Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › To the Owners (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

To the Owners (merged)

This thread currently has 30,879 views. Print
42 Pages Prev ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
February 22, 2024, 11:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,725
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Maringer

I suspect it is just an extension of the 'anti-data' thread(s). "What did the Romans (data) ever do for us", etc etc.

The owners are advocates of a data-led approach and therefore are considered entirely to blame, for some reason or other.

On that note, I'm an advocate of analysing data correctly in all areas of life (we wouldn't have civilisation without it), but I do wonder if there is a situation where the use of data in the lower divisions shouldn't be given as much attention as at higher levels? In the top couple of divisions, the players tend to be able to control even difficult balls on 9 out of 10 occasions and are probably accurate for more than 95 out of 100 basic passes. If the 'data' assumes every player can do the basics pretty much all of the time, the data they are going to be looking at will be from other aspects of play. Unfortunately, I don't think that our players control the ball on 9 out of 10 occasions and I'd had to even guess what their completion ratio for even simple passes might be. Might explain why the 'data' hasn't led us to sign players who are struggling to impose themselves.

I pride myself as being the biggest anti data poster on here,  and you quite rightly say data (or information as we used to quaintly call it) is indeed partly responsible for mankind's progress.

What we are talking about though is specifically data in a football context, apart from the incontrovertible data of the final score and league table. Everything else is just guff, as we have seen on countless occasions. Players coming with stats that might look good (or bad) in one team, and be completely different in another. That is because everything IS different.

Neither am I bothered about how many goals we nearly scored, or how many corners we got.

I don't care how many analysts we use, ten would come to 10 different conclusions and the PL employ the best there is but still manage to waste millions of pounds on players.
Private Message
Reply: 380 - 412
GrimPol
February 22, 2024, 11:34am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Maringer

I suspect it is just an extension of the 'anti-data' thread(s). "What did the Romans (data) ever do for us", etc etc.

The owners are advocates of a data-led approach and therefore are considered entirely to blame, for some reason or other.

On that note, I'm an advocate of analysing data correctly in all areas of life (we wouldn't have civilisation without it), but I do wonder if there is a situation where the use of data in the lower divisions shouldn't be given as much attention as at higher levels? In the top couple of divisions, the players tend to be able to control even difficult balls on 9 out of 10 occasions and are probably accurate for more than 95 out of 100 basic passes. If the 'data' assumes every player can do the basics pretty much all of the time, the data they are going to be looking at will be from other aspects of play. Unfortunately, I don't think that our players control the ball on 9 out of 10 occasions and I'd had to even guess what their completion ratio for even simple passes might be. Might explain why the 'data' hasn't led us to sign players who are struggling to impose themselves.

True.
We sometimes delude ourselves and forget that League 2 is actually 4th Tier. Data leading decisions have been embedded in Premier (top league) for some time as Clubs are looking for an edge with their £500 million team against the opposing £ 500 million team. Some in our team cannot trap the ball properly, our free kicks are in a vague direction, and our corners are more dangerous to us than the opposition as it's a springboard for a counterattack. Just because all horses have four legs, a head and a tail, it doesn't mean you should have plough horses running a steeplechase, nor race horses ploughing. They would give it a go but........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 381 - 412
mariner91
February 22, 2024, 12:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,661
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from GrimPol

True.
We sometimes delude ourselves and forget that League 2 is actually 4th Tier. Data leading decisions have been embedded in Premier (top league) for some time as Clubs are looking for an edge with their £500 million team against the opposing £ 500 million team. Some in our team cannot trap the ball properly, our free kicks are in a vague direction, and our corners are more dangerous to us than the opposition as it's a springboard for a counterattack. Just because all horses have four legs, a head and a tail, it doesn't mean you should have plough horses running a steeplechase, nor race horses ploughing. They would give it a go but........

This made me laugh out loud because it's so depressingly true.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 382 - 412
friskneymariner
February 22, 2024, 12:57pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Data Analyses has now become a multi million pound industry.To justify their own existence it adopts the jargon of professionalisation .This is purely in order to obfuscate and elevate the mystique of their analyses.This occurs in all walks of industry and science,it is nothing more than modern day quackery ,the purpose of which is to hold the masses in awe.Do not swallow it.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 383 - 412
MuddyWaters
February 22, 2024, 1:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from mariner91

This made me laugh out loud because it's so depressingly true.

