14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
CodHead
March 3, 2024, 2:03pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +169
Quoted from moosey_club

Would you sit at your table shouting obscenities and call the chef a useless cnt as loud as you could ? Or would you speak with your waiter/waitress and explain your dissatisfaction ?

Where did I say we should be screaming at them? Sounds to me that you are trying to put words in my mouth that I didn’t say. We can talk about our dissatisfaction respectfully, I agree. However, their performances have been nowhere near good enough this season. Surely you can’t argue that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 139
MuddyWaters
March 3, 2024, 2:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Where was I excusing him for that? All I was trying to do is add some context.

So was I - simply that being paid to play football means that shirking challenges is not acceptable whether you're young or at the end of your career.
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 139
Son of Cod
March 3, 2024, 2:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from tarka

So, it's OK for fans to be "critical" of players (and critical is being kind) but the players can't be critical of fans? Seems to me that people shouldn't dish it out if they can't take it.  

It's not a case of not being able to take it having dished it out. I don't think I've criticised Maher or Andrews all season and I'm frustrated at Maher's response. For me, it'd maybe be fair enough if we'd won 10 on the bounce and we were safe and kicking on towards midtable but we aren't. He's not even in the team right now, he should be keeping his head down and trying to right the many wrongs he has been responsible for this season, not calling fans out on Twitter. I'm absolutely not saying players getting regular personal abuse is acceptable but the fans are welcome to express concerns when the performances, results and league position are as poor as they have been this season. He needs to rise above it. Let's not forget that Niall Maher doesn't spend his free time travelling thousands of miles a season to come give us support in our day job and he doesn't put loads of money into the coffers of the companies that pay our wages.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 139
dapperz fun pub
March 3, 2024, 2:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,048
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So was I - simply that being paid to play football means that shirking challenges is not acceptable whether you're young or at the end of your career.

Gaz Childs shirked out of every challenge going but the difference is he made things happen and contributed to the team in other ways 👍
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 139
AncientExiledMariner
March 3, 2024, 2:11pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from MuddyWaters

That, in no way, excuses pulling out of challenges which he's done on several occasions since he got in the side.

It's something he needs to work on. But probably better than Holahan casually sauntering back or on flat foot and nowhere near to put pressure on the player. Even getting in front of a player takes forward options away that cut through teams. Defensive work isn't purely about sliding tackles.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 139
Rodley Mariner
March 3, 2024, 2:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from GrimPol

If the guy was that bad and could have lost us the points, Harry Wood was on the bench and he's a midfielder, isn't he?  From what I see on the pitch not many are a "perfect fit" anyway.

They hadn't had a single shot on target so why would you want to upset things too much.   If the team was holding its own, and they played "well enough",  then why all the abuse meated out to Andrews? Savour the points.

Pointing out somebody's poor play is one thing, basically abusing him on a forum is another thing, and just wrong.

I haven't abused Andrews and won't. I thought he tired and would have replaced him if we'd had like for like on the bench. I wouldn't have replaced him with Wood.

If you're going to pompously tell me to 'savour the point' then I'd learn the difference between meat and mete 😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 139
Son of Cod
March 3, 2024, 2:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from moosey_club

Would you sit at your table shouting obscenities and call the chef a useless cnt as loud as you could ? Or would you speak with your waiter/waitress and explain your dissatisfaction ?

Depends if the chef had constantly been serving me his own faeces on a plate for months and months and then when his mates finally managed to cobble together a barely edible ham sandwich he saw fit to come shush me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 139
arryarryarry
March 3, 2024, 2:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from tarka

So, it's OK for fans to be "critical" of players (and critical is being kind) but the players can't be critical of fans? Seems to me that people shouldn't dish it out if they can't take it.  

Fans in some small way help to pay the players wages and if fans didn't bother there would be no team for the players to play for and earn a living.

All the players have to do is go out and do their best and if some aren't like of late, the fans have the right to criticise and if the players can't accept that they are in the wrong job.

Your analogy is wrong.
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 139
davmariner
March 3, 2024, 2:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79

It's something he needs to work on. But probably better than Holahan casually sauntering back or on flat foot and nowhere near to put pressure on the player. Even getting in front of a player takes forward options away that cut through teams. Defensive work isn't purely about sliding tackles.

This is absolute bollox. Holohan put in a real shift yesterday and covered that right flank really well, giving much needed cover to Clifton and Mullarkey.

There were a couple of times in which FGR’s Thompson was able to put in crosses (though poor ones) but other than that they kept him at bay.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 139
HertsGTFC
March 3, 2024, 2:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Don't disagree but you're possibly making a statement rather than adding context, but there you go.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 139
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Niall Maher

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.