Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › “If” Artell does go…..
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

“If” Artell does go…..

This thread currently has 5,701 views. Print
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 11:03am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,939
Gold Stars: 228
Well someone has to ask the question, and I’m not trying to be divisive or trolling but what happens if Artell does get fired before the end of the season?

From what I’ve seen of 1878 it’s still a big “if” and I suspect they’ll stick with him regardless of the consequences.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
GrimRob
February 11, 2024, 11:08am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,409
Gold Stars: 113
Has to be Shaun and Ben to the end of the season. Then decide in the summer. They know the players, have been privvy to every discussion and have already done a good job in a transition period. The last thing we want is a third voice going down a different path.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 81
NorthseaMariner
February 11, 2024, 11:10am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
I guess you have to give him time, I suppose. But I have to admit it’s a really hard watch at the moment. If we’re going to continue playing out from the back, then the players have to be competent to do this and some I’m not sure that they are.
If we can get a couple of wins this week, then the whole outlook is much better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 81
davmariner
February 11, 2024, 11:11am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,934
Gold Stars: 79
Shaun and Ben are the best chance we have of staying up now. We saw them starting to put the foundations in place for stability and we should go back to that.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 81
StacyColdicotts_hairline
February 11, 2024, 11:12am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Approval: +203
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from GrimRob
Has to be Shaun and Ben to the end of the season. Then decide in the summer. They know the players, have been privvy to every discussion and have already done a good job in a transition period. The last thing we want is a third voice going down a different path.

Its clear you haven't rated Artell for a while now Rob. How many points does he need to win over the next 7 days to keep himself in a job ?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 81
GrimRob
February 11, 2024, 11:18am

Its clear you haven't rated Artell for a while now Rob. How many points does he need to win over the next 7 days to keep himself in a job ?

Personally I would sack him today and be organising it right now. But given that it won't happen I would only be happy with 3 or 4 points. I suspect he will be sacked after Doncaster, as was Hurst.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 5 - 81
toontown
February 11, 2024, 11:20am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Well someone has to ask the question, and I’m not trying to be divisive or trolling but what happens if Artell does get fired before the end of the season?

From what I’ve seen of 1878 it’s still a big “if” and I suspect they’ll stick with him regardless of the consequences.

I fear that they will stick with him as it will be so expensive to get rid having handed him a 2.5 year deal. I assume there is a break clause that means we can get rid for nothing if he takes us down but for that to happen obviously the worst possible outcome has to happen.
Just maybe there is a clause that is in our favour to get rid of certain targets aren't reached or something that can trigger a sacking for little cost during the early few months, but I think that's highly unlikely.

The only thing I can think that might trigger it is complete capitulation, two defeats next week, such that they have to act. The body language of the players is awful already, they've got eyes like the rest of us. It will mean a much reduced budget next season tho as the conte money will just go to pay off Artell I guess.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 81
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 11:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

Personally I would sack him today and be organising it right now. But given that it won't happen I would only be happy with 3 or 4 points. I suspect he will be sacked after Doncaster, as was Hurst.

Donny could be the new Grim(sby) reaper 😂

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 81
sam gy
February 11, 2024, 11:27am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
I’d love to know just why all of a sudden Pearson is the answer. Finished playing just last season and was only hired in a scouting role by Hurst if I remember rightly? And then since Hurst left he’s been part of the coaching set up.

If anything I think it’s quite criminal that Artell hasn’t brought in an assistant.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 81
toontown
February 11, 2024, 11:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

I think 2 draws will be enough to keep his head above water with the owners for the time being. Whether it's enough to keep our heads above water depends on what the bottom 2 do I suppose.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 81
It Bites
February 11, 2024, 11:36am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,195
Gold Stars: 265
I’ve said it loads of times . Artell should of been allowed to bring his own team in who understand what he wants .JS has fooked up by trying to be loyal to the back room staff . If they got a better offer they’d be off like a shot . Hire the best people for the job like he would of done in his own business.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 81
The Caterham Mariner
February 11, 2024, 11:47am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +86
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Yes a horrible question to ask but given the circumstances of the situation we are in, You are being practical and realistic to look at / think of options to save this scenario.Again its down to the "1878" as to how they want to play it out.
Like you i think he will hold out to the end of the season scary as its 15 games left =50 /50 IF we stay up  Joys of being a Grimsby Town Fan.