It is depressingly true and you can use whatever data and highly paid analysts you like, it surely can’t legislate for you defending like a pub team.
Private Message
Reply: 384 - 412
GrimRob
February 22, 2024, 1:20pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,415
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from friskneymariner
Data Analyses has now become a multi million pound industry.To justify their own existence it adopts the jargon of professionalisation .This is purely in order to obfuscate and elevate the mystique of their analyses.This occurs in all walks of industry and science,it is nothing more than modern day quackery ,the purpose of which is to hold the masses in awe.Do not swallow it.

What data are we actually using though? There can't have been much for DA's appointment as he hadn't worked for 18 months. Maybe a bit on sacking PH but virtually everyone thought it should be done when the axe fell. Maybe a bit on recruitment but many of the new players in their first interviews said Grimsby had been tracking them for a while? The only reason to keep DA on is lack of data, i.e. he's not had long enough. "The Grimsby Way" seems to have been selected based on nostalgia, it hasn't been seen since medieval times anyway in data terms.

I am all for using data in all sorts of areas but just because we keep mentioning it doesn't mean it is being used effectively.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 385 - 412
davmariner
February 22, 2024, 1:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
The most important data we should be looking at, at the moment is the league table, and Artell’s record to date. Which begs the question, why is he still here?

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 386 - 412
arryarryarry
February 22, 2024, 2:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Meza
I’m a bit confused about this thread.  Why are some having a go at the owners I don’t think in my eyes they have done anything wrong.  The manager appointment is always a bit of a lottery and even they wouldn’t have known for things to turn out a bit crap.  They have stated since day one that they want the club to be self sufficient so when they move on the club won’t be in a crap position when handing it over.  Take for instance the training ground maybe it’s taking a while because they aren’t paying for it out their own pocket but from ticket sales and players sold (JF would have put this on a benign loan).  I think they had done well considering how much they had to deal with since coming in.  Sacking PH was not something they took lightly and probably wanted PH to turn it around and maybe gave him more time despite the data, but fan pressure probably did it for PH.    

Am I the only one on here that thinks they are doing the best they can under the circumstances.  I certainly don’t blame them for the position at present.  They have done more for this club than JF ever did.

So who do you think is to blame for the excrement performances and being 3rd from bottom of the EFL?

John Fenty
Russell Slade
Marcus Bignot
Mike Lyons
Don McEvoy
Bill Harvey
Peter Grotier
Graham Rodger
Stuart Watkiss
Neil Woods
And any other excrement managers I can't think of.

The girls and boys in the office
The Stewards
The ball boys and girls

The fans

Private Message
Reply: 387 - 412
paulmblythe
February 22, 2024, 2:22pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 2

I pride myself as being the biggest anti data poster on here,  and you quite rightly say data (or information as we used to quaintly call it) is indeed partly responsible for mankind's progress.

What we are talking about though is specifically data in a football context, apart from the incontrovertible data of the final score and league table. Everything else is just guff, as we have seen on countless occasions. Players coming with stats that might look good (or bad) in one team, and be completely different in another. That is because everything IS different.

Neither am I bothered about how many goals we nearly scored, or how many corners we got.

I don't care how many analysts we use, ten would come to 10 different conclusions and the PL employ the best there is but still manage to waste millions of pounds on players.

I have to agree up to a point. Data can't be read in isolation. An obvious example might be a striker scores 20 goals a season at a club. He's signed based on this, moves and get 5 at his next club. The missing bit of data is the rest of the team getting the ball into a position so that he can score at his previous club. If the team he moves to dont have that ability then he cant score as many
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 388 - 412
MuddyWaters
February 22, 2024, 2:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236
Which bit of data dictated that we allow one of the few decent footballers at the club out on loan?

WTF is going on?
Private Message
Reply: 389 - 412
42 Pages Prev ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › To the Owners (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.