Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › “If” Artell does go…..
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

“If” Artell does go…..

This thread currently has 5,711 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
February 11, 2024, 1:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,585
Gold Stars: 1,503
Interesting that we find ourselves in the same sequence of fixtures that we were in when Hurst was sacked. Despite a more respectable defeat to Stockport than yesterday’s capitulation, Hurst couldn’t survive defeats to Colchester and Doncaster. I’d be surprised if Artell could.

If that happens, it feels like reverting to the more pragmatic, back to basics approach installed by Pearson and Davies is as good an option as any likely to be available to us.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 81
February 11, 2024, 1:03pm
Guest User
I still cannot grasp that we are in this position. I just can’t fǔcking believe it.
Reply: 21 - 81
chaos33
February 11, 2024, 1:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
I was told that the owners and the staff rate Shaun and that makes me think that if Artell gets himself fired - and he will if there are 3 or 4 more sh1t results in Feb and March and the entire fan base is in conflict with the manager and owners - then they would be content with that contingency plan and would hope to scrape through with a model that is more pragmatic and conservative. I suspect that Artell not bringing in his own assistant and basically being told that Shaun is the number 2 was precisely to provide some fall back if it goes t1ts - which it clearly has.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 81
GrimRob
February 11, 2024, 1:15pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,416
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from 140381
I still cannot grasp that we are in this position. I just can’t fǔcking believe it.

I can. In the last 20 years we've either been near the bottom of League Two or the top of the National League almost all the time, a narrow range of about a dozen league places. The transition between these 12 places is the subject of over a million posts on here. Whatever we try and do we're always in roughly the same place.

Anyone under 30 will have known nothing else. Almost every manager that has been sacked is because we haven't been doing very well in League 2. It really seems to be the Grimsby Way.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 81
davmariner
February 11, 2024, 1:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from headingly_mariner
I think we will get a couple of results. He will be forced to play Vernam who will stretch teams and we are playing against weaker sides.
We were decent against Accrington, just a crazy way to set up against Stockport.

We were not decent against Accrington. They just had no attacking threat whatsoever. To put it into context, Accy have only scored one more goal than us so far this season.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 81
GrimRob
February 11, 2024, 1:23pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,416
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from davmariner

We were not decent against Accrington. They just had no attacking threat whatsoever. To put it into context, Accy have only scored one more goal than us so far this season.

Accrington missed a golden chance right at the start of the game as well. Stockport punished almost every early mistake.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 25 - 81
MuddyWaters
February 11, 2024, 1:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236
Think people are forgetting how new Shaun is to coaching.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 81
chaos33
February 11, 2024, 1:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from GrimRob

I can. In the last 20 years we've either been near the bottom of League Two or the top of the National League almost all the time, a narrow range of about a dozen league places. The transition between these 12 places is the subject of over a million posts on here. Whatever we try and do we're always in roughly the same place.

Anyone under 30 will have known nothing else. Almost every manager that has been sacked is because we haven't been doing very well in League 2. It really seems to be the Grimsby Way.

Yeah, interesting. I was going to ask ….’what is this Grimsby way’ thing? I presume it’s some notion of being a passing team that entertains and wins, but then, there’s nothing particularly exclusive to Grimsby about that. Doesn’t every club say that’s what they want?

Seems to me that ‘the Grimsby way’ means perpetually struggling to manage in the bottom division of the EFL despite having a bigger income and better support than more than half of whoever else occupies that league and shows us how it’s done better for and with less. This season see - Barrow, Morecambe, Harrogate, Accrington, Crawley, Salford, Wimbledon, Newport etc etc

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 81
mariner91
February 11, 2024, 1:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262

Nobody is going to give you an inch in professional sport, yet they seem to want to be all nice and cuddly with everyone.  

That extends to the team though. We’ve got nobody who is willing to do the dark arts other than Rose and Green. And Green’s shortcomings as a footballer have been discussed to death on here. Look at the second goal yesterday, Clifton literally jumps out the way to allow their quick free kick. Just fooking stand there and take the yellow to stop us going two down. I know Hurst liked having “good” characters but we need some nasty feckers in our team so we stop gift wrapping points to the opposition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 81
arryarryarry
February 11, 2024, 1:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
I posted in one of the threads yesterday, lose the next two games he should be toast.

I suppose it depends on how the owners feel about the excrement show that will come their way should we get relegated.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › “If” Artell does go…..

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.