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 81
February 11, 2024, 11:52am
Guest User
Quoted from GrimRob

Shaun and Ben who were part of the coaching staff under PH disastrous reign, and also part of DA backroom staff too?  And have had practically no experience in managing a football club apart from a handful of games, two of which were against a part time lower league club!  No thank you.
Reply: 12 - 81
GrimRob
February 11, 2024, 11:56am

Quoted from It Bites
I’ve said it loads of times . Artell should of been allowed to bring his own team in who understand what he wants .JS has fooked up by trying to be loyal to the back room staff . If they got a better offer they’d be off like a shot . Hire the best people for the job like he would of done in his own business.

In "normal" businesses if an employee leaves you just replace them. You don't make the whole department redundant. You either promote from within or bring in a new person. I thought the owners were trying to move away from a Messianic manager anyway and making it more of a team game. We're all locked into the old way of thinking that a single person makes all the decisions.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 13 - 81
davmariner
February 11, 2024, 12:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 123614

Shaun and Ben who were part of the coaching staff under PH disastrous reign, and also part of DA backroom staff too?  And have had practically no experience in managing a football club apart from a handful of games, two of which were against a part time lower league club!  No thank you.

Disastrous reign? He got us promoted back to the EFL. You are a bit odd aren’t you?

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 81
February 11, 2024, 12:01pm
Guest User
Quoted from davmariner

Disastrous reign? He got us promoted back to the EFL. You are a bit odd aren’t you?

Have you conveniently forgotten where we was in the League when he was sacked?

Reply: 15 - 81
LocalLadGTFC
February 11, 2024, 12:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,219
Gold Stars: 137
Funnily enough, I think IF we stay up then he'll probably have us playing decent football next year and a lot closer to the playoffs than the bottom two. We've just got to stay up, maybe a bit of blind hope more than anything but we've all seen the fruits of it's labor and when we're good we are very good going forward and then we was very good defensively at Accrington. The problem is, these good performances have all been away from home. BP hasn't been a fortress since coming back up, we was awful last year at home and even worse this year. Crewe at home is the only good performance we've turned in at home under Artell, the rest have been appalling and well below the standards. You can argue County all you want but we still conceded 5. Fans have rightly had enough because it started long before he arrived. We've been served shite for a long time at home. I was very for the way we play but I can't watch Rodgers and Maher fanny about with it whilst Holohan and Clifton hide behind there central midfielders any longer and then pump the ball into Row Z or back to Cartwright who then hits it long to Danny Rose who has absolotely no chance of winning it and IF he does then they pick up the second ball because there's no one within a 20 yard radius of him. Could go down to any Sunday League pitch this morning and you'll hear the words ' gamble on the flick ' screamed 50 times, it's schoolboy stuff yet our professional footballers don't seem to have a clue. To play the way we do, you need a keeper good with his feet as well as two centre halfs. The amount of times Hinchcliffe started an attack for them yesterday because he had precision with his kicking made it impossible for us to press them. They had a plan A, B, C & D. I think you could argue we didn't even have a plan A. I'm not going to write off Artell this early purely due to the fact this squad of players has already got one good man sacked playing a completely different style of play but we need 4 points this week purely for his own sake and to get some fans back on side.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 81
LH
February 11, 2024, 12:27pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,526
Gold Stars: 173
I’m adamant that he won’t be going anywhere any time soon.*

*that should do it.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 81
headingly_mariner
February 11, 2024, 12:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,365
I think we will get a couple of results. He will be forced to play Vernam who will stretch teams and we are playing against weaker sides.
We were decent against Accrington, just a crazy way to set up against Stockport.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 81
lew chaterleys lover
February 11, 2024, 12:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,714
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from It Bites

I think that's a fair point and furthermore I think the owners have been a bit naive.

Nobody is going to give you an inch in professional sport, yet they seem to want to be all nice and cuddly with everyone.  How is the special relationship with Luton going that they thought would happen when we sold our best player to them and got Pepple in return? Where are the investors queuing up who hold their "same values"?

The endless talk about projects and pathways and the Grimsby way and metrics of one sort or another are just a sideshow. I think you can conduct yourself in business in a fair and equitable manner without making it front and centre of everything in a patronising sort of way.

Neither can you be sustainable unless you can even reach first base, or unless you are happy to be among the dead men forever.

