diehardmariner
November 12, 2023, 8:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,637
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from ginnywings

What it does do is keep the pressure off the board while the search for a manager goes on. If we can do well in the next 3 or 4 games, it allows us to take our time without panic stations setting in.

The flip of the coin is that it could present a John Cockerill in 1994 or Graham Rodger in 2004 situation, the caretaker is really getting a tune out of the side and it seems unfair to not give them longer.

In Cockerill's case we evolved even further under Laws* whereas the Rodger snub for Nicky Law was an absolute disaster.

Getting ahead of ourselves after one game, but be a nice problem to have. I certainly would like that style and tempo set to be one that we have moving forward. As Tommy says, a proper 4-3-3 with attacking intent. Not particularly bothered about a specific formation as long as it's one that makes the opposition think rather than us worrying too much about them.

*Although I'm sure there was an odd situation post-Laws in which Cockers took over as caretaker for one game, stepping up from youth manager, yet Laws' assistant Kenny Swain then got the full time job for the rest of the season.
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 125
GrimPol
November 12, 2023, 8:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -681
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from CSLM
I don't know if there were issues behind the scenes but the players seemed so much more together yesterday.
They were constantly fist pumping and reassuring each other.
As mentioned previously all of the subs and coaches were involved after the game and in some of the goal celebrations.
Look how many players are there celebrating straight away, guess that shows how many of them were in attacking positions.
The fight and determination had been what we were missing, not yesterday though.
Credit must go to Shaun and Ben.
If we carry on like that we will be fine.

I must add that the Morecambe team were well-drilled and very competent. The position they hold is not a fluke, so a 3-2 win over them, especially from an early goal which could have knocked the stuffing out of us but didn't is so much more meaningful and rewarding. Well done the lads. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 125
November 12, 2023, 9:33pm
Guest User
I always thought that not appointing Cockers was one of the big Town “what if” moments. Dave Booth leaving being another which I’ve mentioned elsewhere.
Reply: 102 - 125
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 13, 2023, 7:49am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,282
Gold Stars: 306
I wasn`t there so I`ve only seen the highlights but it was very noticeable how we carried the ball with attacking intent, got beyond their defence and delivered balls into dangerous areas. It`s what a lot of us have been crying out for.

More of the same tomorrow please.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 125
grimps
November 13, 2023, 8:04am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,130
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from diehardmariner

The flip of the coin is that it could present a John Cockerill in 1994 or Graham Rodger in 2004 situation, the caretaker is really getting a tune out of the side and it seems unfair to not give them longer.

In Cockerill's case we evolved even further under Laws* whereas the Rodger snub for Nicky Law was an absolute disaster.

Getting ahead of ourselves after one game, but be a nice problem to have. I certainly would like that style and tempo set to be one that we have moving forward. As Tommy says, a proper 4-3-3 with attacking intent. Not particularly bothered about a specific formation as long as it's one that makes the opposition think rather than us worrying too much about them.

*Although I'm sure there was an odd situation post-Laws in which Cockers took over as caretaker for one game, stepping up from youth manager, yet Laws' assistant Kenny Swain then got the full time job for the rest of the season.

If I remember right Cockers won every game he was in charge or went unbeaten, they never even let him keep a job with the club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 125
lew chaterleys lover
November 13, 2023, 9:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Gold Stars: 237
I wasn`t there so I`ve only seen the highlights but it was very noticeable how we carried the ball with attacking intent, got beyond their defence and delivered balls into dangerous areas. It`s what a lot of us have been crying out for.

More of the same tomorrow please.

It's a shame you missed it live as it was like chalk and cheese. Like somebody said Morecambe were a good well drilled side but like a lot of us have argued if you actually take the game to the opposition and put in sustained attacks it is them that have the problems. Not always easy to do but where possible you have to be on the front foot.

The home crowd responded superbly which is another advantage that had been nullified due to being overly defensive.

We have been so static and unadventurous for so long I started to think the players couldn't do it, but they obviously can and the new manager will have more to work with than I imagined.
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 125
cannylad65
November 13, 2023, 9:48am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +89
Gold Stars: 6
The thing with John Cockerill, was that he asked the board for a certain amount of money, ( could have been £250,000, I don't remember the actual figure) for new players.

Which was refused.

John declined the manager's job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 125
Limerick Mariner
November 13, 2023, 9:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from grimps

If I remember right Cockers won every game he was in charge or went unbeaten, they never even let him keep a job with the club

Are we sure about this, my recollection was Cockers didn’t want the manager job?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 125
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 13, 2023, 9:59am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,282
Gold Stars: 306

It's a shame you missed it live as it was like chalk and cheese. Like somebody said Morecambe were a good well drilled side but like a lot of us have argued if you actually take the game to the opposition and put in sustained attacks it is them that have the problems. Not always easy to do but where possible you have to be on the front foot.

The home crowd responded superbly which is another advantage that had been nullified due to being overly defensive.

We have been so static and unadventurous for so long I started to think the players couldn't do it, but they obviously can and the new manager will have more to work with than I imagined.

I don't get to as many games I'd like to for a number of reasons (I live down south being the main one!).

You said that you started to think that the players couldn't do it. One of the things that I noticed at Slough, because we were so close to the players, was that there was a decent level of skill, a speed of thought and a willingness to attack. Our players looked better than theirs individually. That only doubled my frustration that we have been so disjointed and poor going forward.

I am an eternal optimist and I hope that the first half at Slough was rock bottom for this season. The second half at Slough was better, Saturday was good. We now have 4 games on the trot where it's not unreasonable to expect decent results (MK Dons blow hot and cold) and we can begin to have a bit more optimism.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 125
Maringer
November 13, 2023, 10:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,564
Gold Stars: 185
I do think that Morecambe's defence looked decidedly ropey, their right-back in particular really struggled to get to grips with our attack (and their No. 7 did little to help). The question is, how much of this was down to our good and positive play and how much was down to their weakness in that regard!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 125
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.