GrimExile
November 24, 2023, 6:26pm
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
I think the big problem here is whether you agree with his opinions and politics or not, is that the BBC is meant to be impartial. Therefore when someone who is employed by the BBC, even on a freelance basis, is not impartial then it causes a big problem. It’s in the BBC’s constitution that they must be impartial and whether they are or not is another argument. However Lineker is not impartial and I think the BBC who are literally paying him millions of pounds have the right to ask him to moderate his opinions. I know he and many others say it’s his personal account and he’s voicing his personal opinion not the BBC’s, but he is being very naive in expecting to get away with it ad infinitum when the BBC are paying him such a vast sum of money. In my humble opinion the BBC have the right to ask him to be impartial because they are meant to be and all said and done all the other presenters all seem to toe the line.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 122
GrimPol
November 24, 2023, 6:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from diehardmariner

Ok.  I'll bite.

What 'point' does he have?  That there are indeed extremists out there, across all walks of life, religion, creed, colour etc. etc.?  On that I won't argue and I don't disagree.

My England looks like a place that acknowledges that a few views don't represent a far larger group. It doesn't really care for colours, religions and indeed hate.  It welcomes the freedom that we all have of speech and thought.  What it doesn't welcome is bigoted views, regardless of where they come from.

Is that enough for you?

Would you say this forum fairly reflects " It welcomes the freedom that we all have of speech and thought" ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 122
chaos33
November 24, 2023, 6:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
But that logic applies to literally no other people. Christ, you’ve even got Tory MPs interviewing Tory MPs on GB News and OFCOM are ignoring the flagrant rule breach. My issue is - there are too many people expressing trenchant opinions on their right to free speech and hostility to those who try to close down that right or who express their offence. They say…‘get over it, you snowflake’. Then Gary Lineker shares a video (he didn’t express an opinion) and they lose their fu**ing minds and want him sacked. It’s absolutely ludicrous. What some people want is; free speech for some people, but not for others. They want to smash the ‘offended’ and tell them to get a grip, and then they meltdown with offence when Gary Lineker dares to utter a word.

I do wish people would take a step back and see what’s really going on in this client-journalist populism freak show. Jesus- you’ve even got the Daily Mail today saying ‘Suella leads the rebellion against mass immigration’. How can you lead the revolt against something you were responsible for until last f*ucking Tuesday?! It’s an insane gaslight and it needs calling out.

Gary Lineker can say what the hell he wants on his own platform and anyone can then debate his views, just the same as anyone else. The rules apply to everyone or they don’t apply at all…….and you get idiot citizens actually defending and supporting it. This is pure post truth territory now.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 122
mariner91
November 24, 2023, 6:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,661
Gold Stars: 262
I must have missed the outcry about Andrew Neil spending literally decades presenting on the BBC despite his very publicised personal beliefs and opinions?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 122
Germo66
November 24, 2023, 9:09pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +120
Gold Stars: 1
Is this the right room for an argument  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 122
friskneymariner
November 24, 2023, 9:55pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Germo66

I'VE ALREADY TOLD YOU.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 122
barralad
November 24, 2023, 11:33pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Germo66

I've told you once

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 122
chaos33
November 25, 2023, 4:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91
I must have missed the outcry about Andrew Neil spending literally decades presenting on the BBC despite his very publicised personal beliefs and opinions?

Yes, his right wing, pro Brexit views…..so that’s ok. These GB News/Talk TV/Daily Mail ghouls will have ordinary people conned and manipulated into thinking that broken, divided Britain is down to the ‘woke left’ or Gary Lineker, or the anti growth coalition or scores of other f***ing concocted fantasy groups, when really, nobody has been anywhere near power for almost a decade and a half, but the Tories.
There are hundreds of thousands of people in this country who have been conned, hoodwinked and manipulated into voting and opining against their own interests whilst this horrendous collection of low grade, interchangeable public servants and client journalists ensure that public money is redistributed away from public services into private hands and public opinion is manipulated into looking away from the truth and towards completely fabricated, imaginary sources of blame - Gary Lineker, the EU, the ‘woke left, immigrants, striking doctors’……

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 122
grimsby pete
November 25, 2023, 4:57am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
I agree with that bloke who's rockets keep blowing up and his cars that keep catching fire.

Free speech means it allows people you don't like have the right to say things you don't like.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 122
chaos33
November 25, 2023, 5:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

I've told you once

🙂

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 122
13 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Lineker Gobbing Off Again

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.