Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,317
Gold Stars: 117
To the car .

Relieved

Well played Town

Green and Glennon superb, the rest not far behind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
AncientExiledMariner
November 11, 2023, 5:07pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
I'm going to say something that probably wouldn't have been uttered much.

We really missed Green...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 125
chaos33
November 11, 2023, 5:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Get in Town!! Come on!!

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 125
LocalLadGTFC
November 11, 2023, 5:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,216
Gold Stars: 137
From the second minute we went on the front foot and the brakes were let off, controlled the game in the first half and could of easily gone in 2 ahead. Took our chances in the second half playing some really nice football and looked better defensively until we made whole sale changes and Morecambe threw caution to the wind. Special mentions to Khan, Glennon, Rose, Pyke, Green and Gav today. Pyke really impressed me out on that right hand side and was very intelligent with how he dragged the defence around leaving space for Mullarkey to get beyond him. Glennon looked back to the Glennon we had on loan and was marauding up and down. Gav and Greeny really combative and controlled the midfield most the game. A really solid display front foot display against the most inform team in the divison barring Stockport. Defensive concerns but plenty to be positive about.. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 125
Badger57
November 11, 2023, 5:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,896
Gold Stars: 30
Best game I've seen this season. (I missed a couple where we supposedly played well.)
A sense of purpose and determination with some exciting and skillful play that I've not seen previously.
Well done Ben and Shaun. 👏
MOM Glennon despite that frightening clearance /back pass!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 125
Hagrid
November 11, 2023, 5:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,416
Gold Stars: 534
Get in there!!

After 1 minute you thought oh my god as the defence parted like the red sea yet again but felt we then dominated the rest of the 1st half, missed chances, good saves

Came out second half and the brilliant Danny Rose got us level and we played like a house of fire. Green Pyke and Holohan were excellent with Rose my MOM

I think we made too many changes…. And the left hand side became weak as we invited pressure and they certainly had chances to level but we ground it out thank god.

Some wont like this, but Hunt was invisible when he came on and I dont see things working for him here, and I think we should stick with the 3 who started today going forward

But thats for another day, We won. Enjoy your weekends
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 125
Spurn boy
November 11, 2023, 5:17pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,238
Gold Stars: 27
Well done town for a very entertaining game, I thought after the 2nd minute it would be very much the same as previous games but the players responded and tonight must feel proud of themselves. UTM

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 125
It Bites
November 11, 2023, 5:23pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,164
Gold Stars: 264
First 10 mins we were all over the place . Then something happened and it clicked . I enjoyed a home game of football for the first time in god knows how long . We were brilliant 2nd half and the 3 goals didn’t flatter us at all . Beat Slough on Tuesday and we will have some good momentum for a change .
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 125
AncientExiledMariner
November 11, 2023, 5:30pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
So Pyke has goal conversion on par with Rose and virtually the same goals per minute. I'm not saying for one minute that he's better, but we need to lay off him a bit and support him. He's still developing and doesn't have many league minutes under his belt that isn't at WB.

For a third choice striker, it ain't bad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/grimsby-town/top-scorers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 125
1mickylyons
November 11, 2023, 5:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,385
Gold Stars: 56
Well done Town a very Happy home crowd at 90 mins as above Green and Glennon superb the rest got better as the game went on.I would like to single out young Cartwright for special praise one great save and came confidently for several dangerous crosses . Any prospective Manager watching that can be confident that if nothing else he's got players who will have a go .See you all Tuesday night UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 125
Grimal
November 11, 2023, 5:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Well, what can you say ,thats the best I've seen Town play for an age, the team played as if their shackles had been removed. A special mention for Cartwright,I thought he was outstanding today ,which would have given the defence more confidence.
Rose though was my MOM,he's a class above. It's good to see Green back,he makes things tick in the middle. I think Shaun and Ben can take some credit for todays result,lets hope the tide has turned. Was also great to hear the fans get behind the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 125
lukeo
November 11, 2023, 5:42pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Positives :
Some very good individual performances. Holohan, Green and Khan stood out for me.
Very good attacking play.
Plenty of men committed forward
Plenty of shots
Played the ball on the floor or into channels as much as possible
Substitutes not obvious and 'the usual'

Negatives :
Defensively awful

I really enjoyed the game and really felt town really gave it a go. Be interesting to see what happens over the next week or two regards games / manager(s)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 125
Simon
November 11, 2023, 5:49pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +237
Gold Stars: 33
Finally the shackles have been removed and we took the game to them, it lifted the players and the supporters, far from the finished article but much better UTM  

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 125
TwoLeftFeet
November 11, 2023, 5:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,076
Gold Stars: 18
Great to see players getting in the box trying to get on the end of things..really positive performance well done Ben and Shaun
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 125
HertsGTFC
November 11, 2023, 5:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,916
Gold Stars: 228
Good performance, great effort to come from behind. Good to see a few players who the boo boys got stuck into making a difference.

First half a new manager would think that there isn’t much to work with, 2nd half they would think differently.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 125
MuddyWaters
November 11, 2023, 5:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Entertainment ✅
Goals ✅
Positive energy ✅
Three points ✅

Mom Glennon for me
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 125
It Bites
November 11, 2023, 6:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,164
Gold Stars: 264
One thing I do find incredible is how Grimsby Town affect me . I’ve been struggling this week but I feel like a million dollars right now . I guess that’s why I love them so much 🥰
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 125
Yoda
November 11, 2023, 6:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
Great game best match in ages the handbrake has been finally taken off.
Second half superb you could see the players growing with confidence Rose, Glennon and Green superb.
Also the fans where brilliant great atmosphere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 125
lew chaterleys lover
November 11, 2023, 6:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
We gave Morecambe so much to think about it nullified what talent they have.

That's how the game should be played - on the front foot giving the opposition nightmares with plenty of movement. Early days but it goes to show how a different outlook can work wonders.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 125
ginnywings
November 11, 2023, 6:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,127
Gold Stars: 548
Absolutely, thoroughly deserved 3 points against a good side full of confidence. We were the better team from minute one after we gifted them our usual sloppy goal. We really should have been at least level, and probably in front at half time, with the finish being the only thing missing and plenty of excellent crosses went in from Glennon and Khan, without anyone getting on the end of them, bar Holohan who skied a good chance on his weaker foot.

