Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › When Artell goes who do you want next.?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

When Artell goes who do you want next.?

This thread currently has 9,859 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
February 22, 2024, 8:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 539
This Grimsby Way thing really does make me laugh.

I've supported Town since the late 80's and there's very little in there of nice passing football beyond the late 1990's.  Don't get me wrong, that's a golden era for the club.  But it's 25 years ago.  The game has completely moved on and any side who set up like that now would get destroyed.

2000 onwards:

Lennie Lawrence.  Percentages football.  First thing he did was work on the fact we lacked athleticism.

Paul Groves.  More football based but hardly tika-taka.  Obsessed with a big man up top.

Nicky Law - intercourse knows.  Just excrement.

Russell Slade  - Absolutely percentage football.  Maximised what he had at his disposal, which was largely pace and energy.  Different argument but look at the  goals from 05/06 (especially up to about January) and tell me its not exciting.  It's just a different type of exciting football.

Graham Rodger - Tried to replicate Slade's approach, didn't have the players.

Alan Buckley MkIII - Tried to be more tika-taka and it didn't work.  Was bored to tears and in the end even he went with a more pragmatic approach, 5-man midfield etc.

Mike Newell - Percentage football.  Not a lot of football at all.  Not sure he or anyone else knew what the plan was.

Neil Woods - Genuinely tried to play football, arguably didn't have the players but also didn't deliver either.  Perhaps a reminder that you need to set up relative to what you've got at your disposal.

Hurst/Scott - Hoof

Hurst - Less hoof, but not exactly free flowing.

Bignot - As exciting as it was frustrating.  He did like a creative type player (Osborne, Clements) and I believe wanted to entertain with his football.   If I had to describe his style it would be about the high press, which when it worked was excellent (Blackpool away on his final game), but when it didn't it was a disaster (Doncaster at home, shortly before he was sacked).

Slade Mk II - Just excrement.

Jolley - Once he got settled, very very pragmatic and reserved.  Loved a man-for-man system against anyone remotely better.  Bored by it in the end.

Holloway - First season had us playing some great stuff, note that he had better players to work with (Clarke, Benson et al.)  Second season was just anything, everything, nothing.

Hurst Mk II - Little deviation from the first spell really. Can spot a proper footballer but reluctant to use them.  Always, always favours a grafter over a maverick.

So what is the Grimsby Way then?   Because if it's supposed to be some sort of free flowing football then it's not a historical reference to how we used to play, it's more of an aspiration from 1878 of how we should set up.  I think most of us would love to be both successful and entertaining.  But that isn't going to happen overnight.  The board dictating the style of play makes me feel uncomfortable.  If there's a playing culture then it has to be organic and developed over time, not just decided that we're going to do it.  

Most clubs who have in recent years developed a 'brand' have done so under the guise of a Director of Football/Sporting Operations/whatever wanky job title you want to give them.  They can mandate that at every level of the club that's the style and approach all teams are taking.    I'm not saying I think we need a DoF but if we want this ethos, then it has to come from someone central to it all who is not likely to leave within 18 months and has oversight and input (where/when needed) on every aspect of the footballing teams.  1878 don't have that oversight, input or indeed expertise to do so.  Artell isn't the man either, he even spoke when he came in that he's pleased he's not having to do everything and can now go about enacting the vision of someone else.
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 123
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 22, 2024, 8:26am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,277
Gold Stars: 306
Interesting that you mention both Tika Taka and Total Football.

Brands of football drilled into youngsters the moment they walk through the door of a state of the art training and development centre, by the time you play for the Barca and Ajax first team you have been playing like that since you were very young (or you've been bought because you can play that way).

Cheapside is not La Masia or De Toekomst.

Play the type of football you have the players for.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 123
lew chaterleys lover
February 22, 2024, 8:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,720
Gold Stars: 237
I bet Stockwood regrets the day he said the Grimsby way.

To be fair I think he just meant they wanted to get away from the turgid football Hurst was serving up week after week and give the fans some excitement.

No one can deny its not been exciting, with plenty of goals but sadly nearly all for the opposition.

Their reputation has taken a bit of a beating, but I still cling on to the hope Artell can turn it round starting Saturday.

Private Message
Reply: 102 - 123
kafunanapar140909
February 22, 2024, 9:11am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
I bet Stockwood regrets the day he said the Grimsby way.

To be fair I think he just meant they wanted to get away from the turgid football Hurst was serving up week after week and give the fans some excitement.  

Pretty much my view, too. If you're an owner who has absolutely no interest in having a dig at Hurst, how do you say "we want to move on from Hurst's turgid style" without actually saying "we want to move on from Hurst's turgid style"?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 123
1mickylyons
February 22, 2024, 9:23am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
He said Grimsby Way but it doesn't exist he meant Buckley way and playing passing football we all get that and most agree in an ideal World it's what we want. However in a relegation battle is 100% the wrong time  to try and start it especially when you only have 3-4 players in your squad who can pass two of whom you don't pick Glennon and Hunt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 123
Mappers
February 22, 2024, 12:15pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from diehardmariner
This Grimsby Way thing really does make me laugh.

