Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell In Or out ?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Should he go ?
In
Out
Give him 2 more games
'Trust the process'  regardless of this season
Busted flush /David Brent
  View Results 268 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Artell In Or out ?

This thread currently has 8,637 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 12, 2024, 12:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79

I think it is inconceivable the owners will sack him, whatever happens.

They have decided the way to go, Artell was their number one choice to deliver a whole new philosophy running through the club in an attempt to get an identity and move up the leagues by top coaching and nurturing talent to sell on.

I remember in the early days of Buckley getting beaten 4 nil at home with the crowd baying for blood.

If it really went belly up and we got relegated I still think they would stick with this plan even if Artell left.

Interesting point re nurturing talent as, other than Conteh, it’s hard to see which of the other players recruited fit this spec? From our initial signings, following the return to the EFL, is arguable that both Glennon and Hunt fitted this approach but now neither can even get in the side. Nor can Khouri and non of the lads kept on from the Academy look like they’re going to make it.

Pretty difficult to actually identify what our recruitment policy is other than taking on players not good enough!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 124
lew chaterleys lover
February 12, 2024, 12:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,713
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Interesting point re nurturing talent as, other than Conteh, it’s hard to see which of the other players recruited fit this spec? From our initial signings, following the return to the EFL, is arguable that both Glennon and Hunt fitted this approach but now neither can even get in the side. Nor can Khouri and non of the lads kept on from the Academy look like they’re going to make it.

Pretty difficult to actually identify what our recruitment policy is other than taking on players not good enough!!!

Indeed. Having a policy and implementing successfully are two different things!

At least they have a plan with someone who wholeheartedly supports it and they will give him the time it needs.

Of course budget has a lot to do with it; if your top 10 choices get better offers elsewhere it doesn't matter what the plan is which is why I am disappointed they have thus far been unable to bring new money into the club to give us a kick start as let's face it - it will take quite a few years for the plan to bear fruit.
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 124
lew chaterleys lover
February 12, 2024, 12:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,713
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Poojah

I’m not sure about that. The atmosphere towards the end of the Donny away game was bordering on toxic, and that was for a bloke who had delivered some of the best times in recent memory for this football club.

If, and this remains a big if at this stage, we lose the next two games, the atmosphere against Doncaster will, again, be one of absolutely untenable proportions. Remember, last time we went down fans weren’t in the ground; there is a lot of pent up anger there that never got properly vented.

If the owners were to persist with Artell beyond that point, that anger will, rightly or wrongly, inevitably turn towards them. I would argue “wrongly”, but it is inevitable all the same. Town fans have seen this kind of shít before, they’ve got the fúcking t-shirt - they will not stand idly and meekly by while we sleepwalk through the trapdoor once more.

Win tomorrow night and the whole narrative changes, but there’s no way Artell can lose the next two games and expect to be in the dugout at Morecambe.

Well we haven't got long to wait to find out which is a blessing of sorts!
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 124
quebec38
February 12, 2024, 1:23pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,575
Gold Stars: 48
I am still Artell in so long as the owners think/know that the players still believe in him and their relationship is still in tact. I don’t think it would do us any good swapping again now. I do still believe we will stay up although not convincingly.

I don’t really enjoy the new style of play. I was in favour of Hurst moving on and I hoped we would appoint a manager who could bring some new ideas regarding attacking cohesion. I appreciate Artell is trying to do that, but for me it’s in the wrong areas and right now it’s chaotic. I think the calls for more pragmatism right now are bang on.

For me our big weakness is the midfield. I know we can’t defend but firstly I think we are causing our own problems there with the style we are now playing, and secondly I think the midfield leave them exposed. I’ve lost count of the number of times we have seen teams run straight through the middle of us this season, leaving Maher and Rodgers as sitting ducks. Like I said, they haven’t covered themselves in glory but they aren’t getting the protection they need either.

Every central midfielder we have has something good about them. Harry doesn’t stop running, Green gets stuck in, Andrews presses high up the pitch… but that’s about it. We don’t have any solid all-rounders. Holohan would be our nearest but he’s inconsistent. There is no combination of three you can put together that convince you we are going to win the midfield that day, which just leaves us with a huge hole in the middle of the pitch.

I’ll end there since I’m rambling. In short; I think we’ll be ok (just) let him overhaul the squad completely in the summer and I think we’ll be much better next year.
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 124
mariner91
February 12, 2024, 2:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,648
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from 137

The thing is, recent history says we are a non-league/L2 yo-yo team.

This doesn't sit well with me either, but it's the reality.

I've read many posts on here saying that we should be a mid-table L1 side.
This is based either on (i) our history - which is a bollox argument imo as history is all about the past; or
                                 (ii) our attendances - which is a better argument.
Fenty had plenty to do with us being where we are now - which is struggling to become an 'established' L2 team.

This isn't peculiar to GTFC though (off the top of my head):
Chesterfield
Aldershot
Oldham
Hartlepool
Rochdale
Barnet
Southend
York
Chester
Darlington
Scunthorpe  
Torquay
were L2 clubs in the fairly recent past, but are now wallowing down the pyramid.

So it would be a decent achievement if we could just be competitive in League 2 for a few seasons.
Only then could we sensibly talk about L1 (I think we'll need a new ground/larger capacity to do that. So not in my lifetime!)

