don't see any attacking here, only "FANS" lodging their concerns. I find it a tad distasteful that the club has tried to silence it's supporters by restricting any conversation among fans over their displeasure.....
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 30, 2016, 9:57am; Reply: 58
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Good point - at least if someone wants to take away The Fishy's independence, they should be named - I'm guessing it was Kim Jong Un.

And I wonder if the person in question thought two or three times before pressing 'send'.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 30, 2016, 10:02am; Reply: 59
It's not easy keeping all parties happy. In my time at the Fishy I have had, at various times, demands from managers, players, players wives, directors, police officers, various club employees, solicitors, photographers and numerous fans of different persuasions. Those are the ones I can remember. All these people have rung me up out of the blue, usually at unexpected times, with their demands. At the moment I am on holiday and had to deal with one of these unexpected requests in far from ideal circumstances. You don't always make the right calls in these situations.
Posted by: supertown, May 30, 2016, 10:09am; Reply: 60
You would think these businessmen would realise that by making this request they are making the issue much bigger than it would have been if it had been ignored
Posted by: Mariners_15, May 30, 2016, 10:25am; Reply: 61
Most of what I think has already been said on here, morally wrong, but what's the trust view on this?

Do they have any input?

At the end of the day £2500 is not a huge load of money to a football league club, and he's not a major sponsor at all. It's clear 90% of the fans are against what this guy is about and so should give him a call asap and politely thank him for his donation last summer but refund it and tell him to sling his hook.
Posted by: rancido, May 30, 2016, 10:43am; Reply: 62
Quoted from 75
Personally, I'm a huge Radiohead fan, never been able to see them and it's one of my remaining targets in life. I've missed out on countless f5's as clearly I didn't have the clever coding and the algorithms etc, certainly couldn't do the £700 for the Roundhouse though I did pay £80 for Richard Ashcroft tickets at the Roundhouse (£35 tickets)  the day after we won at Wembley via Getmein. So indirectly, I suppose I have * 'sponsored' the club. excrement happens, clever people do better than me, dunno what I think of it.

It is as unsavoury as Wonga but clearly legal. I've had issues with this site for a long time now, the puppet of 'the board', the issues with Jake Olley's SWWF, the Radio Humberside debacle, the Compass FM shite, the symbiotic relationship with the Leicester based Telewag. I was invited back after buggering off for some time by Rob (to be fair to him) but I've never been comfortable with the 'independent' nature of the site since it was shut down by John Fenty and re-appeared gagged in my opinion. It doesn't sit comfortable with me and I haven't ever posted like I used to. It isn't naivety, I agreed a while ago to 'think' before I post and I've tried to stick with that but this is a moderated site, and it is not moderated by the site owner, well maybe he thinks so............

* BPV only insinuates he may have sponsored the club indirectly if the WWE chap has acquired my cash via being generally cleverer than me and my f5.

Wasn't the original Fishy shut down because of threatened legal proceedings by JF over some libellous remarks ? If so then that is not a case of gagging just for the sake of not wanting to read unwelcome remarks but a case of reading something that is not true. Whilst I agree that posters have the right to express opinions , they certainly don't have the right to state lies but present them as facts.
Posted by: Chrisblor, May 30, 2016, 11:00am; Reply: 63
Quoted from Ipswin

This - its disappearance is a disaster and in a promotion season too. Come on guys, if you are monitoring this shitesite please restart GO asap.

http://grimoutlook.boards.net/
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 30, 2016, 11:42am; Reply: 64
Quoted from GrimRob

Rob, not your fault this I fully appreciate that you are caught between a "rock and a hard place" on here some times.

Some things the club may find worth clarifying,

1 Is the "major sponsor" Andrew Newman (this may have been done already).

2. Are they a "sponsor" or a "donator" I don't see his adverts at the side of the pitch etc.. etc....

3. If they are a "sponsor" then when the accounts are published we will surely see the size of their support.

4. How much do you need to throw in to be considered a "sponsor" rather than a donator.

5 If this person/organisation are sponsors they are required to have a written agreement with the club, is one in place? Those who "donate" don't need this of course,

Additionally..........

I go to most games home and away but there are a number of fans who go to every game which over a season will cost in excess of £1K possibly nearer £2k where is there right to sensor what someone says about them on a message board? Actually they don't need to as none of them are publicity seeking computer nerds who make loads of money short term from spotting loop wholes rather than building businesses.

