This thread currently has 12,037 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
FishySmithy
March 3, 2024, 1:14pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Approval: +36
Gold Stars: 3
The lad thinks he is a big time Charlie and how he goes about it stinks. He is not for me to be fair, regardless of playing or lack off ability.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 139
AncientExiledMariner
March 3, 2024, 1:19pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from GrimPol

An awful lot of attacks got through our right, with some good crosses to follow. Our backs did put a shift in to protect a very reluctant Cartwright.

Looks like they targetted our right: https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1709401250//id-1717946#id1717946

Clifton did 4* more defensive work than Hume. Looks like Clifton made it very hard for them to put in a good cross...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 139
Maringer
March 3, 2024, 1:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
They were trying to play almost everything through their left-winger. Luckily, though he looked tricky, he didn't produce anything much other than one or two decent crosses. In general, the defence did enough to keep him out of the game.

I wonder if they played that way deliberately because they thought Clifton wasn't a defender or whether it is because they think their left-winger is their most creative player?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 139
CodHead
March 3, 2024, 1:26pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +169
Quoted from tarka

So, it's OK for fans to be "critical" of players (and critical is being kind) but the players can't be critical of fans? Seems to me that people shouldn't dish it out if they can't take it.  

Fans pay their hard earned money to watch them play of course they have a right to be critical.
If you go to a restaurant and are not satisfied by the food, you have a right to complain, why is this any different?

Both Maher and Andrews haven’t been good enough this season, Maher seems to have got away with murder this season, I’d go as far as saying he’s looked worse than a boozed up Paul Linwood. Andrews pulls out of every 50/50 challenge which can often leave us in the lurch, don’t understand why, he’s hardly blessed with fantastic technical ability that could affect the game in a positive way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 139
GollyGTFC
March 3, 2024, 1:30pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,054
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from ginnywings
Andrews seems to be getting singled out but he was no worse than any of the other midfielders. Thompson is a good player but I fancy my chances of beating him over 30 yards and I'm in my 60's. Holohan wasn't much better, but they all battled hard in what was a rearguard action and we kept a clean sheet with them having no shots on target, so job done.

Maher just defending his team mates as far as I'm concerned, but admit I haven't read his comments, and don't intend to. Storm in a teacup.

Andrews is miles better than Holohan & Clifton (who are largely worshipped) and will play regularly at a much higher level than both of them. He had a good game yesterday. The one glaring "error" he made was more down to Denver Hume checking his run down the left and then being unable to get on the end of what was actually a really good pass.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 84 - 139
Maringer
March 3, 2024, 1:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
In defence of Thompson, in his interview on Friday, Artell mentioned that he's just come back from illness and had lost 3 kilos (that's half a stone). If you've ever had a bug which causes sickness/squits for a week or so, you'll know how utterly wiped out you feel after it. I had something when I was 17 and lost half a stone when there was nothing on me. I had persistent headaches and tiredness afterwards and it took me a month to get over it. I can understand why Thompson looked fooked relatively early doors.

I also think people being over critical of Andrews who was no worse than any of the other midfielders and did some decent defensive on the day. Somebody posted some stats showing he'd done better in some regards than Holohan and I certainly wouldn't disagree with those as Holohan was shocking in many aspects of the game yesterday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 139
HertsGTFC
March 3, 2024, 1:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from headingly_mariner

He is by a large distance worse. He is weak, cowardly, slow and not good enough with the ball to make up for that.

He had a shocker yesterday with the ball, but it's the half challenges and the bottling of other challenges that is a real worry. There was a moment in the second half when he had the opportunity to win an aerial challenge the ball bounced between him and an FGR player and you could see him clock the other player coming, he then didn't even challenge for the ball.
He could probably be a footballer, but he needs to get his finger out and stop being a fanny. He needs to throw everything at it to have a league career, he's not doing that.

Though I think he's been poor it has to be said that he's a young kid in his first senior EFL season being thrown into what up until have been the last couple of games an absolute car crash of a squad/team, not an easy ask that.

People bang on about giving young players a chance to his credit Artell is doing just that and also to Artell's credit he looks to be sticking with him in the match day squad.

Like most clubs at our level we have to take lads on loan who are quite often in their development sometimes they hit the ground running sometime s not, sometimes they start well and then fade.

"Cowardly"? powerful word that. Someone on here described Harvey Cartwright as a coward on here recently which I also found quite off when you look at the way keepers throw them selves around from a standing start.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 139
MuddyWaters
March 3, 2024, 1:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Though I think he's been poor it has to be said that he's a young kid in his first senior EFL season being thrown into what up until have been the last couple of games an absolute car crash of a squad/team, not an easy ask that.

People bang on about giving young players a chance to his credit Artell is doing just that and also to Artell's credit he looks to be sticking with him in the match day squad.

Like  most clubs at our level we have to take lads on loan who are quite often in their development sometimes they hit the ground running sometime s not, sometimes they start well and then fade

That, in no way, excuses pulling out of challenges which he's done on several occasions since he got in the side.
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 139
HertsGTFC
March 3, 2024, 1:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from MuddyWaters

That, in no way, excuses pulling out of challenges which he's done on several occasions since he got in the side.

Where was I excusing him for that? All I was trying to do is add some context.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 139
moosey_club
March 3, 2024, 1:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,298
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from CodHead

Fans pay their hard earned money to watch them play of course they have a right to be critical.
If you go to a restaurant and are not satisfied by the food, you have a right to complain, why is this any different?

Would you sit at your table shouting obscenities and call the chef a useless cnt as loud as you could ? Or would you speak with your waiter/waitress and explain your dissatisfaction ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 139
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Niall Maher

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.