AncientExiledMariner
October 21, 2023, 11:15pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Are you PH’s agent? Your unqualified support of him is mystifying.

Does it trigger you that someone doesn't react emotionally? To try to apply their brain to the situation, and think what would I do in that situation?

Hurst said we were struggling for confidence. Do you build confidence by throwing players off the cliff or protecting them?

I get that in the olden days, when people got drunk, they wanted to lynch folk, and it was all really satisfying, but that's not how things work now, is it?

I'm sure it's really satisfying to say "fornicator let us down, should never play him again. fuckin' liability", but there is a little thing called contracts and budget. Pointless posturing is for show or emotional satiation, not for understanding a situation and what it warrants.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 61
ginnywings
October 22, 2023, 12:07am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Chrisblor
Highlights:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/12989507/stockport-3-2-grimsby-town-league-two-highlights

Hurst said on the radio his substitutions weren't to blame for their winner. Here's Pyke playing their entire team onside from the set piece they scored from (which was never a foul in the first place but that's another matter) about 20 seconds after Hurst brought him on:

Please, Paul, for once, show some accountability and stop taking fans for mugs.

To my eye, the Stockport player looks a shade ahead of everyone else in that still, when the ball is kicked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 61
forza ivano
October 22, 2023, 12:14am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,205
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from denni266
I think a win on tuesday will just paper over the cracks . But it is needed

it's a very very rare occurrence that I agree with you, but to all intents and purposes this season is over already. All we have to look forward to is mid table mediocrity at best. We are 4 points off being relegated and have won 3 games in 18 . 3 wins in 18. Thats relegation.All a win on Tuesday means is a slight easing of tension. Does anyone really see us going on a 4-6-8 unbeaten run n storming up the table?

i really hate to say it, but this is not the continual improvement that 1878 demands and what we might think should be happening given the FA Cup revenue n our phenomenal support re season ticket sales
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 61
RichMariner
October 22, 2023, 12:58am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
I must admit, as an ardent supporter (and defender) of Hurst the situation is becoming increasingly tricky for him.

I don't think he'll be sacked unless we lose another two or three on the bounce — nor do I hope he gets sacked. He tends to get a result as soon as fans get a bit restless, but I must admit, this team looks very low on confidence and confused as to what our approach is at any given time.

We've had our fair share of injuries and bad luck, but most other teams in this division will say the same of themselves.

When we put in a terrible performance, we lose. When we put up a fight (Stockport, Swindon) we still find a way to lose. We had a stinker versus Barrow and won, so that victory instilled very little confidence in anyone.

I dunno, it feels like a real slog at the minute. Nothing feels secure. Everything's loose and very un-Hurst like. Leaky defence is a concern. I don't think he's lost the dressing room but I do think the players lack direction.

The pressure is going to crank up with every game we fail to win. I do hope we win on Tuesday night, and it sparks the turnaround we all hope for. The difficulty is that it already looks like our season is over in terms of play-offs, and the club has to somehow keep everyone's enthusiasm and support going when it's being given plenty of reasons to wane.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 23 - 61
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 22, 2023, 2:52am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from forza ivano

it's a very very rare occurrence that I agree with you, but to all intents and purposes this season is over already. All we have to look forward to is mid table mediocrity at best. We are 4 points off being relegated and have won 3 games in 18 . 3 wins in 18. Thats relegation.All a win on Tuesday means is a slight easing of tension. Does anyone really see us going on a 4-6-8 unbeaten run n storming up the table?

i really hate to say it, but this is not the continual improvement that 1878 demands and what we might think should be happening given the FA Cup revenue n our phenomenal support re season ticket sales

There are 32 league games to go, more than enough time for a play off place or even promotion. I‘m not saying either will happen but there`s a lot of football still to be played.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 61
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
October 22, 2023, 5:17am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78

There are 32 league games to go, more than enough time for a play off place or even promotion. I‘m not saying either will happen but there`s a lot of football still to be played.

Probably one of the most deluded posts of all time, congratulations.

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 61
Yarborough Vaults
October 22, 2023, 6:15am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32

Probably one of the most deluded posts of all time, congratulations.

Except it's factually correct. So many on here proper bealing and it's only October. It's like people have never experienced a long hard slog of a season and were expecting sunshine and roses all the way through. Time to get real, dig in and back the team and players as best you can.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 61
Pocklington Mariner
October 22, 2023, 7:04am

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +33
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
On 14th October 1989 I was at Scarborough watching us lose 3-1. A particularly shambolic performance I recall against moderate opposition. The previous week we’d lost at home to Rochdale.

Buckley’s second season started with massive optimism, after the heroic cup run and with Gary Birltes signed. We’d only won 3 games in the league and were languishing in the bottom half. After starting the season with 5k crowds we were back to under 4k.

There was no social media so no frenzy for Buckley to be sacked but the moans were starting at the games. I recall thinking what was the point of Tony Rees. That season is the last time we were promoted from this level.

I’m not making any claims that PH will eventually lead us to glory. But we need to have perspective. The triggers are being pulled elsewhere but I see nothing to gain from 1878 pulling theirs atm. It’s just too early.

I was at that game too, absloutely awful performance. Rememember the "little cherubs" from Edgehill sat on the wall at the back of the away end lobbing stones at us in the away end.. One of our fans got hit so turned around picked up said stone and threw it back catching one of the cherubs right in the middle of the forehead making him fall backwards base over apex off the wall, the rest of the others disappeared and we didn't see them again. The stewards moved in and tried to throw our fan out but we had to show the stewards what they had been throwing at us to stop our fan from being thrown out..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 61
October 22, 2023, 7:28am
Guest User
Quoted from Chrisblor

Please, Paul, for once, show some accountability and stop taking fans for mugs.

I'm not sure you can blame the manager for a player not holding the line. Pyle knows what offside is. He's a professional footballer with eyes.  

And let's not forget that when the manager gives an interview post match he hasn't had the benefit of tv replays.  He's giving an interview based on what he saw once from the angle he had which was from the dugout.

Likewise for their first penalty. Paul won't have seen the incident in full through a crowded penalty box. He'll be relying on Mahers account which probably went something like "I didn't touch him"

How many times have we screamed out at a decision, absolutely convinced it's wrong....only to see that on replays that we were wrong.  

So let's not hang the manager based on post match interviews.

For me i don't think the referee had a bad game. We'll never know about that first penalty decision in the absence of better camera angles.
Reply: 28 - 61
golfer
October 22, 2023, 8:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,441
Gold Stars: 116
The guy was definitely offside.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.