Football is a cut throat business and very very expensive so I can't see any of their grand plans coming to fruition sadly even though the fans have backed them
with gate receipts/ season tickets.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 81
Poojah
February 11, 2024, 1:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,554
Gold Stars: 1,500
Interesting that we find ourselves in the same sequence of fixtures that we were in when Hurst was sacked. Despite a more respectable defeat to Stockport than yesterday’s capitulation, Hurst couldn’t survive defeats to Colchester and Doncaster. I’d be surprised if Artell could.

If that happens, it feels like reverting to the more pragmatic, back to basics approach installed by Pearson and Davies is as good an option as any likely to be available to us.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 81
February 11, 2024, 1:03pm
Guest User
I still cannot grasp that we are in this position. I just can’t fǔcking believe it.
Reply: 21 - 81
chaos33
February 11, 2024, 1:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
I was told that the owners and the staff rate Shaun and that makes me think that if Artell gets himself fired - and he will if there are 3 or 4 more sh1t results in Feb and March and the entire fan base is in conflict with the manager and owners - then they would be content with that contingency plan and would hope to scrape through with a model that is more pragmatic and conservative. I suspect that Artell not bringing in his own assistant and basically being told that Shaun is the number 2 was precisely to provide some fall back if it goes t1ts - which it clearly has.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 81
GrimRob
February 11, 2024, 1:15pm

Quoted from 140381
I still cannot grasp that we are in this position. I just can’t fǔcking believe it.

I can. In the last 20 years we've either been near the bottom of League Two or the top of the National League almost all the time, a narrow range of about a dozen league places. The transition between these 12 places is the subject of over a million posts on here. Whatever we try and do we're always in roughly the same place.

Anyone under 30 will have known nothing else. Almost every manager that has been sacked is because we haven't been doing very well in League 2. It really seems to be the Grimsby Way.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 23 - 81
davmariner
February 11, 2024, 1:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner
I think we will get a couple of results. He will be forced to play Vernam who will stretch teams and we are playing against weaker sides.
We were decent against Accrington, just a crazy way to set up against Stockport.

We were not decent against Accrington. They just had no attacking threat whatsoever. To put it into context, Accy have only scored one more goal than us so far this season.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 81
GrimRob
February 11, 2024, 1:23pm

Quoted from davmariner

We were not decent against Accrington. They just had no attacking threat whatsoever. To put it into context, Accy have only scored one more goal than us so far this season.

Accrington missed a golden chance right at the start of the game as well. Stockport punished almost every early mistake.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 25 - 81
MuddyWaters
February 11, 2024, 1:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 236
Think people are forgetting how new Shaun is to coaching.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 81
chaos33
February 11, 2024, 1:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

I can. In the last 20 years we've either been near the bottom of League Two or the top of the National League almost all the time, a narrow range of about a dozen league places. The transition between these 12 places is the subject of over a million posts on here. Whatever we try and do we're always in roughly the same place.

Anyone under 30 will have known nothing else. Almost every manager that has been sacked is because we haven't been doing very well in League 2. It really seems to be the Grimsby Way.

Yeah, interesting. I was going to ask ….’what is this Grimsby way’ thing? I presume it’s some notion of being a passing team that entertains and wins, but then, there’s nothing particularly exclusive to Grimsby about that. Doesn’t every club say that’s what they want?

Seems to me that ‘the Grimsby way’ means perpetually struggling to manage in the bottom division of the EFL despite having a bigger income and better support than more than half of whoever else occupies that league and shows us how it’s done better for and with less. This season see - Barrow, Morecambe, Harrogate, Accrington, Crawley, Salford, Wimbledon, Newport etc etc

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 81
mariner91
February 11, 2024, 1:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,652
Gold Stars: 261

Nobody is going to give you an inch in professional sport, yet they seem to want to be all nice and cuddly with everyone.  

That extends to the team though. We’ve got nobody who is willing to do the dark arts other than Rose and Green. And Green’s shortcomings as a footballer have been discussed to death on here. Look at the second goal yesterday, Clifton literally jumps out the way to allow their quick free kick. Just fooking stand there and take the yellow to stop us going two down. I know Hurst liked having “good” characters but we need some nasty feckers in our team so we stop gift wrapping points to the opposition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 81
arryarryarry
February 11, 2024, 1:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,046
Gold Stars: 116
I posted in one of the threads yesterday, lose the next two games he should be toast.