I wonder if Shaun and Ben had a word about gambling more and getting on the end of stuff, because right from the first minute of the second half, we were getting in great crosses and causing problems; only this time, we were getting on the end and finishing them off. 3 goals came quickly and Morecambe looked a bit shell shocked. We had a great chance to get a 4th but somehow they managed to keep it out and slowly work their way back into it. We then lost our way for a bit with a series of substitutions which made us lose the flow a bit.

We've not found ourselves in this position much this season and for a while we didn't look like we knew how to close the game out, leading to them getting back into it with a very well worked goal, which led to some very nervy moments on the pitch and in the crowd, but we saw it out and fully deserved the 3 points.

Green was immense and put paid to the view that he is just a destroyer. He is a much better footballer than people give him credit for. Glennon was superb for an hour and his crosses and dead balls were mostly quality. Going forward, he was fantastic and my joint MOM with Green.

The team as a whole played very well, mostly on the front foot, bar a couple of manic moments at the back, which we need to get a grip of, but that is being churlish on a a day we got a great win.

Finally, we win a game 3-2 after losing many by that score.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 125
supertown
November 11, 2023, 6:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,452
Gold Stars: 53
Just realised we play the bottom two next in the league
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 125
Spurn boy
November 11, 2023, 6:24pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Approval: +1,238
Quoted from It Bites
One thing I do find incredible is how Grimsby Town affect me . I’ve been struggling this week but I feel like a million dollars right now . I guess that’s why I love them so much 🥰

It’s amazing how a Town win can lift us up from periods of depression and stress and make us feel so much happier.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 125
The_Laughing_Mariner
November 11, 2023, 6:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
Great performance, great entertainment,  fully endorse the positive comment, but it's only one game.  Let's see where we are in a couple of weeks before we say we have turned the corner.

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 125
Azimuth
November 11, 2023, 6:26pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Attack the best form of defence sometimes and we made that point today, release the brakes and allow the team some freedom to attack, create problems and take the game to the opposition which is what we ha e been missing at BP for a long time.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 125
fishcake63
November 11, 2023, 6:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from Hagrid
Get in there!!

After 1 minute you thought oh my god as the defence parted like the red sea yet again but felt we then dominated the rest of the 1st half, missed chances, good saves

Came out second half and the brilliant Danny Rose got us level and we played like a house of fire. Green Pyke and Holohan were excellent with Rose my MOM

I think we made too many changes…. And the left hand side became weak as we invited pressure and they certainly had chances to level but we ground it out thank god.

Some wont like this, but Hunt was invisible when he came on and I dont see things working for him here, and I think we should stick with the 3 who started today going forward

So he had 15 mins & thats the end for him wow , the other week it was glennon & returns with a mom performance today , confidence that's all it is & hunt will play many more games for town when a manager comes in & supports his game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 125
Hagrid
November 11, 2023, 6:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from fishcake63

So he had 15 mins & thats the end for him wow , the other week it was glennon & returns with a mom performance today , confidence that's all it is & hunt will play many more games for town when a manager comes in & supports his game

It isnt just the 15 minutes though is it.

He’s 5th?6th choice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 125
Mappers
November 11, 2023, 6:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Pyke is such a better player when he's facing the play

You can see why he did well in league 1 down the right

Tommy mentioned to me how clever a player he is today aswell, dragging opposition players out of position to create space for others .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 125
moosey_club
November 11, 2023, 6:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,251
Gold Stars: 226
Really enjoyed that. Wingers taking players on, decent deliveries,  forward passes , high tempo.

More please.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 125
MuddyWaters
November 11, 2023, 6:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid
Get in there!!

I don’t deny that the midfield three who started deserve the accolades but to write off a sub who came on when they were pressing is pretty pathetic. You might be right but support the whole squad rather than look for a boo boy.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 125
Hagrid
November 11, 2023, 6:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I don’t deny that the midfield three who started deserve the accolades but to write off a sub who came on when they were pressing is pretty pathetic. You might be right but support the whole squad rather than look for a boo boy.

How i knew you’d respond when Hunt’s name is mentioned. I support the whole squad. I go week in week out home and away. I never boo, and I never will, I just dont think its going to work out for him here thats all I was saying
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 125
CSLM
November 11, 2023, 6:43pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +638
Gold Stars: 12
Decent game.
Great to see more players get into dangerous positions.
Holohan has been brilliant in a few of the games at home including this one.

I'm surprised nobody has really mentioned Andrews. He looks a level above to me. Can definitely pass a ball but really gets stuck in and won the ball back numerous times.

Good stuff.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 125
LocalLadGTFC
November 11, 2023, 6:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,216
Gold Stars: 137
Probably the wrong game for Hunt to be brought on in, we know his strengths and his weaknesses and we probably needed a bit more bite in midfield. They were going direct and throwing men forward so automatically makes it difficult for him to get on the ball but can see why they brought him on. Probably wanted to try and gain a hold of the game which he struggled to do due to them throwing caution to the wind.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 125
MuddyWaters
November 11, 2023, 6:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

How i knew you’d respond when Hunt’s name is mentioned. I support the whole squad. I go week in week out home and away. I never boo, and I never will, I just dont think its going to work out for him here thats all I was saying

I’m sure Alex would be delighted to read your expert opinion.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 125
quebec38
November 11, 2023, 6:51pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,578
Gold Stars: 48
Today I just wanted to see players getting past their man and a bit of effort. On the sidelines I wanted to see the staff influence the game, whether that was ideas to give us enough time to get back in to it or better still, go on and win it. I don’t think it’s too much to ask but it all of the above have been lacking for a long time but today that wasn’t the case.

The players were magnificent. Every single one of them. We could have had double figures today. Balls in to dangerous areas, players gambling to get in to said areas and effort everywhere. It was a nervy last 10 minutes but the bodies being thrown in the way of every ball was fantastic.

Shaun and Ben were bang on with the team selection. I liked it before the game bar Pyke on the wing but I have to hold my hand up and say I got that one wrong because he was pretty influential there and gave everything. I liked that they tried to get players involved from the bench albeit a couple were forced through fatigue I think. Shaun’s enthusiasm as ever was wonderful to see.

I’ll leave it there; just a really enjoyable day today where every member of the playing team and staff deserve the plaudits.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 125
acko338
November 11, 2023, 6:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,224
Gold Stars: 33
A good battling performance with a higher workrate causing the opponents to make mistakes.

