14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
CSLM
March 2, 2024, 9:59pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 12
A bit torn on this. Can't really argue with SOC's point about the silence before now but I don't think he should get slaughtered for defending a young player.

Same with the celebratory tweets, I don't think that's a bad thing but can see why people ask where were the tweets after the recent home games.

The players are under a lot of pressure and I do think it is better if they can express their opinions without getting pelters.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 139
MaccasBoots
March 2, 2024, 10:01pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +684
Gold Stars: 23
I agree Maher's tweets were a bit silly, and are probably the result of a lot of pent up emotion about the awful situation we find ourselves in. Let's not pretend that a lot of us haven't said silly things too. Though, to be clear, I do think he has extra responsibility on his shoulders as a first team player.

But. We've won a huge game. A massive result we should all be happy with. Let's forgive Niall's misjudged comment and keep pushing forward together imo. We've all done silly stuff. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 139
Heisenberg
March 2, 2024, 10:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,067
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from BulkyMariner
Great to see the players celebration tweets, but can someone remind them we're 21st in League 2 with a 6 point gap to the relegation zone in a season we were expecting to be challenging for the play-offs.

We played like excrement, against a excrement FGR team. 3 badly needed points, but from some of their tweets you'd have thought we'd just won the champions league.

I disagree. If we’d played excrement, we’d have lost.

They fought like warriors, and whilst here was a lack of quality, I feel they played for the manager.

3 points. F#cking bingo.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 139
dapperz fun pub
March 2, 2024, 10:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,952
Gold Stars: 82
Let’s get over the line … then a few of them want slaughtering , but let’s wait
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 139
grimsby pete
March 2, 2024, 10:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
Some of the abuse might have been a bit over the top on here this season.

The players must realise watching town is not a hobby for us it's really matters when we lose and we don't expect out team to let in five and six goals at home.

So bite the bullet players and you will only get nice things said about you if you play like Rose and win a few games.

We only say nasty things because we care,   how the attendances have kept up all season must tell you we are passionate about our club.

I must admit young players learning their trade should not be criticised they must be given a bit of leeway until they have grown up enough to ignore the abuse.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 139
headingly_mariner
March 2, 2024, 10:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,378
Gold Stars: 116
He is utterly male masturbation Andrews, but I've no issue with a senior player trying to stick up for a a young lad taking pelters on Twitter.

Bit different on here, if the players read this they're morons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 139
diehardmariner
March 2, 2024, 10:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Kinda interesting how this follows on from Artell's comments that he was pleased to see the players stand up for each other and not back down when handbags were drawn.

My first thought on this was Maher's got some nerve, then calmed to it's heat of the moment and then third that I'm kinda liking that he's backing Andrews up. It shows some sense of togetherness in the camp.

Finally though I just thought it would be a lot easier if both Andrews and Maher said nothing at all.  It's really, really unlikely that I'm going to become a professional footballer now, however if I did I think I'd make a point of having absolute silence on social media.

Same for the generic 'we're gonna put things right' that comes out of players after every defeat. Does anyone care or believe it?
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 139
davmariner
March 2, 2024, 10:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
People need to chill out, who cares. Maher isn’t even in the team and probably won’t get much of a chance before the end of the season. If he wants to be a Twitter gobshite then good luck to him.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 139
arryarryarry
March 2, 2024, 10:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Heisenberg

I disagree. If we’d played excrement, we’d have lost.

They fought like warriors, and whilst here was a lack of quality, I feel they played for the manager.

3 points. F#cking bingo.

We were basically excrement, thankfully they were just as excrement in the final third.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 139
DB
March 2, 2024, 11:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from diehardmariner
Kinda interesting how this follows on from Artell's comments that he was pleased to see the players stand up for each other and not back down when handbags were drawn.

My first thought on this was Maher's got some nerve, then calmed to it's heat of the moment and then third that I'm kinda liking that he's backing Andrews up. It shows some sense of togetherness in the camp.

Finally though I just thought it would be a lot easier if both Andrews and Maher said nothing at all.  It's really, really unlikely that I'm going to become a professional footballer now, however if I did I think I'd make a point of having absolute silence on social media.

Same for the generic 'we're gonna put things right' that comes out of players after every defeat. Does anyone care or believe it?

I agree with your post, however, it got me thinking. Many have complained of a lack of team spirit these last months. Then Maher shows some which is to be congratulated, so we complain again. I haven't read what he said but this now shows a bit of comradery within the team.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 139
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Niall Maher

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.