I suppose it depends on how the owners feel about the excrement show that will come their way should we get relegated.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 81
lew chaterleys lover
February 11, 2024, 1:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,714
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from mariner91

That extends to the team though. We’ve got nobody who is willing to do the dark arts other than Rose and Green. And Green’s shortcomings as a footballer have been discussed to death on here. Look at the second goal yesterday, Clifton literally jumps out the way to allow their quick free kick. Just fooking stand there and take the yellow to stop us going two down. I know Hurst liked having “good” characters but we need some nasty feckers in our team so we stop gift wrapping points to the opposition.

Totally agree. We are such nice people at Grimsby Town we hand the games to the opposition on a plate.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 81
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 2:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Totally agree. We are such nice people at Grimsby Town we hand the games to the opposition on a plate.

Artell even said that when he arrived that other sides thought Grimsby was a good place to get an away win.

I’m personally split on whether he should have brought another coach in considering he’s been recruited as head coach and clearly wants to get his hands dirty every day instead of setting up the dart board.

In hindsight someone who had coached at this level for a couple of other clubs may have added value.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 81
Poojah
February 11, 2024, 2:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Yeah, interesting. I was going to ask ….’what is this Grimsby way’ thing? I presume it’s some notion of being a passing team that entertains and wins, but then, there’s nothing particularly exclusive to Grimsby about that. Doesn’t every club say that’s what they want?

Seems to me that ‘the Grimsby way’ means perpetually struggling to manage in the bottom division of the EFL despite having a bigger income and better support than more than half of whoever else occupies that league and shows us how it’s done better for and with less. This season see - Barrow, Morecambe, Harrogate, Accrington, Crawley, Salford, Wimbledon, Newport etc etc

I think we all know that Stockwood’s inference is that “the Grimsby way” is a nod to the Buckley football of the late 80s and 90s, with the club consistently punching above its weight and not just beating much bigger clubs on a regular basis, but playing them off the park.

But the simple notion that Buckley teams were solely about sexy, pass and move football overlooks one important thing. His teams were always full of grit. Yes, you had to be able to play a bit, but those teams had players who were, to all intents and purposes, as hard as nails. Livvo, Groves, Cunnington, Lever, Rees, Pouton, just off the top of my head.

Not withstanding the fact we can’t currently do the tippy tapping stuff very well either, this is a huge part of the Grimsby identity that is completely missing at the moment. Blundell Park is a place that will always respond positively to effort and commitment, and we saw none of that yesterday, with the notable exception of Danny Rose. Other than him, I don’t see anyone I’d want beside me in the trenches.

It doesn’t matter what brand of football you try to play, we are absolutely spineless. Like some invertebrate, football playing bowl of primordial soup. For as long as that remains the case, we will remain in deep, deep trouble.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 81
LocalLadGTFC
February 11, 2024, 2:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,219
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Poojah

I think we all know that Stockwood’s inference is that “the Grimsby way” is a nod to the Buckley football of the late 80s and 90s, with the club consistently punching above its weight and not just beating much bigger clubs on a regular basis, but playing them off the park.

But the simple notion that Buckley teams were solely about sexy, pass and move football overlooks one important thing. His teams were always full of grit. Yes, you had to be able to play a bit, but those teams had players who were, to all intents and purposes, as hard as nails. Livvo, Groves, Cunnington, Lever, Rees, Pouton, just off the top of my head.

Not withstanding the fact we can’t currently do the tippy tapping stuff very well either, this is a huge part of the Grimsby identity that is completely missing at the moment. Blundell Park is a place that will always respond positively to effort and commitment, and we saw none of that yesterday, with the notable exception of Danny Rose. Other than him, I don’t see anyone I’d want beside me in the trenches.

It doesn’t matter what brand of football you try to play, we are absolutely spineless. Like some invertebrate, football playing bowl of primordial soup. For as long as that remains the case, we will remain in deep, deep trouble.

Exactly what the Stockport comms were eluding to, they've known Grimsby to always be blood and thunder and respond well to effort. I'm not the biggest fan of Green but he very much brings that when he comes on.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 81
ginnywings
February 11, 2024, 2:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,140
Gold Stars: 548
People keep saying Green is limited, but he looks head and shoulders better than Holohan, who can't control and pass a ball to save his life.

We looked much better with him in the middle and he very rarely gave the ball away.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 81
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 2:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Been saying since October that this set are complete fannies. Up until this season Hurst’s sides had heart & resilience and a few lads away from whoever was skipper willing to take accountability. Whether that was by upping the work rate, directing others around the park or just being a Max style sh1touse when required.