Shaky start, but no heads dropped and with better positioning and shooting could have scored more from open chances made.

Forget the short goal kick routine, no.one looks comfortable with it, and Cartwright's kicking is getting better.

Sweeping moves at speed, with crosses made early to players running onto them - devastating !!

Shows they have it, just need freedom to play and not stutter up and down the pitch.

Some excellent personal.performances with players showing more form !

More of the same in the next 2 games, please !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 125
Hagrid
November 11, 2023, 6:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’m sure Alex would be delighted to read your expert opinion.

Well we’ve been subject to yours on all matters Hurst for god knows how many months so I’m sure you can deal with it
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 125
jimgtfc
November 11, 2023, 6:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,086
Gold Stars: 45
Blimey, first positive afternoon we’ve had for ages and some can’t wait to get on here and write off a players town career, what a strange bunch!

Anyway, that was so much better! Front foot, high energy football. Not always pretty but the work ethic and team spirit was there in abundance. Hopeful for 3 more positive results next.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 125
MuddyWaters
November 11, 2023, 7:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

Well we’ve been subject to yours on all matters Hurst for god knows how many months so I’m sure you can deal with it

There’s players in the squad who took the chance that a start gave them (you rightly named them on Twitter) and there’s maybe more to come from others when they get a chance.

Who knows what a new manager might do when we get one?
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 125
fishcake63
November 11, 2023, 7:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

It isnt just the 15 minutes though is it.

He’s 5th?6th choice.

At this moment in time you are right 5th/6th choice but football is not as easy as that a new manager can come in get his confidence up & he has the ability to be in our midfield on a more regular basis watch this space
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 125
davmariner
November 11, 2023, 7:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,931
Gold Stars: 79
Sadly Hunt isn’t good enough. Bar two months in the National League, he hasn’t really done anything to show that he’s going to make it in the pro game.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 125
Mappers
November 11, 2023, 7:05pm
Champagne Drinker
It was nice to see how happy Amos was at the end aswell .

He went over to Glennon and gave him some big hugs .

I'm no affectionate  person, but they do seem a good bunch of lads and seem to care at least .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 125
Hagrid
November 11, 2023, 7:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

There’s players in the squad who took the chance that a start gave them (you rightly named them on Twitter) and there’s maybe more to come from others when they get a chance.

Thats fair enough. Sorry for coming across as a male private.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 125
chipsandgravy
November 11, 2023, 7:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,611
Gold Stars: 37
That really gave me a shot in the arm which i deperately needed so god knows what it did for the team. Doesnt half make a difference to my Saturday night.
Was pleased for Green in particular. It was great to see a midfielder in the box and score a great goal. Much as I like Conteh i dont think he would have been in that position previously.
We may have just found our team!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 125
Yoda
November 11, 2023, 7:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
Hunt hasn’t played for ages he needs a run on the team to prove himself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 125
ginnywings
November 11, 2023, 7:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I was out of my seat 5 or 6 times today, and that is how it should be. Spent too many games sat glumly, waiting for something exciting to happen.

Win, lose or draw, it's not much to ask is it?

Also loved it when Rose beat a couple of players and tried to do the goalie from 40 yards. That's the sort of thing you see when confidence is returning.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 125
Marinerdeano
November 11, 2023, 7:24pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Got to hold my hands up. I was getting so anxious in the week, suggesting we should just get a manager sorted before we were marooned. It's what loving your club does to you at times. However, great prep from Shaun and Ben. High press, drive, move ball quickly back to forward, get it out wide, great balls in the box, shackles off. We showed intent. Hats off! UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 125
Maringer
November 11, 2023, 7:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,509
Gold Stars: 185
Amazing what a difference it makes when you actually pass to your own players and they also attempt to move into space to receive the ball!

Some excellent crosses today as well, of the sort I've rarely seen us put in this season.

The physical side of things in the middle certainly helped with Green, Holohan and Andrews all putting in a good shift in that regard. Notably, their big No. 5 who came on at half-time was marking Green at set pieces which shows how they thought he was a real threat in the air. Some good passing and movement from Green and Holohan as well as the hard work.

Defensively, there is still a lot to work on as we were distinctly ropey at times and, confidence is certainly a good thing, but we got away with over-playing a few times and losing possession in dangerous areas.

The disappointment was that we dropped right off after the substitutions as the players who came on weren't able to replicate what their teammates had been doing. Hopefully, Green and Glennon can get their fitness up over the next month (and stay fit, as well). At least we managed to hold on for a deserved win.

A surprise to see Clifton coming on for Andrews, instead of Conteh, but I suspect his greater pace and stamina was thought to be more important and it ultimately worked out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 125
Germo66
November 11, 2023, 7:37pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +120
Gold Stars: 1
Well done Ben and Shaun, they picked the best team today
The players have also shown us what they can do.
Some great football today, really  enjoyed the game
UtM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 125
Mrbump53
November 11, 2023, 7:40pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +335
Gold Stars: 11
It was quite telling that when we conceded after 1min no-one around me was shocked. Moving the ball quickly, switching play and then again really showed what this team is capable of. Still a few scary moments in defence but great result!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 125
MuddyWaters
November 11, 2023, 7:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

Thats fair enough. Sorry for coming across as a male private.

Fair do’s. I think it’s worth mentioning Cartwright too - he made two great saves. All any player can do is take his chance when it comes.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 125
tashee69
November 11, 2023, 7:56pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +955
Gold Stars: 23
What pleased me most about todays game, was the fact that so many players could have been man of the match for the right reason and it would have been hard to disagree.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 125
fishcake63
November 11, 2023, 7:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
exactly that & hunt will get his chance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 125
friskneymariner
November 11, 2023, 8:01pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Nobody has mentioned it,but I thought Andrews had an excellent game, him and Khan linked up very well.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 125
ancientmariner54
November 11, 2023, 8:01pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: -185
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We've already got them .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 125
LH
November 11, 2023, 8:04pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,519
Gold Stars: 173
Well that was very enjoyable wasn’t it? Glennon stand out for me but thought they were all pretty good once we’d got past that initial disappointment. Do that again over the next few games and we’ll be laughing.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 125
Mappers
November 11, 2023, 8:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I was out of my seat 5 or 6 times today, and that is how it should be. Spent too many games sat glumly, waiting for something exciting to happen.

Win, lose or draw, it's not much to ask is it?

