Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › When Artell goes who do you want next.?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

When Artell goes who do you want next.?

This thread currently has 9,857 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
February 20, 2024, 12:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Why is Derek Adams suddenly the flavour of the month? Do we know the full story with him, or are we just looking at the best bits like with the other DA?
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 123
LN8Mariner
February 20, 2024, 12:54pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +313
Gold Stars: 9
Why is Derek Adams suddenly the flavour of the month? Do we know the full story with him, or are we just looking at the best bits like with the other DA?

It’ll save money on the team kit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 123
mariner91
February 20, 2024, 1:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,651
Gold Stars: 261

Probably as simple as he’s very recently worked in this division, has done well in it previously and is definitely available right now. Frankly I’d take Gerry Adams at the minute, hardly like we could be any worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 123
louth_in_the_south
February 20, 2024, 1:17pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,681
Gold Stars: 96
A couple of paramilitaries with AK47s as assistants instead of SP & BD would probably have the desired motivational affect .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 123
jamesgtfc
February 20, 2024, 1:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
In terms of being on an upward trajectory and being able to implement a good brand of football in the longer term, I would go for Tommy Widdrington.

King's Lynn were awful in the National League prior to him taking over, he got them organised with a pragmatic approach, and they almost survived. Last season he had them playing some great stuff at the top of the National League North, but jumped shop towards the end of the season to manage relegation threatened Aldershot Town in the National League. He kept them up and his risk paid off. This season, Aldershot are doing very well. I haven't seen them play to comment on their style, but he's got the necessary fight and flexibility to try and utilise what we have before implementing a more attractive playing style next season.

I've spoken to Tommy a couple of times previously and he's an absolutely smashing bloke, he deals with the press and fans respectfully, and recent history suggests that he gets results.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 123
Mappers
February 20, 2024, 1:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from jamesgtfc
In terms of being on an upward trajectory and being able to implement a good brand of football in the longer term, I would go for Tommy Widdrington.

King's Lynn were awful in the National League prior to him taking over, he got them organised with a pragmatic approach, and they almost survived. Last season he had them playing some great stuff at the top of the National League North, but jumped shop towards the end of the season to manage relegation threatened Aldershot Town in the National League. He kept them up and his risk paid off. This season, Aldershot are doing very well. I haven't seen them play to comment on their style, but he's got the necessary fight and flexibility to try and utilise what we have before implementing a more attractive playing style next season.

I've spoken to Tommy a couple of times previously and he's an absolutely smashing bloke, he deals with the press and fans respectfully, and recent history suggests that he gets results.

A question more than any sort of opinion -

Are we a decent prospect for an up and coming young manager with a recent record of sucess ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 123
Poojah
February 20, 2024, 1:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,540
Gold Stars: 1,500

Fair question. Adams has got 400+ more games under his belt, so there’s a bit more to go on. And there’s certainly more than one achievement in there.

Took Ross County from the Scottish Second Division to the SPL, and then finished 5th the next season. He also took them to the Scottish FA Cup final as a second tier club along the way.

Took Plymouth to the League Two play-offs in his first season, then won automatic promotion the following year, then finished 7th in League One.

He took over at Morecambe with the Shrimps bottom of the league with 13 points from 17 games. They were fourth from bottom when the season was stopped due to Covid, and then followed that up with winning the League Two play-offs in that fan-less season.

He left Morecambe that summer to take over at Bradford, where it didn’t quite work out, but he’s not the first and won’t be the last manager to suffer that fate at Valley Parade.

In the interest of balance; he did also get relegated from League One when back at Morecambe last season, but he had taken over the season before that when the club was in the relegation zone and had them finish 19th. When he left them again back in November, they were 2 points of the League Two play-offs with 2 games in hand.

You can argue that it hasn’t worked out for him most recently at Ross County as well, and you’d be right, but I think right now we desperately need an experienced manager to organise and discipline a horribly dysfunctional team, and Derek Adams looks to me about as good as anything we can realistically hope for.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 123
Poojah
February 20, 2024, 1:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,540
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from jamesgtfc

That’s also not the worst suggestion I’ve seen. Aldershot had a cracking cup run this season too, putting 7 past Swindon on their own turf (just think what they’d do to us!).

The main argument against is “why leave a secure job for this crock of shít”, but you’re right in that he did a very similar thing to join Aldershot in the first place. Not sure where he’s based, but we’re certainly closer to “home” and the club for whom he made the most appearances during his career.

You never know…

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 123
jamesgtfc
February 20, 2024, 1:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Mappers

A question more than any sort of opinion -

Are we a decent prospect for an up and coming young manager with a recent record of sucess ?

If Artell was to be sacked now, I don't think you could say that our board are trigger happy, a quick glance through our results this year suggests it's gone pear shaped and change needs to happen. Looking further back at Hurst's reign shows evidence that the board do give managers time.

Widdrington is a late entrant to the world of football management, but he's been heavily involved in recruitment, scouting, coaching and as a Director of Football for a number of years previously. However, his last two roles have started with the club facing relegation from the National League. King's Lynn went down but their budget was tiny as they gave up the previous season when the leagues below curtailed due to Covid. He transformed them last season and they were in the top 2 when he left to manage Aldershot for the final 6 games. Aldershot currently occupy the last play-off place in the National League and King's Lynn occupy the final relegation spot in the league below.

In terms of what Poojah has just said about Aldershot having a good cup run this season, King's Lynn had a decent run in the FA Cup last season, holding Stevenage off for 45 minutes before they went through the gears in a few second half minutes.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 123
chaos33
February 20, 2024, 1:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Both of those look good shouts.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 123
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › When Artell goes who do you want next.?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.