I've supported Town since the late 80's and there's very little in there of nice passing football beyond the late 1990's.  Don't get me wrong, that's a golden era for the club.  But it's 25 years ago.  The game has completely moved on and any side who set up like that now would get destroyed.

2000 onwards:

Lennie Lawrence.  Percentages football.  First thing he did was work on the fact we lacked athleticism.

Paul Groves.  More football based but hardly tika-taka.  Obsessed with a big man up top.

Nicky Law - intercourse knows.  Just excrement.

Russell Slade  - Absolutely percentage football.  Maximised what he had at his disposal, which was largely pace and energy.  Different argument but look at the  goals from 05/06 (especially up to about January) and tell me its not exciting.  It's just a different type of exciting football.

Graham Rodger - Tried to replicate Slade's approach, didn't have the players.

Alan Buckley MkIII - Tried to be more tika-taka and it didn't work.  Was bored to tears and in the end even he went with a more pragmatic approach, 5-man midfield etc.

Mike Newell - Percentage football.  Not a lot of football at all.  Not sure he or anyone else knew what the plan was.

Neil Woods - Genuinely tried to play football, arguably didn't have the players but also didn't deliver either.  Perhaps a reminder that you need to set up relative to what you've got at your disposal.

Hurst/Scott - Hoof

Hurst - Less hoof, but not exactly free flowing.

Bignot - As exciting as it was frustrating.  He did like a creative type player (Osborne, Clements) and I believe wanted to entertain with his football.   If I had to describe his style it would be about the high press, which when it worked was excellent (Blackpool away on his final game), but when it didn't it was a disaster (Doncaster at home, shortly before he was sacked).

Slade Mk II - Just excrement.

Jolley - Once he got settled, very very pragmatic and reserved.  Loved a man-for-man system against anyone remotely better.  Bored by it in the end.

Holloway - First season had us playing some great stuff, note that he had better players to work with (Clarke, Benson et al.)  Second season was just anything, everything, nothing.

Hurst Mk II - Little deviation from the first spell really. Can spot a proper footballer but reluctant to use them.  Always, always favours a grafter over a maverick.

So what is the Grimsby Way then?   Because if it's supposed to be some sort of free flowing football then it's not a historical reference to how we used to play, it's more of an aspiration from 1878 of how we should set up.  I think most of us would love to be both successful and entertaining.  But that isn't going to happen overnight.  The board dictating the style of play makes me feel uncomfortable.  If there's a playing culture then it has to be organic and developed over time, not just decided that we're going to do it.  

Most clubs who have in recent years developed a 'brand' have done so under the guise of a Director of Football/Sporting Operations/whatever wanky job title you want to give them.  They can mandate that at every level of the club that's the style and approach all teams are taking.    I'm not saying I think we need a DoF but if we want this ethos, then it has to come from someone central to it all who is not likely to leave within 18 months and has oversight and input (where/when needed) on every aspect of the footballing teams.  1878 don't have that oversight, input or indeed expertise to do so.  Artell isn't the man either, he even spoke when he came in that he's pleased he's not having to do everything and can now go about enacting the vision of someone else.

I think it's partly (mostly) down to the level we have been at for 20 years - lower end league 2 /NL . They are hardly the centre of  ideology for total football whether you are successful or not . There are plenty of teams in league 1 and the Champ that play a lot more expansive and exciting football . We have just not been north of league 2 for that long we have seen the lower end dross style of fare .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 123
Maringer
February 22, 2024, 12:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,526
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from 1mickylyons
He said Grimsby Way but it doesn't exist he meant Buckley way and playing passing football we all get that and most agree in an ideal World it's what we want. However in a relegation battle is 100% the wrong time  to try and start it especially when you only have 3-4 players in your squad who can pass two of whom you don't pick Glennon and Hunt.

He's of an age where he would have been watching Buckley's teams in his teens/early 20s, (as was I). I was always proud that we were known for playing some really good football and you have to say that the fact we were able to keep ourselves in the 2nd tier for so many years was pretty remarkable, given the size of the club. I'm certain that 'The Grimsby Way' was referring to the Buckley (Mk. I & II) years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 123
It Bites
February 22, 2024, 12:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,200
Gold Stars: 265
As you drive up cleethorpes Road on to Grimsby road and up to the ground I never once feel proud of the town . It’s a dump isn’t it . A forgotten back water slowly decaying in front of our eyes . Everyone is proud of their roots but it should never be worn as a badge of honour .
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 123
lew chaterleys lover
February 22, 2024, 1:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,720
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from It Bites
As you drive up cleethorpes Road on to Grimsby road and up to the ground I never once feel proud of the town . It’s a dump isn’t it . A forgotten back water slowly decaying in front of our eyes . Everyone is proud of their roots but it should never be worn as a badge of honour .

Go round the other way then - it's lovely.

It is a mess down there but so many secondary shopping streets up and down the country are.
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 123
Mappers
February 22, 2024, 2:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from It Bites

No , love the place it might be behind a bit but would rather have a chat with a local in a 'real' place than get the bollockings from Karen across the road  for putting the car on her front in the relatively affluent area I live .

Always tell the wife there is a 50k house waiting for her and she can walk to the games with me bi-weekly .

She says I am easily pleased and she doesn't like football so seems a none starter so far .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 123
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › When Artell goes who do you want next.?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.