Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back

This thread currently has 22,911 views. Print
21 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
cardiffmariner
January 13, 2024, 7:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,320
Gold Stars: 24
This idea that had Clifton scored to make it 3-0 the game would have been over seems to contradict both the last home game and this one. Currently we could be leading 5-0 by halt time and still not be sure of 3 points. Some need to stop making results about individual moments/player and maybe look at the bigger picture.

Personally, I'll take Artell's approach right now to the more pragmatic (dying inside whenever I have to watch Town) Hurst approach.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 209
Hagrid
January 13, 2024, 7:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,484
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from pontoonlew
If Hunt is indeed out of favour, Andrews & Conteh have just made any return considerably more difficult

Been really impressed with Andrews. I like him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 209
ginnywings
January 13, 2024, 7:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
There's some miserable feckers on here. We conceded 5, but so did they and I have to say that was an absolutely cracking watch and I loved it. The type of game that would have made the head of PH explode, but also would have ended 1-1 at best under him, but probably we'd have retreated backwards and lost.

They had the best, most fluid attack I've seen at BP this season; probably for a few seasons. Their two wingers were exceptional and you can complain about Mullarkey, Rodgers and Glennon having poor games, but they were marking three of the best players in League 2. Jones crossing was on another level, well beyond this league and their first four goals were almost impossible to defend, and impossible for the forwards to miss, so good were they. Contrast that with Vernam, who had two presentable chances and didn't get a good enough connection on either and the keeper saved both. He also had 3 or 4 opportunities to pick out our forwards with crosses and got them wrong. Not a dig at Vernam, as he had a decent game considering it's his first for a while, but he isn't as good as Jones, who will probably move on to pastures new, possibly to join his old boss. The other winger was lightning and tricky, and got two goals. McGoldrick was almost impossible to keep quiet. It was as much good players skinning the defenders and excellent movement as it was poor defending for me. We had to work our socks off to compete with them, and we mostly did.

Despite all that, we had more situations and more chances than they did, but our forward line aren't as good, and needed more opportunities to score the same amount of goals. There were 2 periods in the game when we could have got away from them, but didn't press home the advantage. At 2-0, we couldn't get the third, despite many opportunities to do so, and the same again at 4-3, when we couldn't get the fifth.

It didn't surprise me when they got it back to 4-4 and I thought they would go on to win it at that point, which looked to be the case when the classy McGoldrick showed composure to punish us.

Two sides going toe to toe and neither deserved to lose, so it was great to see the new lad come on and smack probably his first touch into the top corner. What a finish in more ways than one. I thought 2-2 would have been a good outcome today, because I was sure they would get at least a couple, so I'm not going to complain at 5-5 in a very open game.

Some great performances today, and most of all, I was thoroughly entertained.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 209
LocalLadGTFC
January 13, 2024, 7:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 137
Didn't Hunt come on against Mansfield and then go off injured? Not sure if he's injured still but remember him being taken off injured.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 53 - 209
Hagrid
January 13, 2024, 7:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,484
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
Didn't Hunt come on against Mansfield and then go off injured? Not sure if he's injured still but remember him being taken off injured.

If he did I’ve missed that, would explain it!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 209
headingly_mariner
January 13, 2024, 7:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from ginnywings
There's some miserable feckers on here. We conceded 5, but so did they and I have to say that was an absolutely cracking watch and I loved it. The type of game that would have made the head of PH explode, but also would have ended 1-1 at best under him, but probably we'd have retreated backwards and lost.

They had the best, most fluid attack I've seen at BP this season; probably for a few seasons. Their two wingers were exceptional and you can complain about Mullarkey, Rodgers and Glennon having poor games, but they were marking three of the best players in League 2. Jones crossing was on another level, well beyond this league and their first four goals were almost impossible to defend, and impossible for the forwards to miss, so good were they. Contrast that with Vernam, who had two presentable chances and didn't get a good enough connection on either and the keeper saved both. He also had 3 or 4 opportunities to pick out our forwards with crosses and got them wrong. Not a dig at Vernam, as he had a decent game considering it's his first for a while, but he isn't as good as Jones, who will probably move on to pastures new, possibly to join his old boss. The other winger was lightning and tricky, and got two goals. McGoldrick was almost impossible to keep quiet. It was as much good players skinning the defenders and excellent movement as it was poor defending for me. We had to work our socks off to compete with them, and we mostly did.

Despite all that, we had more situations and more chances than they did, but our forward line aren't as good, and needed more opportunities to score the same amount of goals. There were 2 periods in the game when we could have got away from them, but didn't press home the advantage. At 2-0, we couldn't get the third, despite many opportunities to do so, and the same again at 4-3, when we couldn't get the fifth.

It didn't surprise me when they got it back to 4-4 and I thought they would go on to win it at that point, which looked to be the case when the classy McGoldrick showed composure to punish us.

Two sides going toe to toe and neither deserved to lose, so it was great to see the new lad come on and smack probably his first touch into the top corner. What a finish in more ways than one. I thought 2-2 would have been a good outcome today, because I was sure they would get at least a couple, so I'm not going to complain at 5-5 in a very open game.

Some great performances today, and most of all, I was thoroughly entertained.

Absolutely!  That is possibly the best game I've ever seen. Two teams going at it.

I'm horrified by the slating of our defenders, our loose defending was due to our total front foot football. It's unfair and short sighted to blame just the defence.
Mullarkey and Glennon were fabulous going forward, but were totally exposed going the other way. At no point did we double up on Jones who was utterly excellent in setting up 4. Their other winger was also left 1 on 1 with Glennon all afternoon.

Rodgers in particular is gettting a real hard time. Him and Maher have played against the best front 2 in the division today and for a team that have gone all out attack. Both Maher and Rodgers are decent, we are leaky because of how we set up and a lack of confidence.
We need to be smarter and pick when to commit so many forward but it was hugely entertaining. Rodgers was the furthest player forward a few times.
First half a thought Rose, Vernam, Clifton and Eisa were fabulous. Against Walsall we passed but barely pressed, we never stopped pressing today.
I've been critical of Andrews but I thought he was was excellent today, fought for every ball, which is not his usual game.
Conteh was spectacular, even driving forward with the ball today.
The criticism of the new lad who as never kicked a ball in the football league before is laughable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 209
HerveJosse
January 13, 2024, 7:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
After entertainment like that you just have to forget the deficiencies for the day bank it as a game you will remember forever and move on to next week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 209
MuddyWaters
January 13, 2024, 7:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Given that it was Charles’ first start since God knows when , I thought he did great.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 209
ancientmariner54
January 13, 2024, 7:45pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -174
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from TAGG
Great game to watch.
Big well done to all the lads.
Best Ref at BP for donkeys years

Exactly this ,especially the ref .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 209
Zmariner
January 13, 2024, 8:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from ancientmariner54

Exactly this ,especially the ref .

The ref was outstanding , he saw through any play acting and made the game great to watch. Brilliant entertainment but would like to see a different right back + would like to see us sign ( not loan) another keeper.
The Notts midfield and forward line is class and so they needed less space, this was an error in our set up which I expect Artel to fix.  Clifton was 7/10 and he usually is which is why I am a big fan.  
We will need around 46 points - 6 wins from 19 games , the first coming against Harrogate as I am sick of them, utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 209
21 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.