Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell In Or out ?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Should he go ?
In
Out
Give him 2 more games
'Trust the process'  regardless of this season
Busted flush /David Brent
  View Results 268 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Artell In Or out ?

This thread currently has 8,639 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Norseman
February 11, 2024, 11:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Adkins wasn’t available he was already working at Tranmere. Not sure how you can say that about Cotterell who’s turned us down at least one in the past, though it was a long time ago.

He was available in the time it took to sack Hurst and put artell in place .Cotterell don't know why he turned us down .It could be money .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 124
FrazerGTFC
February 11, 2024, 11:49pm

Grimsby fan
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -234
Gold Stars: 1
I think we need stability and artell won’t change his ways and is forcing his stupid pep football with a team of clueless players

When we beat Morecambe 3-2 it was a brilliant game we dominated and shouldn’t of conceded 2 goals and easily could of scored more I thought glennon was going to be a brilliant star for us  , the atsmophere was electric and the Osmond was rocking , as a younger fan this was up their with the top 10 games in my years supporting , we played some brilliant counter attacking football and got bums of their seat, going to the recent games at home the atsmophere is like a morgue artell supposedly entertaining football is dire to watch , the Tranmere Game was one of the few times I was looking forward to go home before the end of a game

I think on paper this was a great appointment which I thought it would be , but he’s stubborn and wants to play this stupid football that even prem teams make big mistakes with

Shaun and Bens football got us results and stability and they would keep us in the football league  they knew are strengths , as I said earlier in another thread , the cowleys was the obvious appointment and we should of tried our best to get him

Never be positive about town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 124
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 11:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Norseman

He was available in the time it took to sack Hurst and put artell in place .Cotterell don't know why he turned us down .It could be money .

Was he? Confirm this.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 124
Nelly GTFC
February 11, 2024, 11:51pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,746
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Norseman
Looks more of a location thing to me, originally from Gloucestershire, he's not had to travel as far as Grimsby before put it that way.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 124
February 12, 2024, 4:57am
Guest User
So, by merging the overlapping poll options we have (as I write):

IN 40.84%      (In + 'Trust the Process')

OUT 35.08%   (Out + Busted Flush)

UNDECIDED 24.08%  (Give him 2 more games)

Pretty even - though the undecided are at least leaning towards the out "camp".

Can I make a plea to all posters to remember that - however strongly you may feel (either way) - there are plenty who think
differently. Heated exchanges on the forum won't matter - it's an issue for the owners to decide.

In the end we all want the same thing.

UTM
Reply: 84 - 124
Mayaman
February 12, 2024, 5:37am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I didn’t see it personally as I was too busy in the Upper having my own rant but word in the street is that Artell’s man management of Cartwright didn’t really fit with the current club culture

And Cartwright had no choice.  His options for playing out of the back were not on, so he lumped it. Not much else he could have done really.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 124
somersetmariner
February 12, 2024, 9:16am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4
like brexit !

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 124
Mappers
February 12, 2024, 9:22am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.42
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,311
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from 137
So, by merging the overlapping poll options we have (as I write):

IN 40.84%      (In + 'Trust the Process')

OUT 35.08%   (Out + Busted Flush)

UNDECIDED 24.08%  (Give him 2 more games)

Pretty even - though the undecided are at least leaning towards the out "camp".

Can I make a plea to all posters to remember that - however strongly you may feel (either way) - there are plenty who think
differently. Heated exchanges on the forum won't matter - it's an issue for the owners to decide.

In the end we all want the same thing.

