Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › “If” Artell does go…..
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

“If” Artell does go…..

This thread currently has 5,718 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
toontown
February 11, 2024, 3:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Poojah

I think we all know that Stockwood’s inference is that “the Grimsby way” is a nod to the Buckley football of the late 80s and 90s, with the club consistently punching above its weight and not just beating much bigger clubs on a regular basis, but playing them off the park.

But the simple notion that Buckley teams were solely about sexy, pass and move football overlooks one important thing. His teams were always full of grit. Yes, you had to be able to play a bit, but those teams had players who were, to all intents and purposes, as hard as nails. Livvo, Groves, Cunnington, Lever, Rees, Pouton, just off the top of my head.

Not withstanding the fact we can’t currently do the tippy tapping stuff very well either, this is a huge part of the Grimsby identity that is completely missing at the moment. Blundell Park is a place that will always respond positively to effort and commitment, and we saw none of that yesterday, with the notable exception of Danny Rose. Other than him, I don’t see anyone I’d want beside me in the trenches.

It doesn’t matter what brand of football you try to play, we are absolutely spineless. Like some invertebrate, football playing bowl of primordial soup. For as long as that remains the case, we will remain in deep, deep trouble.

Yes Buckley teams were passing and movement based, but with toughness at the heart esp in CM.

The desire they have for a pass and move team is one I share but that is not the same as this kamikaze football of rolling it to a couple of poor defenders stood on the 6 yard line and hoping they can dazzle their way past the onrushing opposition. It's bonkers.

I really wasn't keen on the Slade season where we nearly went up, the kick and rush football was awful even if we were winning. I was brought up on buckleyball and wanted to see passing. But I think this having statuesque pair of defenders on the 6 yard line shitting themselves being how we want to start literally every single move is worse then kick and rush. I hate it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 81
A Brace Of Tees
February 11, 2024, 3:14pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Been saying since October that this set are complete fannies. Up until this season Hurst’s sides had heart & resilience and a few lads away from whoever was skipper willing to take accountability. Whether that was by upping the work rate, directing others around the park or just being a Max style sh1touse when required.

Regardless of the outcome of this season I wouldn’t want to see any of the current out of contract players here next season, and a few contracted ones need to consider if they truly want to be here.

Yes I commented on another thread about the difference between this lot and the team of 2021/22. Watching the brilliant film 'All Town Aren't We' brings home in the most emphatic way just how lacking we are in heart and spirit right now.

Hard to believe that in less than a year we've gone from the joy of promotion and FA Cup quarter finalists, to this unbelievable shower of shiite. From seeing the last 3 home games, it's pretty clear that the players look more and more confused with Artell's grand experiment, and confidence is draining from them.

Hopefully our away form can compensate for this between now and the end of the season, but there has to be more than one way of playing so that opponents don't automatically know our game plan. The depressing evidence though is that they've all sussed us out.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 81
mariner91
February 11, 2024, 3:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

But not only are we playing as a poor team we are also probably the smallest and least physical side I have ever seen town put out so set pieces are not a real goal threat when we are attacking and conversely they are massive when we are defending.

Worrying times.

That was one of the startling things to me yesterday. To a man their back three compared to our centre backs were taller, broader, stronger, quicker, more aggressive and better on the ball. Probably have a higher sperm count too. And I think therein lies one of the major problems we have. We’re not good enough to play football but not really cut out for a scrap either. I think the best we can hope for is to get it forward early in to feet and attempt to play from there, not in front of our dodgy defence.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 81
dapperz fun pub
February 11, 2024, 3:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,964
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Think people are forgetting how new Shaun is to coaching.

I watched the intensity of the warm up shaun  was involved in , I have to say it was very one paced very similar to our overall performance.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 81
GrimRob
February 11, 2024, 3:21pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,420
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from grimsby pete

Every man who has managed a club never had any experience of doing it before he actually did it.

Including the top managers. Everyone starts somewhere.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 44 - 81
MuddyWaters
February 11, 2024, 3:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,265
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings
People keep saying Green is limited, but he looks head and shoulders better than Holohan, who can't control and pass a ball to save his life.

We looked much better with him in the middle and he very rarely gave the ball away.

Neither of them are anything other than National League level.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 81
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 3:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

I watched the intensity of the warm up shaun  was involved in , I have to say it was very one paced very similar to our overall performance.  

I noticed that, their players where doing their bib session in small spaces like they do when our lads where in 2 lines passing the ball like you used to do to get your FA Coca Cola skills badge when you where 8.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 81
cannylad65
February 11, 2024, 4:04pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +88
Gold Stars: 6
Listening to the Stockport commentators, who were very well informed regarding our players, puts things into perspective.
'He was signed from Halifax, He was signed from Rochdale, He was signed from a relegated club, and another, He was signed from Halifax.' and so on, brought home the reality of the situation.
There lies my case, your honour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 81
chaos33
February 11, 2024, 4:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
From what I was told, our budget is very average, at best. The irritating facts about that are doubly stark - firstly - we can’t compete to sign the best (or most expensive) players at this level, and that’s disappointing given our fan base, recent cup success revenue and the relative income we generate, but worse, there are plenty of clubs in L2 with smaller budgets and income streams that have found better players than ours. Found them, coached them, used them to greater effect. If you’re way behind Barrow, and Morecambe, and Harrogate, and Crawley etc…consistently and decisively behind that is, as in, not competitive with….then you’re getting very few things right.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 81
MuddyWaters
February 11, 2024, 4:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,265
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from chaos33
From what I was told, our budget is very average, at best. The irritating facts about that are doubly stark - firstly - we can’t compete to sign the best (or most expensive) players at this level, and that’s disappointing given our fan base, recent cup success revenue and the relative income we generate, but worse, there are plenty of clubs in L2 with smaller budgets and income streams that have found better players than ours. Found them, coached them, used them to greater effect. If you’re way behind Barrow, and Morecambe, and Harrogate, and Crawley etc…consistently and decisively behind that is, as in, not competitive with….then you’re getting very few things right.

And there’s very little reason to argue with any of that. Which is sad and pretty demoralising.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › “If” Artell does go…..

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.