Regardless of the outcome of this season I wouldn’t want to see any of the current out of contract players here next season, and a few contracted ones need to consider if they truly want to be here.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 81
mariner91
February 11, 2024, 3:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
People keep saying Green is limited, but he looks head and shoulders better than Holohan, who can't control and pass a ball to save his life.

We looked much better with him in the middle and he very rarely gave the ball away.

Holohan is one of those classic players who get better when they’re not in the team. He hides from the ball when we have it and regularly loses it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 81
grimsby pete
February 11, 2024, 3:06pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,799
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from 123614

Every man who has managed a club never had any experience of doing it before he actually did it.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 81
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 11, 2024, 3:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,692
Quoted from ginnywings

I’m in the Green’s limited camp but what the bloke has is character and determination and he showed a great willingness to take the ball off the back four which neither Holohan or Clifton are willing to do. I suspect this is because neither has a good touch and they are petrified, particularly at BP, of making a mistake and those who said Conteh wouldn’t be missed must have quickly realised that isn’t the case.

After watching Thompson yesterday I am not convinced by his fitness but would look at playing him and Green in front of the back four. I would have Vernam wide with Rose and Pyke/Wilson down the middle working as a pair and making sure the front three aren’t so isolated. Behind them I would choose Hunt but accept that’s unlikely so maybe Andrews or Arthur in that role.

But not only are we playing as a poor team we are also probably the smallest and least physical side I have ever seen town put out so set pieces are not a real goal threat when we are attacking and conversely they are massive when we are defending.

Worrying times.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 81
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 3:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Holohan is one of those classic players who get better when they’re not in the team. He hides from the ball when we have it and regularly loses it.

Add to that he tends to stop running when he loses it.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 81
toontown
February 11, 2024, 3:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Yes Buckley teams were passing and movement based, but with toughness at the heart esp in CM.

The desire they have for a pass and move team is one I share but that is not the same as this kamikaze football of rolling it to a couple of poor defenders stood on the 6 yard line and hoping they can dazzle their way past the onrushing opposition. It's bonkers.

I really wasn't keen on the Slade season where we nearly went up, the kick and rush football was awful even if we were winning. I was brought up on buckleyball and wanted to see passing. But I think this having statuesque pair of defenders on the 6 yard line shitting themselves being how we want to start literally every single move is worse then kick and rush. I hate it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 81
A Brace Of Tees
February 11, 2024, 3:14pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Been saying since October that this set are complete fannies. Up until this season Hurst’s sides had heart & resilience and a few lads away from whoever was skipper willing to take accountability. Whether that was by upping the work rate, directing others around the park or just being a Max style sh1touse when required.

Regardless of the outcome of this season I wouldn’t want to see any of the current out of contract players here next season, and a few contracted ones need to consider if they truly want to be here.

Yes I commented on another thread about the difference between this lot and the team of 2021/22. Watching the brilliant film 'All Town Aren't We' brings home in the most emphatic way just how lacking we are in heart and spirit right now.

Hard to believe that in less than a year we've gone from the joy of promotion and FA Cup quarter finalists, to this unbelievable shower of shiite. From seeing the last 3 home games, it's pretty clear that the players look more and more confused with Artell's grand experiment, and confidence is draining from them.

Hopefully our away form can compensate for this between now and the end of the season, but there has to be more than one way of playing so that opponents don't automatically know our game plan. The depressing evidence though is that they've all sussed us out.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 81
mariner91
February 11, 2024, 3:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

But not only are we playing as a poor team we are also probably the smallest and least physical side I have ever seen town put out so set pieces are not a real goal threat when we are attacking and conversely they are massive when we are defending.

Worrying times.

That was one of the startling things to me yesterday. To a man their back three compared to our centre backs were taller, broader, stronger, quicker, more aggressive and better on the ball. Probably have a higher sperm count too. And I think therein lies one of the major problems we have. We’re not good enough to play football but not really cut out for a scrap either. I think the best we can hope for is to get it forward early in to feet and attempt to play from there, not in front of our dodgy defence.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 81
dapperz fun pub
February 11, 2024, 3:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,941
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Think people are forgetting how new Shaun is to coaching.

I watched the intensity of the warm up shaun  was involved in , I have to say it was very one paced very similar to our overall performance.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 81
GrimRob
February 11, 2024, 3:21pm

Quoted from grimsby pete

Every man who has managed a club never had any experience of doing it before he actually did it.