Having said all that (i) how can you be so sure Shaun and Ben wouldn't be a wonderful management duo?
                            (ii) can you give me 1 or 2 plausible names who would show ambition? (Most L2 managers carry scars...)

Of that list only four; Chesterfield, Southend, Oldham and Hartlepool get even close to our level of support. The rest of them currently and historically get nowhere near it. With attendances of 6200 and the money from a once in a lifetime bit of football fortune we absolutely should not be scrabbling around in the bottom four of L2. How can we not afford to even have 11 players capable of doing the basics consistently? We must be one of the worst performing teams in the division when it comes to budget and performances. A lot of that blame lies with Hurst with some very poor recruitment and squad building but some of that lies with Artell for insisting on playing a style that the players aren't capable of and is chiseling away at their already very low confidence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 124
mariner91
February 12, 2024, 2:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,648
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from winghams

Key word for me.  Happy. Complete logic and common in Poojah's last two posts.
They aren't happy.  
Happy teams enjoy the game - and like playing the best way they can.
Happy teams scrap and fight for each other.
Blundell Park likes to see a fighting team.

I think this could be more pertinent than we realise. We know from his interviews that Artell's mannerisms, stubbornness and occasional arrogance rubs up a significant percentage of the fanbase. I can't imagine he's too different in training and his man-management of Cartwright at the weekend leaves a lot to be desired. If you're low on confidence and being asked to play in a way that's highly risky then you're probably not going to be particularly happy in your job particularly if you get publicly lambasted when you (understandably) deviate from that plan. The lack of togetherness and the horrendous body language from the entire team on Saturday suggests it's not a happy camp and if we lose both the next two games it'll only get worse. I'm not massively keen on Pearson and Davies being in charge but if we were to lose the next two then at least putting them in charge might raise the spirits of the players a bit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 124
DB
February 12, 2024, 2:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,001
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Poojah

There are three basic options open to us now and in the coming weeks. One; we stick with Artell. Two; we sack Artell and install Pearson and Davies until the end of the season. And three; we sack Artell and make an external appointment. I see risk in every option.

Artell appears steadfast in the method and style he wants to play with, despite the fact that it patently isn’t working and sides appear to have completely worked us out. The players, once again, look absolutely zapped of confidence and the body language on the pitch and in the dugout was concerning on Saturday. To turn things around, Artell needs to either change tact entirely, or find a way to make his methods work pronto. I don’t have much faith that either will happen, after Saturday.

Person and Davies certainly did bring a sense of stability and sensibility to proceedings, and with 5 points from 3 games have comfortably the best PPG record of any of the 3 management setups we’ve had this season. That’s play-off form incidentally, but it’s a small sample size, and it would be dangerous to take that as a microcosm of what they might be able to replicate between now and the end of the season.

Any external option, by definition, is likely someone we deemed less qualified than Artell as recently as November, or who has a fresh sacking on their CV inside the last 3 months. Realistically, you don’t have the luxury of another month to make an appointment this time around, unless you consider option 2 a good one, in which case you surely just do that anyway. Ultimately, it’s likely we’d simply have to go for our 2nd or 3rd choice from last time round, and that’s if they still want it. It’s not a scenario I find particularly mouth watering, to say the least.

Ultimately, there are a broad spectrum of views being expressed on here ranging from “Artell has to go now” to “stick with him - he’s the man”. I have my own opinion, but I recognise that whatever your stance, it will take the fullness of time to establish what the correct course of action might have been.

My position is that Artell should get the next two games, provided things aren’t completely batshít behind the scenes, but he has to return with an absolute minimum of 2 points, and neither performance should be a disgrace. Those are not lofty ambitions, and if Artell is indeed “the man”, he should be capable of delivering at least that against Colchester and Donny teams whose points totals suggest are not demonstrably better than us.

If he fails, I can see no argument to retain his services. In that case, I think the best option is to revert back to a Pearson / Davies combo indefinitely, and keep our powder dry on another third-party option in the event they cannot repeat their previous success.

I’ve done a lot of thinking on this in the past 24 hours, and that seems to me at least to be the most cogent short-term plan. Others may see things differently.

Logically and eloquently put as usual. I can't disagree with anything you have put, but wait and see is very stressful especially on the nerves.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 124
DB
February 12, 2024, 2:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,001
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from HertsGTFC

And unlike Artell who doesn't seem to get it they know the impact that relegation would have on the supporters as well as the club.

He does 'Get It'. Every bloody interview he tells us he gets it. The problem is he has done nothing about it.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 124
GrimRob
February 12, 2024, 4:26pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113

Well we haven't got long to wait to find out which is a blessing of sorts!

1 or 2 points and Sutton picking up 3 or more though would put us in purgatory territory. Not quite the sack but still in the danger zone. If we leave it too late we'll be in a Neil Woods situation where there is even a temptation to start next season with Artell and the Grimsby Way philosophy. Only reason we're not in more trouble is pure luck right now that the bottom two are so useless.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 108 - 124
Norseman
February 12, 2024, 11:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Was he? Confirm this.

We sacked Hurst 28th October .Adkins was appointed  full time 2nd November .Stockroom said they were looking at the data for 6 weeks prior to sacking Hurst. Do your own checks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 124
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell In Or out ?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.