Mr Newman's business may at this point in time not be illegal and it could be argued that the Promoters of such events should od more to  stop touting but do the club really want to be associated with someone who operates in such a manner?  

Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 30, 2016, 11:47am; Reply: 65
Quoted from grimps
Supply and demand !

Really?

When was the last time you saw something advertised at a retail price in Tesco and when you went to buy it they added 100%+ on the price?

Posted by: grimps, May 30, 2016, 12:33pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Really?

When was the last time you saw something advertised at a retail price in Tesco and when you went to buy it they added 100%+ on the price?

You think we get stock from Tesco at the price it was originally produced ? If Tesco bought up all the stock of anything they could then proceed to sell them at any price they wished.
A football/concert ticket is just another commodity , and this lad is smart enough to realise that and make a fortune from it.
Fair play to him
Posted by: davmariner, May 30, 2016, 12:49pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from grimps

You think we get stock from Tesco at the price it was originally produced ? If Tesco bought up all the stock of anything they could then proceed to sell them at any price they wished.
A football/concert ticket is just another commodity , and this lad is smart enough to realise that and make a fortune from it.
Fair play to him

A 'fortune' that prices ordinary people out of going to see their favourite popstar or band. Brilliant, lets have a society where only rich people are entitled to 'commodities'...
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, May 30, 2016, 12:43pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from grimps

Fair play to him

I'm undecided on the issue. I wouldn't complain if touting was made illegal as it doesn't "feel right". But it's really hard to make a solid argument as to why entertainment tickets should be protected from the supply & demand economics of virtually every other product or service. He's not exactly monopolising the water or energy supplies.
Posted by: grimps, May 30, 2016, 12:50pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from davmariner

A 'fortune' that prices ordinary people out of going to see their favourite popstar or band. Brilliant, lets have a society where only rich people are entitled to 'commodities'...

So what society do we have now ?
People buying up housing stock ?
companies buying up Steel works and breaking them up and selling off the profitable parts of the business?

Just about every other commodity is bought in bulk and sold off at profit , the only problem this guy has is he's one of us , he wasn't born into the 1% yet he might do one day if he keeps coming up with good business ideas.
Are we all supposed to stay in our place ? There are enough glass ceilings in this country without being held back by your own.
Posted by: Ipswin, May 30, 2016, 1:01pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from Chrisblor

Fantastic many thanks for that link - great news

Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 30, 2016, 1:18pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from grimps

Fair play to him

To answer "You think we get stock from Tesco at the price it was originally produced ?" no I don't and I am not daft enough not to think that on some lines (usually non grocery) they make very large mark ups which are then eaten into by costs to some degree. Though I don't anymore I have spent most of my career in retail so I know how it works.    

When you buy a "commodity" from Tesco it has not already been advertised to the General Public at a fixed price before Tesco bought it to sell to you, there in lies the issue.

Also usually if a Super Market buys up  all of a commodity in a market place it will sell it at a reasonable price to drive footfall into the stores rather than inflating the price and risk being left with it sat on the shelves or becoming waste if it has a date code attached to it.  

I have absolutely no problem with people making money and removing "glass ceilings" in society but I do have a problem with free speech being removed by people who really should know better.  
Posted by: BeijingMariner, May 30, 2016, 2:17pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from grimps

So what society do we have now ?
People buying up housing stock ?
companies buying up Steel works and breaking them up and selling off the profitable parts of the business?

Just about every other commodity is bought in bulk and sold off at profit , the only problem this guy has is he's one of us , he wasn't born into the 1% yet he might do one day if he keeps coming up with good business ideas.
Are we all supposed to stay in our place ? There are enough glass ceilings in this country without being held back by your own.

It sounds for all the world like you think this is a class issue, but that is tosh. This is a character issue. This man has a shady character, he is a chancer, doesn't care who he rips off or disappoints (more to the point) by taking the tickets out of the reach of the ordinary punter even more than they were at the original price. Not only is this not a class issue, this man clearly has no class.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 30, 2016, 6:02pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from GrimRob
It's not easy keeping all parties happy. In my time at the Fishy I have had, at various times, demands from managers, players, players wives, directors, police officers, various club employees, solicitors, photographers and numerous fans of different persuasions. Those are the ones I can remember. All these people have rung me up out of the blue, usually at unexpected times, with their demands. At the moment I am on holiday and had to deal with one of these unexpected requests in far from ideal circumstances. You don't always make the right calls in these situations.

