Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › To the Owners (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

To the Owners (merged)

This thread currently has 31,268 views. Print
42 Pages Prev ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerMal
February 19, 2024, 12:54pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +783
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Poojah

This is something I really struggle to wrap my head around. To the best of my knowledge, there is no mandatory template set out by the LMA or FA which dictates that there must be X amount of compensation in the event that the club wishes to terminate the contract early.

I appreciate that the manager has his own interests, but Artell was already out of work and there are far more unemployed managers than there are available positions at any given time. Surely the power is in the hands of the club.

I know that the kind of fixed-term contracts commonplace in football are different to most “real world” employment contracts, but surely clubs have the power to protect themselves against gross underperformance?

I say this admittedly not as a student of contract law or as someone totally au fait with the minutiae of the world of football, but if the club has left itself in a position where it is seriously cost prohibitive to remove the manager from his post in the context of the circus on the pitch, then it seems naive to say the least.

Happy to be corrected by anyone who knows more about the subject matter than I do, however.

The idea when trying to attract a new manager is to make the club as attractive as possible. Putting the sort of clauses in the contract that have been mentioned on here would make most perspective managers think twice before accepting a contact at a club that has been struggling for over a decade. I don't think many managers would sign such a contract given situations in a football club can develop that are largely out of their control.

I'm not sure if it would be the case with Artell but if he were to be fired. There have been occasions with other managers at other clubs where the agreement is they will continue to be paid their weekly wage/monthly salary until the end of the contract or their next appointment, whichever comes sooner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 280 - 412
lew chaterleys lover
February 19, 2024, 1:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,768
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from MarinerMal

The idea when trying to attract a new manager is to make the club as attractive as possible. Putting the sort of clauses in the contract that have been mentioned on here would make most perspective managers think twice before accepting a contact at a club that has been struggling for over a decade. I don't think many managers would sign such a contract given situations in a football club can develop that are largely out of their control.

I'm not sure if it would be the case with Artell but if he were to be fired. There have been occasions with other managers at other clubs where the agreement is they will continue to be paid their weekly wage/monthly salary until the end of the contract or their next appointment, whichever comes sooner.

Well in this case that would mean till the end of the contract wouldn't it?!

The owners have been done up like a kipper if that's the case but I can't believe there aren't clauses to mitigate against such a scenario.
Private Message
Reply: 281 - 412
TwoLeftFeet
February 19, 2024, 1:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
Surely there's no chance we have to pay any manager sacked the full remaining salary in this case best part of 2.5 years..I would expect any business to have protected against this outcome with maybe a 6 month payoff or similar..

If we haven't that would be crazy and I'm sure DA wasn't so much in demand that he would have been afforded that..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 282 - 412
MarinerMal
February 19, 2024, 1:24pm
Snakebite drinker
Contracts are an agreement between at least two parties. If one party breaks the terms of the contract they could be liable to 'breach of contract' which could end up costing even more.

Of course, if DA agrees to an early termination a fee could be negotiated between the interested parties, which could be much less.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 283 - 412
Mappers
February 19, 2024, 1:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,503
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Surely there's no chance we have to pay any manager sacked the full remaining salary in this case best part of 2.5 years..I would expect any business to have protected against this outcome with maybe a 6 month payoff or similar..

If we haven't that would be crazy and I'm sure DA wasn't so much in demand that he would have been afforded that..

Wouldn't suprise me if he had the better end of any termination  .

A good used car salesman , with your vehicle breaking down as you drive it off the forecourt .

Sells the dream

It wouldn't even suprise me if the rumour of a bust up with Thompson is true , imagine the scenario .

Sign a well thought of midfield player who's had a good career higher up , even a promotion to the Championship with Wycombe .

Artell 'I am going to change how you play , you are my new Xavi '

*Thompson  looks gone out , after playing his whole  career as a tenacious box to box player *

You might be able to coach young kids at Crewe and develop them , but attempting to do the same with senior pros over 30 isn't going to happen .

I normally don't get too annoyed about Town or managers , but he's  managed it and seemingly more as the days go on .

Astounded the removal didn't happen , it's actually beyond words as I think it's too far gone and the damage is done .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 284 - 412
MuddyWaters
February 19, 2024, 1:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Mappers

Wouldn't suprise me if he had the better end of any termination  .

A good used car salesman , with your vehicle breaking down as you drive it off the forecourt .

Sells the dream

If I remember correctly, didn't the legal process hold up his appointment?
Private Message
Reply: 285 - 412
MarinerMal
February 19, 2024, 1:31pm
Snakebite drinker

Well in this case that would mean till the end of the contract wouldn't it?!

The owners have been done up like a kipper if that's the case but I can't believe there aren't clauses to mitigate against such a scenario.

Nobody has been 'done up like a kipper' here. Things just don't seem to have worked out here (at least, yet) and that happens in football all the time. The owners want to play certain brand of football and DA had achieved promotion from this division in the recent past so on paper seemed a good fit. I don't remember too many fans at the time calling it a bad appointment.

Looking at the stats from some of our recent games suggest we haven't been as bad as some have made out (Donny scored 5 goals with 4 shots on target on Saturday) but it is a results driven business and results have been shocking, there is no way of getting away from that. But it shows the fine lines in football and no appointment, especially at this level, is ever guaranteed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 286 - 412
arryarryarry
February 19, 2024, 1:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 117
"we haven't been as bad as some made out"

Have you been to the games?

We've been garbage.
Private Message
Reply: 287 - 412
Mallyner
February 19, 2024, 1:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from MarinerMal

Nobody has been 'done up like a kipper' here. Things just don't seem to have worked out here (at least, yet) and that happens in football all the time. The owners want to play certain brand of football and DA had achieved promotion from this division in the recent past so on paper seemed a good fit. I don't remember too many fans at the time calling it a bad appointment.

Looking at the stats from some of our recent games suggest we haven't been as bad as some have made out (Donny scored 5 goals with 4 shots on target on Saturday) but it is a results driven business and results have been shocking, there is no way of getting away from that. But it shows the fine lines in football and no appointment, especially at this level, is ever guaranteed.

There have been some truly shocking moments and results, but I can sense an unlikely good result at Morecambe and if we then follow up with wins in the 2 games against the bottom teams, the picture could change. We can't afford to ship lots more goals, as at the moment the 12 goal difference between them is worth a point; and  we have 1 and 2 game advantages.

I am as urined off as anybody; but I can't see a managerial change coming up.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 288 - 412
Maringer
February 19, 2024, 1:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,675
Gold Stars: 189
I certainly agree that we've deserved to lose the games, but I think the recent scorelines have been a bit more startling than they might normally have been, especially as League Two footballers don't tend to be quite this clinical with their finishing. Absolutely no mucking around from Donny at the weekend - every shot tucked away nicely with only one of them that our keeper might have done anything about.

The Walsall game started it all off. I left the ground thinking we hadn't been all that bad (and we were decent for much of the first half), yet we'd got absolutely battered on the scoreboard. A game where they scored with almost every shot on target, one of many.

I think it is only partially down to the fact that we've played poorly at times. It has coincided with a spell where the opposition are slotting away almost every chance they create (or are given by our crap midfield and defence).

Not claiming the team is due any leeway here, however. You can't concede 4 goals a game and expect to get anything.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 289 - 412
42 Pages Prev ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › To the Owners (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.