CSLM
March 2, 2024, 11:11pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from DB

I agree with your post, however, it got me thinking. Many have complained of a lack of team spirit these last months. Then Maher shows some which is to be congratulated, so we complain again. I haven't read what he said but this now shows a bit of comradery within the team.

Good point.

As I said earlier Andrews did make plenty of mistakes but I think he is better than portrayed.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 139
AncientExiledMariner
March 2, 2024, 11:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Gosh. Twitter is a toxic cesspool.

I'm not on there, but reading through here, it's ridiculous.

Maher is defending a young player who didn't have the best of games. Considering he wasn't picked today and had every right to be sulking, he's stuck his neck out and that shows a good team spirit.

Basically, apart from Andrews, we had Wood and Green. Green was needed to come on for Thompson, who while talented cannot come through 90 mins and has to go off. Basically, the only choices we had was either Wood, or Smith at right back and Clifton in the middle. Considering Smith's was previously out, DA went with Andrews. Andrews has had more good games than Wood imho so perfectly logical.

The real idiots are grown adults that go online and bash a young kid trying his best because that supposed grown adult has poor emotional management.

I'm pleased Maher was out of the team, but mainly because I'm still annoyed by him refusing the pass from Cartwright that led to that member up the other week and him getting caught up front when we got cut through and conceded. However, apparently you can not be happy with the way someone is playing, and still consider that not everything they do is bad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 139
TAGG
March 2, 2024, 11:16pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,958
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Alan Buckley
Hope this useless clown never plays for us again after his comments on twitter! He’s got away Scot free for most of the season despite being absolutely woeful! Now because we’ve scraped a win against a team below us he thinks it’s clever to have a pop at the fans!

No thanks Niall get yourself on the rock and roll come June 1st!

Bore off

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 139
LH
March 2, 2024, 11:20pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,529
Gold Stars: 173

Maher is defending a young player who didn't have the best of games. Considering he wasn't picked today and had every right to be sulking, he's stuck his neck out and that shows a good team spirit.

Basically, apart from Andrews, we had Wood and Green. Green was needed to come on for Thompson, who while talented cannot come through 90 mins and has to go off. Basically, the only choices we had was either Wood, or Smith at right back and Clifton in the middle. Considering Smith's form hasn't been great, DA went with Andrews. Andrews has had more good games than Wood imho so perfectly logical.

The real idiots are grown adults that go online and bash a young kid trying his best because that supposed grown adult has poor emotional management.

I'm pleased Maher was out of the team, but mainly because I'm still annoyed by him refusing the pass from Cartwright that led to that member up the other week and him getting caught up front when we got cut through and conceded. However, apparently you can not be happy with the way someone is playing, and still consider that not everything they do is bad.

Noone was bashing him directly. Maher started it with a comment about silencing the critics but looking through this and the just back thread the critics were far from silenced. There’s a time and place for told you so type comments and it definitely isn’t after your first win in two months.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 139
AncientExiledMariner
March 2, 2024, 11:24pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from LH

Noone was bashing him directly. Maher started it with a comment about silencing the critics but looking through this and the just back thread the critics were far from silenced. There’s a time and place for told you so type comments and it definitely isn’t after your first win in two months.

Appreciate the clarification. Twitter is now behind a reg wall, so you don't see excrement if you ain't on there. It definitely doesn't help with him being smug. I have read on other threads that Andrews was getting excrement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 139
ginnywings
March 2, 2024, 11:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,145
Gold Stars: 548

Basically, apart from Andrews, we had Wood and Green. Green was needed to come on for Thompson, who while talented cannot come through 90 mins and has to go off. Basically, the only choices we had was either Wood, or Smith at right back and Clifton in the middle. Considering Smith's form hasn't been great, DA went with Andrews. Andrews has had more good games than Wood imho so perfectly logical.

The irony in that sentence being that Maher wasn't playing literally because he can't stick his neck out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 139
Heisenberg
March 2, 2024, 11:35pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,070
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from diehardmariner
Kinda interesting how this follows on from Artell's comments that he was pleased to see the players stand up for each other and not back down when handbags were drawn.

My first thought on this was Maher's got some nerve, then calmed to it's heat of the moment and then third that I'm kinda liking that he's backing Andrews up. It shows some sense of togetherness in the camp.

Finally though I just thought it would be a lot easier if both Andrews and Maher said nothing at all.  It's really, really unlikely that I'm going to become a professional footballer now, however if I did I think I'd make a point of having absolute silence on social media.

Same for the generic 'we're gonna put things right' that comes out of players after every defeat. Does anyone care or believe it?

Ok, I’m 48, so a lot older than these players, but why partake in social media? It’s not a prerequisite. The club don’t demand it.

In essence, don’t say a f#cking word.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 139
rancido
March 3, 2024, 8:26am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
I find it all very ironic that the fans can have "open season" on here to slag off the players with some remarks very toxic and bordering on offensive. Then when one player defends another on social media there is such an uproar! " How dare he" , " Who does he think he is" etc. There are so many hypocrites on this site but I suppose it's no different to most of the others. A lot of the posters and fans think they are untouchable and beyond reproach but when the object of their derision tries to defend himself and his work colleagues then they are, in turn, slated for it.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 139
mariner91
March 3, 2024, 8:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from rancido
I find it all very ironic that the fans can have "open season" on here to slag off the players with some remarks very toxic and bordering on offensive. Then when one player defends another on social media there is such an uproar! " How dare he" , " Who does he think he is" etc. There are so many hypocrites on this site but I suppose it's no different to most of the others. A lot of the posters and fans think they are untouchable and beyond reproach but when the object of their derision tries to defend himself and his work colleagues then they are, in turn, slated for it.

Because Maher has been silent for the last two months when we’ve been getting hammered most weeks and putting in abject performances. One scrappy win against the second worst team in the country and he’s claiming the critics have been silenced. The irony being that Andrews was abysmal yesterday, twice as likely to lose possession as he was to retain it. I’m all for players sticking up for each other but turning on the fans who, in the main, have kept turning up to support them despite them not deserving it shows that his decision making off the pitch is as bad as it is on the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 139
Freemoash88
March 3, 2024, 8:38am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from rancido

Couldn't agree more. Yes a player should remain professional but Social media is such a toxic place. I think it goes hand in hand how the world is at the minute. Everyone's ok having an opinion and slagging someone off but as soon as they get it back they go into self destruct mode as the younger generation can't take criticism or accept the word "No". Maher has had a crap season but If you give it you've got to be able to take it and to be fair to all the Town players they;ve took abuse off us all season so yeh I can see why some players have resorted to having a pop back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 139
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Niall Maher

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.