Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back

This thread currently has 22,898 views. Print
21 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
January 15, 2024, 3:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from mariner91

I think that's completely the other way round. It's a poor touch from Vernam no doubt but he's 40 yards from our goal. Normally if you lose possession there you still have your defence in the way to stop the opposition forwards. If Mullarkey had held his position until we actually had the ball under control then there shouldn't be an issue there but as it is Jones is through and in a great position.  Make those runs if you're certain its highly unlikely we'll lose possession but in transition phases like this with the ball bouncing about between the midfield and back four and not under our control yet it's beyond stupid for a full back to leave the man you're marking clean through behind you because you've made an aimless run forward. DA mentioned in the post match interview about poor decision making and I'm sure this will have been one of the instances he was talking about. It's a particularly brain dead thing to do in the context of being 10 minutes before half time and up until this point absolutely cruising.

Completely disagree. I bet Mullarkey has instructions to get forward whenever he can, and he couldn't have known that Vernam would completely fail to control the ball, a basic requirement of a professional footballer.

It's about moments, and Vernam got it wrong, exposing the full back. If Vernam had have brought that down and we worked it to Mullarkey for an attack, we may have gone up the other end and made it 3-0, but of course we will never know.

Attacking football with full backs looking to get on the front foot will have risks attached.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 209
GrimPol
January 15, 2024, 3:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from mariner91

Both. It's a really minor issue at worst and for all the unbelievable work he does off the ball and with the ball it's perplexing to label him as a negative when there are other more glaring issues elsewhere in the side.

Both?
You questioning the fact Rose loses the ball, falls to the ground and the ref plays on. Meanwhile rose spends time waving his arms for anybody who wants to watch, his teammates don't care because they know better. Now tell me that never ever happens to Rose. Go on tell me that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 209
mariner91
January 15, 2024, 4:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,748
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from GrimPol

Both?
You questioning the fact Rose loses the ball, falls to the ground and the ref plays on. Meanwhile rose spends time waving his arms for anybody who wants to watch, his teammates don't care because they know better. Now tell me that never ever happens to Rose. Go on tell me that.

Yeah he goes down a bit too easily sometimes trying to win free kicks. But it’s not such a regular occurrence that it’s an issue and pales into insignificance in comparison to the many, many positives he brings the side. You literally labelled Rose as a negative in your original post which is absurd.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 209
oochiad
January 15, 2024, 4:50pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from 137

The logic is: I think he'd do a better job at RB than Mullarkey or Efete.
We've just seen 4 goals conceded from that side of the pitch - so doing nothing isn't an appealing option. But who else?
Playing Harry in defence doesn't prohibit him from setting foot in the opponent's half.
Some would see playing a midfielder (who's played left-back on several occasions, don't forget) at full-back as being "attack minded".
Harry's passing is too hit-and-miss for the midfield role.

Hang on, was it not Clifton who let Jody put in the cross for the forth goal………
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 209
Maringer
January 15, 2024, 5:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
I don't blame Vernam for their first goal at all. He was running back to try and help the defence, stretched to get his foot on an awkward ball and it deflected backwards. Could have happened to anyone. I thought it was unlucky as much as anything, as it could have gone almost anywhere else on the pitch and not caused too many problems, but it just happened to fall to Jones who turned out to be in the right place as the right time. Mullarkey a bit foolish to pile upfield before he saw where it was going, but more bad luck than anything for me.

The next three were just rubbish play by the defenders and then the keeper.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 209
jamesgtfc
January 15, 2024, 5:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
It looked a difficult ball to control, and Mullarkey deciding to push on was naïve. If the ball into Vernam was excellent, then it's a slightly different debate and Mullarkey pushing becomes a bit more understood. It's all about finding that balance and making better decisions to see games out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 209
oochiad
January 15, 2024, 5:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from oochiad

Yep just checked it, and it was Clifton. At the time I shouted out just kick him into the stand!! I don’t think it’s fair to lay the blame solely at Mularkey as a lot are doing, Vernam could be held culpable for the first goal. I’m sure that what ever happens Artell will address the problem as best he can with the players we have. What a game!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 209
January 15, 2024, 5:38pm
Guest User
Quoted from oochiad

Yes, Clifton was the nearest player to Jody when he put the cross in - but he was running back from midfield and was never
in a position to cut out the cross, so unfair to say he "let Jody in".

Would have been better if Mullarkey was in Jody's face when he received the pass (Jody having assisted the previous 3 goals we'd conceded).
Reply: 167 - 209
Caveman
January 15, 2024, 5:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from cannylad65
Caveman

Without checking, I think the Fulham match to which you refer, was midweek afternoon.

Hi CL.

I've managed to look up the actual date. Saturday 9 Jan 1954
Grief, virtually 70 years to the day.

And I can't remember who scored last week !.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 209
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 15, 2024, 6:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from jamesgtfc
It looked a difficult ball to control, and Mullarkey deciding to push on was naïve. If the ball into Vernam was excellent, then it's a slightly different debate and Mullarkey pushing becomes a bit more understood. It's all about finding that balance and making better decisions to see games out.

For me you've hit the nail on the head with making better decisions.

Vernam's 'interception' puts the ball back into an area where the County player is favourite to get it and wrong foots 2 of our players (and in space). All the impetus is then with County and effectively takes 3 of our players out of the picture.

If Vernam had decided he wasn't going to get to it and get it under control he could have prepared himself for when it bounced and what challenge he may have to make as a result. He could have just handballed it, given away the free kick but allowed us to get our defensive shape against a free kick in a not particularly dangerous area.

But he didn't do either of those, he dived in. A poor decision based on where he was on the pitch.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 209
21 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.