Including the top managers. Everyone starts somewhere.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 44 - 81
MuddyWaters
February 11, 2024, 3:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Neither of them are anything other than National League level.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 81
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 3:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

I watched the intensity of the warm up shaun  was involved in , I have to say it was very one paced very similar to our overall performance.  

I noticed that, their players where doing their bib session in small spaces like they do when our lads where in 2 lines passing the ball like you used to do to get your FA Coca Cola skills badge when you where 8.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 81
cannylad65
February 11, 2024, 4:04pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 6
Listening to the Stockport commentators, who were very well informed regarding our players, puts things into perspective.
'He was signed from Halifax, He was signed from Rochdale, He was signed from a relegated club, and another, He was signed from Halifax.' and so on, brought home the reality of the situation.
There lies my case, your honour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 81
chaos33
February 11, 2024, 4:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
From what I was told, our budget is very average, at best. The irritating facts about that are doubly stark - firstly - we can’t compete to sign the best (or most expensive) players at this level, and that’s disappointing given our fan base, recent cup success revenue and the relative income we generate, but worse, there are plenty of clubs in L2 with smaller budgets and income streams that have found better players than ours. Found them, coached them, used them to greater effect. If you’re way behind Barrow, and Morecambe, and Harrogate, and Crawley etc…consistently and decisively behind that is, as in, not competitive with….then you’re getting very few things right.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 81
MuddyWaters
February 11, 2024, 4:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
From what I was told, our budget is very average, at best. The irritating facts about that are doubly stark - firstly - we can’t compete to sign the best (or most expensive) players at this level, and that’s disappointing given our fan base, recent cup success revenue and the relative income we generate, but worse, there are plenty of clubs in L2 with smaller budgets and income streams that have found better players than ours. Found them, coached them, used them to greater effect. If you’re way behind Barrow, and Morecambe, and Harrogate, and Crawley etc…consistently and decisively behind that is, as in, not competitive with….then you’re getting very few things right.

And there’s very little reason to argue with any of that. Which is sad and pretty demoralising.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 81
toontown
February 11, 2024, 5:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
I think we are 11th best gate is it? Obviously being rank all season brings us down a bit but we've got cup money and player sales too. I'd have thought we were outside the top 7 for budget but in the top half. About where a lot of us expected we'd place this season, but we are punching well below our weight I'm certain of that. As in we have a budget that's a lot better than our league position, so we are underperforming.

I would imagine that if we stay up our budget will be reduced next season with lower ST sales and no cup run money.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 81
louth_in_the_south
February 11, 2024, 5:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 96
Surely this thread should be titled when , not if

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 81
1mickylyons
February 11, 2024, 5:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from toontown

Yes Buckley teams were passing and movement based, but with toughness at the heart esp in CM.

The desire they have for a pass and move team is one I share but that is not the same as this kamikaze football of rolling it to a couple of poor defenders stood on the 6 yard line and hoping they can dazzle their way past the onrushing opposition. It's bonkers.

I really wasn't keen on the Slade season where we nearly went up, the kick and rush football was awful even if we were winning. I was brought up on buckleyball and wanted to see passing. But I think this having statuesque pair of defenders on the 6 yard line shitting themselves being how we want to start literally every single move is worse then kick and rush. I hate it.

Same here but Rob Jones and Sgt Whittle at CB in this team we'd be 15 points better off easy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 81
denni266
February 11, 2024, 6:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Our recruitment of players is very low quality  and that can only be because of budget .typical gtfc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 81
arryarryarry
February 11, 2024, 6:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from denni266
Our recruitment of players is very low quality  and that can only be because of budget .typical gtfc

Or a recruitment manager who doesn't know his bottom from his elbow.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 81
denni266
February 11, 2024, 6:42pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Or a recruitment manager who doesn't know his bottom from his elbow.

