Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › New training facility.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

New training facility.

This thread currently has 11,018 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
White_shorts
January 4, 2024, 3:12pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Kris2
I'm really not sure why a training ground also needs to be a community hub anyway, surely the important thing here is finding adequate land and improving the facilities, we don't need a community centre and leisure centre complex or whatever on top of it. A football club training ground doesn't really spark a feeling of community to me anyway, not everybody in the community cares about sports or this football club, what else are they expecting to use it for?  

I always assumed Stockwood and Pettit's plan was for the players to use the pitches and gym fitness equipment in the morning, and then open the facilities to the public in the afternoon and evening.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 102
arryarryarry
January 4, 2024, 3:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117

I've long advocated for a training facility to have all the things that, in a perfect world, you get with a new stadium on a large site. Community pitches, meeting rooms, business hub - all the things we say we can never have at BP because of the lack of room, and the astronomical cost of a new stadium.

If we can secure a large enough site then we can develop it over time to include things that can be used 7 days a week.

I don't know if that is the plan for this particular site, or whether the new training ground will be just for the players, but if you can't get what you ideally want (a super duper all encompassing new stadium) then you have to look at other and cheaper options.

I've been to meeting rooms at Old Trafford and Leeds and the ones we used were smaller than McMenemy's.

I've also visited BP a few times in the past few weeks and on a couple of occasions the car park was packed with meetings going on.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 102
Yoda
January 4, 2024, 7:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
Immingham is probably the best of both worlds and it’s an easy commute from Leeds, Sheffield, Lincoln and Hull so location wise is great might persuade a few more to sign.
As it’s an old golf course there will be a more mature setting with trees and grounds so way better than just an open field.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 102
forza ivano
January 4, 2024, 7:30pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Yoda
Immingham is probably the best of both worlds and it’s an easy commute from Leeds, Sheffield, Lincoln and Hull so location wise is great might persuade a few more to sign.
As it’s an old golf course there will be a more mature setting with trees and grounds so way better than just an open field.

possibly the only sensible post you've ever made.Good, interesting point about the mature setting - nicer place to be, but also should provide shelter from the wind, so making training more productive & pleasant

https://arsenalcolumn.wordpress.com/2009/01/15/arsenal-style-of-play-shaped-in-part-by-the-wind/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 102
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
January 4, 2024, 7:41pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from jimgtfc
The smell of pure sulphur from the refinery will do wonders for the players lungs

You don't know a lot about refinery processes Jim, do you?

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 102
bedders78
January 4, 2024, 9:25pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +839
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from forza ivano

possibly the only sensible post you've ever made.Good, interesting point about the mature setting - nicer place to be, but also should provide shelter from the wind, so making training more productive & pleasant

https://arsenalcolumn.wordpress.com/2009/01/15/arsenal-style-of-play-shaped-in-part-by-the-wind/

So instead of asking if a player could perform on a cold night in Stoke they should instead ask if they could do it on a windy day in Cleethorpes?

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 102
Kris2
January 5, 2024, 1:31am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from White_shorts

I always assumed Stockwood and Pettit's plan was for the players to use the pitches and gym fitness equipment in the morning, and then open the facilities to the public in the afternoon and evening.

There are already plenty of facilities like that locally and I don't know of a single professional club that offers such a thing at their training ground. I'm sure somebody will name one though...Just leave out if it's some semi-pro club where all the staff are volunteers and they are desperate for money because those don't count.

Is this another one of those boomer pipe dreams people have where local kids will flock to the pitches and they'll magically discover local talent that will fill the team with local players who have that good ol Grimsby grit that will surely take us back to former glory? Otherwise I think the Trin and other such facilities already provide all that for kids.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 102
LocalLadGTFC
January 5, 2024, 10:02am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from Kris2

There are already plenty of facilities like that locally and I don't know of a single professional club that offers such a thing at their training ground. I'm sure somebody will name one though...Just leave out if it's some semi-pro club where all the staff are volunteers and they are desperate for money because those don't count.

Is this another one of those boomer pipe dreams people have where local kids will flock to the pitches and they'll magically discover local talent that will fill the team with local players who have that good ol Grimsby grit that will surely take us back to former glory? Otherwise I think the Trin and other such facilities already provide all that for kids.

Not as uncommon as you think. St George’s Park is open to the public and is the training ground for the national team. Most these facilities will often have facilities used by the pros and youth team and then facilities used by the general public. It’s a revenue stream and we should be maximising every single one we have.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 57 - 102
Heisenberg
January 6, 2024, 8:19am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Kris2

I still see the idea of such facilities being a legacy of Fenty’s “community hub”, or whatever the hell he called it. Everyone knew that was just a ruse so he could get someone else to pay for a stadium - “but it’s not just for GTFC, it’s for everyone”, type of thing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 102
marinerjase
January 6, 2024, 11:41am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,679
Gold Stars: 147
It sure why it’s so hard to get your head around that the training facility (should/when it happen) will cost so much, owners don’t have bottomless pit or investors/sponsors yet - and said training facility if only used by club/youth/women’s/academies would be sat vacant for a proportion of the day. Know only too well the demand for pitches, particularly sept to April - so opening any up to public/clubs is common sense. Don’t understand why anyone would whinge at that in all honesty..

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 102
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › New training facility.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.