Rob, sorry if I was a bit harsh with you (obviously didn't think 2 or 3 times before I pressed send. I appreciate you are in a difficult position. Much respect to you for your final sentence.

Have a great holiday.

(be nice to hear the facts about the request you got from the club though  :) )
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 30, 2016, 6:09pm; Reply: 74
Rather you than me Rob must be like now wtf has happened,
Posted by: Jaws, May 30, 2016, 6:11pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from grimps

Fair play to him

If I went to Tesco, bought everything then sold it to you for 10x the price you'd be annoyed.....

Some of the people defending him have moaned about playoff final prices at £44, imagine if we were capable of filling Wembley and he was flogging them at £100 a pop. Whilst he does sell tickets, he'll often not sell them and as a result a genuine fan doesn't go when there are empty seats. Happens a bit at premiership clubs actually.
Posted by: mimma, May 30, 2016, 7:40pm; Reply: 76
First of all I would like to apologise to Grim Rob & the Fishy for suggesting that I would assault Mr. Newman if I were to sit next to him at Blundell Park. I was speaking out of annoyance after been held to ransom by Newman & Ticketmaster over a Christmas present for my son, to go to watch Muse. I actually wouldn't take such action in any case,, been old, over weight, & too short to attempt it.
I will not however, apologise for calling him a parasite, simply because that is exactly what he is. I paid £209 for two £45 tickets. This means that they are making more money/ticket than the bands, & the venue put together. They have cleaned up tickets for Adel & Radiohead, then reselling them for THOUSANDS of pounds each using clever software to buy up tickets before fans get a chance.
This government must take some of the blame with their "market forces" approach when dealing with this problem. They talk the talk, but do nothing to protect the consumer.
There is a petition on the .GOV website calling for action. I currently stands at 42,000 signatures. If it gets 100,000 it will trigger a debate in Parliament.
Could I therefore ask that if you , like me, have strong views on this whole subject, please, please sign the petition.
Once again, I am sorry for the problems that my original post have caused you Rob. I should have thought about what I was posting.

UTM

MIMMA
Posted by: RichMariner, May 30, 2016, 10:25pm; Reply: 77
This whole episode is just very, very odd.

What did GTFC expect to happen by asking the comments to be removed?

The conversation's also happening over on Twitter. Are they going to try and sensor that too? Good luck to them.

In my view, by asking the Fishy to remove comments made by fans regarding the morality and practice of Mr Newman, it's in effect supporting the practice of ticket touts.

And I'm not comfortable with that in the slightest.

There are people at the club who clearly think they can control what we say. They can't. All they're doing, by issuing this gagging order, is stirring the conversation into a bigger deal than it originally was.

Nice one. Way to go.

Two weeks on from winning promotion back to the Football League and we've had our major shareholder make some unrepresentative remarks about League 3, and now this.

If they're trying to destroy the positive vibes from Wembley, then they're doing a damn good job.

I absolutely love my football club but sometimes I want to walk into the offices there and shake the silliness out of them. They make such elementary mistakes and it frustrates the hell out of me.

Can one of them just invest a bit of money into someone who can advise them on matters such as this. A good PR professional could've told them to just leave this one as the discussion was dying a death anyway.

If we had a motto underneath our badge it'd probably say 'Speak Now, Think Later'.

No wonder we got relegated to non-league. This lack of thought and anticipation of the future is what got us into the almighty mess we've been experiencing for the last 14 years.
Posted by: Jaws, May 30, 2016, 10:19pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from mimma
First of all I would like to apologise to Grim Rob & the Fishy for suggesting that I would assault Mr. Newman if I were to sit next to him at Blundell Park. I was speaking out of annoyance after been held to ransom by Newman & Ticketmaster over a Christmas present for my son, to go to watch Muse. I actually wouldn't take such action in any case,, been old, over weight, & too short to attempt it.
I will not however, apologise for calling him a parasite, simply because that is exactly what he is. I paid £209 for two £45 tickets. This means that they are making more money/ticket than the bands, & the venue put together. They have cleaned up tickets for Adel & Radiohead, then reselling them for THOUSANDS of pounds each using clever software to buy up tickets before fans get a chance.
This government must take some of the blame with their "market forces" approach when dealing with this problem. They talk the talk, but do nothing to protect the consumer.
There is a petition on the .GOV website calling for action. I currently stands at 42,000 signatures. If it gets 100,000 it will trigger a debate in Parliament.
Could I therefore ask that if you , like me, have strong views on this whole subject, please, please sign the petition.
Once again, I am sorry for the problems that my original post have caused you Rob. I should have thought about what I was posting.

