Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Vote of Confidence
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 5 Guests

Do the supporters still back the Manager?
  View Results 0 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Vote of Confidence

This thread currently has 36,300 views. Print
18 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
November 3, 2015, 6:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
I did say that there was a narrative behind the stats. People are sharing their views, all of which are compelling. It seems that what a lot of 'in' voters are describing can broadly be defined as 'faith', the definition of which is essentially 'a belief held without scientific or factual evidence'. All Town fans live on this of course, but to a certain extent, faith is often blind. How fantastic would it be to actually see some evidence and indication that this faith was likely to be rewarded. That these hopes were well founded? With these players we should be seeing the evidence and the credentials stack up. I don't think we are.

Remember pre-season, how excited everyone was about 'operation promotion', and then the credentials and the evidence largely failed to materialise, and the excitement started to dissipate? Blind faith is the residue.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 171
barralad
November 3, 2015, 6:13pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from chaos33
I did say that there was a narrative behind the stats. People are sharing their views, all of which are compelling. It seems that what a lot of 'in' voters are describing can broadly be defined as 'faith', the definition of which is essentially 'a belief held without scientific or factual evidence'. All Town fans live on this of course, but to a certain extent, faith is often blind. How fantastic would it be to actually see some evidence and indication that this faith was likely to be rewarded. That these hopes were well founded? With these players we should be seeing the evidence and the credentials stack up. I don't think we are.

Remember pre-season, how excited everyone was about 'operation promotion', and then the credentials and the evidence largely failed to materialise, and the excitement started to dissipate? Blind faith is the residue.

Can't argue with that

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 171
Rodley Mariner
November 3, 2015, 6:18pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from chaos33

I guess the only factual thing that can be pointed to is that we have improved season by season in league position and play-off performance. For me, the point at which that won't be the case again - so when we can't reach the play offs or when we fail in them again is the time to make a change.

I still think the depth of our squad could tell post Christmas and I really think we're fine margins away but like you say that's more faith than fact.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 171
chaos33
November 3, 2015, 6:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Good points RM.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 171
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 3, 2015, 6:32pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I guess the only factual thing that can be pointed to is that we have improved season by season in league position and play-off performance. For me, the point at which that won't be the case again - so when we can't reach the play offs or when we fail in them again is the time to make a change.

I still think the depth of our squad could tell post Christmas and I really think we're fine margins away but like you say that's more faith than fact.

I agree with the last bit Rodley, it is fine margins. Very often it's that bit of inspirational management that makes all the difference.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 171
ackomariner
November 3, 2015, 6:40pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Been a good thread this one has. Honest opinions from both sides, poll very close, still going on since the game last Friday, but the saddest thing to come from this is that the fans are well and truly split over Hurst.....and that's not a good thing for any club IMO  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 171
Rodley Mariner
November 3, 2015, 6:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177

I agree with the last bit Rodley, it is fine margins. Very often it's that bit of inspirational management that makes all the difference.

Or a player making the right decision or a refereeing decision or a bit of luck.......

The players seem to be getting little or no criticism for us not being where we all hoped or expected to be. I reckon individual mistakes have cost us 6 or 7 points this season. If it wasn't for those we wouldn't be having these discussions but they happened and we are. If we were top of the league it wouldn't all be down to the manager and us being in ninth isn't solely down to him either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 171
MuddyWaters
November 3, 2015, 6:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,261
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ackomariner
Been a good thread this one has. Honest opinions from both sides, poll very close, still going on since the game last Friday, but the saddest thing to come from this is that the fans are well and truly split over Hurst.....and that's not a good thing for any club IMO  

I don't think that's quite right Acko.

I think this thread has highlighted various frustrations which nearly all of us share regarding the manager, it's just to what degree you deem them to be worthy of his sacking. Some are prepared to continue to tolerate, some aren't but most if not all see midfield as a weakness and also PH's tactics and unwillingness to use early subs.

Private Message
Reply: 127 - 171
promotion plaice
November 3, 2015, 6:55pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,080
Gold Stars: 199

Why make it complicated with all these scenarios. It's simple, takes us up this season then Hurst is a hero and stays on, anything less and he's history. Obviously if promotion is out of reach before the play-offs then move on as fast as possible to get the upper hand against rivals.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 171
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 3, 2015, 7:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Or a player making the right decision or a refereeing decision or a bit of luck.......

The players seem to be getting little or no criticism for us not being where we all hoped or expected to be. I reckon individual mistakes have cost us 6 or 7 points this season. If it wasn't for those we wouldn't be having these discussions but they happened and we are. If we were top of the league it wouldn't all be down to the manager and us being in ninth isn't solely down to him either.

Of course the individual performances of players make a difference. A GK slip up can cost points, a penalty miss can cost points. But those are not what people are concerned about are they? All teams have those issues from time to time. How management reacts to them matters. One of the criticisms of Hurst for instance is that he is poor at substitutions and lacking in tactical nous before and during games. Ending up with 3 full backs on the park and 2 wingers on the bench in a game you are losing doesn't fill supporters with confidence. The players do seem to play for him but he does not seem able to get the most out of individuals consistently or tweak his tactics to get the most out of the team consistently.

But like you say, we just have to wait and see. Trouble is, even standing still still costs!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 171
18 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Vote of Confidence

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.