7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Northbank Mariner
October 21, 2023, 8:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,460
Gold Stars: 171
Do you know what, we actually played some decent stuff today, nice forward passing and actually trued to "go" at Stockport, but the difference was we never really looked threatening, yet every time they came at us my backside was in my mouth.
Holohan looked to drive us forward, Conteh had a better game but I'm still not seeing Clifton really doing much bar having the engine of 10 men..
But the one thing that has really got my goat is Hurst today. At 3-2, at least 15 minutes to go(taking into account how much added time there is these days) I looked over and he's sat on his @rse in the dugout whilst the goalkeeping coach is in the technical area, a time when the players who are low on confidence, who've have pulled it back to 2-2, then conceded a killer blow, and will be looking to their manager for guidance, they see Croudson stood there, Hurst hiding in the dugout, what they must think in that situation is beyond me...oh, then leaving it until the 92nd minute to bring more to the attack, I'm baffled tbh.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 61
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 21, 2023, 9:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,692
Gold Stars: 79

Holohan looked to drive us forward, Conteh had a better game but I'm still not seeing Clifton really doing much bar having the engine of 10 men.
.[/quote]

Has Clifton ever been anything more than an energetic and totally committed player? I’ve never understood how so many fans rated him so highly and despite my scepticism of his ability there’s nothing I would like more than for him to stuff my opinions back down my throat. However, the more I see him play the less I rate his actual football ability and can’t believe there aren’t better midfield options available.

Come on Harry prove me wrong please as it seems your always going to be selected whilst PH is in charge.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 61
Tommy
October 21, 2023, 9:14pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
On 14th October 1989 I was at Scarborough watching us lose 3-1. A particularly shambolic performance I recall against moderate opposition. The previous week we’d lost at home to Rochdale.

Buckley’s second season started with massive optimism, after the heroic cup run and with Gary Birltes signed. We’d only won 3 games in the league and were languishing in the bottom half. After starting the season with 5k crowds we were back to under 4k.

There was no social media so no frenzy for Buckley to be sacked but the moans were starting at the games. I recall thinking what was the point of Tony Rees. That season is the last time we were promoted from this level.

I’m not making any claims that PH will eventually lead us to glory. But we need to have perspective. The triggers are being pulled elsewhere but I see nothing to gain from 1878 pulling theirs atm. It’s just too early.

On 17th October 2009 I was at Blundell Park watching us lose 0-2 to Rochdale. A particularly shambolic performance I recall, with some horrible loan signings making their debuts. The previous week we’d lost at home to Burton Albion despite Chris Jones scoring for us off his bottom.

Newell’s second season started with massive optimism, after the heroic survival run and with Conlon, Sweeney et al signed on permanent deals. We’d won 4 games out of 13 in the league and were languishing in the bottom half.

It obviously went on to get worse and we were relegated to nonleague for the first time in 100 years or whatever it was.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 61
DB
October 21, 2023, 9:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
I thought Holohan played quite well today and Clifton put a shift in for a change. Conteh was very much hit and miss in the first half but improved in the second half. What sickened me was hoof ball from Eastwood to Rose all the time who had a 6ft+ on him most of the time.

Compared to them in the first half, we lacked pace and speed. They attacked in force and we didn't. They had runners and we didn't. Mullarkey was given a torrid time down the right and their winger had a whale of a time getting passed him and crossing.

All in all, we were lucky to go in at halftime 2 - 1 down, if they had taken their chances it could have been a minimum of 4 - 0 down. Whether they took their foot off the gas or we dramatically improved in the second half I don't know; but an improvement it was.

Our subs didn't make it any easier and helped their 3rd goal. Sunday off, light training Monday and away we go against Colchester. If they start as they performed in the early part of the second half we will have a decent chance of victory, otherwise, another Accrington etc and Hurst will have to clear his desk.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 61
Chrisblor
October 21, 2023, 9:50pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,840
Gold Stars: 235
Highlights:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/12989507/stockport-3-2-grimsby-town-league-two-highlights

Hurst said on the radio his substitutions weren't to blame for their winner. Here's Pyke playing their entire team onside from the set piece they scored from (which was never a foul in the first place but that's another matter) about 20 seconds after Hurst brought him on:

Please, Paul, for once, show some accountability and stop taking fans for mugs.

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 61
AncientExiledMariner
October 21, 2023, 10:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Chrisblor
Highlights:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/12989507/stockport-3-2-grimsby-town-league-two-highlights

Hurst said on the radio his substitutions weren't to blame for their winner. Here's Pyke playing their entire team onside from the set piece they scored from (which was never a foul in the first place but that's another matter) about 20 seconds after Hurst brought him on:

Please, Paul, for once, show some accountability and stop taking fans for mugs.

What did you want him to say?

"Pyke messed up and caught them onside. I'm never picking him again. Actually, no more substitutions."

I respect the fact he covered for him against fans baying for blood. He copulated up, and he'll learn from it. Same as Rodgers messing up and giving them a clear 1-on-1 for the goal. Players need to learn from this and build upon it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 61
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 21, 2023, 10:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,692
Gold Stars: 79

"Pyke messed up and caught them onside. I'm never picking him again. Actually, no more substitutions."

I respect the fact he covered for him against fans baying for blood. He copulated up, and he'll learn from it. Same as Rodgers messing up and giving them a clear 1-on-1 for the goal. Players need to learn from this and build upon it.

Are you PH’s agent? Your unqualified support of him is mystifying.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 61
ska face
October 21, 2023, 10:36pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847

What’s wrong with being honest? No trouble caining the refs every Saturday but that won’t make any difference next week. Doesn’t have to leather anyone but well justified in saying players need to wake up defensively, especially at set pieces, ESPECIALLY 30 seconds after coming on.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 61
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 21, 2023, 10:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Chrisblor
Highlights:

There is always another option. Track your fückin man.

If you’re going to try and step up from a free kick like that, you’d better make sure you’re well drilled and know what you’re doing. We’re about as well drilled as my attempts at DIY (not a euphemism). It’s always a risk that the line or timing is wrong or the officials don’t spot the offside.

Why do it? I’ve got nothing wrong with the high line but why does Rodgers risk trying to step up. And if you do, and get it wrong, don’t crawl back at half pace like you’ve just been turned away by a Pier 39 bouncer.

…and then, if you are going to play a high line, don’t do it with a keeper who’s scared of his own shadow, scared of leaving his goal line and has the speed of foot of a Honda Jazz with a knackered choke.

What pïsses me off more is that Rodgers has either not tracked his man / tried to play offside for their second goal. Just stay with your man. Learn from your mistakes.

And the defending for their second penalty. One long ball takes out the whole defence.

I was joking when I said some of our players should have a dab of speed at half-time but they clearly need some sort of sharpener. They just fall asleep. I’m sure the Fishy can club together to get them some top spec mattresses if they’re not sleeping well.

Try a sèx ban too.

Although, judging by our defending the last few weeks, they’d probably fall asleep on the job anyway.

Absolutely brain dead stuff.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 61
moosey_club
October 21, 2023, 10:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,260
Gold Stars: 226
Some big momentum changing moments in the game today...their first penalty, looked very soft to me, shook us as I thought we started ok ...their penalty miss shook them,  a goal just before the break for us .......the ref seemed to completely u turn at half time which helped us......at 2-2 I think it was Amos who slipped in Wilson who just delayed, took an extra touch and allowed the defender to smother him when i thought that was going to be number 3 for us....then our double substitution killed us effectively.

New formation , new approach ...but same shambolic defending, same lack of clear cut chances.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.