7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
buckstown
October 22, 2023, 9:32am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,181
Gold Stars: 79
People quite rightly point out there's a lot of football to be played. However, we're further away from mid table than  the bottom (note: mid table, not the play offs). Despite the early season gloom we've just about been scoring  enough goals recently but our defence leaks like a very old bucket.
So to take advantage of the many games remaining, something needs to change, and quickly. So what will it be? Personnel - that's seems unlikely
Formation - we've tried most of them
Confidence - possible with a couple of decent results
Manager - PH doesn't give the impression of a man who thinks much is wrong at the moment despite the chorus of disapproval at our performances. Will a new man get a better tune out of these players by changing the formation or instilling greater belief?
That's the great conundrum for 1878 and I'm not sure I'd like to be the one making the decisions. One thing for sure it needs to happen quickly because the games remaining will be pointless unless something changes.
Finally I'm not sure if praying for two worse teams than us counts as continuous improvement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 61
Ruston AT
October 22, 2023, 9:35am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +431
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from buckstown
People quite rightly point out there's a lot of football to be played. However, we're further away from mid table than  the bottom (note: mid table, not the play offs). Despite the early season gloom we've just about been scoring  enough goals recently but our defence leaks like a very old bucket.
So to take advantage of the many games remaining, something needs to change, and quickly. So what will it be? Personnel - that's seems unlikely
Formation - we've tried most of them
Confidence - possible with a couple of decent results
Manager - PH doesn't give the impression of a man who thinks much is wrong at the moment despite the chorus of disapproval at our performances. Will a new man get a better tune out of these players by changing the formation or instilling greater belief?
That's the great conundrum for 1878 and I'm not sure I'd like to be the one making the decisions. One thing for sure it needs to happen quickly because the games remaining will be pointless unless something changes.
Finally I'm not sure if praying for two worse teams than us counts as continuous improvement.

I've said this before, ( as has others), I'll say it again, why is Croudson issuing orders and where is the attacking coach?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 61
bedders78
October 22, 2023, 9:43am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Ruston AT

I've said this before, ( as has others), I'll say it again, why is Croudson issuing orders and where is the attacking coach?

Because he has a louder and more distinctive voice? He's part of the management team; everything will be discussed and agreed beforehand

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 61
forza ivano
October 22, 2023, 10:03am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,207
Gold Stars: 265

There are 32 league games to go, more than enough time for a play off place or even promotion. I‘m not saying either will happen but there`s a lot of football still to be played.

we would need 60+ points from 32 games to get into the play offs, i.e. more or less 2 points per game. To think we could do that with the strength of this division is , i'd say, bordering on delusional!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 61
chaos33
October 22, 2023, 10:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360

There is always another option. Track your fückin man.

If you’re going to try and step up from a free kick like that, you’d better make sure you’re well drilled and know what you’re doing. We’re about as well drilled as my attempts at DIY (not a euphemism). It’s always a risk that the line or timing is wrong or the officials don’t spot the offside.

Why do it? I’ve got nothing wrong with the high line but why does Rodgers risk trying to step up. And if you do, and get it wrong, don’t crawl back at half pace like you’ve just been turned away by a Pier 39 bouncer.

…and then, if you are going to play a high line, don’t do it with a keeper who’s scared of his own shadow, scared of leaving his goal line and has the speed of foot of a Honda Jazz with a knackered choke.

What pïsses me off more is that Rodgers has either not tracked his man / tried to play offside for their second goal. Just stay with your man. Learn from your mistakes.

And the defending for their second penalty. One long ball takes out the whole defence.

I was joking when I said some of our players should have a dab of speed at half-time but they clearly need some sort of sharpener. They just fall asleep. I’m sure the Fishy can club together to get them some top spec mattresses if they’re not sleeping well.

Try a sèx ban too.

Although, judging by our defending the last few weeks, they’d probably fall asleep on the job anyway.

Absolutely brain dead stuff.

I agree. All those coaches with thousands of games between them as defenders, and our defending is dogsh1t.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 61
pen penfras
October 22, 2023, 10:09am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Chrisblor
Highlights:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/12989507/stockport-3-2-grimsby-town-league-two-highlights

Hurst said on the radio his substitutions weren't to blame for their winner. Here's Pyke playing their entire team onside from the set piece they scored from (which was never a foul in the first place but that's another matter) about 20 seconds after Hurst brought him on:

Please, Paul, for once, show some accountability and stop taking fans for mugs.

Clifton is exactly in line with Pyke. Not sure why one is getting slated and not the other. It looks borderline offside, hard to be sure from that angle
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 61
chaos33
October 22, 2023, 10:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from RichMariner
I must admit, as an ardent supporter (and defender) of Hurst the situation is becoming increasingly tricky for him.

I don't think he'll be sacked unless we lose another two or three on the bounce — nor do I hope he gets sacked. He tends to get a result as soon as fans get a bit restless, but I must admit, this team looks very low on confidence and confused as to what our approach is at any given time.

We've had our fair share of injuries and bad luck, but most other teams in this division will say the same of themselves.

When we put in a terrible performance, we lose. When we put up a fight (Stockport, Swindon) we still find a way to lose. We had a stinker versus Barrow and won, so that victory instilled very little confidence in anyone.

I dunno, it feels like a real slog at the minute. Nothing feels secure. Everything's loose and very un-Hurst like. Leaky defence is a concern. I don't think he's lost the dressing room but I do think the players lack direction.

The pressure is going to crank up with every game we fail to win. I do hope we win on Tuesday night, and it sparks the turnaround we all hope for. The difficulty is that it already looks like our season is over in terms of play-offs, and the club has to somehow keep everyone's enthusiasm and support going when it's being given plenty of reasons to wane.

Good post. What worries me most is that I don’t see any visible team spirit, passion, excitement, bond with the fans etc
It looks flat. Functional.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 61
Croxton
October 22, 2023, 10:15am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,016
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from pen penfras

Clifton is exactly in line with Pyke. Not sure why one is getting slated and not the other. It looks borderline offside, hard to be sure from that angle

My varifocals say that you are mistaken. Harry is in front of Pyke and tracking a Stockport player. Pyke is on his heels and masquerading as a sentient professional footballer. Baffling substitution.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 61
1mickylyons
October 22, 2023, 11:53am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Holohan looked to drive us forward, Conteh had a better game but I'm still not seeing Clifton really doing much bar having the engine of 10 men.

Has Clifton ever been anything more than an energetic and totally committed player? I’ve never understood how so many fans rated him so highly and despite my scepticism of his ability there’s nothing I would like more than for him to stuff my opinions back down my throat. However, the more I see him play the less I rate his actual football ability and can’t believe there aren’t better midfield options available.

Come on Harry prove me wrong please as it seems your always going to be selected whilst PH is in charge.[/quote]

Harry's energy won a penalty and saved a certain goal at the other end with a last ditch last man tackle.Not sure what people want or expect but his passing not the best I accept that but the rest of his game more than adequate to get him in our starting eleven.All our problems yesterday where defensive .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 61
lukeo
October 22, 2023, 1:35pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,375
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults

Except it's factually correct. So many on here proper bealing and it's only October. It's like people have never experienced a long hard slog of a season and were expecting sunshine and roses all the way through. Time to get real, dig in and back the team and players as best you can.

Love this comment.

If you have a moment if you haven't seen already take a look at Middlesbrough start to the season and look where they are now.
I honestly think if we stick with Saturdays formation and Wilson stays fit we will be mid table (10th-16th)
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.