Also loved it when Rose beat a couple of players and tried to do the goalie from 40 yards. That's the sort of thing you see when confidence is returning.

No you are right

We need to be entertained , and today was how it should be at home - win ,lose or draw you give the team a good battering .

Let's hope it's a sign of things to come and we can get BP full again .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 125
HatTrickHero
November 11, 2023, 8:23pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: +777
Gold Stars: 25
I'm not writing off Hunt until the new manager has settled in. Glennon was written off and missing from the squad in Hurst's final days, but has come back flying. Orsi was given 10 minutes at the end of games then released but showed with Crawley hes a handy player over 90.

New start for the team, only fair to wipe all the slates clean and see what they can do in a new environment.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 125
golfer
November 11, 2023, 8:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,432
Gold Stars: 116
If they play like that 3rd quarter they will be going places.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 125
Rodley Mariner
November 11, 2023, 8:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
I thought Danny Rose was superb today. Works so hard and set the tempo from the start. Poachers goal, brilliant header to make the second. Never stopped.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 125
MuddyWaters
November 11, 2023, 8:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I thought Danny Rose was superb today. Works so hard and set the tempo from the start. Poachers goal, brilliant header to make the second. Never stopped.

I’m in total agreement with the caveat that Pyke got closer to him so all his hard work didn’t get wasted.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 125
TownSNAFU5
November 11, 2023, 8:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
I said just before the match that we would win.  Reasoning that all teams must win sometime and teams in good current have to lose.

Winning and being entertained with such attacking football was a very refreshing change.  It looked like the team changes were very good calls and a catalyst for the outstanding team performance.

(A day for a change in fortunes.  Just before leaving Dock’s to drive to the game, we laughed at Wolves quoted at 80-1 to beat Spurs when losing in the 88Th minute.  As we parked up Wolves scored the winner).

If we win on Tuesday our old foe Rodrigues (ex Notts County) scored 2 goals for Oxford and was the MOM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 125
Rodley Mariner
November 11, 2023, 8:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’m in total agreement with the caveat that Pyke got closer to him so all his hard work didn’t get wasted.

Agree 100% Thought more physicality next to him really helped.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 125
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 11, 2023, 8:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Really pleasing performance in a lot of ways and particularly the positive way we reacted to giving away such a dreadful goal in the first minute and then nearly repeating the error some ten minutes later. The real positive was our commitment to drive forwards at every opportunity and the leaders in this, particularly first half, were Khan and Glennon who just kept bombing forward and getting in shots and decent crosses one of which should have seen Gav equalise. Rodgers looked completely out of sorts for the first half hour but gradually the confidence seemed to return little by little and he was much better second half.

As I say really positive going forwards but a few times it was a little too easy to get through our midfield and get at the defence but thankfully we managed to ride these storms and come through with a win. Don’t see how so many rated Pyke so highly but it just demonstrates how we all see the game differently.

Not a day to consider the negatives though as if we play on the front foot as we did today at least the games are going to be much more enjoyable and hopefully we will witness many more victories.

Well played town very good and great to hear a very bubbly Ben Davies in the after match interview.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 125
spuggybridge
November 11, 2023, 8:49pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +41
Gold Stars: 1
After they scored I thought here we go again, but boy was I wrong.  The commitment from everyone of the players was totally unexpected when compared to previous games (seems we've got our steel back), also noticed that the running off the ball was a definite step up, got to give the interim management credit today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 125
chaos33
November 11, 2023, 9:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Proper uplift in standards in every regard from the players. Just what was called for. Gotta maintain those standards now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 125
November 11, 2023, 9:06pm
Guest User
Quoted from ancientmariner54

We've already got them .

I bloody hope not.

Reply: 65 - 125
ginnywings
November 11, 2023, 10:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
According to their manager, it was our "cup final". Morecambe FFS.

Same said by one of their players in a post match interview, who intimated we didn't play much football.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 125
grimps
November 11, 2023, 10:24pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Would we have seen a game like this of Hurst was in charge ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 125
smokin joe
November 11, 2023, 10:34pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: -128
no we would have lost 5  3 if hurst was here
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 125
HertsGTFC
November 11, 2023, 10:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I think Hunt & Eissa both looked like lambs when they came on, to be fair it sometimes happens when you’re a sub.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 125
Badger57
November 11, 2023, 10:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,896
Gold Stars: 30
OK, I've had a few sherbets but wasn't it flipping BRILLIANT to see us win with a little bit of skill, style and panache for once in too flipping long of a long time! 😁
Black clouds lifting! 😁 ☀ 😎
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 125
HertsGTFC
November 11, 2023, 10:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
According to their manager, it was our "cup final". Morecambe FFS.

Same said by one of their players in a post match interview, who intimated we didn't play much football.

More digs than British Coal “long ball” “cup final” never mentioned “3 points last as we couldn’t be @rsed to play until the last 10 minutes” 🙄

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 125
grimsby pete
November 11, 2023, 10:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Can I add I have enjoyed reading the fishy tonight with most posters only saying positive things.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 125
Norseman
November 11, 2023, 11:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
How does Adams know every teams budget to say his is the lowest in the league ffs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 125
Chrisblor
November 11, 2023, 11:29pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,811
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Hagrid

Really? Last weekend you were claiming "you cannot play Glennon" (receipt here - https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1699190067/s-210/#num215) and today it was a toss up between him and Green for man of the match. Writing off Hunt on the basis of a brief cameo while we're defending a 2 goal lead is ridiculous (and the goal we conceded while he was on the pitch had nothing to do with him and at least two other substitutes were at fault for it, yet you've not mentioned their names, funny that).

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 125
Poojah
November 11, 2023, 11:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,539
Gold Stars: 1,500
Just back in foggy Leeds. Wow. Turns out you can still enjoy football.

I woke up up this morning with an overwhelming sense of “I don’t think I can be ársed”. A three hour round trip to witness almost certain defeat, and probably a turgid one to boot? What would be the point? Alas, like an alcoholic with a stinking hangover, the power of habit and an illogical sense of necessity got the better of me, and I made the journey. Did I mention I had a stinking hangover? It had better be good…

I was approaching the end of the A180 when the team news arrived via JT on the radio. Blimey. 6 changes!? No fúcking about there. It took some time to mentally process the changes made. No Clifton or Conteh? Bold. Pyke starts? Very fúcking bold.