UTM

MIMMA

To be fair, you'd have to get him to BP first!!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 30, 2016, 11:36pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from RichMariner
This whole episode is just very, very odd.

What did GTFC expect to happen by asking the comments to be removed?

The conversation's also happening over on Twitter. Are they going to try and sensor that too? Good luck to them.

In my view, by asking the Fishy to remove comments made by fans regarding the morality and practice of Mr Newman, it's in effect supporting the practice of ticket touts.

And I'm not comfortable with that in the slightest.

There are people at the club who clearly think they can control what we say. They can't. All they're doing, by issuing this gagging order, is stirring the conversation into a bigger deal than it originally was.

Nice one. Way to go.

Two weeks on from winning promotion back to the Football League and we've had our major shareholder make some unrepresentative remarks about League 3, and now this.

If they're trying to destroy the positive vibes from Wembley, then they're doing a damn good job.

I absolutely love my football club but sometimes I want to walk into the offices there and shake the silliness out of them. They make such elementary mistakes and it frustrates the hell out of me.

Can one of them just invest a bit of money into someone who can advise them on matters such as this. A good PR professional could've told them to just leave this one as the discussion was dying a death anyway.

If we had a motto underneath our badge it'd probably say 'Speak Now, Think Later'.

No wonder we got relegated to non-league. This lack of thought and anticipation of the future is what got us into the almighty mess we've been experiencing for the last 14 years.

Whoever it was decided to make this request at the club has just shot themselves in the foot. An issue that would have fizzled out has just been given legs and has caused a bit more of a rift between sections of the supporter base and 'the club'.

If this club represents its supporters in any way, then it makes sense for those supporters to debate what values they think are important. If it doesn't represent us in some way then I wonder what we're all doing.

Personally, I'm sick of hearing about tickets being sold out within minutes of them being available on the official website, only for them to appear at inflated prices on some third-party website very shortly afterwards. Personally I wouldn't buy them. These middlemen are not providing a service to either the public or the seller - it's not like Tescos sourcing products from across the globe and breaking bulk to re-sell to customers. In the age of the internet, these middlemen serve no function. Do we want money made this way?

If, for example, there are discussions going on in the background about a middleman investing more in the club, and someone is worried about him getting spooked by comments on here and taking his bat home then maybe he isn't the sponsor for us. If he's got nowt to be ashamed of then it shouldn't be a concern. Maybe there isn't a good match in 'brand values'.

I'd love to know what the Trust reps on the board think about this.
Posted by: Davec, May 31, 2016, 7:18am; Reply: 80
Can't the trust do something about the shocking PR from the club, can't they stop the club from treating the fans with contempt instead of just sitting back doing nothing, this is why I would never join the trust, yes they came up with Operation Promotion and I'm grateful for that but things like this happen and nothing happens, like nothing happened about Fenty's rant

This will be a view with what many disagree with I know.
Posted by: jaymariner, May 31, 2016, 7:42am; Reply: 81
Not everyone is going to like the practice and/or product of many of our sponsors but that's no reason for the club to stop a simple debate on an independent website about it. I absolutely hate Youngs admiral pie but I don't expect the club to stop me saying that
Posted by: ginnywings, May 31, 2016, 9:43am; Reply: 82
Quoted from grimps
Supply and demand !

If you don't like the way Tesco operate, you can go elsewhere. If you want a ticket for a "sold out" gig, you pay well over the top or you don't go, so clearly your comparison is balderdash. I also suggest you go and look up the word jealous in a dictionary and if it means disgusted, then yeah, you're right.

Yours Truly.

A Nobody.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 31, 2016, 12:34pm; Reply: 83
Grimps, supermarkets perform a valuable role in the supply chain from producer to consumer. Without them you'd be having to trek thousands of miles to find all those foods you've become used to. You'd also pay a heck of a lot more for it because supermarkets buy in bulk and pass on some of the discounts to you.

I can't see what function ticket operations like the one we're discussing performs. 'Producers' (the event organisers or their agents) sell tickets on-line. It's not like you'd have to trek to Indonesia to get them and buy them by the hundred to get your hands on them.
Posted by: acko338, May 31, 2016, 1:12pm; Reply: 84
Supermarkets also have a cartel on "straight" carrots, unblemished vegetables and out of size bananas just a mention a few examples.

