Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › New training facility.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

New training facility.

This thread currently has 10,857 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
jimgtfc
January 3, 2024, 1:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,087
Gold Stars: 45

Ive lived in Habrough for 40 years and the smells are a thing of the distant past.

Immingham itself has improved enormously over the years and this would be another fillip if true.

That’s good to hear! I work in healthcare and the amount of people with respiratory conditions in the Immingham and Killingholme area compared to Grimsby and Cleethorpes is quite staggering.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 102
1mickylyons
January 3, 2024, 2:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,385
Gold Stars: 56
Hmmmm guess that ends the Barretts link that was previously suggested? Wonder if that was the original site that run foul of something?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 102
supertown
January 3, 2024, 3:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,451
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from jimgtfc

That’s good to hear! I work in healthcare and the amount of people with respiratory conditions in the Immingham and Killingholme area compared to Grimsby and Cleethorpes is quite staggering.

Cheap bacci coming into Immingham docks 😬
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 102
diehardmariner
January 3, 2024, 3:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Wasn't the original plan of it sitting in Grimsby to serve as a community hub the one that didn't happen because agreements couldn't be made?

Can't hang 1878 out to happen if they couldn't get the purchase/planning/whatever over the line and have had to adjust.

Said at the time when training ground was originally raised that I didn't think trying to have it in Gy/Clee was the best approach, both in terms of saving players time travelling and also the lack of options available.  Immingham still ticks a lot of local boxes but is that bit further down the 180 to make it much, much more accessible for anyone travelling in (without making it too far a trek for local lads).  I still think 1878 will want some sort of community hub though in Gy/Clee and I don't think it has to sit hand in hand with a training ground, although a second one in Immingham (as part of the training ground) wouldn't be too radical really.

Interesting comment regard us not using all the site and redeveloping some of it, could be a huge money spinner/funding source?
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 102
forza ivano
January 3, 2024, 5:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,179
Gold Stars: 265
Just to point out that Immingham and it's immediate environs has a population of 15-20,000, so that's quite a lot of people who seem to have very little access to these sort of facilities
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 102
AncientExiledMariner
January 3, 2024, 6:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
As long as it gives us the potential for top training facilities so it's more attractive to players and gets the best out of folk. They spent most of their time here. This will be their view of what employment is for Grimsby Town FC and is going to underpin morale.

I think the out of town sites are better for the commuters also, and as we progress, many higher earners aren't going to want to live in Grimsby (I'll be bashed for that comment, but sorry, it's true).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 102
GrimPol
January 3, 2024, 6:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -669
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from forza ivano
Just to point out that Immingham and it's immediate environs has a population of 15-20,000, so that's quite a lot of people who seem to have very little access to these sort of facilities

Build houses next to St Andrews Church, and the training ground nearer the storage tanks.
The flair offs save on floodlights, but you might need oxygen masks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 102
IlkleyMariner
January 3, 2024, 6:49pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Miming ham is within N E Lincs
That’s near enough for me….

Hope it happens and please give credit to a Board working their nuts off for progress ,,,plus Debbie of course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 102
Croxton
January 3, 2024, 11:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Poojah has cleverly appropriated landscape from another project. Locals will already have spotted that the fields, houses and roads do not align with the environs of Church Lane!   St Andrews Church is safe for now.

Many happy memories of playing in the fields and lanes around there pre Golf Club days. Sixty five years have flown by since I fired an arrow through a stained glass window.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 102
Kris2
January 4, 2024, 8:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from diehardmariner
Wasn't the original plan of it sitting in Grimsby to serve as a community hub the one that didn't happen because agreements couldn't be made?

Can't hang 1878 out to happen if they couldn't get the purchase/planning/whatever over the line and have had to adjust.

Said at the time when training ground was originally raised that I didn't think trying to have it in Gy/Clee was the best approach, both in terms of saving players time travelling and also the lack of options available.  Immingham still ticks a lot of local boxes but is that bit further down the 180 to make it much, much more accessible for anyone travelling in (without making it too far a trek for local lads).  I still think 1878 will want some sort of community hub though in Gy/Clee and I don't think it has to sit hand in hand with a training ground, although a second one in Immingham (as part of the training ground) wouldn't be too radical really.

Interesting comment regard us not using all the site and redeveloping some of it, could be a huge money spinner/funding source?

I'm really not sure why a training ground also needs to be a community hub anyway, surely the important thing here is finding adequate land and improving the facilities, we don't need a community centre and leisure centre complex or whatever on top of it. A football club training ground doesn't really spark a feeling of community to me anyway, not everybody in the community cares about sports or this football club, what else are they expecting to use it for?

I've also never felt the need to drive over to Cheapside and lurk around watching the players train either so maybe I'm missing the appeal of needing the training ground to be accessible to anybody other than the players and staff.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 102
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › New training facility.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.