But did it give me confidence in a result? Not really, no lineup would have. I posted in the week, in response to the idea that the crowd should arrive loud and proud to back the team, that it would ultimately come down to what the players did on the pitch. Start poorly, concede an early soft goal, as I thought we might well, and you lose any good will those in the stands arrived with.

So what did we do? Ironically, 69 seconds is all it took for our defence to part like the legs of a Lithuanian hooker, giving Morecambe a golden opportunity and receiving heavy blow at the same time. Get me. Wasn’t I prescient? Time for the crowd to turn nasty, and the players to wilt.

Except none of that happened. The crowd stayed behind the team. The players knuckled down and got on top of things. Perhaps I wasn’t so prescient after all. As it would transpire, I definitely wasn’t. But fair play to all concerned for that response.  

The effort levels on the back of that early goal, quite literally the last thing we needed, were incredible. Glennon, Khan and Andrews linking down the left were superb, and all Morecambe had to offer was a series of niggly fouls that eventually began to draw yellow cards due to the quantity of them.

But there was still something important missing. For all the effort, for all the guile, for all the confidence you could see steadily building, we couldn’t score for toffee. With our best chance of the half, Holohan cleared the bar by a good 6 yards when it was surely easier to score. Would we ever score?

Just as I was suggesting that we most definitely would not, fresh from a half-time pint, their ‘keeper drops the ball on Kieran Green’s head, it falls to Danny, Danny Rose, and he sticks it into the gaping net. Of course he does.

And then before I can even take stock of that goal, there’s the second. The fúcking second!! Get the fúcking fúck in!! I didn’t see that coming. What a great ball in from Glennon, the header from Rose and the calm, casual, side-footed volley from Green. This isn’t taken from this season’s script, is it?

And then, before too long, there’s the third! The fúcking fúcking third!! What’s going on!? I’m sat at the perfect angle in the lower as Holohan picks up the ball on the edge of the Morecambe box, and I can see the opportunity on play the ball through to Glennon on the left opening up, but it’s so tight, it needs threading through two Shrimpers defenders with such precision it’s a huge ask. But thread it he does, and Glennon plays it first-time into the six-yard box for Pyke to bundle home. He almost got another shortly after, too. His selection vindicated. Completely.

Morecambe’s late goal made things a bit interesting, in a game that had everything really, but I have newfound confidence in young Harvey Cartwright in goal, who stopped everything he had a right to today. Chuffed for the lad. He made a couple of brilliant saves, and looked confident in general.

In context, the most enjoyable league game at BP since our return to the EFL. It was a win, and performance, we needed. It was a win, and performance, I needed. Way too early to be suggesting a Pearson / Davies combo as a viable option as our next management team; but today they were asked to manage a game, and boy did they manage it well - from start to finish. Everything they did was logical and absolutely spot on.

Well done, gents.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 125
davmariner
November 12, 2023, 12:27am
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,931
Nothing much to add, other than that I’m really pleased for Shaun and Ben who I know will be putting the hours in.

A couple of observations in that I thought Maher once again looked shaky initially but did grow into the game. Is there a confidence issue with him? More generally I do feel that defensively we miss that strong, commanding, leadership presence at the back.

Easy for me to say in hindsight but thought moving Clifton to left back and bringing Hunt on was perhaps a sub too far and made us more vulnerable (and cost us that second goal). If we were making changes to shore us up at the back, I’d have brought Waterfall on to win those headers and get the ball away from the box into row z.

Well done to Harvey Cartwright too, who has stepped up, proving people wrong who’d written him off and provided us with that solidity when it looked as if we were heading towards a real goalkeeping crisis.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 125
LH
November 12, 2023, 12:36am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,519
Gold Stars: 173
Just remembered another thing from today: whoever it was who was so desperate to beat some pedestrians crossing to get into the road coming out of Sidney Park that you went straight into the car in front of you: well done 🤪
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 125
Theimperialcoroner
November 12, 2023, 1:04am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,212
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from LH
Just remembered another thing from today: whoever it was who was so desperate to beat some pedestrians crossing to get into the road coming out of Sidney Park that you went straight into the car in front of you: well done 🤪

Similarly the male private who thought it was clever to race in front of my dad who is struggling with a stick at the moment, now has a lovely dent in the back of his shitty little car. I may or may not have done that.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 125
Mayaman
November 12, 2023, 1:34am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74
I
d barely parked my backside and flipped the lid off my bottle of beer and we were one down. Bloody hell!   We had a couple of scares at the back after that, but going forward you could see a difference. There was some excellent running off the ball and the link up play on the left was magnificent. I forgot we were losing because it felt we would equalise soon.  The ruddy ball just wouldn't go in.  Maybe their goal being so early was a blessing in disguise.  It gave us fight and time to do it. We just needed the run of the green , which we had had  little of the games this season. Then came that fumble.  I half expected a whistle for a foul on the keeper. The spirit was back.  The players seemed to know where they were. They moved the ball quicker. They played the ball out of the back but were less pedestrian.  And if you couldn't play it out the back, they played accurate long balls. They were playing less predictably.  They were threading ball to feet and following the pass, reminiscent of Buckley's teams. My usual Saturday night posture of slumped, turned more animated.  Well done Town.  

Cartwright looked better, he started to command his area.  Khan played a blinder but was overshadowed by Glennon and Green.  Pyke's best game for sure.  Some of the players looked dead on their feet, but they kept running.

We can't rest on our laurels.  We need to put Slough to the sword.  It will build our confidence.

UTM!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 125
MuddyWaters
November 12, 2023, 7:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from davmariner
Nothing much to add, other than that I’m really pleased for Shaun and Ben who I know will be putting the hours in.

A couple of observations in that I thought Maher once again looked shaky initially but did grow into the game. Is there a confidence issue with him? More generally I do feel that defensively we miss that strong, commanding, leadership presence at the back.

Easy for me to say in hindsight but thought moving Clifton to left back and bringing Hunt on was perhaps a sub too far and made us more vulnerable (and cost us that second goal). If we were making changes to shore us up at the back, I’d have brought Waterfall on to win those headers and get the ball away from the box into row z.

Well done to Harvey Cartwright too, who has stepped up, proving people wrong who’d written him off and provided us with that solidity when it looked as if we were heading towards a real goalkeeping crisis.

