October 23, 2023, 3:50pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from diehardmariner
Same old story isn't it.

Let's not kid ourselves, Stockport let us back into that game.  They were about fifty levels above us in the first 20 minutes and it was only when started pissing themselves laughing at the quality of their second penalty that they stopped playing and we got a kick.

Holohan aside in the majority of the first half we were flipping awful.  He was the only one who looked to the balls about him to get on the ball and try and do something with it.  

We can whinge about their third goal all we like but Amos practically dribbled the ball like he was Michael Jordon for Wilson's goal.  

The performance did improve and whilst it was definitely more about them letting us back into it, why does it take for us to go a couple of goals behind to wake up?  As the game went on a players improved, Conteh went from looking like someone who had won a competition to stand aimlessly as a fourth centre-back to slightly resembling the player we signed in the summer.  Clifton got the bit between his teeth and looked up for it but his touch and general form has just abandoned him altogether.

Losing Holohan did us.  Soon as he went off we lost our intensity and a little bit of drive from midfield into attack.  I can kinda see why Hurst went with Khan as the change, probably thinking someone a bit cuter on the ball but with 20 minutes out that game was going to be won or lost by grinding it out in a a similar way to how Gav had done for the previous 70 minutes.  I'm not saying Andrews or Hunt would have replicated his role, but probably more so than what Khan did.

That we then went 20 more minutes of chasing the game without making a change was incredibly frustrating.  Didn't get the feeling that they believed in themselves and we definitely didn't play like a side who were chasing a point, a badly needed point at that.  We just fizzed out as the clock ran down.  

If Hurst somehow turns it round and survives the chop, that missed penalty is the turning point for him.  The crowd had already gone toxic and you could feel it brewing away in the stand.  The miss and then Wilson's goal did enough to really stop it boiling over.  

Louie Barry is a cheat-code in this division though. That's up there with one of the most dominant performances from a player I've seen in an opposition shirt, certainly in the first half.  To say he tore our right hand side a new anus is an understatement.

If Louie Barry had taken the 2nd Stockport penalty and put it away we’d probably have lost 5 or 6-0. It was turning into one of those types of matches.

For me all our problems lay in central midfield. Clifton & Holohan offer energy and workrate but little quality. We’re too easy to play against. Green being fit would help. He could do the sitting role and allow us to take the shackles off Conteh. And maybe give Hunt a run of games.

We all know if PH is sacked the first thing his replacement will do is bring him in from the cold and give him a run of games.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 60 - 61
diehardmariner
October 23, 2023, 4:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
I said to my mate when it was 2-0 that this had the 6-0 at Oldham feel to it.  Taking a beating, crowd turning toxic and genuinely felt a battering could see Hurst go.

Alas, it didn't happen.  

I don't disagree that midfield is a problem.  When Conteh got on the ball he improved and influenced things.  But even with a back four he's too deep too often, with a back five it was agony watching him stand 3 feet away from Rodgers.  He steps up just five yards when we don't have the ball and it changes everything.

I want to see Hunt play but if we're persisting with Conteh sitting so deep I don't really see any alternative other than Holohan and Clifton simply because we need the other two midfielders to cover so much ground.  They need to win their battle in the middle, try and support the attack, plus get out wide because our wing-backs aren't playing wing-back at all.  No wonder Holohan went down after 70 minutes!
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.