Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back

This thread currently has 22,647 views. Print
21 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
RonMariner
January 13, 2024, 6:25pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,697
Gold Stars: 226
On current form we need half a dozen goals a game to compensate for not having a defence, I wonder if we have ever conceded 11 goals in two consecutive home games before?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 209
1mickylyons
January 13, 2024, 6:34pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,385
Gold Stars: 56
Overall I thoroughly enjoyed that.
At 2-0 I  was thinking our best display of the Season
*BOOM*
The defence throws all the good work away with another horror show which they repeated time and again. Bostok dominated the ball and you knew trouble would ensue.Enter McGoldrick what a player in league 2 links the play holds the ball up and scores goals. Town did well to rally and pleased for Clifton today he and Rose epitomised workrate and energy .Hands up I got up and left at 4-5 feeling deflated heard the roar and thought serves myself right.Well done Town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 209
jimgtfc
January 13, 2024, 6:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,089
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Hagrid
Noticed Alex Hunt seems to be out the picture again btw

You love sticking the knife in on Alex don’t you? Used to do the same with Max Wright, have they nicked your mrs or something? Just don’t understand it mate. Maybe he’s got a knock or something?

Cracking game by the way, proper old school league game. End to end, great atmosphere, really enjoyed that!

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 209
Maringer
January 13, 2024, 6:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
Errors aside, I thought it was a really interesting game tactically. Artell obviously had a plan to stop them playing the way they wanted to and it worked really well in the first half. Rodgers and then later Maher were following McGoldrick around when the ball was being played out from their goal, basically man-marking him. We also stood off them to block the easy passes from their No. 15 who I expect normally dictates play from the back and he really didn't know what to do with it most of the time (apart from once where we cocked up and let him run through!). It led to their keeper often clearing the ball from a more advanced position and, though he wasn't that bad with his passing, we won a lot of the ball back from them.

Almost all of their midfielders are attack-minded and didn't seem too keen on getting back to help in defence which is why we had so much joy with balls in behind their defence.

The game was lot different to the attritional play we do often see with the usual big, meaty and well-organised opponents.

My criticism of County would be that they have too many 'fancy dan' types who overplay it because they are good with the ball at their feet and want to show it. Their best goal, for me, was their 5th. The ball looped to their No. 8 (I think) at the edge of the box, who guided a first time pass to McGoldrick in loads of space who took the chance well. I don't think any of our players would have seen the pass. They would have been attempting an awkward shot or trying to control it for a shot. Great vision led to a goal.

Perhaps Wood will be that player for us for the rest of the season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 209
pontoonlew
January 13, 2024, 6:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,035
Gold Stars: 176
Must say if it wasn’t for the ref that could’ve been 0-0, he let absolutely everything go and even when it didn’t benefit us it was great for the flow of the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 209
cardiffmariner
January 13, 2024, 7:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,320
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from GtfcGarner

Absolutely criminal that Rodgers has managed to get a 3 year deal looks an absolute calamity every time I've seen him. Loses the ball and gets a rush of blood running after it like a 6-year old. Mullarkey absolutely useless today against Jones, like others have said probably one of the better players in the division after his first assist allowing him to do it another two or three times is absolutely criminal.

I haven't seen too many games this season but I do distinctly remember the general purring that was going on about Rodgers after the first 10 games or so. Let's not be so quick to write him off. ALL the players need our support at this point as we transition from one very determined way of playing to another.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 209
Hagrid
January 13, 2024, 7:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,413
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from jimgtfc

You love sticking the knife in on Alex don’t you? Used to do the same with Max Wright, have they nicked your mrs or something? Just don’t understand it mate. Maybe he’s got a knock or something?

Cracking game by the way, proper old school league game. End to end, great atmosphere, really enjoyed that!

wtf are you talking about. I was making a point you clown.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 209
MuddyWaters
January 13, 2024, 7:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,250
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from jimgtfc

I’m not sure what’s going on. Alex was in the pre game running with Waterfall, Amos, Khan, Khouri and Braithwaite, when the rest of the squad came out, Gav came out and specifically went to Hunty and gave him a big hug. Maybe he’s struggled with the emotions of the last week, maybe he’s on his way out or maybe Shaun and Ben told DA that he had a shocker away against these. Maybe all of the above.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 209
Brummie Codfather
January 13, 2024, 7:08pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +851
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from jimgtfc

In fairness to Hagrid, Hunt has started the season under Hurst & then under Artell with both mentioning how technically good he was and in both cases quickly out of the team and not troubled the starting line up since dropping out.

I’ve heard nothing about him being injured so seemed a fair question to ask if he’s dropped down the pecking order, especially with a new midfielder coming in.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 209
pontoonlew
January 13, 2024, 7:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,035
Gold Stars: 176
If Hunt is indeed out of favour, Andrews & Conteh have just made any return considerably more difficult
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 209
21 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.