Clifton to left back was a necessity though. Glennon was copulated.
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 125
Mayaman
November 12, 2023, 7:47am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Clifton to left back was a necessity though. Glennon was copulated.

Ran himself into the ground.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 125
monkeyboy
November 12, 2023, 8:29am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
2 unbeaten for the new managers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 125
Madeleymariner
November 12, 2023, 8:44am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,052
Gold Stars: 49
Will have to stop watching Town, Ive only missed watching 2 games (some live, some on tv) this season, yesterday and Gillingham our best performances this season.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 125
Chrisblor
November 12, 2023, 8:49am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,811
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Hagrid

Seens as you want to dig up old posts, Here is one from after the game.

Maybe in your world you’ve never said anything and been proven wrong subsequently, but i highly doubt it

Tweet 1723385700366557555 will appear here...

Not sure what your tweets have to do with specifically targeting players for unwarranted criticism in the immediate aftermath of a victory!

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 125
diehardmariner
November 12, 2023, 9:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Anyway.... Rather than digging up he said, she said etc. how about we just enjoy a great win from a very entertaining game in which I thought everyone was excellent?

Started off shaky as hell and I feared the worst at 1 down when thru continued to waltz through our defence.  Rodgers went from a horrible first ten minutes to something like his early season form for the other 80.

Cartwright was magnificent and his command of the area was a joy to watch. I cannot believe the difference in him from the FL Trophy games. Glennon was my MOTM, best from in over a year. Looked 2 yards quicker and with genuine fire in his belly.

Midfield was spot on.  Markers laid down from Clifton and Conteh if they want to get back in.  Don't think Hunt was anonymous when he came on, was a few times he broke their defensive line with his runs but wasn't picked out.  Loved seeing more proactive subs but at the time he came on the balance of the side had gone a bit, left hand side was completely changed with Glennon and Khan exhausted.

Loads better seeing Rose not isolated, bet he's forgotten how it felt to win a header and not have to chase it down yourself.

It's very, very early days and I'm not advocating the decision. But Davies and Pearson have certainly made a good start, with that I'm sure added themselves to the thoughts of any decisions.
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 125
chaos33
November 12, 2023, 9:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

Not sure what your tweets have to do with specifically targeting players for unwarranted criticism in the immediate aftermath of a victory!

Aye 🙂

Such a well written tweet as well.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 125
chaos33
November 12, 2023, 9:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
Anyway.... Rather than digging up he said, she said etc. how about we just enjoy a great win from a very entertaining game in which I thought everyone was excellent?

Started off shaky as hell and I feared the worst at 1 down when thru continued to waltz through our defence.  Rodgers went from a horrible first ten minutes to something like his early season form for the other 80.

Cartwright was magnificent and his command of the area was a joy to watch. I cannot believe the difference in him from the FL Trophy games. Glennon was my MOTM, best from in over a year. Looked 2 yards quicker and with genuine fire in his belly.

Midfield was spot on.  Markers laid down from Clifton and Conteh if they want to get back in.  Don't think Hunt was anonymous when he came on, was a few times he broke their defensive line with his runs but wasn't picked out.  Loved seeing more proactive subs but at the time he came on the balance of the side had gone a bit, left hand side was completely changed with Glennon and Khan exhausted.

Loads better seeing Rose not isolated, bet he's forgotten how it felt to win a header and not have to chase it down yourself.

It's very, very early days and I'm not advocating the decision. But Davies and Pearson have certainly made a good start, with that I'm sure added themselves to the thoughts of any decisions.

That header from Rose for the second goal is absolutely brilliant. I think Rose has been superb in everything he’s been asked to do.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 125
grimps
November 12, 2023, 11:03am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Looking at the table we really needed those points yesterday , hopefully we can get a few more before Xmas and start looking at the other end of the table
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 125
headingly_mariner
November 12, 2023, 1:47pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Enjoyed yesterday. We were much the better side and got what we deserved. Not sure it was our strongest team but we are certainly more creative with Glennon in the team, made a few people look a twit today after some of the silly comments when he played earlier in the season.

Thought Rose, Holohan, Green and Pyke were all excellent as well.
If you're a potential manager watching that you'd be optimistic about coming into the situation. The players showed loads of character, spirit and togetherness, not qualities you usually see in struggling sides.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 125
Tommy
November 12, 2023, 2:04pm
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
What a thoroughly enjoyable game. Genuinely the most if enjoyed watching a Town game for a long time. And I was thinking that at half-time too, despite us being behind.

There was plenty of comments on here after last Sunday criticising Shaun & Ben for not doing anything different (which seemed to ignore the early part of the game when we tried to play out from the back again like earlier in the season) but there were many noticeable differences with our approach yesterday.

You could sum it up as just being far more positive. The shackles were off and the attacking players didn't have leashes on when we had the ball to keep them not far from our defensive shape.

For starters, it looked a clear 433. Green holding with Andrew and Holohan either side both playing as "no.8's". Pyke on the right of Rose and Khan to the left of him. But the way we played this 433 was different to the way we did it under Hurst by a country mile. Khan and Pyke played much higher up the pitch so it actually a 433 rather than 451. And playing the attack-minded Pyke on one side worked well because he also drifted inside and got close to Rose.
Our two no.8's took up high starting positions when we were building play up, as did both full backs (who were playing like wingers at times). We were very open/expansive in possession which allowed us to play some really good stuff and find better incisive passes and be less predictable.

Khan was so much more effective receiving the ball higher up the pitch.
Pyke was so much more effective coming from wide rather than playing as a focal point centrally.
Glennon was fantastic, defended well and was one of our most creative players going forward. That cross for the 3rd goal was absolutely excellent.
Rose remains a touch of class but is so much more effective with support around him.
Green did his job superbly with the bonus of a well-taken goal.
Cartwright was superb too, claimed everything that he could in the air.

It was noticeable first half that we put them under sustained pressure. Plenty of corners, shots and penning them in. This rarely happened under PH late in games let alone in a first half. I enjoyed the first half apart from giving away a weak goal and was pretty confident we'd get back in the game if we maintained our level of performance second half.

With our subs, I couldn't really disagree with any of them. People were flagging, particularly Glennon who had run himself into the ground.

