Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › “If” Artell does go…..
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

“If” Artell does go…..

This thread currently has 5,704 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
February 11, 2024, 1:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from mariner91

That extends to the team though. We’ve got nobody who is willing to do the dark arts other than Rose and Green. And Green’s shortcomings as a footballer have been discussed to death on here. Look at the second goal yesterday, Clifton literally jumps out the way to allow their quick free kick. Just fooking stand there and take the yellow to stop us going two down. I know Hurst liked having “good” characters but we need some nasty feckers in our team so we stop gift wrapping points to the opposition.

Totally agree. We are such nice people at Grimsby Town we hand the games to the opposition on a plate.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 81
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 2:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228

Totally agree. We are such nice people at Grimsby Town we hand the games to the opposition on a plate.

Artell even said that when he arrived that other sides thought Grimsby was a good place to get an away win.

I’m personally split on whether he should have brought another coach in considering he’s been recruited as head coach and clearly wants to get his hands dirty every day instead of setting up the dart board.

In hindsight someone who had coached at this level for a couple of other clubs may have added value.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 81
Poojah
February 11, 2024, 2:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,578
Gold Stars: 1,502
Quoted from chaos33

Yeah, interesting. I was going to ask ….’what is this Grimsby way’ thing? I presume it’s some notion of being a passing team that entertains and wins, but then, there’s nothing particularly exclusive to Grimsby about that. Doesn’t every club say that’s what they want?

Seems to me that ‘the Grimsby way’ means perpetually struggling to manage in the bottom division of the EFL despite having a bigger income and better support than more than half of whoever else occupies that league and shows us how it’s done better for and with less. This season see - Barrow, Morecambe, Harrogate, Accrington, Crawley, Salford, Wimbledon, Newport etc etc

I think we all know that Stockwood’s inference is that “the Grimsby way” is a nod to the Buckley football of the late 80s and 90s, with the club consistently punching above its weight and not just beating much bigger clubs on a regular basis, but playing them off the park.

But the simple notion that Buckley teams were solely about sexy, pass and move football overlooks one important thing. His teams were always full of grit. Yes, you had to be able to play a bit, but those teams had players who were, to all intents and purposes, as hard as nails. Livvo, Groves, Cunnington, Lever, Rees, Pouton, just off the top of my head.

Not withstanding the fact we can’t currently do the tippy tapping stuff very well either, this is a huge part of the Grimsby identity that is completely missing at the moment. Blundell Park is a place that will always respond positively to effort and commitment, and we saw none of that yesterday, with the notable exception of Danny Rose. Other than him, I don’t see anyone I’d want beside me in the trenches.

It doesn’t matter what brand of football you try to play, we are absolutely spineless. Like some invertebrate, football playing bowl of primordial soup. For as long as that remains the case, we will remain in deep, deep trouble.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 81
LocalLadGTFC
February 11, 2024, 2:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,221
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Poojah

I think we all know that Stockwood’s inference is that “the Grimsby way” is a nod to the Buckley football of the late 80s and 90s, with the club consistently punching above its weight and not just beating much bigger clubs on a regular basis, but playing them off the park.

But the simple notion that Buckley teams were solely about sexy, pass and move football overlooks one important thing. His teams were always full of grit. Yes, you had to be able to play a bit, but those teams had players who were, to all intents and purposes, as hard as nails. Livvo, Groves, Cunnington, Lever, Rees, Pouton, just off the top of my head.

Not withstanding the fact we can’t currently do the tippy tapping stuff very well either, this is a huge part of the Grimsby identity that is completely missing at the moment. Blundell Park is a place that will always respond positively to effort and commitment, and we saw none of that yesterday, with the notable exception of Danny Rose. Other than him, I don’t see anyone I’d want beside me in the trenches.

It doesn’t matter what brand of football you try to play, we are absolutely spineless. Like some invertebrate, football playing bowl of primordial soup. For as long as that remains the case, we will remain in deep, deep trouble.

Exactly what the Stockport comms were eluding to, they've known Grimsby to always be blood and thunder and respond well to effort. I'm not the biggest fan of Green but he very much brings that when he comes on.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 81
ginnywings
February 11, 2024, 2:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
People keep saying Green is limited, but he looks head and shoulders better than Holohan, who can't control and pass a ball to save his life.

We looked much better with him in the middle and he very rarely gave the ball away.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 81
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 2:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Been saying since October that this set are complete fannies. Up until this season Hurst’s sides had heart & resilience and a few lads away from whoever was skipper willing to take accountability. Whether that was by upping the work rate, directing others around the park or just being a Max style sh1touse when required.

Regardless of the outcome of this season I wouldn’t want to see any of the current out of contract players here next season, and a few contracted ones need to consider if they truly want to be here.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 81
mariner91
February 11, 2024, 3:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from ginnywings
People keep saying Green is limited, but he looks head and shoulders better than Holohan, who can't control and pass a ball to save his life.

We looked much better with him in the middle and he very rarely gave the ball away.

Holohan is one of those classic players who get better when they’re not in the team. He hides from the ball when we have it and regularly loses it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 81
grimsby pete
February 11, 2024, 3:06pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from 123614

Shaun and Ben who were part of the coaching staff under PH disastrous reign, and also part of DA backroom staff too?  And have had practically no experience in managing a football club apart from a handful of games, two of which were against a part time lower league club!  No thank you.

Every man who has managed a club never had any experience of doing it before he actually did it.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 81
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 11, 2024, 3:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from ginnywings

I’m in the Green’s limited camp but what the bloke has is character and determination and he showed a great willingness to take the ball off the back four which neither Holohan or Clifton are willing to do. I suspect this is because neither has a good touch and they are petrified, particularly at BP, of making a mistake and those who said Conteh wouldn’t be missed must have quickly realised that isn’t the case.

After watching Thompson yesterday I am not convinced by his fitness but would look at playing him and Green in front of the back four. I would have Vernam wide with Rose and Pyke/Wilson down the middle working as a pair and making sure the front three aren’t so isolated. Behind them I would choose Hunt but accept that’s unlikely so maybe Andrews or Arthur in that role.

But not only are we playing as a poor team we are also probably the smallest and least physical side I have ever seen town put out so set pieces are not a real goal threat when we are attacking and conversely they are massive when we are defending.

Worrying times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 81
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 3:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Holohan is one of those classic players who get better when they’re not in the team. He hides from the ball when we have it and regularly loses it.

Add to that he tends to stop running when he loses it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › “If” Artell does go…..

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.