A regional turnip farm recently showed a news item as they had to throw away over £45,000 worth of good to eat but misshapen turnips as they didn't conform to the "big three" size and shape requirements (contract didn't allow for free distribution or give aways to anywhere else like food banks as it stops shoppers buying the perfect stuff) and he then went out of business over another similar wasteful operation - over 70 people put out of work.

Now THAT is immoral !!!!
Posted by: forza ivano, May 31, 2016, 1:27pm; Reply: 85
Very interesting moral/ethical/philosophical dilemma here .
firstly the club and then Rob (in the latters case understandably but unfortunately) have massively over reacted.
it's a good job they're not in government as we'd see papers closed down for discussing the rights and wrongs of john Whittingdale's position!

when does a donation become a sponsorship? for example do we welcome the financial input of an ex criminal who's gone straight and sponsors  a match ball and hires out a box? if a pay day loan company hires out a box for the season do we stop them from doing so? do people who may have made large contributions towrds the youth team become sponsors? are they then to be 'protected' from any criticism should they have a dubious background or business dealings?

if Newman is negotiating a proper sponsorship deal should the club accept his money? would they have accepted it last season from a company which made legal highs, which at the time was perfectly legal?
what if it was a payday loan company ? or a bank? or a tobacco company? or a company with a dubious environmental approach? what if it was a fashion company who's overseas working practices had been called into question?

the whole thing is a moralistic minefield, but just goes to prove that the club could really do with a bit of professional P.R. input
Posted by: horsforthmariner, May 31, 2016, 1:29pm; Reply: 86
I have no problem with Rob removing the thread as it's clearly not worth the stress.

I do wonder however if the individual involved in the original discussion will be happy with the outcome of the attempt at censorship - i.e a bigger thread with many more views.
Posted by: Dan, May 31, 2016, 1:23pm; Reply: 87
There is no way to make money without being involved in something unethical at some point. That's capitalism.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 31, 2016, 1:32pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from acko338
Supermarkets also have a cartel on "straight" carrots, unblemished vegetables and out of size bananas just a mention a few examples.

A regional turnip farm recently showed a news item as they had to throw away over £45,000 worth of good to eat but misshapen turnips as they didn't conform to the "big three" size and shape requirements
(contract didn't allow for free distribution or give aways to anywhere else like food banks as it stops shoppers buying the perfect stuff) and he then went out of business over another similar wasteful operation - over 70 people put out of work.

Now THAT is immoral !!!!

IF I worked for the farm and I was throwing away good food because it was mis-shapen then surely the question should be asked if not any use for the supermarkets ...what's the alternative?

Diversify in to making soup?  

Adding the turnips in to stew packs?

Slicing it in to regular sizes for people who can't be @arsed ( such as happens with green beans and carrots)

If what you describe is true and I've no reason to disbelieve you, then I would argue not only is it immoral on the part of the supermarkets but it's also totally illogical on the part of the farm
Posted by: ginnywings, May 31, 2016, 1:46pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from Dan
There is no way to make money without being involved in something unethical at some point. That's capitalism.

Bullcrap. I earn my living as a self employed joiner. I give you a fair price for a fair days work and if you think it is unacceptable, then you hire someone else. I swap my skill and knowledge for cash. What is unethical about it?
Posted by: Rik e B, May 31, 2016, 2:22pm; Reply: 90
Tradesmen never do cash in hand?  ;)
Posted by: Rik e B, May 31, 2016, 2:24pm; Reply: 91
Have I missed something didn't this guy chip in to Operation Promotion and as such never directly dealt with club?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 31, 2016, 2:40pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from Dan

I've read some shite on here in my time but that just about scrapes the bottom of the barrel.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 31, 2016, 2:39pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from Rik e B
Tradesmen never do cash in hand?  ;)

I don't, others may but that's their choice.
Posted by: Jaws, May 31, 2016, 3:03pm; Reply: 94
I know I've contributed to both threads but it seems as if this is just a rehash of the original thread and now appears to be pointless deleting the original.

You can take away our thread but you can never take away our freedom... of speech.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 31, 2016, 4:04pm; Reply: 95
I've just read the Tellywag article through again and, as others have said, is there something to this we don't know about because it reads to me that all he did was to contribute to OP - nothing more. Now, whilst I don't agree with what he does, nobody asked me (nor would I tell them) where I got my money from to put into OP.

(Have copied the link if anyone didn't read it)

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Grimsby-Town-Operation-Promotion-donor-Scotland-s/story-29331855-detail/story.html
Print page generated: May 5, 2024, 10:05am