UTM

Another poll after the next 2 games - I would suggest the balance will swing one way or the other dependant on how it goes .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 124
February 12, 2024, 9:34am
Guest User
Quoted from FrazerGTFC
I think we need stability and artell won’t change his ways and is forcing his stupid pep football with a team of clueless players

When we beat Morecambe 3-2 it was a brilliant game we dominated and shouldn’t of conceded 2 goals and easily could of scored more I thought glennon was going to be a brilliant star for us  , the atsmophere was electric and the Osmond was rocking , as a younger fan this was up their with the top 10 games in my years supporting , we played some brilliant counter attacking football and got bums of their seat, going to the recent games at home the atsmophere is like a morgue artell supposedly entertaining football is dire to watch , the Tranmere Game was one of the few times I was looking forward to go home before the end of a game

I think on paper this was a great appointment which I thought it would be , but he’s stubborn and wants to play this stupid football that even prem teams make big mistakes with

Shaun and Bens football got us results and stability and they would keep us in the football league they knew are strengths , as I said earlier in another thread , the cowleys was the obvious appointment and we should of tried our best to get him

That is supposition, you can't possibly know that and state it as a fact.  Also two of those results were against a part time lower league side who we were lucky to draw with in the first game.  And Shaun and Ben were part of the backroom staff when PH was sacked and Shaun is Assistant Manager and Ben a Coach under DA, so they are part of this, as you put it, 'stupid football' that DA is trying to implement here.  And you want these two inexperienced 'managers' to take over the team!  No thanks.

Reply: 88 - 124
Poojah
February 12, 2024, 10:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,533
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from 123614

That is supposition, you can't possibly know that and state it as a fact.  Also two of those results were against a part time lower league side who we were lucky to draw with in the first game.  And Shaun and Ben were part of the backroom staff when PH was sacked and Shaun is Assistant Manager and Ben a Coach under DA, so they are part of this, as you put it, 'stupid football' that DA is trying to implement here.  And you want these two inexperienced 'managers' to take over the team!  No thanks.

There are three basic options open to us now and in the coming weeks. One; we stick with Artell. Two; we sack Artell and install Pearson and Davies until the end of the season. And three; we sack Artell and make an external appointment. I see risk in every option.

Artell appears steadfast in the method and style he wants to play with, despite the fact that it patently isn’t working and sides appear to have completely worked us out. The players, once again, look absolutely zapped of confidence and the body language on the pitch and in the dugout was concerning on Saturday. To turn things around, Artell needs to either change tact entirely, or find a way to make his methods work pronto. I don’t have much faith that either will happen, after Saturday.

Person and Davies certainly did bring a sense of stability and sensibility to proceedings, and with 5 points from 3 games have comfortably the best PPG record of any of the 3 management setups we’ve had this season. That’s play-off form incidentally, but it’s a small sample size, and it would be dangerous to take that as a microcosm of what they might be able to replicate between now and the end of the season.

Any external option, by definition, is likely someone we deemed less qualified than Artell as recently as November, or who has a fresh sacking on their CV inside the last 3 months. Realistically, you don’t have the luxury of another month to make an appointment this time around, unless you consider option 2 a good one, in which case you surely just do that anyway. Ultimately, it’s likely we’d simply have to go for our 2nd or 3rd choice from last time round, and that’s if they still want it. It’s not a scenario I find particularly mouth watering, to say the least.

Ultimately, there are a broad spectrum of views being expressed on here ranging from “Artell has to go now” to “stick with him - he’s the man”. I have my own opinion, but I recognise that whatever your stance, it will take the fullness of time to establish what the correct course of action might have been.

My position is that Artell should get the next two games, provided things aren’t completely batshít behind the scenes, but he has to return with an absolute minimum of 2 points, and neither performance should be a disgrace. Those are not lofty ambitions, and if Artell is indeed “the man”, he should be capable of delivering at least that against Colchester and Donny teams whose points totals suggest are not demonstrably better than us.

If he fails, I can see no argument to retain his services. In that case, I think the best option is to revert back to a Pearson / Davies combo indefinitely, and keep our powder dry on another third-party option in the event they cannot repeat their previous success.

I’ve done a lot of thinking on this in the past 24 hours, and that seems to me at least to be the most cogent short-term plan. Others may see things differently.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 124
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell In Or out ?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.