It's only one game so not getting carried away, but I thought it was an excellent performance. Not without faults, that we can tweak, but a massive step forward in my eyes, helped hugely by the positive mentality clearly instilled in the tactics and mentality by Pearson and Davies this week.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 125
pontoonlew
November 12, 2023, 2:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,034
Gold Stars: 176
Missed yesterday, I’ve only missed Salford & Gillingham before that so you could easily conclude that I’m a curse, especially when you consider the Barrow game felt like a loss.

3 things don’t surprise me reading this thread, Glennon playing well, Green playing well and this set of players playing with freedom resulting in a much improved performance. My frustration with Hurst was always that I felt we were being robbed of entertainment value every week, great to see that it may well not be a case of these players just being excrement.

Plenty to improve on still I’m sure but I’m convinced that the next manager ought to be excited by what he’s walking into.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 125
DB
November 12, 2023, 2:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,006
Gold Stars: 386
I think last Tuesday at Slough we saw the end of a Hurst era. Davies and Pearson tried out the old Hurst formula and it doesn't work, never has done really this season. It was mentioned after the game that they worked on a few new things, some of which worked etc.

Yesterday we saw 6 changes and a complete change. Wow, what a difference and a good result. I think this Tuesday Slough will see a different Town and hopefully a net full of goals at the Slough end.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 125
Caveman
November 12, 2023, 2:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 17
Just one other point from yesterday deserves a mention.

The pre-match minute of silence impeccably observed.

Well done you fans.

Made me feel very proud !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 125
rancido
November 12, 2023, 4:28pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96

While I'm not advocating keeping the interim managers as permanent appointments, I think their input could be invaluable to a new manager.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 125
The Caterham Mariner
November 12, 2023, 4:30pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +80
Gold Stars: 8
Phew ,sigh of relief and joy at a win Saturday preoccupied with day out booked in Spring. I raised a glass of Vietnamese beer to GTFC as i turned on phone to get a sneaky  look at score.
Lets see if we can build on this win / change of team sheet/ interim managers etc , bring on Tuesday for FA Cup Replay  next Saturday  against FGR.
UTM2023--24

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 125
ginnywings
November 12, 2023, 4:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from rancido

While I'm not advocating keeping the interim managers as permanent appointments, I think their input could be invaluable to a new manager.

What it does do is keep the pressure off the board while the search for a manager goes on. If we can do well in the next 3 or 4 games, it allows us to take our time without panic stations setting in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 125
CSLM
November 12, 2023, 4:48pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Approval: +638
Gold Stars: 12
I don't know if there were issues behind the scenes but the players seemed so much more together yesterday.
They were constantly fist pumping and reassuring each other.
As mentioned previously all of the subs and coaches were involved after the game and in some of the goal celebrations.
Look how many players are there celebrating straight away, guess that shows how many of them were in attacking positions.
The fight and determination had been what we were missing, not yesterday though.
Credit must go to Shaun and Ben.
If we carry on like that we will be fine.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 125
headingly_mariner
November 12, 2023, 4:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Caveman
Just one other point from yesterday deserves a mention.

The pre-match minute of silence impeccably observed.

Well done you fans.

Made me feel very proud !

Agreed enjoyed that. I really like that the club got a piper in before the silence and the three people playing the last post.
The club has always done this well in recent years though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 125
rancido
November 12, 2023, 7:34pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from CSLM
I don't know if there were issues behind the scenes but the players seemed so much more together yesterday.
As mentioned previously all of the subs and coaches were involved after the game and in some of the goal celebrations.
Look how many players are there celebrating straight away, guess that shows how many of them were in attacking positions.
The fight and determination had been what we were missing, not yesterday though.

I've always got the impression that both Pearson and Davies are positively mind people, full of enthusiasm and this is bound to influence the squad. This might be poo hooed by many posters but psychology and mind-set plays a huge part in how players perform.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 125
diehardmariner
November 12, 2023, 8:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

What it does do is keep the pressure off the board while the search for a manager goes on. If we can do well in the next 3 or 4 games, it allows us to take our time without panic stations setting in.

The flip of the coin is that it could present a John Cockerill in 1994 or Graham Rodger in 2004 situation, the caretaker is really getting a tune out of the side and it seems unfair to not give them longer.

In Cockerill's case we evolved even further under Laws* whereas the Rodger snub for Nicky Law was an absolute disaster.

Getting ahead of ourselves after one game, but be a nice problem to have. I certainly would like that style and tempo set to be one that we have moving forward. As Tommy says, a proper 4-3-3 with attacking intent. Not particularly bothered about a specific formation as long as it's one that makes the opposition think rather than us worrying too much about them.

*Although I'm sure there was an odd situation post-Laws in which Cockers took over as caretaker for one game, stepping up from youth manager, yet Laws' assistant Kenny Swain then got the full time job for the rest of the season.
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 125
GrimPol
November 12, 2023, 8:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -666
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from CSLM

I must add that the Morecambe team were well-drilled and very competent. The position they hold is not a fluke, so a 3-2 win over them, especially from an early goal which could have knocked the stuffing out of us but didn't is so much more meaningful and rewarding. Well done the lads. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 125
November 12, 2023, 9:33pm
Guest User
I always thought that not appointing Cockers was one of the big Town “what if” moments. Dave Booth leaving being another which I’ve mentioned elsewhere.
Reply: 102 - 125
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 13, 2023, 7:49am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,274
Gold Stars: 306
I wasn`t there so I`ve only seen the highlights but it was very noticeable how we carried the ball with attacking intent, got beyond their defence and delivered balls into dangerous areas. It`s what a lot of us have been crying out for.

More of the same tomorrow please.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 125
grimps
November 13, 2023, 8:04am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker

The flip of the coin is that it could present a John Cockerill in 1994 or Graham Rodger in 2004 situation, the caretaker is really getting a tune out of the side and it seems unfair to not give them longer.

In Cockerill's case we evolved even further under Laws* whereas the Rodger snub for Nicky Law was an absolute disaster.

Getting ahead of ourselves after one game, but be a nice problem to have. I certainly would like that style and tempo set to be one that we have moving forward. As Tommy says, a proper 4-3-3 with attacking intent. Not particularly bothered about a specific formation as long as it's one that makes the opposition think rather than us worrying too much about them.

*Although I'm sure there was an odd situation post-Laws in which Cockers took over as caretaker for one game, stepping up from youth manager, yet Laws' assistant Kenny Swain then got the full time job for the rest of the season.