Even both together could be right
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 81
IlkleyMariner
February 11, 2024, 6:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
He ain’t going anywhere any time soon

So get behind him and the players and enjoy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 81
fishcake63
February 11, 2024, 8:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
if he goes & even if we go down i dont think the board will pull the trigger i'd go for darryl clarke just a name folks & not wanting to upset anybody & i will be at colchester tuesday cheering the players & manager for sure OAP rates of course
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 81
Terry duckworth
February 11, 2024, 9:07pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Approval: -43
Gold Stars: 2
Give artell a chance boys ffs he’s only been here 5
Minutes Terry Duckworth is enjoying light ales with
Promotion plaice in the smugglers elvis is king x
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 81
arryarryarry
February 12, 2024, 3:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

He needs to get behind the players and have them playing a way they are comfortable with and can manage..
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 81
HertsGTFC
February 12, 2024, 8:19am

Barley Wine Drinker

Enjoy what exactly?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 81
February 12, 2024, 10:21am
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
I was told that the owners and the staff rate Shaun and that makes me think that if Artell gets himself fired - and he will if there are 3 or 4 more sh1t results in Feb and March and the entire fan base is in conflict with the manager and owners - then they would be content with that contingency plan and would hope to scrape through with a model that is more pragmatic and conservative. I suspect that Artell not bringing in his own assistant and basically being told that Shaun is the number 2 was precisely to provide some fall back if it goes t1ts - which it clearly has.

That would be insane!  Shaun and Ben are very, very inexperienced 'managers', if DH was to go, something I disagree with, then it is a very experienced manager we need in his place to help us get out of the predicament we are currently in.  We don't need two guys who 'managed' a team for 2 or 3 League Two matches.

Reply: 61 - 81
denni266
February 12, 2024, 11:06am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 123614

That would be insane!  Shaun and Ben are very, very inexperienced 'managers', if DH was to go, something I disagree with, then it is a very experienced manager we need in his place to help us get out of the predicament we are currently in.  We don't need two guys who 'managed' a team for 2 or 3 League Two matches.

So tell us how they can be any worse than Artell ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 81
Poojah
February 12, 2024, 11:10am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 123614

Anyone we were to go with as an external appointment will be currently out of work. That’s just the nature of where we are. Realistically, any so-called experienced manager would have to come from one of these two lists. Who would you fancy? The realistic options aren’t very exciting.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.u.....lklasse=0&plus=0

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 81
grimsby pete
February 12, 2024, 2:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,799
Gold Stars: 222

How can you enjoy seeing schoolboy errors and another defeat we can't  even win when we score five.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 81
mariner91
February 12, 2024, 2:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Anyone we were to go with as an external appointment will be currently out of work. That’s just the nature of where we are. Realistically, any so-called experienced manager would have to come from one of these two lists. Who would you fancy? The realistic options aren’t very exciting.

Mark Bonner would be the only one on those lists that looks even remotely good. And I'm not sure his football style matches what the owners want.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 81
DB
February 12, 2024, 3:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Poojah

There's not a lot of class on there, so why not bring in a manager under contract elsewhere, other clubs do it. Yes, I do realise that we would have to pay a fee, but if we want the best then that's what you have to do.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 81
Poojah
February 12, 2024, 4:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Mark Bonner would be the only one on those lists that looks even remotely good. And I'm not sure his football style matches what the owners want.

He was the one name that stood out to me after I posted the above links. He night not quite fit the bill in terms of playing style, however I’m hoping that the owners are learning fast that an overnight switch to sexy football might not be the most sensible after all. As a character, he seems to be a top bloke and by all accounts “values-led” (JS’ choice of phrase, not mine). Nice piece on him here by Max Rushden:

https://www.theguardian.com/fo.....arge-can-be-fleeting

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 81
Poojah
February 12, 2024, 4:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DB

There's not a lot of class on there, so why not bring in a manager under contract elsewhere, other clubs do it. Yes, I do realise that we would have to pay a fee, but if we want the best then that's what you have to do.

Because you’d have to be absolutely off your rocker to leave gainful employment to join the GTFC circus at this moment in time. That’s the sad reflection of the state we find ourselves in yet again.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 81
MuddyWaters
February 12, 2024, 4:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Enjoy what exactly?

There’s been a lot of painting if watching it dry is your thing?
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 81
chaos33
February 12, 2024, 4:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

I don’t think it would be insane. At all. They’ll need some sort of succession/contingency plan, and if Artell gets himself sacked, there might only be 10/12 games left. You won’t want to rush a managerial appointment when you can take stock and start again in summer if needed. The current staff know the players and would pick up the baton in the short term and we’d have to hope for the best. It’s the opposite of insane. It’s pragmatic. It’s supposition on my part though. I happen to know that there is a lot of support for Shaun as a coach and character so assume this is the thinking. I don’t actually know that this is implicitly the position. Let’s hope DA turns it and we don’t need to find out. .

