Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › When Artell goes who do you want next.?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

When Artell goes who do you want next.?

This thread currently has 9,868 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
February 20, 2024, 2:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,725
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Poojah

Fair question. Adams has got 400+ more games under his belt, so there’s a bit more to go on. And there’s certainly more than one achievement in there.

Took Ross County from the Scottish Second Division to the SPL, and then finished 5th the next season. He also took them to the Scottish FA Cup final as a second tier club along the way.

Took Plymouth to the League Two play-offs in his first season, then won automatic promotion the following year, then finished 7th in League One.

He took over at Morecambe with the Shrimps bottom of the league with 13 points from 17 games. They were fourth from bottom when the season was stopped due to Covid, and then followed that up with winning the League Two play-offs in that fan-less season.

He left Morecambe that summer to take over at Bradford, where it didn’t quite work out, but he’s not the first and won’t be the last manager to suffer that fate at Valley Parade.

In the interest of balance; he did also get relegated from League One when back at Morecambe last season, but he had taken over the season before that when the club was in the relegation zone and had them finish 19th. When he left them again back in November, they were 2 points of the League Two play-offs with 2 games in hand.

You can argue that it hasn’t worked out for him most recently at Ross County as well, and you’d be right, but I think right now we desperately an experienced manager to organise and discipline a horribly dysfunctional team, and Derek Adams looks to me about as good as anything we can realistically hope for.

But does he play the "Grimsby way"?
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 123
Grantham_Mariner
February 20, 2024, 2:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,190
Gold Stars: 51

But does he play the "Grimsby way"?

Have we ever played the "Grimsby Way" ?

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 123
Madeleymariner
February 21, 2024, 4:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,059
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

Have we ever played the "Grimsby Way" ?

Watched full game of Town v Bournemouth during Buckley mk1 on YouTube the other day. Won 5-0 but nearly every goal kick was a hoof up the middle by Sherwood and a lot of the passing was woeful. Obvs Buckley did have us playing some good footy  (I get the feeling JS is talking about this era)  but total football it wasn't.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 123
RonMariner
February 21, 2024, 11:01pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,721
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Watched full game of Town v Bournemouth during Buckley mk1 on YouTube the other day. Won 5-0 but nearly every goal kick was a hoof up the middle by Sherwood and a lot of the passing was woeful. Obvs Buckley did have us playing some good footy  (I get the feeling JS is talking about this era)  but total football it wasn't.  

The thing is that under AB we had good footballers who could control the ball, pass accurately, move into space, make good decisions more often than not and hold up the ball when required. If you have players with that level of skill and vision you will get results whatever system you play.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 123
Manchester Mariner
February 21, 2024, 11:27pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from Madeleymariner

All goal kicks were hoofs up the pitch until a couple of years ago. Now most goal kicks are passes between two defenders either side in a quest to 'play out from the back'. You even see it more often than not at Northern Premier level. I'd love to see another John Beck bunch of long ball mavericks who smash this uniform regime of football that all teams seem to do at the moment.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 123
The Yard Dog
February 21, 2024, 11:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from MaccasBoots
Very funny how 90% of this forum want Artell gone yet no on has a serious suggestion for a replacement.

Same 90% who wanted Paul gone and the 90% who were happy with the appointment of Artell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 123
louth_in_the_south
February 22, 2024, 6:39am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 96
So I was in the majority for hurst going but in the minority for DA . In what group of pariahs does that leave me ?

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 123
Bristol Mariner
February 22, 2024, 6:46am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Or we could get behind the team for the next two games

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 123
It Bites
February 22, 2024, 7:25am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,211
Gold Stars: 265
I have a new concept it’s called The Winning Way . I don’t give a flying F whether we go long ,play boring tepid football or even finish the game with 20% possession . I just want us to win football matches and stay in this league.
Whether you  like him or not Steve Evans will always be the great missed opportunity for this football club.
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 123
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 22, 2024, 7:38am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from It Bites
I have a new concept it’s called The Winning Way . I don’t give a flying F whether we go long ,play boring tepid football or even finish the game with 20% possession . I just want us to win football matches and stay in this league.
Whether you  like him or not Steve Evans will always be the great missed opportunity for this football club.

You may feel this way but a very vocal part of the support does not.

We had a manager who got a fairly limited team to the play off final but had suffered huge abuse all season because of his approach and tactics. You could argue he played a system suited to his players and it worked like a charm, something clearly lacking from the current set up.

Even today some will have you believe Russel Slade is the antichrist.

(I accept without argument that his second period was horrible)

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 123
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › When Artell goes who do you want next.?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.