Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › New training facility.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

New training facility.

This thread currently has 10,866 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
grimps
January 4, 2024, 8:41am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Good idea if you ask me.

It'll cut the out of town players commute down by at least half an hour each way.
The cost of the land will be cheaper than buying in Town
Immingham has always been home of many Town supporters and we're a North East Lincs club so it's still serving our community.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 102
lew chaterleys lover
January 4, 2024, 8:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,731
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Kris2

I'm really not sure why a training ground also needs to be a community hub anyway, surely the important thing here is finding adequate land and improving the facilities, we don't need a community centre and leisure centre complex or whatever on top of it. A football club training ground doesn't really spark a feeling of community to me anyway, not everybody in the community cares about sports or this football club, what else are they expecting to use it for?

I've also never felt the need to drive over to Cheapside and lurk around watching the players train either so maybe I'm missing the appeal of needing the training ground to be accessible to anybody other than the players and staff.

I've long advocated for a training facility to have all the things that, in a perfect world, you get with a new stadium on a large site. Community pitches, meeting rooms, business hub - all the things we say we can never have at BP because of the lack of room, and the astronomical cost of a new stadium.

If we can secure a large enough site then we can develop it over time to include things that can be used 7 days a week.

I don't know if that is the plan for this particular site, or whether the new training ground will be just for the players, but if you can't get what you ideally want (a super duper all encompassing new stadium) then you have to look at other and cheaper options.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 102
January 4, 2024, 10:12am
Guest User
Quoted from Kris2

I'm really not sure why a training ground also needs to be a community hub anyway, surely the important thing here is finding adequate land and improving the facilities, we don't need a community centre and leisure centre complex or whatever on top of it. A football club training ground doesn't really spark a feeling of community to me anyway, not everybody in the community cares about sports or this football club, what else are they expecting to use it for?

I've also never felt the need to drive over to Cheapside and lurk around watching the players train either so maybe I'm missing the appeal of needing the training ground to be accessible to anybody other than the players and staff.

Irony at it's best.

Reply: 42 - 102
GrimPol
January 4, 2024, 10:45am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Kris2

Quite right, I've passed Cheapside on numerous occasions and there are no hordes of onlookers.
If Town can build a better facility which helps/improves the team, whilst offsetting costs on other non-footballing projects (if that is the plan) then why not?
If the facility can be used by others why not? Immingham is a community and Mariner Fans live/work there. What's the fuss about?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 102
immariner
January 4, 2024, 1:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,413
Gold Stars: 61
Grew up in Immingham. The town has been crying out for training facilities, particularly all-weather ones, since the leisure centre was bulldozed. My nephews' junior teams often travel through to Gy to access the facilities at Bradley so it would be fantastic if they give community access, which i'm sure they would want to. For those that don't know the area, it would be situated next to the 13th century St Andrews church and the Pilgrim monument park, a cute little area by local standards. They'll just have to make sure they bring any potential new players in to town at Stallingborough end and not Docks end! 😄 Two very different impressions of the place
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 102
Mappers
January 4, 2024, 2:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,340
Gold Stars: 119
Seems a good location , hopefully we can raise the substantial monies  for it . If it could benefit Immingham and surrounding areas will it open up more potential grants , funding etc ?

Could be a real benefit to their town and potentially attract a few more fans from that way on ?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 102
Mappers
January 4, 2024, 2:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,340
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from immariner
Grew up in Immingham. The town has been crying out for training facilities, particularly all-weather ones, since the leisure centre was bulldozed. My nephews' junior teams often travel through to Gy to access the facilities at Bradley so it would be fantastic if they give community access, which i'm sure they would want to. For those that don't know the area, it would be situated next to the 13th century St Andrews church and the Pilgrim monument park, a cute little area by local standards. They'll just have to make sure they bring any potential new players in to town at Stallingborough end and not Docks end! 😄 Two very different impressions of the place

Is The Bluestone still there ? Have not been that way on for about 20 years
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 102
immariner
January 4, 2024, 2:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,413
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from Mappers

Is The Bluestone still there ? Have not been that way on for about 20 years

It is. Still lively by all accounts. Not spent much time in there myself as The Station in Habrough was my regular, and I haven't had a pint in the Bluey for the best part of 10 years but Gally was in there on one of the few times I did (of course)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 102
White_shorts
January 4, 2024, 3:04pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -647
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from jamesgtfc
In terms of distance, Google Maps says it takes about 40 minutes from the services at the top of 180 to get to Immingham Golf Club. Cheapside is 55 minutes, without congestion. That's saving players 30 minutes a day, 2+ hours a week (based on 4 days training).

Well... that's fair enough, I suppose.

A few months ago someone here said they'd heard a rumour about Novartis.  I assumed they were referring to the industrial site, but it has occurred to me that the club might just have been looking at the sports ground on the other side of Moody Lane.  Presumably there wouldn't have been an issue with planning permission, as a training facility is an almost identical use.  Very close to the A180, too.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5828781,-0.1165456,311m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 102
petethemariner
January 4, 2024, 3:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Unless they have enquired, i am a bit surprised the club haven't considered the Novartis sports ground, good location
west side of town for commuting players, perfect size field with a nice clubhouse/ changing rooms and with the  closure
of the plant i would have thought the purchase  cost would  have been reasonable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 102
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › New training facility.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.