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 81
Mappers
February 12, 2024, 4:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from toontown
I think we are 11th best gate is it? Obviously being rank all season brings us down a bit but we've got cup money and player sales too. I'd have thought we were outside the top 7 for budget but in the top half. About where a lot of us expected we'd place this season, but we are punching well below our weight I'm certain of that. As in we have a budget that's a lot better than our league position, so we are underperforming.

I would imagine that if we stay up our budget will be reduced next season with lower ST sales and no cup run money.

Probably 8th best in terms of seats sold each home game , some of our's favourite subject .... anyone that's been to The Keepmoat know Donny are not averaging 6700 , probably  only get  close to that there with the bigger away followings .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 81
fishcake63
February 12, 2024, 5:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Lose next two i reckon his position becomes almost untenable, i know this is horrible but it's football who we get in not got a clue without going through a long list of failures
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 81
DB
February 12, 2024, 6:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Because you’d have to be absolutely off your rocker to leave gainful employment to join the GTFC circus at this moment in time. That’s the sad reflection of the state we find ourselves in yet again.

I agree with you but didn't both Wrexham and Stockport sign players from the EFL who went because of money.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 81
Poojah
February 12, 2024, 6:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DB

I agree with you but didn't both Wrexham and Stockport sign players from the EFL who went because of money.

Yes, the kind of money we simply don’t have, unfortunately. They also had upward momentum, something we’ve let completely go to shít this season.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 81
DB
February 12, 2024, 6:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Yes, the kind of money we simply don’t have, unfortunately. They also had upward momentum, something we’ve let completely go to shít this season.

The club might not have it but JS & AP do, so it is a matter which they may have to decide on. A drop into the NL would go against the goodwill and posture they made when they arrived. Also, ST's may fall and less income from all sources for the club. The new training ground may have to be shelved and some backroom staff let go.

The next two weeks' results for us and those below us will define our season. If and I say if they are negative then JS & AP may have to bite the bullet.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 81
GrimRob
February 12, 2024, 6:38pm

Quoted from DB

The club might not have it but JS & AP do, so it is a matter which they may have to decide on. A drop into the NL would go against the goodwill and posture they made when they arrived.

Who can we sign and when though? Players and managers are either unavailable or out of work because nobody wants them (like Artell was). I think we have to abandon the idea that a Robbie Fowler or Ian Holloway is going to ride into town and save us. The answers have to be found in the building. 2 months to go. Forget 5 year plans, the Grimsby Way and just battle out some relegation dogfights.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 76 - 81
February 12, 2024, 6:58pm
Guest User
Quoted from denni266

So tell us how they can be any worse than Artell ?

Do you not understand what I just wrote!

Reply: 77 - 81
toontown
February 12, 2024, 7:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

Probably 8th best in terms of seats sold each home game , some of our's favourite subject .... anyone that's been to The Keepmoat know Donny are not averaging 6700 , probably  only get  close to that there with the bigger away followings .

Yeah thats a good point that I had forgotten, and that's with two seasons of awful performances at home. We keep saying it but imagine if we had a promotion challenging season actually in the EFL, we'd be having home sell outs most weeks.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 81
pen penfras
February 12, 2024, 7:58pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from DB

The club might not have it but JS & AP do, so it is a matter which they may have to decide on. A drop into the NL would go against the goodwill and posture they made when they arrived. Also, ST's may fall and less income from all sources for the club. The new training ground may have to be shelved and some backroom staff let go.

The next two weeks' results for us and those below us will define our season. If and I say if they are negative then JS & AP may have to bite the bullet.

Do you genuinely think we're getting a new training ground? I think it's gone nowhere for too long and JS's children's inheritance isn't coming to the football club anymore, he's made it very clear he doesn't want to spend money or be chairman anymore.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 81
marinerjase
February 12, 2024, 8:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,655
Gold Stars: 147
You keep banging on with that narrative but there’s absolutely nothing to say that’s the case. You’ve gone off one remark, twisted it to suit your own agenda. (If I’m wrong please show me..)

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 81
February 13, 2024, 8:56am
Guest User
Quoted from pen penfras

Do you genuinely think we're getting a new training ground? I think it's gone nowhere for too long and JS's children's inheritance isn't coming to the football club anymore, he's made it very clear he doesn't want to spend money or be chairman anymore.

You are stating things out of context, he said when he first took over the club that he would take up the post of chairman, for the first 3 years, then he would stand down and pass it on to someone else.

Reply: 81 - 81
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › “If” Artell does go…..

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.