14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
March 3, 2024, 10:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,298
Gold Stars: 226
Hilarious. Boohoo a player showed a reaction....people need to get them over themselves....the quite direct and personal abuse players have got on here , undoubtedly on  "X " and from the stands is completely unwarranted.
By all means show frustration, be critical if you feel the need but some of the cr@p that gets shouted and posted then hardly surprising the players will circle the wagons and defend themselves.

Probably the same people who goad opposition strikers relentlessly and then complain when they get the shush 🤫 celebration.

If you can't take it don't give it.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 139
tarka
March 3, 2024, 10:54am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +895
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from rancido

Of course it's right to criticise players but there are better ways than calling them " shite" , " get rid in the summer" ie sack him. I'm sure a lot of these keyboard warriors if exposed to that kind of criticism would react with many more expletives and abuse. I was brought up to treat people like I would want them to treat me but obviously that is outdated,, judging by quite a few posters on here.

Absolutely. Well said.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 71 - 139
HertsGTFC
March 3, 2024, 11:10am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,994
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from rancido

Of course it's right to criticise players but there are better ways than calling them " shite" , " get rid in the summer" ie sack him. I'm sure a lot of these keyboard warriors if exposed to that kind of criticism would react with many more expletives and abuse. I was brought up to treat people like I would want them to treat me but obviously that is outdated,, judging by quite a few posters on here.

Fair point.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 139
dapperz fun pub
March 3, 2024, 11:14am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,048
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from tarka

So, it's OK for fans to be "critical" of players (and critical is being kind) but the players can't be critical of fans? Seems to me that people shouldn't dish it out if they can't take it.  

Critical of fans errr we get 6/7k gates playing total dog excrement every week , we take fantastic support to most places still even though we’re one of the four worst teams in the football  league. If the said player was putting his head on the line rather than pulling out of challenges I’d be slightly more sympathetic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 139
GrimPol
March 3, 2024, 11:26am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Thompson was absolutely copulated.

Agreed, but why not sub both? That's the point of subs, you freshen the playing team for all sorts of reasons.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 139
Rodley Mariner
March 3, 2024, 12:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from GrimPol

Agreed, but why not sub both? That's the point of subs, you freshen the playing team for all sorts of reasons.

Because we didn't have two obvious replacements. Wood looks more of a number 10 so it would have meant changing shape or moving Clifton. They hadn't had a single shot on target so why would you want to upset things too much.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 139
AncientExiledMariner
March 3, 2024, 12:46pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from GrimPol

This thing I see constantly. You have to replace with something you have on the bench. The options weren't great. What you replace with could be worse. Green has been hammered previously in the last few home games and described as a "non-league clogger", yet he's expected to replace Thompson, who while a solid player probably couldn't spell endurance right now. The only real option we had was Wood. While Andrews passing was not good yesterday. The gaffer probably felt that his off the ball was better than Wood and he could probably improve on the passing over the course of the game. The stats for him weren't dreadful off the ball. He was winning a reasonable amount of duels/recoveries. We conceded zero goals, so it cannot have been too bad. In football, players only ever have half the time on the ball (or yesterday, about a third), and the other side of the game is important. Yeah Andrews maybe isn't as brave as some, but at least he's getting close enough to the action for people to see that and it's harder to go forward with a player in your way.

I did previously suggest Smith and push Clifton central, but with Smith out last week and on the bench this week, I'm wondering if he was one of the players who were ill or in the car incident. Plus, taking Clifton away from the right could have been a massive risk. We've been getting hammered with crosses going in this season. Clifton works his balderdash off to get in the way and make that harder.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 139
headingly_mariner
March 3, 2024, 12:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from ginnywings
Andrews seems to be getting singled out but he was no worse than any of the other midfielders. Thompson is a good player but I fancy my chances of beating him over 30 yards and I'm in my 60's. Holohan wasn't much better, but they all battled hard in what was a rearguard action and we kept a clean sheet with them having no shots on target, so job done.

Maher just defending his team mates as far as I'm concerned, but admit I haven't read his comments, and don't intend to. Storm in a teacup.

He is by a large distance worse. He is weak, cowardly, slow and not good enough with the ball to make up for that.

He had a shocker yesterday with the ball, but it's the half challenges and the bottling of other challenges that is a real worry. There was a moment in the second half when he had the opportunity to win an aerial challenge the ball bounced between him and an FGR player and you could see him clock the other player coming, he then didn't even challenge for the ball.
He could probably be a footballer, but he needs to get his finger out and stop being a fanny. He needs to throw everything at it to have a league career, he's not doing that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 139
GrimPol
March 3, 2024, 12:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Because we didn't have two obvious replacements. Wood looks more of a number 10 so it would have meant changing shape or moving Clifton. They hadn't had a single shot on target so why would you want to upset things too much.

If the guy was that bad and could have lost us the points, Harry Wood was on the bench and he's a midfielder, isn't he?  From what I see on the pitch not many are a "perfect fit" anyway.

They hadn't had a single shot on target so why would you want to upset things too much.   If the team was holding its own, and they played "well enough",  then why all the abuse meated out to Andrews? Savour the points.

Pointing out somebody's poor play is one thing, basically abusing him on a forum is another thing, and just wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 139
GrimPol
March 3, 2024, 1:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker

This thing I see constantly. You have to replace with something you have on the bench. The options weren't great. What you replace with could be worse. Green has been hammered previously in the last few home games and described as a "non-league clogger", yet he's expected to replace Thompson, who while a solid player probably couldn't spell endurance right now. The only real option we had was Wood. While Andrews passing was not good yesterday. The gaffer probably felt that his off the ball was better than Wood and he could probably improve on the passing over the course of the game. The stats for him weren't dreadful off the ball. He was winning a reasonable amount of duels/recoveries. We conceded zero goals, so it cannot have been too bad. In football, players only ever half half the time on the ball (or yesterday, about a third), and that side of the game is important. Yeah Andrews maybe isn't as brave as some, but at least he's getting close enough to the action for people to see that and it's harder to go forward with a player in your way.

I did previously suggest Smith and push Clifton central, but with Smith out last week and on the bench this week, I'm wondering if he was one of the players who were ill or in the car incident. Plus, taking Clifton away from the right could have been a massive risk. We've been getting hammered with crosses going in this season. Clifton works his balderdash off to get in the way and make that harder.

An awful lot of attacks got through our right, with some good crosses to follow. Our backs did put a shift in to protect a very reluctant Cartwright.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 139
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Niall Maher

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.