Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › When Artell goes who do you want next.?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

When Artell goes who do you want next.?

This thread currently has 9,875 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
February 18, 2024, 9:51am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56
Have they sacked him yet and if not why not?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 123
davmariner
February 18, 2024, 9:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Have they sacked him yet and if not why not?

The data’s being analysed…

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 123
gtfc_chris
February 18, 2024, 9:59am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from MaccasBoots
Very funny how 90% of this forum want Artell gone yet no on has a serious suggestion for a replacement.

I find it’s the same with the owners too, having briefly looked at that thread.

It’s not hard to understand when things are going as badly as they have done recently, especially at home, that people get frustrated and angry, I count myself in that group.

In turn it’s not unreasonable that people want to see changes or at the very least assurances that we will be better. Football doesn’t work that way though and DA could tell us he’s figured it out and we’ll be winning games as of next week, all that is is a rope to hang himself with. No-one can guarantee if/when anything will change.

I said the same for 20 years when JF used to get slated for his managerial appointments, in that owners do not have a crystal ball that predicts the success of the next manager. They can only do so much in their thoroughness to identify who they believe is the right guy which is all just words, presentation and CVs, which as we know don’t always paint the picture of the future.

My needle is more towards the DA out and if he goes then SP and BD are my choice. I thought they took a balanced PH team and gave it a little more freedom to express going forward and was the tweak needed to get more points than we were getting. It wasn’t revolutionary but it moved our direction to a positive bearing and who knows how that might have progressed over time.

The reality is everyone on here could throw a name, sensible or other but no-one has a clue whether they’d do well or not, it just isn’t that simple. It’s why I close the fishy tab when I read some tool saying ‘I was right about Artell’ as though it’s a badge of honour and has the personal insight to know the success of who comes in.

Although I don’t see the frustration on the pitch as fans being very demanding, it’s not unreasonable to want to see the basics done to a half decent standard, I think the flak the owners are getting is unbelievable!! I love how everyone is spending their money for them as though they’re just a bottomless pit of cash. Perhaps all those laying into the owners have a whip round and buy the club themselves? Given the ease they seem to think doing the job comes with it shouldn’t be that hard…?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 123
Poojah
February 18, 2024, 10:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,606
Gold Stars: 1,503
By definition, the out of work managers list isn’t particularly stellar at the minute. But Artell is statistically the worst Town manager of the 21st century and therefore probably of all time. It stands to reason that there has to be a better option out there somewhere.

Of those names that might be considered vaguely realistic, Derek Adams, Mark Bonner and Michael Appleton all have solid CVs and all would be new options since the last time we looked (or at least, were gainfully employed at the time).

Michael Flynn is another name I’ve seen mentioned. His record at Swindon and Walsall isn’t great, but he did get Newport out of a worse predicament than ours right now a few years back.

If we can’t tempt an experienced manager, and we may need to accept that we can’t, I still feel twisting on Pearson and Davies has to be a better option than sticking with Artell, who has made us unprecedentedly bad.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 123
toontown
February 18, 2024, 11:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Like most of us I was desperate for Artell to succeed, but it just hasn't worked out.

I loved his philosophy but I never realised he was quite so, er unique.

I watched him yesterday and even when we were in the game and at one point well on top he spends 50% of the time not watching the game. Talking, berating or arguing with people in and around the dugout. He gets the players in a huddle when there is a break in play and treats it like a training session.  At one point nobody seemed to want to resume the match and it is indicative of our complete lack of urgency and will to win.

Our recruitment under both Hurst and Artell has been very poor, and when we were crying out for a Waterfall type replacement we actually paid a fee for a very inexperienced and lightweight Blackpool fringe player who I think has been the worst.

There must be some sort of settlement clause in Artells contract, so we have to bite the bullet and let Pearson try to get us to safety and take the close season to reassess what we are doing wrong. The owners are finding out that football is such a unique industry and whatever they are hoping to achieve you simply cannot do it without extra money coming into the club otherwise you get the same result as Fenty but in a more caring way.

Genuine question, who is he arguing with? If it's the 4th official then presumably they all do that when it's going bad (and obviously it's going esp bad at the moment) so is that not just a symptom of how bad we are. Or is he arguing with others and if so who?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 123
GollyGTFC
February 18, 2024, 11:21am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Poojah
By definition, the out of work managers list isn’t particularly stellar at the minute. But Artell is statistically the worst Town manager of the 21st century and therefore probably of all time. It stands to reason that there has to be a better option out there somewhere.

Of those names that might be considered vaguely realistic, Derek Adams, Mark Bonner and Michael Appleton all have solid CVs and all would be new options since the last time we looked (or at least, were gainfully employed at the time).

Michael Flynn is another name I’ve seen mentioned. His record at Swindon and Walsall isn’t great, but he did get Newport out of a worse predicament than ours right now a few years back.

If we can’t tempt an experienced manager, and we may need to accept that we can’t, I still feel twisting on Pearson and Davies has to be a better option than sticking with Artell, who has made us unprecedentedly bad.

Adams & Flynn have both inherited clubs botton of L2 and steered them to safety.

Flynn did a remarkable job at Newport and Adams had Morecambe 22nd and 10 points clear of Stevenage who were bottom when COVID ended the season (it was the season when Bury had been expelled and we all knew 1 club were going down from the start of the season).

Flynn's results in staying up were more impressive, but Adams followed up survival with an unlikely promotion the following season.

Bonner inherited Cambridge in 16th place and 9 points clear of the bottom side (in the season when only 1 club was going down).

Appleton... meh.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 35 - 123
golfer
February 18, 2024, 1:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,445
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from toontown

Genuine question, who is he arguing with? If it's the 4th official then presumably they all do that when it's going bad (and obviously it's going esp bad at the moment) so is that not just a symptom of how bad we are. Or is he arguing with others and if so who?

It must have been Black and White Bear who argues with anybody over everthing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 123
The Caterham Mariner
February 18, 2024, 1:16pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +91
Gold Stars: 8
[quote=2226]
I'd go for the Widow Twankey.[/quote

AND sell some players for a bag of magic beans
Then rub the lamp and get 3 wishes.
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 123
fishcake63
February 18, 2024, 1:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
mark bonner or luke garrard
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 123
Swansea_Mariner
February 18, 2024, 1:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,455
Gold Stars: 63
Derek Adams does look the best available. Get him in till the end of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 123
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › When Artell goes who do you want next.?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.