If I remember right Cockers won every game he was in charge or went unbeaten, they never even let him keep a job with the club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 125
lew chaterleys lover
November 13, 2023, 9:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
I wasn`t there so I`ve only seen the highlights but it was very noticeable how we carried the ball with attacking intent, got beyond their defence and delivered balls into dangerous areas. It`s what a lot of us have been crying out for.

More of the same tomorrow please.

It's a shame you missed it live as it was like chalk and cheese. Like somebody said Morecambe were a good well drilled side but like a lot of us have argued if you actually take the game to the opposition and put in sustained attacks it is them that have the problems. Not always easy to do but where possible you have to be on the front foot.

The home crowd responded superbly which is another advantage that had been nullified due to being overly defensive.

We have been so static and unadventurous for so long I started to think the players couldn't do it, but they obviously can and the new manager will have more to work with than I imagined.
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 125
cannylad65
November 13, 2023, 9:48am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 6
The thing with John Cockerill, was that he asked the board for a certain amount of money, ( could have been £250,000, I don't remember the actual figure) for new players.

Which was refused.

John declined the manager's job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 125
Limerick Mariner
November 13, 2023, 9:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from grimps

If I remember right Cockers won every game he was in charge or went unbeaten, they never even let him keep a job with the club

Are we sure about this, my recollection was Cockers didn’t want the manager job?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 125
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 13, 2023, 9:59am
Champagne Drinker

It's a shame you missed it live as it was like chalk and cheese. Like somebody said Morecambe were a good well drilled side but like a lot of us have argued if you actually take the game to the opposition and put in sustained attacks it is them that have the problems. Not always easy to do but where possible you have to be on the front foot.

The home crowd responded superbly which is another advantage that had been nullified due to being overly defensive.

We have been so static and unadventurous for so long I started to think the players couldn't do it, but they obviously can and the new manager will have more to work with than I imagined.

I don't get to as many games I'd like to for a number of reasons (I live down south being the main one!).

You said that you started to think that the players couldn't do it. One of the things that I noticed at Slough, because we were so close to the players, was that there was a decent level of skill, a speed of thought and a willingness to attack. Our players looked better than theirs individually. That only doubled my frustration that we have been so disjointed and poor going forward.

I am an eternal optimist and I hope that the first half at Slough was rock bottom for this season. The second half at Slough was better, Saturday was good. We now have 4 games on the trot where it's not unreasonable to expect decent results (MK Dons blow hot and cold) and we can begin to have a bit more optimism.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 125
Maringer
November 13, 2023, 10:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,509
Gold Stars: 185
I do think that Morecambe's defence looked decidedly ropey, their right-back in particular really struggled to get to grips with our attack (and their No. 7 did little to help). The question is, how much of this was down to our good and positive play and how much was down to their weakness in that regard!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 125
grimps
November 13, 2023, 10:23am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Are we sure about this, my recollection was Cockers didn’t want the manager job?

I might be wrong then,
I'd have thought he's have given it a go if offered rather than go back to truck driving, he could have done that if it didnt work out anyway
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 125
cannylad65
November 13, 2023, 10:40am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 6
He was offered the job.

But not allowed money for new players.

So declined.

Words from his father Ron.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 125
TownSNAFU5
November 13, 2023, 11:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
Talking of Kenny Swain:  he was manager of Town I think when we went top of the Championship.

The Fri night before England thrashed Germany 5-1. Teams in the Championship spend tens of millions now to get to where Town were.

Those were the days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 125
Poojah
November 13, 2023, 12:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Talking of Kenny Swain:  he was manager of Town I think when we went top of the Championship.

The Fri night before England thrashed Germany 5-1. Teams in the Championship spend tens of millions now to get to where Town were.

Those were the days.

Town going top of the Championship on the same day England smashed Germany was under Lennie Lawrence.

1st September 2001. Town beat Coventry away the following Saturday, 9/11 happened the following Tuesday and it was pretty much downhill from there.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 125
TheRealJohnLewis
November 13, 2023, 12:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Poojah

Town going top of the Championship on the same day England smashed Germany was under Lennie Lawrence.

1st September 2001. Town beat Coventry away the following Saturday, 9/11 happened the following Tuesday and it was pretty much downhill from there.

It was Barnsley at home to go top of the Champ on 1 Sep

Private Message
Reply: 114 - 125
diehardmariner
November 13, 2023, 12:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Yeah I think Cockers' confirmed that he said he would need some money to take the club to the next level and that pretty much saw him exit the race for the job.  Think it was on the DN35 interview with him a few years back, my memory might be playing tricks on me but I'm sure he said one of the players he wanted to bring in was Gunnar Halle from Oldham, which seemed odd as he joined a fairly ambitious Leeds side not longer after for £500,000.
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 125
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 13, 2023, 12:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

I think it's unrealistic to blame Town's demise on 9/11.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 125
Abdul19
November 13, 2023, 1:25pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,565
Gold Stars: 216
We would never have signed Matt Green without it.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 125
GrimPol
November 13, 2023, 1:37pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

It was Barnsley at home to go top of the Champ on 1 Sep

I have a Grim Tele cut out with Grimsby top after beating (Jevons) Barnsley 1-0 with 10 pts Nationwide Div 1
Behind us was Man City, Bradford, Birmingham etc with Stockport at the bottom.
I would have included a pic if I only knew how to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 125
Poojah
November 13, 2023, 1:48pm
Vodka Drinker

Yeah, and I bet you don’t believe Nicolas Cage makes people drown either…

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 125
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 13, 2023, 1:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Yeah, and I bet you don’t believe Nicolas Cage makes people drown either…

That is a statistic!

Did you know that 74.2% of statistics are made up?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 125
grimps
November 13, 2023, 2:05pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker

To be fair it was the invasion of Poland when the rot set in
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 125
Poojah
November 13, 2023, 2:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from grimps

You’re not wrong…

This also really hammers home just how bad things have been this side of the millennium.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 125
GrimPol
November 13, 2023, 2:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker

That is a statistic!

Did you know that 74.2% of statistics are made up?

38.8% of people didn't know that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 125
HerveJosse
November 13, 2023, 3:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from grimps

We still did alright in 1946/47 so I am putting it down to the Roswell UFO incident in summer 1947
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 125
chaos33
November 13, 2023, 5:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Compounded by what happened in Dealey Plaza on November 22nd, 1963.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 125
13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.